Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's really going on with the recent Joe Rogan controversy?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

I haven't a clue what you are talking about to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,683 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Not being smart, but that's kind of the answer I expected.

I'll explain a little and you might understand more why the Covid vaccine was developed so quickly. And I am not going to mention anything about the technological advances which allowed it to be done quickly versus vaccines in the past but considering it purely from an operational perspective.

1. One of the massive things that influences vaccine development is the access to test cases upon which to develop potential vaccines for efficacy and possible side effects. Given how prevalent covid was, this wasn't a stumbling block here. There were no shortage of patients for researchers to work with.
    2. Given the impact of Covid, all eyes were turned to it within the Pharma world for 2019 in to 2020. It became front and centre for many of the massive pharma companies as they raced to develop vaccines. there was no issue with
    3. Is associated with the above, funding, from within companies themselves and from governments pretty much presented an open cheque to assist with vaccine development.
    4. Approval bodies were ready and waiting to review all necessary documentation in order to expedite the approval of vaccines ASAP.

And as I mentioned above, I'm not talking about the advances in technology and data analytics in recent years that continue to shorten the time frame to carry out research compared to in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭O'Neill

Post edited by O'Neill on

I was a big fan of Peterson and what he had to say but you are right here. He may have ended up in that position due to the coordinated smear campaign against him, but it’s hard to take him seriously after hearing that story about Russia and his treatment. It sounded so made up and full of holes. He knew what was medically best for him when his doctors didn’t- very odd altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 zerone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

The right in the US pretend to be all about the little guy when they are all about big money. They call for smaller government, more personal freedom. In reality, less restrictions. Like the current call to stop politicians having stock in contractors etc. they are fighting.

So they tell the ignorant they are right. There is a leftist conspiracy out to control them. The media is in on it etc. even though the wealthy right own a good share of it.

Don't trust what you hear from the mainstream. In steps the likes of Rogan playing up to this audience. Telling the ignorant and conspiracy theorists they might have a point. Having heavily one sided guests and making a fortune doing it.

Its low hanging fruit.

He has admitted to being unbalanced. He has apologised sort of for using the N word a lot. These are the main reasons people don't like him. These are things he has done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Of course its a smear campaign.

Accusing Rogan of taking animal medicine is literally what they said. . There's a big difference between accusing somebody of taking a substance not fit for human consumption and accusing them of taking a drug not approved for Covid treatment. BIG difference. They accused him of the former not the latter. Hence the smear campaign.. Even CNN employee Sanjay Gupta could not defend their rotten dishonesty.

Furthermore , this Nobel prize winning antiviral they dishonestly called horse paste , is on a top 10 list of essential medicines according to the world health organization. Ivermectin has been prescribed to Billions of people.

You wouldn't see CNN mock India for treating Covid with Ivermectin , so why smear Rogan for it? We all know why. Because they want him de-platformed.

"The state health minister of Goa, Vishwajit Rane, said Monday that people will be given 12 mg of Ivermectin for a period of five days as prophylaxis to protect against Covid-19.

Rane claimed that the state government’s decision was based on studies by expert panels from the UK, Italy, Spain and Japan which found a statistically significant reduction in mortality and recovery time in patients with Covid-19, without offering any specifics."

Post edited by Ten of Swords on

They accused him of taking animal medicine because that is what it was and is widely used for.

Are they not allowed point that out?

If you think that is repulsive, how woukd you describe what Fox did/do to Fauci?

Here's what the WHO said about Ivermectin in Delhi/India.

Also warning against Ivermectin's general use, Dr Soumya Swanithanan, chief scientist, WHO, tweeted on Tuesday, “Safety and efficacy are important when using any drug for a new indication. WHO recommends against the use of Ivermectin for Covid-19 except within clinical trials.”

Posters coming out with the same nonsense about ivermectin that has been surfacing in conspiracy theories forum constantly....

Because they're using it to push a 'government censorship' narrative.

That aside, it's the same crew who are most often using the words 'far right' and 'Joe Rogan' as they try to push the strawman that the left all see him as such.

• Advertisement

Short clip here of Rogan addressing recent controversy, hilarious for the Russell brand take off of Brian Stelter alone.

He makes the point that he believes people are just yearning to have real conversations, at the risk of being wrong, in order to learn something. That’s why he believes his ratings dwarf that of CNN. People want to have human conversations that aren’t neutered by other people imposing their morality. It’s akin to the church imposing blasphemy laws. I was speaking to someone the other day and when I told them to google a controversial topic about something, can’t remember now exactly what, she said she was worried even about searching the topic on her phone, never mind expressing an opinion about it somewhere on the internet.

No one likes being spoken down to from people on high horses, especially when they are wrong. Misinformation is information that is incorrect, opinion can not be misinformation. To use ivermectin as an example, If we don’t know whether it is effective or not all we can say is that it is a falsehood to claim it works. To hold that opinion is not misinformation. E.g. ‘ I believe it works because I tried it’ may be a fairly idiotic thing to do and say (in small doses it doesn’t harm you at least) but it is not misinformation. A ‘shot to nothing’ they might call this in snooker. Many people hold opinions until the truth is known. The fact checkers have muddied the waters in this respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

The bottom line is that Joe is a good guy, I've been listening to him since the beginning and there's a reason his podcasts are so popular, great content, great guests and for the most part balanced views. Now his stand up comedy is another thing, it's dire lol.

By US standards, Rogan is about as right wing as Trostsky. But it's an unpleasant feature of polarized, dualistic thinking that for some devotees even the slightest deviation from orthodoxy will cause hissy fits and accusations of supporting "t'others" or "themmuns." Our culture and politics would be better off if each of us realized that we have much in common with any set of "themmuns" going.. that truly good and truly evil people are extremely rare and that each of us is capable of both (albeit weakly). We are no better than themmuns, whoever they are.

On the human level then, having strong political beliefs that are firmly fixed on one side or t'other is not something to preen and congratulate oneself over, but something to be ashamed of because it indicates a strong tendency towards half-wittery (literal and metaphorical), incomplete analysis, stupefying suspension of ethical standards in the name of your ideology, and binary thinking.

Radicals hate nuance. Their philosophizing is complete. All that remains of their intellect is the psychodrama that results from childish thinking.

Bush summed up that moronic state of mind (which is just as common on the left of course) with "you're either with us or against us."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

The only thing Rogan is guilty of his attempts at being a comedian and worse than that, the fact he brings up his process any chance he gets. In fairness I think he mentioned before that he's not a naturally funny person but in his mind he worked on it.

Joe doesn't just want to have an opinion, he wants to be seen to have an informed/influential opinion. This is evident in the way he states things without doubt, or in a number of highlighted cases, where he argues against the expert either across from him or experts elsewhere.

That's a massive difference.

How many times does he preface giving his opinion with 'I might be wrong, this is just an opinion, what do I know'? Because that would be a very different situation.

For example, Blindboy frequently does 'hot takes' on his podcasts and goes out of his way to say that what he's doing is expressing an opinion and that he's not qualified in whatever field he is talking about but just commenting on it.

I'm not a Rogan listener, but have seen a number of extended interviews of his and have never seen him do this. I have seen him state plenty things as if they were fact. Bill Burr was the only one who I've seen, or heard of, who pretty much called him out on this while sitting across from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

'They accused him of taking animal medicine because that is what it was and is widely used for.

Are they not allowed point that out?'

Billions of doses have been prescribed to human over the years. Its as much a human medicine as it is an animal medicine so saying 'Joe Rogan took horse paste' was obviously dishonest.

How many times does he preface giving his opinion with 'I might be wrong, this is just an opinion, what do I know'? Because that would be a very different situation.

He does that pretty much all the time. He is excessively modest and self deprecating. I think the issue people have is with the guests he has on and what they say. Often he isn’t knowledgeable to push back on a subject that may be wrong, at least I believe that’s the charge being levelled against him.

A good interviewer not only allows people a platform but that platform can also be used to hang themselves, like we saw when Milo Yiannopolous appeared on his show and was ‘cancelled’ pretty soon after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

You have to admire anyone who is brave enough to put themselves out there and yeah he has worked hard at it but I think he was correct in admitting he is not a naturally funny guy.

Well done on ranting on about the right and yet again avoiding addressing the claim you made about Joe Rogan "feeding the right". Are you hoping that by waxing lyrical about the right people will just assume Rogan is right-wing also?

You're no better than an anti-vaxer i.e. despite all the evidence that is plain to see and out in the open (evidence which I presented i.e. all Joe's left-wing positions that he has stated clearly and unambiguously) you've created / bought into some fact free narrative that you're wholly committed to defending even at the cost of evidence and facts.

If Joe Rogan was truly right-wing somebody out there would have made a montage of all of Joe's right-wing talking points and it would be presented at every opportunity to critique him.

But no such video exists. I wonder why? Well maybe the answer is very simple i.e. he is NOT right-wing. But I guess you and many other can't accept that. Maybe if I play Joe Rogan backwards I'll hear all his right-wing talking points and how he likes to eat babies for breakfast.

Rogan is a-la-carte Rogan vis-a-vis politics

He'll have Bernie Sanders on saying how he agrees with his policies, endorse him and yet then Rogan moves to Texas to save millions in taxes on the Spotify Deal.

Basically whatever suits him at the time!

• Advertisement

"...then moves to Texas to save millions..."

Is that no just conjecture though? I lived in Orange County and been to LA enough to know there's plenty of reasons not to want to live there that have nothing to do with taxes.

Maybe taxes figured in his thinking, maybe it didn't. Maybe it figured a lot, maybe just a little. Who knows.

The $100 million Spotify deal would have been subject to California state taxes.

There are no individual state income taxes in Texas.

That's not conjecture.

Very "coincidental" timing that he moves at the exact same time.

It's like - does a bear sh1t in the woods?

Let's say you are correct. I'm sure you would agree that doesn't warrant cancelling/de-platforming him?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Why do some Irish people take Yank conspiracy theorist Youtubers as gospel?

I never said that Rogan should be "canceled"

It does show that he's very "fluid" on what suits him though.

He should take some actual responsibility for giving discredited misinformation spreaders like Malone a platform and do some basic due diligence instead of hiding behind his "I'm just a guy talking with people" fudge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Who decides Dr.Malone is spreading misinformation? Unqualified journalists CNN? Who is anybody to question a guy who chaired the HHS, who was been been cited 12,000 times from over 100 publications, a member of the NIH ACTIV counsel (which manages research of Covid treatments), a guy who has been awarded hundreds of millions of dollars in research grants into infectious disease treatment?

This Misinformation simply does not exist. Its a made-up term for policing what certain political affiliations deem to be wrong think. Ironically the biggest peddlers of "misinfo" are also the biggest purveyors of it. . The more the push their smears of misinformation , the more people see them as the censorious emeries of free speech.

How Corporate Media Became A Misinformation Machine | Breaking Points with Krystal and Saagar

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

Mocking the voice of someone you disagree with is pathetic and dangerous. Liberal news outlets in the US are not flawless but they do at least make sincere attempts at reporting the truth.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

How is it dangerous?

Surely such mocking has been always with us. Spitting Image, Mike Yarwood, SNL had someone doing Sean Spicer and Baldwin doing Trump. Loads of people still say "Chinaah" in imitation of Trump's idiosyncratic way. You'd be hard pressed to find a satirical show or political comedian that doesn't throw in the odd half hearted imitation.

Mocking voices has long been around and can be irritating but "dangerous"?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭conorhal

I thought it was rather intersting that when people started looking into the widely circulated and heavily edited compilation videos of Rogan 'saying stuff', it turns out that they were produced by 1 source and that source is associated with a Democrat Super Pac activist fundrasing organization that is run by two brothers who paid for and organized this entire smear job.

It's dirty politics by Democrat activists worried about the influence of someone like Rogan on the mid-term elections. It's also hillarious that those involved in paying for and promoting on line smear campaign to deplatform political opponent, are now screeching that pointing out who was behind this smear campaign is 'an attack on their privacy'. It seems that those that practice the dark art of misinformation on the other side of the fence really don't like a spotlight to get shone on them.

• Advertisement

Malone is classic "but he knew something about mRNA over 20 years ago but hasn't worked in the area since BUT LOOK mRNA Scientist" rubbish, ignoring the fact that

He hasn't worked on mRNA in over 20 years. He hasn't worked on the current mRNA vaccines or anything to do with them. Many advancements had to take place in the 20 plus years since he left the field to allow for the technology to be useful in this area. Advancements that he hasn't worked on or researched.

Twenty plus years is a relative eternity in medical science advancements and he is simply not relevant anymore in this area as a voice of authority. Just because he was at one point long in the past when mRNA vaccines were only a distant hope doesn't change that fact.

the data from billions of mRNA vaccines administered doesn't support his misinformation and he has no proof for his claims

he's completely discredited by actual researchers are working in the area currently (and not over 20 years ago like him).

he openly holds a grudge for apparently not getting enough recognition for his work on mRNA in the 1980's. He threatened a woman (Pioneer of recent advancements) who is a likely novel prize nominee that "this will not end well" for her, accusing her of taking credit herself ironically.

he's standing behind studies that have been retracted due to being erroneous

he has shared outright lies about Covid vaccines and and the parents of a dead man had to issue a "cease and desist" order against Malone spreading false crap about their dead son to try to link the son falsely to a vaccine

he only appears on forums where he will not be challenged (Fox News with Tucker Carlson, GB News with Farage and now Rogan)

he is aligned (e.g. speaks at rallies with) with anti-vax grifters such as that of Robert F Kennedy Jr who still put out such rubbish that 5G damages human DNA and that the Gates foundation paralyzed over 400,000 children in India with a vaccine

Advertisement