Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superbowl LVI Thread - Los Angeles Rams v Cincinatti Bengals

Options
  • 31-01-2022 9:15pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

For the 2nd year running, the Superbowl will take place in one of the participants home stadiums with the big game set to be played at SoFi stadium in Los Angeles on Sunday 13th of February at 11.30pm.

The Bengals will be making their 3rd trip still looking for their maiden win whilst the it will be a 5th appearance for the Rams looking to add to their 1999 title.

Matt Stafford in his 13th season makes a debut appearance while Joe Burrow becomes the first overall number 1 pick to play a Superbowl in their 2nd season.

Al Michaels and Cris Collinsworth will be calling the game for NBC while coverage is on Sky and BBC for Irish viewers. Ron Torbert will be the Head Referee for the match up.

Rams are 3.5 point favourites. Halftime entertainment will be Dr Dre, Snoop Dogg, Mary J Blige, Eminem and Kendrick Lamar.

Superbowl LVI Thread - Los Angeles Rams v Cincinatti Bengals 77 votes

Cincinnati Bengals
    42%
    ButcherOfNog[Deleted User]Xavi6genericgoonMr. GuappaHalloweenJackdeisedudeboccersbennyl10cj maxxItssoeasyger664myateratoath25martingriffthelostboys23Whitters22Call me Aldh1985Boar Hunter 33 votes
    LA Rams
    57%
    irishgeoPalefaceBatemanBernsnuttyboy79jv2000chopperbyrneadrian522Kev8360writhendakarOptimus CaesarredarmyCR 7MorrisseeeecollybyrneipitydafoolInteresting101mossy464The_Honeybadger 44 votes
    Post edited by adrian522 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,939 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

LA Rams

Thanks Adrian for adding the poll

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Cincinnati Bengals

I want the Bengals to win but think that the Rams have the edge on paper.

So keen for the half time show, the recent trailer for it had me pumped.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Optimus Caesar

LA Rams

As a Rams fan of 25 years I'm going to say Rams and Donald wins MVP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

LA Rams

Would love for the Bengals to complete the fairytale and perhaps the most remarkable Superbowl run in quite some time but I think the Rams will be comfortable enough here. Should be a low scoring game with 20 points being enough to win.

On another point, while Burrow has been the fastest #1 pick to make the Superbowl, Stafford became the longest (of those that have made it), extending the record from 10 seasons to 13. It's also the first Superbowl since Superbowl XIII to feature 2 QBs wearing the same number.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭myate

Cincinnati Bengals

Rams have been designated the away team in their own stadium for this game! Makes very little difference except they'll probably be playing in white (Bengals have the choice). As a Niner fan, we had to sit through Romo's biased commentary against Dallas, and Buck/Aikman (not as bad as Romo) against the Rams...so Rams fans enjoy Collinsworth going all out for his Bengals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

LA Rams

Head says Rams cause Defences win SB's, heart says Bengals, fairy-tale story.

Can Joe Cool be the new Brady ?!

Stadium is the most expensive in the world, built for $5.5B, was to cost $2.5B, must have been an Irish contractor :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

LA Rams

I went for Rams on the poll only due to them having home advantage aside from that this game is a hard one to call

I'll be rooting for cool Joey B and the Bengals it would be something if they pull this off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

LA Rams

Hoping to see the Bengals put an end to many, many years of hurt with a win. If I was a betting man, I'd probably go with the Rams though.

The Rams have done that thing where they have just bought all the best players......it is tough to root for a team that is built that way instead of, through the draft for example....but then again, who says what the "right" way is to build a team.

What was amazing about the Bengals win over the Chiefs last weekend though, was the adjustments they made at halftime. Sure the Chiefs have to take a little of the blame, but they made Mahomes look awful, and the coverage held up time after time while he tried to extend the play . If the same happens with the Rams, I'm not sure Stafford will have the mobility to keep the play alive. (in fact I know he won't)

So in summary, if we get to see 2nd half Bengals, they will win. 1st half Bengals, the Rams will win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Cincinnati Bengals

nice write up.

Feel there is more momentum with the Bengals

prob the better defense and more weapons in attack

Bengals by 15

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭collybyrne

LA Rams

175 - 109 for the season so far

Heart says Bengals head says Rams so went with the Rams for my pick. Not that if Aaron Donald gets his ring next week I can't say I'll be disappointed for him. One of the all time greats imo.

It seems appropriate that the strangest year in the NFL ends up in one of the strangest Super Bowl line ups and is currently having the strangest build up to a Super Bowl I can remember. Totally over-shadowed by the Flores lawsuit and Brady's retirement. Maybe it's no harm and keeps some of the spotlight off the players for at least a week. Here's hoping for a close one and just maybe the fairy-tale ending for the Bengals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,874 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Cincinnati Bengals

173-111 for the season up until the super bowl which as I said in the conference championship game thread I’m happy enough with.

I picked the bengals partly because of the story of them getting here when few believed they would, and because I don’t think there’s any pressure on them. They weren’t expected to be in the super bowl this year(and any year) and their no1 overall pick QB was coming off an ACL repair. They’re playing with house money next Sunday week.

yes, I know because of the rotation the rams are designated the “away” team but they clearly aren’t and they have the better team overall but this is the first super bowl back in LA since the rams returned and it’ll be a big show and while there aren’t all the same players on the rams, Mcvay and the team the last time out against the patriots didn’t turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭OU812

LA Rams

Just signed up for the 99c offer for the nfl app. Looking forward to this and the half time show

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Cincinnati Bengals

Picked the Bengals, but that's heart ruling head really. After seeing what the Titans DL did to Burrow you'd have to think Donald and co. will have him running for his life all day. It's a funny one... I don't like the Rams as a franchise, but they've lots of players I wouldn't mind seeing win one... Kupp, Stafford, Whitworth, Donald, Ramsey, even OBJ, and more. Will still be rooting for the Bengals though.. they've found a way so far....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Cincinnati Bengals

Hoping that the Bengals do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Kev8360

LA Rams

Going to go for the Rams - they have gone all in this year and their defense is so good. The experience in the Super Bowl vs the Patriots is still fresh and I cant see them making the same mistakes again.

that said I would love to see the Bengals win one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭Paleface

LA Rams

8 - 3 for the playoffs and 182 - 102 overall

Have to go for the Rams.

At the start of the year I felt they would go for broke to win it all with the Superbowl being hosted in their own stadium. Moving the team back to LA, then moving into what is an incredible stadium (that came with an equally incredible price tag) and now vying to become the biggest name in LA sports has been the long term vision of Stan Kroenke. This will come to fruition on Sunday.

As a Seahawks fan its sickening to watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,275 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm shouting for the Bengals like almost everybody else.

The fear is Donald and Miller have a free run at Burrow too often.

Head says Rams, gut says Bengals.

Burrow is very special and on his last big day he broke records, that was the NCAA championship game two years.

I'll pick the Bengals to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,113 ✭✭✭threeball

LA Rams

Rams but I really hope the Bengals do it. A real phoenix from the ashes moment. Hard to see their O-Line get moving against the Rams though.

In saying that SF hurt the Rams with very little run game a Jimmy G throwing short snappy passes. Burrow can does that at levels above Jimmy G and has much better receivers to aim for. So its not a dead cert. No pressure whatsoever on the Bengals but Rams are very much in win now mode before the team disintegrates. That pressure can hurt a team in an event like this.

The NFL's obsession with 40m split times all seems a little silly when you see what Cooper Kupp is doing year in year out. He's miles off the fastest guy but he runs the best routes and has the best hands. Far more important than out and out speed in 90% of situations. Outside the top 25-30 receivers the catching ability is hit and miss, more often miss but they can run freakish sprint times. All completely useless when you drop the pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭OU812

LA Rams

There’s a heat warning after being issued for LA this weekend. Expecting temps of 85°+

• Registered Users Posts: 5,314 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I hope the Bengals win this. But I much prefer Cleveland over Cincinnati so I only support them becos Rams are so unlikeable. I think this will be a terrible super bowl and it should have been Chiefs vs Packers. Go Pack go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

@Man Vs ManUre Big Packers fan myself. They are undoubtedly my favourite NFL team playing in Green Bay

Rogers mvp that’s what I’m talking about. Go Pack Go the real champs this season, last season too and definite champs next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,871 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

LA Rams

Please keep posting things like this, its getting me through the wait for the big game!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Dogby

Didn't they get eliminated by scoring 10 points at home in the playoffs? He earned the MVP but he might not even be on the Packers next year and if he's not, they might not even make the playoffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

Don't let the haters get you down. Rogers is the greatest MVP we currently have. Let's go my favourite NFL team playing in Green Bay

Too right. Everyone hates the Hollywood Rams they got no history they will probably move to Hawaii or London next. No tourists may go to Green Bay but we got the greatest team in the world, the best qb1 in history, the most iconic stadium in the league especially when it snows and let’s not forget, we got making a murderer which is the best show on Netflix. Them them Hollywood execs had to get involved and make a crappy season 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,874 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Cincinnati Bengals

What the ever loving hell are you on about ? The rams spent nearly fifty years in LA prior to moving to St. Louis. What happened in 2016 was a return to where the rams franchise imo belongs.

I hope ye win tomorrow. But only because Rams are so unlikeable and it is probably the only super bowl ye will ever get to. We all know that any of Packers, Chiefs or Bills would beat either Bengals or Rams this season 99 out of 100 times. There is a reason why you cannot buy the Packers wooly hat in any shop in Dublin, that is because we are so widely loved. Go Pack go.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,275 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It's clear that either you haven't a clue about football or you are trolling.

Either way most will just look.and laugh at the stupidity of your recent posts in this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Imagine how insufferable he'd be if Rogers was a successful QB.

Advertisement