Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,219 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Jesus, i'm actually at BEP on PTON, its up 32% today, time to dump this donkey

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭RaggyDays

Hold tough only rumours at the moment, it's up because it looks like they are going to be bought. If true then it will go higher

Just read that they also apparently laid off 2800 people this morning!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I've got Peloton shares too. It's such a marmite company.

I love the product and think someone will definitely buy it, be it Amazon or Nike. It's too attractive to those companies.

The current week's spike sounds like a bit of a short squeeze. Lot of hedge funds were short, then it got a raft of good news this week, laid off people, potential buyout, new CEO, caught a lot of hedge funds. Have a look at Stich Fix price last year if you want to see what a real (ie not WSB) short squeeze can do.

I think it'll be bought out, but it might be for $50 a share, don't think it'll be anywhere near the $150+ we saw last year unfortunately.

I think PTON is also a good fit for Apple. Their products already have a good and seamless integration with Apple products and a subscription model that would work as an add on to Apple+ TV line up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I don't see why they'd buy PTON when they could just develop their own.

How many billions are they spending on designing a car when they could just spend the billions on acquiring a promising EV company, like Fisker.

PTON have been run poorly in the last couple years too, saying they're well in position to continue momentum after lockdowns.

I agree it's a good fit, but Apple haven't really bought anyone in a long time now, Beats in 2014 probably the last big one. Best thing Peloton could do tho is to string them along to get a bit of a bidding war going between Apple and Amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 20,051 ✭✭✭✭neris

Theyd have immediate access to the equipment and the design plans for the machinery which is probably the biggest and financially most challenging part for Peleton especially when it comes to sales. The workouts, classes etc are the cheap to produce parts but like razor blades are where the income comes from.

That a bit of a stretch to say they have been poorly run. They've had setbacks and could have done things better but as a company they've milked the market as best they could to grow the company

• Registered Users Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭Treppen

Apple spent a bucket of money on Beats , people say it was to streamline it, but I think it was to kill off the Cache which Beats would be stealing from their upcoming airpods.

I'd say Amazon would like to buy it just so Apple don't get a look in.

A smart watch can get onto your health records to some extent, but a whole exercise program and biometrics gets you a bit more into the 'tailored medicine' bracket.

• Advertisement

They already do, launched the "$500 Peloton" last year.

The value of Peloton is the branding, it's very slick upmarket product. It's the iPhone to Androids. And the people that own them are the more well off. Getting 30mns uninterrupted screentime in front of those people is very valuable. Prime advertising space.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Layne

So Twitter misses earnings expectations across the board yet are up 5% in premarket.

Can somebody explain this to me please??!!

Buybacks the main reason, but yeah, more normal 2% rise now.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dingaan

Echelon fitness isn't owned by Amazon. It's just sold on Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Very tempted to take a punt on PayPal at their current price. Anyone have thoughts on the outlook for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

I am no expert, but first and foremost I've never been mad on their tech, it always throws some curve ball whenever I'm forced to use it..

Their USP was the layer of abstraction they offered, between your credit card and the merchant. That USP is largely gone now as SCA is rolled out, and other secure alternative payment methods surface.

They do have a huge network of integrated merchants though, which will keep them going, but is it enough to keep Apple, Google, Stripe, Square, Adyen and hundreds of credible competitors at bay. The space is very crowded

Could say the same about Mastercard and Visa.

OayPal is big because of its widespread adoption really

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭md23040

I can not for the world remember where you get the pre-market data - is it IG index. Can someone advise please? Also I am gutting my portfolio by about €30k.

On a side note whats peoples view on Meta Platform now at 16x PE and has more profitablity than Amazon (+$6bn), higher margins yet AMZN cap at €1.62T and Meta $0.597T. Its Capital equally of value compared to Apple, Alphabet charts etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Fruks

The Yahoo Finance and CNBC apps and websites both do full pre-market and after hours data.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

I bought 50 shares on Friday but may double that if the sp tanks any further.

Nasty day ahead?

Euro50 down over 3%

Russia/Ukraine stuff is going to make the markets very hairy for the next while...

Just bought 65 shares in Meta Platforms on the Dax as trading at 15.8x. If the shares fallback will purchase same again.

Am profiting taking for some of the winners of the last 2 years

$5000 sell Bank of America

€12,000Shell

€4000 Total SE

£24,000BP.

H12022 IMO going to be choppy, if shares go up still have skin in the game and the other way will buy in again. Buying shares dead easy the really difficult part is selling.

What are your plans for the money you have now?

Going to wait and see what way the market moves during H1. Short term do not see a lot of upside without a lot of risk especially as likely 5+ rate moves planned by FED, US consumer sentiment nose diving, future earning growth compressed by inflation, S&P overcooked by 30% from bull trend due to TINA (there’s no alternative), US Property Shiller at all time high and rate hikes will effect the property sentiment and feel good factor.Therefore crystallising some of the gains as these only realised when cashed in.

I still have battered stocks like IAG and Ryanair that hopefully despite the wider market should do well as travel opens up from now on. And only have sold a portion of the energy stocks (30%)

Am very interested in Meta and going to buy into a big enough position and also more likely bulk up in Apple. Smartphones will be a thing of the past in 3 years and IMO Augmented reality and the Metaverse going to revolutionise the whole internet interface and experience.

But intend sitting in the long grass in cash for mostly H1.

FSLY financials saw increase in revenue and a bigger increase in net loss, shares down 20+% AH.

We have a new leader on top of my big red pile!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,753 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Anyone hold or have view on Twilio. Analysts seem bullish on it but stock has been nose diving. Was thinking opening a very small position in it

Advertisement