Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

******* Motors Chat Thread *******

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I do check oil more regularly but I also drive my cars like I'm going for gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭kirving

I've become far less interested than I used to be in general maintenance, since I stopped basic servicing myself.

I need to bring it to the dealer to keep the history on the ECU now, so I tend to care less about all of it.

I'll do anything that needs doing without question, and I'll do things like brakes myself when the time comes as they're expensive in the dealer, but gone are the days of spending my Saturday afternoon doing the brake fluid, checking tyres and fluid for the sheer hell of it. If it's a problem - the computer will tell me long before it's urgent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I do, but only because the front wheels have a bit of corrosion on them that acts like a slow-ish puncture so I need to top it up.

Should be able to get them refurbed next month so that'll sort that.

Whoever had it before me either got rid of the TPMS sensors on the valves or coded it out in Forscan, think I can enable it via the ABS though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Yes I’d check at least monthly if not a bit more frequent. My car doesn’t have a dipstick but on ones that did I would have dipped them for oil at least monthly checked coolant level is constant etc I’d generally do it when cleaning the car.

I’d also have a look over and make sure there are no leaks etc along with visually checking brakes and tyres. I just think it’s good practice and doesn’t take long to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭passatman86

No need for me to check my tyres with a gauge. I know so much about cars - that a simple spin to the local shops in my avensis and i can tell if any my wheels tyre pressure has dropped by one psi

This is a joke

Post edited by passatman86 on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Just under half the States, to include Florida, have no requirement for a front license plate, so you can see them without, or sometimes just a fun 'symbol/flag/etc' where the front plate would go if the fitting were there. For example, this car has a Florida flag 'plate'

or guess where this driver's claiming to be from.

Tolls, parking garages, etc, photograph the rear plate, to make sure they tag out-of-state drivers. Even the 31 states where a front plate is required, it's not unusual to find cars without one mounted, at worst, it's a fix-it ticket. Around here, it's just a warning, I've been pulled over once in three years for it, and I think the state trooper on a back road in rural Texas was just bored. For two of the cars, I have a front plate mounted, they look OK. For the SL, however, I've not yet managed to find a good non-penetrating plate mount (eg one which screws into the towing socket) which doesn't mess up the parking sensors. That said, it happens that my California plate is the same letter/numbo combo as my Texas plate on my rarely-driven Audi, so I might swap out the front one for the California for the fun of it. A related 'thing' which is done is that someone who had their car registered in a foreign country such as Germany (eg they took German delivery, or were posted in the UK for a while with the Air Force etc) is that they'll keep the German front plate mounted on the car, and put the legally required US rear plate on the back. It can be taken to extremes, however.

This is generally frowned upon by enthusiasts as looking stupid.

However, the constabulary tend to be quite finicky about rear plates being clearly visible without filters, especially the sort of filter which a toll booth camera flash might 'glare out' on. Some states the rear plate also has the annual registration sticker which must be visible.

On the noisy car aspect, I think there's a difference between noisy cars which are just plain noisy, and those which are enhanced. It's entirely personal opinion, of course, but I recently rented out a Challenger SR/T with a big American V8 which was absolutely fantastic at turning petrol into a beautiful, sonorous roar when you pushed hard on the pedal and an ominous rumble when idling. It didn't go particularly fast, I was disappointed to discover, but the noise was wonderful and 'genuine'. As opposed to a Honda Civic with a loudener on the exhaust which just sounds like someone's screaming for attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Matt Watson's new car, a M5 CS. I prefer the look of the M3 but the M5 CS has a nicer interior. Well if you spec'd the M3 comp up without a white interior it would be nicer looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Very interesting, thanks for the detailed reply.

That plate on plate just looks ridiculous.

I agree a high powered engine can sound very satisfying.

Its definitely the latter example you made of honda civic etc that bothers me.

I was more referring speed cameras and tool booths in Ireland for Irish motorists who have removed the front registration plate from the bumper and have it sitting on the dash. (which just looks to me like the lack the ability to fix the plates to the bumper themselves)

Like the toll booth cameras here definitely read your front registration. And I assume AGS with a speed camera have to photograph the car and reg? Could be totally off on that one. Not 100% how it works

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I've always had a toll tag in my cars so wasn't relying on the reg. The only time I ever forgot to pay a toll was when i had bought a new car and hadn't changed my tag over yet, I got a letter with a fine and the picture was of the rear of my car. Had front and rear plates on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

I have to say the new Octavia RS is a really nice car when you see it in the flesh. But no matter how I try think about it 47k for a Skoda Octavia is very hard to stomach.

• Advertisement

I got caught for speeding by those vans and it was a shot of the rear registration plate that they sent out to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

Go safe vans have front & rear ANPR cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Conor123456

I seen a go safe speed van last night it had an amber light on the back of it and the two lights on at the side of her for traffic coming from the front of the van? Any idea what that’s for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

its a safety thing for when they’re setting up I think

I would have been caught speeding through Williamstown a couple of weeks ago, only for someone flashed me. I usually boot through that town as it is dead all the time. Nobody hardly walking and very few cars.

Then I was driving the N17 past Milltown heading towards Galway two weeks ago and I spotted one and I wasn't even speeding but still slowed down. Just in case. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Conor123456

Iv never seen that now wasn’t sure what it was I was doing 40KM in a 50 but then I though it might of been a 30KM zone but it was definitely 50km when spotted the van around the corner only for the amber light turned around and drove back down and was still on,

Seen the boards famous mondeo/mustang earlier. He has night rider style lights on the rear - for when he locks it the red light goes night rider style ha ha

Talk about invading privacy. Not only do you get a pic of the car but you also get a pic of the owner. 🤣

I was hesitant of putting it up tbh - if a mod wants to edit it, no bother

I think you should blur out the guys face a bit more.

quick search of the reg on Facebook brings him up anyway, but still.

• Advertisement

I don't get it. It's a Mondeo with a racing stripe and a Mustang badge?

I can’t remember fully but it’s had the dash ripped out and a Tesla style big tablet in the middle, I think there’s a load of LEDs stuck in the headliner, a lot of Wish/AliExpress things in the inside too. It was up for sale for insane money last year.

Has mustang style headlights and a stripe down the middle of the whole car. Think it was for sale at €20,000 or there abouts

Kinda bored just now so decided to look up the Dacia.ie site since I own one and I see they have got rid of the LPG equipped cars in the Sandero anyway, didn't look up other cars.

I wonder why they done that. With the cost of petrol atm you would think they would be selling more LPG cars and the LPG releases fewer emissions than petrol too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭zg3409

As mentioned the Dublin one is officially stopped but some people turn up anyway.

Main issue was with messing and insurance/claim liability if stewarded.

http://www.backroads.ie/forum/car-related/show-n-shine/934724-c-c-in-bray-2022/page3#post942726

The Dundalk version is very busy with hundreds of cars. It has stewards and more room.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

but how many stations out there have LPG pumps??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Believe me it's even funnier in an ancient beige Volvo... They don't know what's happening, the confusion is very amusing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭zg3409

Re yellow reg, it's often in border areas where the cars cross into NI regularly particularly for work. It's intended to reduce NI roadrage or conflict or vandalism when parked. In NI in some areas you may still get "keyed" for ROI reg, or hassled by children or adults while parking up and entering a store. Mostly rougher areas, but in the past cars were bumped from a quay into the sea for having ROI reg. More of an issue during marching season. I know a few people assaulted in NI for having a southern accent "taking our jobs etc". Less of an issue these days but in some areas it's as bad as during the troubles. My friends normally hide my reg and block my car in when visiting over night. Typically they have the correct reg in the boot for the NCT. Most with no front reg have it on the dash.

Advertisement