Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

Without the rubbish you made up about different guards being sent to different people, what do you see is a problem about encouraging people to join AGS?

As long as they're being trained and treated exactly the same as white/Irish Gardai, then I can't see any problems. If they're being used to promote a political agenda towards diversity, then, yeah.. I wouldn't be terribly enthusiastic.

Of course they are trained and treated exactly the same as everyone else!

There are currently plenty of non Irish in AGS, including our own ethnic minority.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

the background is irrelevant.

Their background isn’t irrelevant though, certainly not when Gardaí are dealing with communities of different cultures. Recruiting people from different cultures enables Gardaí to better understand those cultures values and different ways they interact. It’s also beneficial in the way that it encourages good relations with Gardaí when people from those communities see Gardaí from their own communities. The same applies to many different occupations whether it’s policing, healthcare, education or welfare.

There was a similar recruitment drive a couple of years back for more members of AGS recruitment from different cultural backgrounds -

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/seven-travellers-want-to-join-gardai-25956675.html

Similar initiatives have been developed in education to try and recruit more people who are from diverse backgrounds to reflect the diversity in the student population -

https://theirishsentinel.com/2019/12/29/lessons-in-diversity-the-changing-face-of-teaching-in-ireland/

Our own ethnic minority are Irish...

And note I said that as long as they're not being used to promote diversity, then I wouldn't have a problem. This is a political move rather than something that would automatically improve the services that the Gardai provide. As such, it's likely to have an agenda behind it.

Such rubbish. It's not anything to do with any kind of politics.

Our ethnic minority maybe irish, they are still an ethnic minority and the members in AGS do the job the same as any other member.

There are gardai from many different countries and backgrounds. They do the job in exactly the same way as any Irish guard. I'm surprised that people think other nationalities cannot be police.

it's sad that people would try to undermine non Irish gardai. They do a tough job. They don't need extra crap to deal with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

Not sure why most people here have a problem with Eastern Europeans becoming guards...

Not sure why most people here have a problem with Eastern Europeans becoming guards...

Who said that they did? You really do come out some awful shite.

Our ethnic minority maybe irish, they are still an ethnic minority and the members in AGS do the job the same as any other member.

Ahh Bubby, I do have to laugh. You make such a huge deal about migrants being Irish, but you call Travellers a "maybe"? Your hypocrisy is showing.

I'm surprised that people think other nationalities cannot be police.

Err... who said that they couldn't? hint: one poster would be a person, not "people". Also there's not even a slight suggestion of that in my post, which you quoted, so I do kinda wonder if you bothered reading it at all before responding.

it's sad that people would try to undermine non Irish gardai. They do a tough job. They don't need extra crap to deal with.

And... more shite... completely unrelated to what I posted. You keep alluding to ideas that I, or other people haven't said. You could, you know, argue against what was actually posted by myself, or others. I know that might come as a surprise to you..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Bullology. If the perpetrator of the crime is allowed to see skin color above the reason for their arrest, then the arresting person shouldn't be afforded the same playing field?

C'mon man!

Picture being in deepest Africa and screaming I resist arrest until a ginger headed, freckle faced casper from Achill Island does the arrest.

Yeah, I can see that one working!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Mainly in the hospitality sector but paper never refuses ink .No numbers given this link ? In the past older people stayed in jobs now they are treated as past it over 50 . This would go some way to solving a job shortage if they were employed not ignored .

https://tmda.ie/2021/09/03/campaign-under-way-to-tackle-hospitality-labour-shortage/

Post edited by rgossip30 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

As long as they don’t lower the standard for entry.

Taking advantage of frontline workers how low does it get and how are they here !

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40743138.html?fbclid=IwAR0oaLjV-2zIAZ28bEXKW9XJVkh1Fo3L53F6ov9lWw9xTKtGn0Zz3BmGezc

Post edited by rgossip30 on

I’m genuinely struggling to understand your point to be honest. Who is arguing in the first place that the perpetrator of a crime is allowed see skin colour above the reason for their arrest, and I don’t get the second part of the question at all. Policing isn’t just about arresting perpetrators of crime, it’s also about, well, policing - crime prevention, community relations, y’know, that sort of thing.

I don’t get the analogy of picturing myself in deepest Africa and refusing to recognise the authority of the arresting officers unless they’re a stereotype image of Irish people either tbh, and that’s coming from me earlier imagining in response to Cordell’s point about officers in the AGS reflecting his characteristics if he were to be the victim of a crime. As @Cordell is Eastern European, there was only one stereotype I could imagine fitting the description of a Garda who is like them -

’Twould make you nostalgic for the time when the Bandits were actually funny 😒

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Absolutely, it's very obvious we have no idea who lives where in this country.

Would help us remove welfare tourists (if we had a government with a spine)

What does this even mean? If someone is arrested they are arrested by a member of AGS. End of. No matter what their backgrounds or where they come from they are gardai.

There are already non Irish in AGS the entry rules are the same for everyone.

There have been non Irish in AGS for many many years, why are people now suddenly having an issue?

This is a political move rather than something that would automatically improve the services that the Gardai provide. As such, it's likely to have an agenda behind it.

That is your claim. There is no basis for it. It is a campaign that has been run many times before. There is an agenda, the agenda is to make a career in the police an option for some people who wouldn't even have thought they could have that option. More people will improve the services. And whether you like it or not, more diverse police force will also improve the service.

And whether you like it or not, more diverse police force will also improve the service.

You keep repeating these vague statements, but never explain them. You see, I explain my pov when I make them.. the reasons are contained within the post/paragraph.. but your posts generally lack such explanations.

Good post. A lot of people might not have even thought about joining the guards but now that there was this public move, some people will definitely apply and eventually become guards. Sounds like some people are going for the "it's racist towards irish white people!!", gemma o doherty route.

A good police force depends on its community. It requires the general public to feel confidence in the organisation. It requires the general public to feel secure in approaching them, either as victims or witnesses.They rely on the public for information and knowledge.

There are many minorities in Ireland who distrust the police, be they our own minority or persons from other nations. Other nationalities may come from countries where the police cannot be trusted. We need in Ireland to encourage victims to come forward in order to get help, we need to encourage witnesses to come forward to further investigation.

If people see themselves or people like them in AGS, this helps them to trust our police. Having different ethnicities in AGS, also let's them encourage their fellow countrymen come to the police.

Foreign nations in AGS also assist their colleagues in understanding different cultures and cultural norms.

Tbh, I would have thought it so obvious that it didn't need explaining, but hope that's a sufficient reason.

• Advertisement

You're advocating for members of AGS to be from different cultures (you'd probably introduce quotas on admissions to Templemore too) for no other reason than it "enables Gardaí to better understand those cultures values and different ways they interact."

Pure and utter scutter. If people migrating here are expecting Irish police to represent where they come from - they're better off not coming here at all. If Irish people living and working in other countries were expecting that there had to be mandated quotas/representation in police forces/public sector systems there we'd be told to fcuk right off and become likely candidates for deportation. Rightly so.

You move here, you accept what is here. There is Rosslare and Dublin Airport to facilitate their exit and fares are not exactly extortionate either if they don't like our systems and ways. The Irish people are not in general a hard bunch to get on with, we're in the main known for our openness and friendliness. If some can't hack that, then Ireland is not the place to be coming to. End of.

There are Irish police officers in all English speaking countries. USA, UK, Australia.

There are no quotas, no mandated representative numbers here. Other nationalities and minorities are being encouraged to see the police force as a career open to them. This is not a new thing, these campaigns have been running for years. There are other nationalities in AGS for years.

See my post above as to why having other nationalities in AGS is a positive.

There are Irish police officers in all English speaking countries. USA, UK, Australia.

Where are the Irish police officers in non-English speaking countries? Where are the Irish police officers on the beat on African, Middle Eastern and Asian streets?

There are no quotas, no mandated representative numbers here.

Exactly, most other nations don't pander to this 'woke' ****.

Other nationalities and minorities are being encouraged to see the police force as a career open to them. This is not a new thing, these campaigns have been running for years. There are other nationalities in AGS for years.

Why are they being 'encouraged' to further what aim? You might have a point if they were being discouraged or actively blocked - but they're not and never have been.

See my post above as to why having other nationalities in AGS is a positive.

Why is it a positive? Do other nationalities in AGS have a better track record than the native Irish in solving crime? Are they superior and by extension are you suggesting therefore that the Irish AGS members are somehow inferior?

A good police force depends on its community. It requires the general public to feel confidence in the organisation. It requires the general public to feel secure in approaching them, either as victims or witnesses.They rely on the public for information and knowledge.

We're a nation that is predominately white. Even our migrant population is massively aimed at white people. And then, there's the problem that "Black" people aren't one group to group together. Africans are extremely tribal, which is reinforced when they go abroad, with many tribes hating each other. So, having a Black police officer who is from one tribe could easily be worse than having a white police officer... and generally speaking, due to the range of corruption in other nations, people tend to view police officers with suspicion/fear, so the idea that having someone of that ethnic group, doesn't make much logical sense, since the moment they wear a uniform they'll be treated as an outsider.

It's different in countries like Germany or the US, where their foreign or other ethnic group populations are huge... then, it makes sense to have that kind of representation, and those police officers would be able to operate as part of the community, because it's more established. But that's not the case in Ireland. Yes, 12+% of our population are foreign born but considering the range of nationalities and ethnic groups, the actual numbers of each group are relatively small, and representation isn't going to be that useful.

There are many minorities in Ireland who distrust the police, be they our own minority or persons from other nations. Other nationalities may come from countries where the police cannot be trusted. We need in Ireland to encourage victims to come forward in order to get help, we need to encourage witnesses to come forward to further investigation.

That doesn't make sense... it makes more logical sense for foreign groups to trust Irish police officers, because they're different from what they knew before. Impartial. Your reasoning is countering what you want to support.

Tbh, I would have thought it so obvious that it didn't need explaining, but hope that's a sufficient reason.

The problem, Bubbly, is that the flaws are obvious too. Every supportive reason you've given has serious flaws to counter them.. and that's without needing to think about it. I'm sure I could find a dozen objections if I actually dedicated some time to looking for them.

That's why I want your explanations, because I remain hopeful that your explanation won't be full of holes.

You have some curious projections going on there, but to start with - I didn’t come up with the idea, I just think it’s a good one, and I can understand the logic and reasoning behind it.

People migrating here didn’t come up with the idea either. This recruitment drive appears to be being promoted by management within AGS already. I don’t think anyone has suggested mandatory quotas or any of the rest of it, but as for how Irish immigrants in other countries have fared, they don’t appear to have fcuked off, nor were they deported. Instead they serve at the highest levels of policing in other countries -

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/abroad/from-a-new-york-irish-neighbourhood-to-chief-of-the-nypd-1.4192835

(worth noting too that the Commander-in-Chief of the US Armed Forces is the descendant of Irish immigrants)

As for moving here and accepting what’s here, sure you yourself are kicking off because you don’t accept what’s here, so that same invitation to leave if anyone doesn’t like it here, which you so generously extend to others, also applies to yourself. In the meantime, AGS are simply practicing that same openness and friendliness you refer to in extending an invitation to people from different backgrounds to become members of AGS. If some people can’t hack that, it’s an issue for them, not AGS, and certainly not immigrants who are welcome to come to Ireland to avail of every opportunity to make a better life for themselves and their families.

You have some curious projections going on there, but to start with - I didn’t come up with the idea, I just think it’s a good one, and I can understand the logic and reasoning behind it.

Why is it a good idea? Do explain?

People migrating here didn’t come up with the idea either. This recruitment drive appears to be being promoted by management within AGS already. I don’t think anyone has suggested mandatory quotas or any of the rest of it,

The drive is not coming from within AGS, it's coming from Helen McEntee, Varadkar, NGOs and the media: Taoiseach calls for more ethnic diversity among gardaí (rte.ie) and The Irish Times view on An Garda Síochána: Move towards diversity is long overdue

but as for how Irish immigrants in other countries have fared, they don’t appear to have fcuked off, nor were they deported. Instead they serve at the highest levels of policing in other countries -

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/abroad/from-a-new-york-irish-neighbourhood-to-chief-of-the-nypd-1.4192835

(worth noting too that the Commander-in-Chief of the US Armed Forces is the descendant of Irish immigrants)

Where are the Irish officers on the beat in African, Middle Eastern and Asian streets?

As for moving here and accepting what’s here, sure you yourself are kicking off because you don’t accept what’s here, so that same invitation to leave if anyone doesn’t like it here, which you so generously extend to others, also applies to yourself.

So Irish people who don't like the way the small cohort of Irish lefties are changing the country - they can fcuk off out of here? You've some neck, I'll give you that.

In the meantime, AGS are simply practicing that same openness and friendliness you refer to in extending an invitation to people from different backgrounds to become members of AGS. If some people can’t hack that, it’s an issue for them, not AGS, and certainly not immigrants who are welcome to come to Ireland to avail of every opportunity to make a better life for themselves and their families.

"immigrants who are welcome to come to Ireland to avail of every opportunity to make a better life for themselves and their families." - it's should not be a free for all, the numbers need to be controlled and those coming here need to be vetted and determined if they are suitable for the requirements of both our economy and society.

You clearly didn't read my post which explained exactly why it is a positive.

Where are the Irish police in non English speaking countries? Where do you think, how high is language skills in the Irish population? How many Irish people do you see emigrating to those non English speaking countries and having the language skills that would allow them to become policemen

I have no idea what you mean by other countries not pandering to 'woke' ****. There are no quotas in this country.

Why is it a positive? Again I'll refer to my above post which explains exactly why it is a positive thing.

I realise that you feel you have to argue every single post I make, for whatever reason, but I know how the police work and I know what a positive and negative for a police force is.

this is a campaign to encourage people who may not even think that police is a possible career for them. It is not new. It is a positive.

And fyi, I didn't mention 'black' so not sure why you're talking like I was.

I already explained why I think it’s a good idea. You dismissed it already as bolloxology.

It IS coming from management within AGS already -

Garda Commissioner, Drew Harris said: "For 100 years, An Garda Síochána has been keeping the people of Ireland safe and as we begin marking our organisation’s centenary this week it is particularly fitting for us to be able open up recruitment.

"Ireland is changing, and is more diverse and multi-cultural than ever before. We want our police service to fully reflect this important progress and to represent all the communities that we proudly serve. That is why our recruitment drive is focused on encouraging those who may not have previously considered training to become a Garda.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/gardai-seek-hire-1200-new-26193924.amp

You surely aren’t suggesting that there should be some sort of a tit-for-tat basis to police recruitment in other countries on the basis that AGS are keen to members of the force from different backgrounds and cultures? Wouldn’t that be the very thing you’re arguing against - quotas and tokenism and all the rest of it.

For what it’s worth, I am Irish, I’m not a lefty, but having a neck like a jockeys bollocks isn’t necessary to determine whether an idea is a good idea or a bad idea, whether it comes from the left, the right, AGS management, the media, politicians, or members of the general public. It stands to reason that in just the same way as you suggest if someone comes to this country and they don’t like it here, they’re free to leave, that option is also open to Irish people living here who don’t like it. I suggest they don’t let the door hit them on the way out.

Whatever happened to that Irish people known for our friendliness and openness you were talking about earlier? You’re making it sound like you want to personally vet anyone coming to live in this country for yourself to see if they’re suitable for the requirements of an economy and society according to your standards. I’d just as soon leave those determinations up to the people with the authority to make those decisions, y’know, like members of AGS.

I’d sooner trust their authority than the idea of Mick, the purveyor of cute hoorism, living in a lighthouse wearing an Aran sweater and trousers tied with baling twine uniform, his little book of Irish phrases in his poca, casting a suspicious eye over everyone passing through the arrivals gate 😂

• Advertisement

Or the muslim UK officer arresting the Christian street preacher for disturbing the peace when he was doing nothing wrong but not arresting the angry muslims who were disturbing the peace

Advertisement