Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Seemed very sensible to me too. Some of the rhetoric regarding COVID of late reminds me of the Simpsons where the solution to a problem was to "Burn down the astronomy observatory".

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

The data suggested Omicron was milder but there was multiple issues.

It was way more infectious meaning even if it was less severe it could still fill hospitals at a quicker rate.

Europe's populations demographics are significantly different to South Africa. South Africa only has about 5% of its population over 65. Many countries in Europe have more than 10% of their population over 65. (In Ireland it's around 14%) Both in the cohorts over 65 and under it, Europe has a higher prevalence of people living with comorbidities.

Many European countries and the U.S were still in the midst of a delta wave. Delta was a more severe variant it was unclear how the two would combine in terms of burden on the health system. The prediction was that Omicron would outcompete delta but how that would play out in the major hospitals was unknown and difficult to predict. Turns out vaccines did exceptionally well. Tiny %s in the vaccine cover of the most vulnerable make a huge difference!

Despite being milder Omicron may actually poses a greater risk to the most vulnerable. This is because they've simply a greater chance of being infected. Thankfully, vaccination and better understanding how to dose the immunocompromised mitigated those risks somewhat. Though it still sadly remains true. Some people are most at risk from Omicron than they were from other variants. The overall 'harm' inflicted on the population is thankfully much less.

Omicron was milder yes but it's revisionism to suggest the data was unequivocal. The picture as always is a murky grey. Compared to the original wild type Omicron is not actually that less severe. It's just there's greater immunity in the population now due to previous infections and vaccination. There's also better medical treatments and understanding of the management of the disease leading to better outcomes and shorter hospital stays. Predicting how that would pan out with a newly discovered variant in a different population demographic is incredibly difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Croohur1

I'm not on twitter so I cant check her old posts. Again, my question was, what was it about that twitter thread that you so disagreed with? You posted up the twitter thread, I looked at it and was confused, as you seem to be implying she is a total nutter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Cork2021

As we’ve said she’s independent sage! She’s a afraid of her own shadow! You don’t need to be on twitter to look at her tweets! She doesn’t believe in us going back to normal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Croohur1

Right. Thats a lot of exclamation points. I've tried looking at her old tweets, Twitter keeps asking me to join and stops me. Again, as I keep asking, what was the issue with her Twitter thread? What is it that makes you break out in exclamation points. Yourself and the original poster keep going on about how she is a nutter, yet wont answer what was so crazy about that twitter thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

A friend is currently positive. His mum felt fairly rough but has been testing negative on antigens all week, went for a PCR and it was positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's so weird to look at covid coverage in other forums with different cultures. If you look at any of the "normal" subs (i.e. ones with an American bias) in reddit like r/news, the most popular comments are the ones advocating an approach where they still think they can control this.

There's one right now about how states are beginning to drop mask requirements, and most of the top comments are basically calling it crazy. One popular comment is

Covid isn't going away, but guess what "living with Covid" looks like? It's not going back to how things were in 2019, it's continuing to wear respirators in group settings during periods of high community spread.

Emphasis is theirs, not mine. So bizarre. This individual thinks that it's reasonable for there to be some kind of permanent "covid alert system" that requires people to wear expensive masks during high season. And the comment is heavily upvoted.

I've stopped engaging in any COVID conversations on reddit because if you dare suggest even the tiniest bit that the hysteria is unnecessary, they get even more hysterical.

I wonder did the pandemic become so politicised in the US that people are unwilling to stand near the middle ground lest they appear to be on the wrong side?

• Advertisement

I tried to engage with an American doctor on Twitter last week regarding why they devote so much time and effort to masking young children and so little to addressing poor vaccine uptake in their vulnerable populations. Especially given the latter issue is very clearly having a huge influence on their record hospitalization and death figures.

I got replies calling me a Covid minimiser, child killer and antivaxxer.

Think part of the problem is partisanship is so ingrained in their society. Everything is us vs them. They just can't grasp the concept of nuance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,631 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

• Registered Users Posts: 8,293 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Reddit is in no way representative of the opinions of the average American. My state just dropped the mandate yesterday and going by posts on reddit, everyone is planning on still wearing them and strongly disagrees with the governor. Still going on like everyone is gonna die.

Meanwhile, in real life everyone is delighted. I just attended the most packed yoga class ever with everyone extremely happy with the removal of the mandate, and vocal about it. People who weren't going to class because of it, came back. Then I went to the store and the vast majority are unmasked. People are smiling at each other and everything. The feeling of relief is palpable. And yes, I know it's just a mask, but 2 years of it takes a toll.

They are either bots on reddit pushing a certain narrative, or the most doomer of the doomers given you basically get banned on there for not going along with that mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,641 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭VG31

It's the same on Reddit Ireland. There was a thread there a few weeks ago where someone was asking if people would still wear masks when they become optional. Close to 90% of posters said they would still wear masks. There is no way that is reflective of the general public.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

You’re still missing the point - I’ve acknowledged it’s fair to wait to evaluate effect on healthcare systems wrt specific locations, as there are many variables, lingering Delta, indoor seasonal aspect etc, less or more natural immunity, increased transmission fuelling more short stay hospitalisations - yes all of that.

However the fact that the much-reduced virulence of Omicron was showcased to the world by SA scientists with robust evidence, and that it was so easily swept aside in favour of maintaining a political upper hand is revolting. This is not revisionism. The data was not murky grey. Omicron is , and was known to be, mild. Vaccines have aided our emergence from an emergency, and therapeutics are welcome and overdue.

We do ourselves no service by selectively assessing good scientific analysis and dispensing it or not according to vested political determinations.

I see NPHET will look at masks on schoolchildren next week. Be great to have them gone by the time the kids return after midterm. (It’s in an RTE article that doesn’t give much other details).

Also watching the Late Late there. When will the mask charade end? The audience are well-on to say the least, probably drinking beforehand.. then have to put their masks on to watch the show. But then pull the masks down anytime they’re spoken to etc. It’s such a joke - doing things for the sake of being seen rather than any benefit at this stage.

Can anybody give me a logical reason as to why I’d have to wear a mask in a shop but not in a pub?? I’m sick shît of the bastering things! This crap from MM then. Why??? It makes fûck all sense!! I can be in a nightclub with hundreds and with colleagues but will have to wear a mask at work the following Monday in a large open retail space with doors constantly open and air conditioning!!

I just can’t understand it! People might think I’m stupid or whatever but this is just stupid rhetoric by our “leader”!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Think it's just that shops and work are essential things everyone should be able to do. If people are still trying to protect themselves they probably won't be going pubs and night clubs but should be able to pop the shops etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Yes, on antigen I was shoving out negative test after negative test but my PCR was positive. Even the day after my PCR test I was still showing negative on antigen.

The OH was shoving out positive antigen after positive antigen but her PCR was negative. Likewise the day after her negative PCR she was still showing positive on antigen. Around 4 days later her PCR came back positive.

• Advertisement

Again it still makes no sense! You’ll never dwell too long and in reality you’d be social distant from people anyway regardless of pandemic or not! I never liked people invading my space so would naturally move away. I don’t know! It’s all about showing we’re still doing something!

it’s frustrating as it’ll be retail staff, HCW left with having to wear the mask for 40 plus hours a week!

I don't understand the showing we are doing something thing you are saying? I mean if everyone in the shop is wearing a mask it will reduce the spread no?

The workers in pubs and clubs are still wearing then too

It won’t reduce the spread!! It won’t! Like I said it doesn’t matter twiddly squat if I head out on a work party after work to the pub next door and we don’t have to wear masks and have as many as we want at a table! Explain that to me? Don’t mind the old people can go to the shop but won’t go to the pub. The few people that don’t wear masks in my place of work are the older generation customers. And like a lot of people said here before there’s a lot of people that don’t wear them correctly or have ones weeks old etc! It’s tiring. You’d know how it feels to have to wear one for 45 hours a week? It’s a **** pain!

The pub workers one is stupid as well, the chef isn’t customer facing so he doesn’t have to wear a mask…. Go **** figure that one out. He/she isn’t but the waiter is. It’s a joke

There has never really been any proper scientific evidence that masks do anything. I mean, we had well over 20K cases daily with them.

Reducing the spread really doesn't matter anymore either. We need to move away from that mindset.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

You wear a mask to protect others . In a shop or heathcare setting you are more likely to encounter the elderly or vulnerable

They are less likely to be in a pub or at least have a choice but they need to go to shops or chemist etc

Yes its a pain as it is for health care workers also but it is what it is

Personally I wear mine to protect others and will probably continue to do so while they are at risk

You're asking why you don't have to wear it in the pub but do in the shop. I explained why that might be above.

If you are saying masks don't reduce spread then they are pointless anywhere anytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,393 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I have to say the atmosphere in the pubs in Galway over the past few weekends has been electric. Packed and everyone in good form. Not many people wearing masks either which makes it feel very normal.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement

Advertisement