Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So who has covid? Nov 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Positively faulty.

Ah no, even if you see a faint red line, you are positive. It should get redder as you develop more virus/symptoms.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭Panrich

Well I developed a sore throat last night and had mad dreams. I’ve moved to the spare room and slept most of the evening. Mild headache too. Can’t for the life of me figure out where I got it as I’ve been very careful and don’t go out except shopping and walking the dogs.

antigens last night and this morning both negative but expect it to show positive in the morning as I don’t feel great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭Mam1996

Hi all, just looking for some advice. My 13yr old tested positive on antigen with symptoms last Wednesday so should have been OK to leave isolation on Thursday just gone. His symptoms have resolved and he's fully vaccinated with 2 Pfizer but no booster due to age. However his antigen is still positive. He's so good staying put and we're dropping his food up etc, thank God for xbox, Netflix etc. I guess we need him to stay put until antigen is negative? The rest of us have escaped it so don't want to ruin it now, there's no clear guidance on doing an antigen at the end of isolation but we're just being cautious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

^ That's my question too, about ending isolating. So if you do your 7 days, and by day 7 symptoms are gone or mostly gone, but you are still positive on antigen, how long to you have to keep doing antigens?

This is from the HSE site:

"How long to self-isolate

You should self-isolate (stay in your room) as soon as you notice symptoms of COVID-19 or get a positive COVID-19 test result. Either of these are considered day zero when you’re counting your days of self-isolation.

You need to self-isolate (stay in your room) for 7 full days. You can stop self-isolating after 7 days have passed if you have no symptoms or your symptoms are mostly gone. It's OK to stop self-isolating even if you have a mild cough or changes to your sense of smell – these can last for weeks after the infection has gone.

After your 7 days of self-isolation

When you stop self-isolating after 7 days, you need to take extra care for another 3 days to reduce the risk of passing COVID-19 on.

Be especially careful in places that are:

crowded

enclosed

poorly ventilated

hard to avoid close contact with people

You should:

limit close contact with other people outside your household

wear a face covering

avoid contact with anyone who is at higher risk of severe illness from COVID-19

work from home unless it is essential to go to work in person

follow all the usual advice on how to protect yourself and others from COVID-19"

But nothing about doing antigen tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭pawdee

My 7yr old daughter tested positive (antigen) last Sunday so she was due to go back to school next Monday. I just got a positive antigen test this morning. Does this mean my daughter has to stay home from school again next week? She had a high temperature at the beginning but has had no symptoms since Monday. My partner who's been next to her a lot more than me has somehow escaped. I think I'll go for a PCR test to confirm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

On the HSE site:

"Your child does not need to isolate or restrict their movements if they do not have symptoms of COVID-19 and they:

• have had a booster vaccine more than 7 day ago - boosters are currently only available to people aged 16 and older
    • have recovered from COVID-19 in the past 3 months and have had their first round of COVID-19 vaccine
    • have recovered from COVID-19 after testing positive since 1 December 2021
    • are aged 12 or younger and are a non-household close contact. This is unless they have been told to restrict their movements by the HSE."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭Mam1996

I'm going to do another this evening and see how he goes, it would just be a shame for the rest of us to get infected now after avoiding it for so long. I guess the HSE are not recommending the use of antigens to leave isolation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭stevek93

So it looks like I tested positive last night no symptoms negative today can I go to work Monday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,882 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

3 of us tested positive 10 days ago with the pcr.

Got another one done yesterday and I'm still positive

Edit:

Just got a call from hse. Seemingly I shouldn't have had another pcr done as antibodies remain jn the system for 6 months and show as positive.

I'm free to circulate.

Son came back negative after an infection and that says they didn't do the test correctly.

Post edited by SouthWesterly on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,814 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Tested positive on an antigen test after having sore throat and then aches and pains. Was relatively mild sore throat, cough headache, fever, aches and pains for a few days.

Does anyone know how long after a positive antigen test you could test positive for? Tested positive on day 11. Hard to find definitive info on it on HSE site but seems to be case once it's over 10 days even if test positive on antigen low risk of still being infectious but just curious.

• Advertisement

Tested positive on antigen last night. My wife has gone for a PCR because she has symptoms and is testing negative on antigen so far. Felt very tired on Friday but am ok since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭j@utis

I felt first symptoms last Monday, showed positive within couple of minutes on antigen test, PCR on Tuesday confirmed it. First 3-4 days I felt very fatigued and had this weird headache/brain fog, it was hard to focus on anything, just wanted to stay in bed and do nothing. Cold symptoms were very mild, I never had fully blocked nose or coughed a lot, and those went away within 4 days but then muscle pains started, especially in my legs, strong enough to wake me up at night.

Today is day 7 and I'm almost fully recovered, overall it was quite mild comparing to other flus and colds I've had in my lifetime. Handy week off work afterall after working non-stop through all of this as essential worker ☺️ I'm still testing positive on antigen but I'm returning to work next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Jafin

I suppose it's different for everyone really, same as any other illness. It all depends on how fast your body can fight it off. For me I tested negative the first day I got symptoms, then tested positive the next day. I did an antigen test 9 days after my first positive one and there was a faint line, and then on day 10 there was no line at all.

I have had my first negative test this morning (day 12 after symptoms) but I haven't been testing regularly (last test on day 9).

My experience was day 1 was very tired but only tested positive on the evening of day 2.

I had a couple of symptoms (very mild and infrequent headache, cough, fatigue). My wife had chills and back pain.

I was feeling ok by day 3 and apart from some coughing, fatigue and breathlessness on physical exertion, I feel mostly back to normal now.

I did have vaccine x2 and booster in December.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭Steveimitation

I've got OCD and as such the pandemic has been particularly difficult as it has aggravated my symptoms quite a bit.

I've been tested several times over the past two years and most of these times I've been negative. I do manage to keep a bit of logic in the face of the OCD though and all of the times I've been tested i did actually have symptoms. They just turned out not to be covid (e.g I just had a sore throat or I was short of breath anyway as my weight wasn't in great condition).

I finally tested positive in December for real though and spent Xmas isolating. At the time I assumed it was omicron. To my bad luck though, I tested positive again 12 days ago having been in a pub during the weekend prior. It must have been Delta the first time and Omicron the second time.

Anyway the issue I'm having is that when I'm checking the antigen tests my brain or "my OCD' will relentlessly look for any trace of a red line. I was testing aggressively red until Sunday, no doubt about that. On Monday then there was a faint red line. However today and yesterday it seems to have cleared up but in the first few minutes of the test, I felt like I could see a faint second line appearing briefly before disappearing again. My family insist it is just the test "sorting" itself out but is that even a thing? Sorting itself out? They say I probably shouldn't check the test at all until after 15 minutes but then I get caught up with advice I've read that "any red line in first 15/20 minutes" should be taken as positive.

It's melting my head and I'm actually quite a rational person when my OCD doesn't come into play. I'm even good at resisting it in many cases but Covid was about the worst thing that could have happened to someone of my persuasion and it's difficult to repel something like this.

I don't even know it I'm allowed to ask for advice here and reassurance isn't exactly recommended for an OCD sufferer anyway. Nonetheless I suppose I was wondering in anyone's experience if these antigen tests do sometimes have to "sort themselves out" in the first few minutes. When I look very very hard too I feel like I see a very very faint red line after the 15/20 minutes but if I have to look that hard to see it, is it even valid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭fits

You had covid in last two weeks and it probably isn’t completely gone from your body yet. So yeah maybe the antigen is picking up something or perhaps not. It doesn’t really matter as you are past the contagious stage.

take care. I’d imagine the last two years have been difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭Steveimitation

Thanks for the reply. A fairly difficult time all right. Well particularly as time went on. Essentially being told to do what I had spent a long time learning to resist was challenging to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,674 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

The COVIDs finally after getting me! Had a cough last night and had two positive antigens this morning.

Day 2 done. Super nasally, feels like a cold that’s sitting slightly lower than a normal one. Went from coughing to blowing my nose like a mad man. Hopefully further improvement tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,153 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Don't know for sure but think you said you were asthmatic ?

My inhalers were a godsend around day 4 and 5 but ended up on steroids and then a course of antibiotics a week later .

I have many many years more on the clock though 😊 ..hope you feel better soon.

• Advertisement

I’m asthmatic yup. Have been taking my inhalers as normal. Doctor told me the preventer should be of some help and I’d likely not need steroids!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,153 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Yes its a mild topical steroid .

One of my lads the same and he was better in about 4 days , cough gone n all .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I am smitten. Sore throat, chesty cough, mild nausea. Fortunately, I can work from home for the week, so just have to focus on keeping warm and hydrated..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Hopefully i won’t be joining the club. Next couple of days will be tedious. During work yesterday i had some genius stuffed with a “ head cold” standing right up behind me . I maybe back in a few days here 😫😫

• Registered Users Posts: 22 ms_wobbly

got covid before Christmas, tested positive again 2 days ago. just a sore throat this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,470 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Seems like there is more of it going around than before, anecdotally three of my work colleagues (and their families at home ) are sick with it at the moment, in the last couple of years we only had one at a time out every few months.

My daughter is a snotasaurous at the moment and refusing to be tested (shes six)..hoping its the usual sniffles kids get.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Someone came into work two weeks ago with a self diagnosed chest infection. Symptoms ignored by themselves and management. I worked right beside them for days coughing and spluttering. They eventually tested positive for covid and it's been two weeks since their symptoms and I still haven't showed symptoms or tested positive on an antigen.

They were allowed back into work after 7 days and they're not wearing a mask at all anymore. I thought they reduced the quarantine period, so long as people wear a well fitting mask. So they'll be more of that going on in every workplace.

It is a worrying time, expecting people to do the right thing and after two years, it's not happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

"Just a mild cold" my **** arse.

Myself and the family have had it this week.

It was milder than a cold for me. I wouldnt have known I had it had the wife not made me take a test.

Few sniffles for her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Myself, Mr Sam and two minions all positive on PCR.

I was last Monday and the rest dropped day by day. My smell and taste gone. Mr Sam , no symptoms at all yet. Minions are sniffly and tired.

Advertisement