Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

She was specifically asked the question whether she thought Spotify applying warnings to episodes of rogan was enough. She replied with a more ‘general’ answer about misinformation not specifically referencing rogan, but that’s exactly what she was talking about. Her answer was no that they need to do more.

That’s not just my conclusion, many media outlets also came to this conclusion. You can easily check with a ‘Psaki rogan Spotify’ google. And no, they aren’t right wing, anti vax sites. A few days later Spotify completely revamped its policy, publicly publishing the company’s internal rules for what is allowed on the platform, “testing ways to highlight” those rules to its creators and “working to add a content advisory to any podcast episode that includes a discussion about COVID-19,” Spotify CEO Daniel Ek wrote in a news release.

This hasn’t been enough to stop the backlash against Joe though, my contention is that they want him silenced altogether. They hated him since long before the pandemic.

Same wrong one protonmike referenced earlier. Don’t you you think it’s weird that it’s so difficult to find? The press secretary spreading misinformation should have been ripe for fact checkers to do their jobs but you and other posters continually reference this press conference that happened later.

Goes to show how bias the fact checkers are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

This is what you said, I'm veering back to you spreading misinformation, but be clear with your sources and what you are implying, all press interactions are publicly available so it should be easy for you to back this up:

With the ideal, no, but in practice the censorship seems to be very political. Like Psaki saying the mRNA vaccines had the gold standard approval when they didn’t. No one went after her. Most people understood she was trying to sell the idea of the vaccines. Who fact checks the fact checkers? . It’s far too easy to say ‘misinformation’ to shut someone up and has been done repeatedly especially as of late.

She was asked specifically about the joe Rogan podcast and was she happy with Spotify applying a warning, she said no she urges more action.

Specifically this:

Like Psaki saying the mRNA vaccines had the gold standard approval when they didn’t

• Registered Users Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Correlation isn't the same as causation. It takes a huge leap of bias to equate them

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

That is not a fact. It’s an opinion you hold, one that no rational or impartial person would agree with.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,433 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Here's what she said: “Our view is it’s a good step,” Psaki concluded. “It’s a positive step, but there’s more that can be done.”

Do keep up. Urging private platforms to not spread covid misinformation isn't censorship. How many times must this be pointed out?

You want censorship? Look into CRT in the US schools and how rampant the censorship is that your GQP buddies are railing for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭eire4

With 20 of the senate seats up in November been Republican I would say the Democrats stand a decent chance at actually getting a "real" majority there rather then the current situation. In the house I would say it would be a real surprise if the Republicans don't win it. Even if the gerrymandering and voter suppression were not part of the equation which obviously they are but even if they were not the reality is with inflation driving prices of everyday life considerably up for most Americans the Democrats will likely pay the price for that rightly or wrongly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Is biden stealing billions of dollars from the Afghanistan People..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

I knew the Biden regime would be a disaster. Never in my wildest dreams, did I think it would be this bad.

I'm fecking loving it 😁

In what sense..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

In their dreams sense, they already told you :)

I think a lot here are sleeping in their dreams. I'm trying not too.

Im open to going against "my guy".

Urging private platforms to not spread covid misinformation isn't censorship

It is though a part of a broader pattern described well by Glenn Greenwald.

But it's even more alarming when you consider that it's actually part of a broad pattern, even an explicit strategy by Democrats to use their majority in power in Washington to coerce companies to censor for them in ways the Constitution would prohibit."

Remember when YouTube removed the dislike button because of all the downvoting poor Biden got? He went on to say, “They've repeatedly subpoenaed social media companies and explicitly said If you don't start censoring more, you will face legal and regulatory reprisals,"

How is that not censorship?

There are well defined principles that have stood the test of time in relation to speech, here is an extract from the ACLU.

The second principle is that expression may be restricted only if it will clearly cause direct and imminent harm to an important societal interest. The classic example is falsely shouting fire in a crowded theater and causing a stampede. Even then, the speech may be silenced or punished only if there is no other way to avert the harm.

The argument being made is that COVID misinformation is possibly harmful and may lead to people not taking vaccines/boosters causing more harm. This misses the second part of this second principle in that there is a way avert the harm of misinformation- with real information. With the example of a fire in a theatre there is no way to avert harm.

Censorship, the suppression of words, images, or ideas that are "offensive," happens whenever some people succeed in imposing their personal political or moral values on others. Censorship can be carried out by the government as well as private pressure groups. Censorship by the government is unconstitutional. -ACLU

• Registered Users Posts: 21,558 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Not as much as I am I'd say, because having lived through 2016 - 2020 it's a massive relief to be judging a President on what his policies instead of his lies, idiocy and ineptitude.

If what he was saying was incorrect I suspect you’d have dealt with that. You can read anything you like, or not, but your immature taking of offence speaks volumes.

You’re probably not aware of the times big tech has been subpoenaed and the types of questions that were asked, but don’t let that offend you. You can look it up. Your posts with zero argument has led to me not to want to engage you in the future. You asked me twice on two separate threads what the ‘n’ word means but at this point I’m considering it harassment. Unless you have some argument to make don’t expect me to follow you down any rabbit holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,558 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I explained how he was incorrect 36 hours ago.

Maybe you don't remember. It would explain you spending today focused on the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Can’t argue with all your points and facts.

Oh!

Except you've not produced any actual proof. Greenwald is expressing an opinion but still largely devoid of proof. Also given that the largest platforms in the globe haven't gone to the courts over freedom of speech violations by the administration, it indicates it's really not based on reality. You've basically pushed conspiracy theories about censorship but can't produce any basis that they're responsible for platform changes. Eg the dislike button being removed because of Biden, it's basically no different to stuff you'd read on Infowars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

You've basically pushed conspiracy theories about censorship but can't produce any basis that they're responsible for platform changes. Eg the dislike button being removed because of Biden, it's basically no different to stuff you'd read on Infowars.

This is what watching Tucker Carlson results in

• Registered Users Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Joe Rogan has now been dropped from commentating at Ufc 271, watch how the clapping seals will try and blame the Biden administration

Post edited by duploelabs on

• Advertisement

The MAGA-themed ‘Let’s Go Brandon’ Ethereum cryptocurrency in early January 2022, had a liquidity pool worth north of $6.5 million. That pot of money has since dried up, leaving a liquidity pool of less than $10,000.

lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Glenn greenwald is an actual journalist. Like one who has really changed the world. He hasn't changed. It's shocking how he is being demonized and cast as "right wing". I mean, that should give people pause for thought surely? Maybe listen to what he is saying? Just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,433 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Sure. He's entitled to his opinion. But that's all it us, not facts proving anything about censorship that is being alleged by boxy

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Your lordship needs to dial back on the arrogance.

It's just politically self defeating.

Look at what it did to Labour in Scotland and England, look at the destruction of the left across Europe, in countries where such parties were often in Govt.

Not liking the electorate or the voter base is one thing, never shutting up complaining about them is another.

Post edited by Danzy on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

CRT is a toxic and hideously divisive ideology that has no place in schools or the universities that it emerged from.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,948 ✭✭✭Christy42

Errr. Scotland went further left and Labour went because someone else went for the same demographic but was offering more.

What countries traditionally had left wing governments that now have American style right wing? Eastern Europe is all I can think of that have that at the moment and they have been fairly traditionally right wing.

It really would make you wonder about the mental capacity of a lot of people..

Yeah, Trump broke a lot of people, and there will always be some just partisan hacks,but it's hard not to come to the conclusion that a lot of people just don't actually think, ad just repeat what they see in media..Honestly troubling..

Greenwald is one of the few journalists who remember what the word 'journalism' means..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

You have run away on it. Where did you get American style right wing govts from?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Advertisement