Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jack Reacher Series (Amazon)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Just lashed into first two, and yea, I can almost remember reading the pages in the book. It's great seeing them come to life. Will definitely blitz through it this week.

V happy with adaption!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,698 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

From memory he said in one of the books he can drive from A to B and that's about it.

Also not sure if he has a drivers licence and he might not have needed one driving military jeeps on bases.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Don't know the books at all and his lack of any acting ability made me wary of it. But having accepted that and the very clunky dialogue at times, it's a good watch. It knows exactly what it is and paces it all out very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Ah ok, vaguely remember hearing an interview with Christopher McQuarrie for the film saying that he couldn't drive in the books but maybe I misremembered or he did. Either way I know they changed his driving ability at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Just finished the season there and found it very enjoyable.

Long time since I read the book but stayed quite true to it from memory.

Definite thumbs up and would love to see another season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,713 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

He was military trained to drive and doesn't hold a civilian drivers licence. He can drive but admits in the books he's not a great driver and prefers to let others drive.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

He was a complete technophobe in the books too in terms of mobile phones etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

The original was written just before mobile phones became ubiquitous so they've obviously adapted it slightly to fit modern day.

Lack of acting ability? Did you not see him shed a tear at the end 😪

As I said, I was expecting Joel Kinnaman levels of bad acting and definitely got better than that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

ah I know, but even now in the newer books he's still a real technophobe, even latest one.

Yeah but book Reacher grew up in a relatively tech free world and military.

No way are you doing the job he did, nowadays, without knowing how to do the digital legwork too so they had to modernise the character

• Registered Users Posts: 32,972 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Only watched the first two episodes but it is an immensely enjoyable watch. He is like an ass kicking Sherlock! I only really know Alan Ritchson from the absolutely bonkers but watchable Blood Drive (and the hunger games)

I haven't read the books but enjoyed the film's (the first one more than the second).

Oh also nice to see Guillermo from what we do in the shadows!

Side note my dog did not like the Ring doorbell (owned by Amazon...) In the second episode!

Post edited by gmisk on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I really enjoyed that, I was a fan of the books so hated the movies but this was very enjoyable, binged it over 4 nights, 2 episodes a night.

Couple of small criticisms...the mayor...is a tad pantomime...and a bit foghorn leghorn...

Plus the flashbacks are totally unnecessary

Boy I say boy I say he ain't.

It just feels a bit cartoony.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,979 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

In fairness it does not look like the most tech save phone bar a text in the end it was all calls and he looked cluncky trying to open it with his big hands which worked

I just finished it today

Just on one thing as I have read the book a while ago butwas Molly Beth in this book I always thought it was a later book.

Loved then it like Its like Tetris line with the bodies in the trunk

• Registered Users Posts: 10,979 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I think he was a bit like Bos Hog in Dikes of Hazard. Flashbacks were okay it shows how Reacher got in morals and the last one was good

• Registered Users Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭amacca

Enjoyed it tbh....when I saw who the lead was I was expecting it to be a steaming pile of **** but in fairness it was good and Alan Ritchson wasnt as terrible as I thought he was going to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Haven't read any of the book but saw the first Tom Cruise film which I found fairly forgettable as in I can't remember anything about the plot. Enjoying the series so far, 5 episodes in. Reacher's dark sense of humour appeals to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

Just finished this, thoroughly enjoyed it. Reminds me of Banshee which is the best complement I think any show can get.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

On episode 2 and oh look, it's a slick talking businessman who brought jobs and money to this small town. I wonder will he have had anything to do with the murder-conspiracy ... Hmmm ... 🤔😁

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Ljmscooter

Massive well trained guy getting thrown around by tiny thugs

Was rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

I voiced my doubts early on as a fan of the books and in particular Killing Floor, the first Reacher novel.

Another reviewer summed it up for me. "Not as bad as I expected but not as good as I had hoped".

The casting of Reacher himself was pretty spot on. Didn't much care for Roscoe, Finlay was ok. He is what I had in my mind from the books. The series itself was a faithful enough adaptation of the book with some bits left out and others put in. I don't mind about the driving thing or the tech. Book was written 27 years ago. Adapt to stay current while keeping the spirit of the story.

I presume it will be renewed so I hope they think long on what book the new series should be based on. I can't remember the sequence but they shouldn't stick rigidly to it. Some are a lot better than others. The first Cruise movie was based on One Shot which would have been ideal but I guess they won't rehash that. The second Cruise movie was based on Never Go Back which was a mediocre Reacher book at best and a dismal movie.

Punisher is one that comes to mind that could translate well to series.

The last 3-4 Reacher books are written by Lee Childs brother and are rubbish. Even toward the end of Lee Childs involvement the books were getting stale.

Anyway would defo watch another series.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I found it enjoyable despite it being pretty silly at times. One thing that bugged me was these huge leaps of assumption that Reacher would constantly make. This seemed to happen in every episode.

He'll find a bag of crisps and be like, 'The killer has a penchant for fast food. He'll weigh upwards of 300 pounds and spend his evenings gorging on chocolate and ice-cream. He's compensating for a difficult childhood in which his parents never loved him.'

'Mate, it's a big of crisps. Relax.'

I liked the guy playing Reacher. Roscoe was good too. Didn't particularly care for Finlay who was hard to warm to. I'd be interested in seeing another series.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Yeah how he found Hubble was a bit outrageous. You mentioned in passing you like The Beatles, George Harrison is first alphabetically. OK.

Thought it was a great series though. That actor is Jack Reacher.

The one thing that bugged me was the one guy that nearly killed him was a scrawny little fella. Reacher knocked out 5 tough prisoners no problem, but that little weedy cousin nearly took him out. They should have had a bigger opponent. Bit overall it was a great series and I look forward to season 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Daemonic

The leaps are a bit jarring in the TV adaptation alright. In the books you tend to get a lot more of Reacher's inner monologue so they seem more a logical progression rather than a huge leap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

The blonde cop in her knickers scene was unnecessary. Feels like every show these days has to have a shot of the female lead looking vulnerable in some way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭setanta1000

I'm five episodes in and loving it...it's been a while since I read the book so I probably wouldn't spot any divergences anyway but to me it seems to be pretty close.

To be fair the books are popcorn escapism and the series matches that perfectly - it's great fun...and anyone complaining about Willa Fitzgerald in her knickers is no fun in my book 😛 [not sure if this is the correct emoji but to be clear I don't want to start a fight with the West Coast Escapist].

Roll on Season 2!

Advertisement