Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's really going on with the recent Joe Rogan controversy?

Options

Comments

Ivermectin as a treatment for covid. Was debunked ages ago but he continued to plug it. Having Malone on and basically giving him an unchallenged interview to make unfounded claims.

Can you point out where it has been debunked? I was under the impression it hasn’t been proved as an effective treatment for COVID. Aren’t Oxford still doing studies into it? Someone should tell them they’re wasting their time!

I'm happy to correct myself. The odds of ivermectin being an effective treatment with humans are incredibly low. The one study at a large scale that claimed it was, has been retracted. The conspiracy theory would be the claim that it's secretly effective with humans while in reality there's no credible evidence that it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,827 ✭✭✭✭Penn

From what I remember, he'd been taking an anti-anxiety medication for a few years, but his wife was diagnosed with cancer and he ended up becoming addicted to the pills he was on. Ended up having to go to Russia to a treatment facility, was in intensive care for a few weeks, and in recovery for several months. He was also following and promoting his daughter's "meat and salt" diet. A diet Joe Rogan later did for a few weeks, which gave him explosive diarrhea.

Easy to see why the mainstream media fears these titans of the Intellectual Dark Web.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭donaghs

As far as I understand this, there is no evidence it works for COVID , so therefore people shouldn't take it. I've read that was it ineffective in smaller clinical trials. But I don't think that completely rules it out.

Humans do take it though. To suggest otherwise is falling for media spin ,and taking sides on a politicised debate. .i.e. Either its a wonder-drug COVID panacea, or else its "horse dewormer" which only ignorant redneck anti-vaxxers would take (i.e. Joe Rogan).

In humans, it has been used to treat headlice, scabies, whipworm, for starters.

It has been hugely effective at treating river blindness in Latin America and Africa.

A new powerful drug to combat river blindness - The Lancet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Bill Burr used to call Steve Jobs Nerd Jesus. I think Rogan is Bro Jesus. To a certain group of people he's more infallible than the pope.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,683 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Ivermectin Arm of PRINCIPLE Trial Put on Hold

— Trial website cites supply issues

Link

That aside, do you think scientists only research things that they know will produce a positive result?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I think when you've invested so much into the message that people should get their house in order before they criticise others, you can't really make a living criticising others when it turns out you're addicted to benzos. Jordan Peterson undermined his own message.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭arthursway

It is not just ivermectin Joe Rogan promoted for treatment of COVID but a cocktail of the following:

Monoclonal antibodies, ivermectin, Z-Pak, prednisone,.

Monoclonal antibodies were authorised for use by in the USA as a treatment fur COVID and have saved countless lives.

But of course CNN concentrated on just the ivermectin in that cocktail that can be used in animals but also has been so effective in humans as a treatment for parasites that it helped scientists win Nobel peace prize in 2015.

It's a clear smear campaign against Joe Rogan as he is branded "right wing" and it's no surprise that the same left wing posters on boards are out to get him here. If they ever watched him they would realise he's not even right wing but that wouldn't fit the narrative voiced by their daily echo chamber Twitter feeds telling them the right are anti democratic and the left must save democracy while at the same time being against Voter ID.

Hypocrisy:

the practice of claiming to have higher standards or more noble beliefs than is the case

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Whats the underlying theory, there was, is a good treatment for covid but 'the man' doesn't want us to have it?

You would think they'd want us all back working 100% making them their millions.

It makes more sense to me that certain right wing elements want to disrupt the political climate and will use any old toffee to do it. Everybody loves being told they are right.

Rogan, Fox, Trump etc. etc. play to their audience.

Rogan feeds the right. He might not be himself. He's apologised for being too one sided on Covid and using the N word. These are the things people don't like about him. He did them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 zerone

That's a strawman to suggest Rogan is branded as right wing. I'm not suggesting that there aren't some who see him as such but it is no way a significant number of people.

I don't see him as such, I see him as someone who likes to talk with authority about topics irrespective of whether is an authority on that topic or not. I think he likes the sound of his own voice and how his fans revere him, but so what, he's not the only person who is guilty of that. I didn't get too concerned about him over the last few years, as I amn't really now because I just avoided him.

But I did see a number of discussions he held on the topic of Covid because I am interested in how that conversation is happening at a societal level and felt it was not ideal to have someone with the audience he has to speak as he was doing. I don't care if you list 100 things that he said he was on any more that I care about what Trump said his process was to recover from Covid, we aren't ever going to really know and I don't put it past either of them to claim what their treatment process was so it backs a position that had/have rather than whatever the reality was. They both have no problem accessing the top levels of care, we know that for sure.

There is no smear campaign against him, his own words are being analysed and people are drawing conclusions from those. He, or you, can't argue about that when he specifically sought out a career where people listen to what he has to say.

To be fair does this not seem like a smear campaign to any right minded person?

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

My memory is a bit hazzy but if I remember rightly ivermectin wasn't even giving a chance. Why?

You'll never agree with 100% of anything that's ever said with talking to somebody or listening to what they are saying but, my opinion is that they asked some very valid questions.

Why aren't people up in arms as to the completely one sided fear mongering view of our mainstream media the past 2 years that's getting plenty of taxpayer money.

Rogan also had Peter mc cullaugh on a podcast and was fantastic to listen to and opened my mind up to some very valid points.

That isn't a smear campaign, that's literally just saying what he said, and pointing out that it hadn't been approved as a treatment for Covid.

But they repeatedly called it 'horse dewormer'. You don't see the problem with that? You honestly don't see that as an attempt to smear him?

Your memory is definitely pretty hazy. It was very much so given a chance and plenty of research was done into using it. In the same way as the arthritis med that trump pushed was researched, Including human trials.... So yep definitely given a chance.

And nobody here is questioning the fact that just because somebody is a doctor or 'scientist' means that there never ever wrong?

People here questioning Malone fair enough, only an dope doesn't ask questions. But at least start questioning the mainstream media approach of covid over the past 2 years in the same way.

Because I would love to ask nephet members some questions about there decisions and the models they based restricting peoples lives on.

He can't produce an ounce of research to backup his view and hasn't conducted any peer reviewed research on the vaccine.... So it's a jackass shouting unsubstantiated opinions in a field that operates on proof.

Doesn't take a genius or peer reviewed papers to ask some basic questions about what's after going on the past 2 years.

• Advertisement

You sound like a person that hasn't even listened to the podcasts or only has them as background noise.

Joe's had people from both sides of the debate on his show the past 2 years.

Same can't be said for our media.

You didn't address a single thing I said about Malone... What makes him credible? He has no research around the efficacy of the vaccine etc. He can't point to research that supports his view. Ever hear of arguing from authority? Instead of facts, you're choosing his background rather than arguments etc.

I dunno man I never heard of him until he went on the podcast. But doubt he was picked up off the street. He has a masters degree doesn't he. Must no something about what he's talking about.

What usefull research can anybody have on the vaccines it's only a couple months old. Before covid I thought it took years to get a vaccine out.

And you haven't addressed a thing I have said about people using the same thought process question Malone, but not others that have been on our TV screens and radio for the past 2 years

There's tonnes of useful research on the vaccines. Trials began in 2020... And you're continuing to argue from authority. Plenty of people have masters, myself included but unless we can support our arguments... So you're trusting in his opinion rather than him having research to backup his views. You are sort of showing how little you know about the scientific process in general. Ivermectin wasn't given a chance, what research can you do on vaccines that have been administered to most of the globe...

People do get challenged on radio etc btw. If the research backs them up though, they find it pretty easy to backup their arguments.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭O'Neill

Speaking of Jimmy Dore, what is going on with him? Used to follow him but he's really lost it. He's clearly found a market in making false videos about Covid. He's like an American George Galloway. Funny that he interviewed him on his radio show.

What usefull research can anybody have on the vaccines it's only a couple months old. Before covid I thought it took years to get a vaccine out.

Can you see any difference between normal vaccine development and the environment which Covid developed which could lead to a difference in time scale for development.

I can give you 4 straight off the bat, but before I do that, why don't you have a think about it.

I no absolutely nothing about scientific processes like 99% of the population I happily admit. And im referring to research like Long term side effects of these vaccines?? Like what might happen 5 years down the line. Nobody knows that.

I don't have a masters but fair play, but I think I could poke holes into most decisions made be the 'experts' over the past 2 years.

I like to hear all sides of the story. Make up my own opinion then. Like most things some are right on certain things and wrong on others. Nobody is bulletproof.

And we must be listening and watching completely different media platforms if you think they have challenged the narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

If he was putting out false info about Covid his channel would not be up, Jimmy is just calling out all the BS which seems to upset some people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

The often conservative privileged types fearful of change who ironically might call others 'snowflakes'. That 'right'.

Advertisement