Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Crimea IS Russian though.

So too most of E. Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

It’s up to the people of Crimea to decide whether they were annexed or reunified with Russia and not those in Washington on the other side of the world who couldn’t find the place on a map.

Looks like Ukraine is playing a new card

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Culturally Russian. Ukraine is not Balkanized so much like former Yugoslavia. Though i'm sure those Ukrainian nationalists and far right nazis the US in bed with would like to put it on that path.

• Advertisement

Nonsense far right again.....

Just shows how little you know about the situation , Just repeating Kremlin propaganda

• Registered Users Posts: 8,433 ✭✭✭jmreire

They have adapted....adapted, is that what you call it Elmer? To the extent that for every 1'000 live birth's, there are 495 abortions ( official Russian figures.) So now you have a Country where the life is so bad, and without any way to change it, women are voting the only way they can, with their feet to to the abortion clinic. And I'd say that the "unofficial" figures would be even higher. Yeah, that's some adaption all right Elmer. Oh, another thing Elmer....have you ever lived in or visited rural Russia??? If not then I'd strongly recommend it Elmer.....would be a big eye-opener for you, and all in the interests of "Self sustainability" and how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheTruth89

So did they invade the Crimea or no ?

I'm not asking about media sensationalism, I'm asking have they invade and taken the Crimea ?

Or are we just all pretending it's not happening ?

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

Sold down some stocks today could be an interesting weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,892 ✭✭✭✭listermint

More details released.

and

Seems like this is a ramp up in actions. Wonder what the Chinese will think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭reforger

This from this afternoon :

Defence secretary says he was told Russia has 'no intention' of invading Ukraine

Having spoken with his Russian counterpart, Defence Secretary Ben Wallace says he was assured Russia is not planning an invasion. 

"I heard clearly from the Russian government that they had no intention of invading Ukraine and I also heard some of their concerns," he says. 

Mr Wallace says NATO had made clear an invasion would have "tragic consequences" and he will "seek whatever way we can to de-escalate tension".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Well I hope that is not the case. There is no justification for it, and history will cast any resulting deaths in Putins lap. But if it does happen, I hope the Ukraine give them a seriously bloody nose.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

It baffles me that people put any faith in what comes out of Putins mouth. The man has proven time and again that he is a born liar. All this shows us that western politicians are **** stupid.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,892 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Jesus all the lads are awful quiet. Despite spending every hour of the week saying its all a charade being made up by the EU, the US. The media..... Whoever..

One way or another next week is going to be very interesting.....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,645 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

US now advising all remaining Americans to leave Ukraine no later than the next 24 to 48 hours.

Jaysus 😮

NEWS: The U.S. believes Putin has decided to invade Ukraine and communicated those plans to the Russian military, three officials tell @nickschifrin. Two admin officials say they expect the invasion to begin next week—echoing what Secretary of State Blinken has said.

More via @nickschifrin : Defense officials anticipate a horrific, bloody campaign that begins with two days of bombardment and electronic warfare, followed by an invasion, with the possible goal of regime change. The North Atlantic Council was briefed on this new intel today.

What capability do the Ukrainian armed forces have to launch at incoming Russian forces, like HIMARS, long range missiles etc. Do they have the capacity to strike at these holding areas if combat erupts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

It's all about delay at this point, the narrower they can make the window(i.e. frozen ground), the better chance they have, perhaps global warming is on their side. I know f-all about military but it looks like the russians were and still are focused on massive artillery,rocket platforms and tanks which makes sense when you live in giant plains. I reckon the russian state will be bankrupt whether they invade or not at this stage, I can't imagine the cost of assembling a modern 150k invasion force, Putin must be bleeding money even before the sanctions. You might say he almost has to invade now. They will be ruined financially for years.

Not much,maybe enough to buy them some time.

They do have some old soviet era missile launchers,ballistic missiles,and some cruise missiles in development,but it wont be enough to hold back the Russian forces for to long.

One thing is to invade ,another is to hold it and control it.

My guess is it will go to guerilla warfare and ambushes to bring morale down and force Russia and not atleast Putin to halt the invasion.

I cant see Putins popularity will increase when bodybags starts to come home and russian mothers wants their sons back.

We have seen that before when submarine Kursk exloded and sank.

Looks like bad things are coming with so many foreign nations telling their nationals to leave Ukraine immediately. Got this courtesy of @originalnameM Twitter account, say's it all. If, in my opinion when, Putin invades, all trade of all kinds should be ceased with Russia until he and his oligarch gangsters are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

The Fed is due to hike rates in mid-March and is winding down its QE programme. The timing of that imbecile Biden's comments about American citizens leaving Ukraine is peculiar to say the least when the rhetoric from Europe was that an invasion was unlikely and certainly not impending. The Wall Street/Democratic Party hoping to use this stand off to hold back the impending recession and November election bloodbath.

That would be my primary view as it is difficult to take the US seriously on foreign policy and anyone taking official US statements at face value must have the memory of a goldfish. There is nothing I have seen from European leaders indicating anything has changed significantly in the past 72 hours.

I think you're more likely to hear about Russian cyber attacks on the US financial system before you hear of the invasion occurring.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Ahherelads2022

If Russia does go in I would think trying to go down from Belarus to Mariupol and create a caldron. Ukraine would have to evacuate that area fairly fast, Chernobyl is an exclusion zone with a massive radius so they could start east of that, enough to scare Kiev to reinforce the city and take man power from other area's. Russia's sea fleet could pound the Central area's to soften them up.

They definitely have capability to defend themselves ,but the biggest fear comes from Russian counter artillery batteries and air strikes ,they already stopped the Russians advancing further into ukraine and maripol port which the Russians tried repeatedly to take but were beaten back by a rag tag group of defenders .

Another thing Putin had laws brought in Russia that makes deaths of Russian soldiers on foreign soil classified state secrets including in Ukraine ,last time around they were burying the dead in mass unmarked graves across Russia .

Watch when the first Russian attacks begin they will run to the UN demanding investigations be launched into war crimes committed by ukraine

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

As the west looks on, will have to build a force to compete finland poland could be next

See the mig31 with the hypo missile can be in most western cities within 10/15min posted at the front incase anybody thinks, the big money invested in EU/UK needs interest paid

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Ahherelads2022

Nato countries,. different gravy. If you think that you don't understand the situation.

With your line of thinking, that means Ireland is English. 200IQ

• Advertisement

The crazy thing about all of this ,

Nato didn't have anything to do with it ,this all started after a Ukrainian drone bombed a Russian artillery 122 gun that was shelling ukraine from inside east ukraine despite the Minsk accords banning such caliber guns from being inside ukraine coming from Russia.

This is where this all started , Putin couldn't take the idea of ukraine standing up to foreign aggression in their own country

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement