Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any way to wire 8V chime to Ring Doorbell Pro (24V)?

• 08-02-2022 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

My house has a very simple Eterna chime (https://www.eterna-lighting.co.uk/product/dc1wh/) which nominally takes 8VAC and used to be powered by a Garo 8-24V transformer (https://www.screwfix.ie/p/garo-8-12-24v-8va-bell-transformer/716hk). I have recently installed a Ring Video Doorbell Pro (which takes 16-24VAC), switched the transformer to 24V and bypassed the chime. I would love for the chime to be wired back to the doorbell though - don't want to just rely on the app notifications. Is there any reasonably easy way I can make the chime sound again when the doorbell is pushed?

I have read of some people wiring a higher voltage than prescribed to mechanical chimes and being ok with it. To be fair, the chime actually used to be wired to 12V (rather than 8V, for some unknown reason) and had been working perfectly. 24V though is twice as that, so it doesn't really sound ok to me.

I have considered replacing the chime with one that takes 24V but I have only found one online (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Grothe-24083-Grot-L%C3%A4utewerk-1171A/dp/B000UXESX2/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2WWVFQEK75MM2&keywords=24v+chime&qid=1644347649&s=diy&sprefix=24v+chime%2Cdiy%2C46&sr=1-2) and it's ugly as hell. There are a few more that can take 16V, but not many, and I'd have to change the transformer too which would make it a bit too pricey to bother. Also I'd like to keep the doorbell on 24V as it allegedly makes the wifi connection more stable.

Is there any other option here? The chime can be battery-powered, so maybe I can use the doorbell circuit just to trigger the chime without powering it, though my experience in electrical work is fairly low so I have no clue how to do this. Ideas welcome!

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 oppy30

I have found https://www.instructables.com/UK-Ring-Video-Doorbell-Pro-Working-With-Mechanical/ which uses two transformers and a relay, seems cheap and fairly easy to setup so I am going to give it a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,235 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Gee, reminds me of photos of 1960's telephone exchanges. 😁

What's the need for that second 8v AC transformer - the Ring transformer seems to have 8v AC on it between terminals 1 & 2 already?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

I have a siemens bell that looks like that.

The easiest technique with a none illuminated doorbell is to power up via rechargeables. Probably not the same cells that fit the doorbell though as rechargeables have a lower Voltage and will not give the output dry cells do.

If you have 9- 12Volts worth of Li or Ni Cad cells lying around, wire them to your 24V AC with a diode and resistor sized to give around 100th of their rated current.

An old laptop battery or power tool might supply the cells to give the required Voltage and the entire lot would fit in the bell unit.

Obviously you would need to test and charge the cells before putting them on the 24V sourced trickle charge supply, otherwise your visitors might have to camp out for a week or two :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I have a 16V doorbell hooked up with Google video doorbell and this chime:

Honeywell Home Ding Dong Classic Wired Doorbell – White, D117 : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

All works well, transformer was 12-24V from memory.

I haven't seen a 24V chime around, but would seem a no-brainer to build and sell (and better than the wireless chimes they try and sell with the video doorbells), but they all work at 16V anyway these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 oppy30

Not sure. I don't have the Ring AC transformer (not available anymore) and the Garo is 8VA so is under-specced for the Ring alone (which wants 10-30VA), it might be a bit too little for the Ring alone, so I suppose I'll have to get the 1st gen Ring plug-in supply like the article suggests or another AC transformer (maybe another Garo might be sufficient?).

@astrofool I guess I can give a 16V chime a try if this experiment with the relay doesn't work out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Byter

Hi @oppy30

I have the same configuration as yours.

Did you manage to find a solution to this problem?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Isn't there a chime that works with the pro

Surely the way to go

Advertisement