Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Six Nations 2022 - France v Ireland, 12/02/22, KO 4.45pm - Virgin Media 1, ITV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Excellent game. And huge credit to Ireland for that second half performance as we were blown away in the first 40.

Porter struggled in the scrum in the first half and was very solid second. Ryan was immense. We got unlucky with injuries as POM lasted 10 mins and Kelleher 25 mins. Sheehan came of age out there.

Our lack of protection at the ruck lost that for us. JGP and Murray struggled. I though Carbery was very good. Don’t think Sexton would have made too much difference which is all we could have asked for beforehand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭Cork29

ireland such a soft team, learning from today is we will get mullered in a quather final

I think the Americans call that the Monday morning quarter back. The call was the right one even if in hindsight you can argue differently. Look what happened with the line-out after beirnes kick to corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

outstanding is a bit much. he was very good. he's a very very good rugby player, like alot of the lads. theres a few guys out there who need to be challanged more however. Conan was shocking today. nothing is written in stone here. we're not good enough to be doing that.

We've lost three in a row to France. when do we start looking at realities here.

we have absolutely no hope of winning a World Cup cause we're seeing all the same failings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Ireland had plenty of answers. We managed to drag ourselves back into that game. Stupid penalties in the first half let them get a stretch ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Oh dear jaysus. We scuttered our only chance with keeping the ball in hand with just kicking it away within the last minute by handing the match & the GS over to the French. It feels very humiliating to lose out like that when Ireland were within one try & conversion to close out the overall result.

It wasn't our game to take hold of when France scored the 1st try. At that point on; Ireland felt like that it was a game to be tested when the pressure was heaped on when a lot of that intensity that was brewing from the very start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

But it the penalty goal ensured Ireland a bonus point, and it left us a goal away from a draw. Kicking to the corner late on a night when France were claiming ball from our line outs and with three more games to go in the season.

It's not always about chasing the dragon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,392 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

We lost our last throw 5 metres out from the French line. It was the percentage call. In hindsight we should have made the line kick, but the last 15 of the game showed that we were getting the upper hand on France. We probably anticipated that we'd have one more chance to attack.

That 2 minutes span of aimless kicking right after the penalty score killed our momentum. Murray should have been roared at to play the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I dont think anyone is going to catch them, That french team felt it could go the distance this year. England is going to face stad de france just like we did and if murryfield was any indication they also lack the judgement to make the right calls at crucial moments so not going to hold my breath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

So should Carbery start next game even if Sexton is fit? Good performance, France are beatable, can someone else do us a favour?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

There are some very strange doomsday comments on here. Were people actually expecting us to go out there and hammer France? They’re an excellent team. No shame in losing that. Quite the opposite, a lot of credit for that second half performance. The first half was the disappointment for me but France were excellent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,620 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

**** on a player who's thrown in with 90 secs left in the match. Stupid comment. He should've been on much earlier. Murray on the bench is mistake. We need a spark to up the tempo, and he definitely isn't it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Kick to corner was the only sensible option. We were 6 behind. We needed a try (for the win) whatever way you looked at it.

Unless they were happy with the draw. Which is a possibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

It was braindead full stop. I was screaming at the TV when they started to look like they thought there was a decision to be made.

no people were hoping we wouldn't make sloppy errors, let them into the game early on. Make stupid decsisions in the last ten minutes. We're 0 from 3 against France now.

Who's talking about shame. its a blown opportunity. i think its just about us accepting we're not good enough and we haven't actually evolved our game that much.

as somebody said early on that first half was an Irish WC performance.

Anyway the game was lost when Sexton got injured so none of it really matters.

it was a fantastic second half. and we could still win the championship. i think a loss to England away as well, should be looked at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Grand slam for France. Nobody’s gonna stop them this year

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭mr. pleasant

• Registered Users Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

8 mins to go after kick very difficult to get a better try scoring opportunity than a ten metre line out or whatever. Very difficult to win two kickable penalties in that timespan.

If you’re happy with draw take points. If you’re going to win down the line all day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Strand1970

Carty was on the pitch for 90 seconds and you judging him on the one touch he had. That's insane and what was the point of bringing him on on the 78 minute. What did they expect him to do?

How about giving some credit to the French who were hugely physical? Or are you too blinkered to realise that they put us under huge pressure which contributed to us making those mistakes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

No, not at the Sextons level, unfortunately. We really need to sort his replacement out, Carthy needs a shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭OldRio

How do I block this w******

Hes blocked access to his profile but there must be another way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭McFly85

We put ourselves in a position to win it and didn’t take it, nobody said anything about hammering France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I think you need to look at your own reality. Who said that they expect Ireland to win a world cup. France in paris are favourites to beat any team in the world.

• Advertisement

They were very good in defense, but were massively helped by what Gardner was letting them away with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Shehal

Funny how you werent saying any of this crap before kick off...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

He was good under the high ball but he wasn’t close to outstanding for me. Off the top of my head: He missed a tackle badly for the second try, kicked a ball dead from our half under no pressure, lost the ball taking it into contact and the kick up in the air with 30 seconds left.

We redeemed ourselves in the second half mostly. Upped our physicality and kept possession better.

The first half was a killer though. Blown away by the French physicality and gave ourselves too big a lead to chase down. France very clearly targeted our ruck and slowed our ball down a lot.

Won't be too down on this overall as we made a comeback when we could have been hammered after that first half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭leakyboots

A stinker, a couple of nice moments but a hell of a lot wrong. He did tackle his heart out but it was a very poor performance overall.

Him Conan and JGP had poor games.

A lot of errors all over the field.

Furlong, Beirne, VdF went well. Was reasonably happy with Joey to be honest, did well behind a beaten team.

• Advertisement

nice personal abuse there.

Keenan had a very good game. i wasn't blaming him. he's not infallible though thats the point. like alot of the lads theres alot of "learnings". we need to dampen down alot of the hype over all of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

So many idiots on Twitter and one or two here blaming Carty who played two minutes. Maybe consider the full 80 minutes.

Credit to Ireland for managing somehow to stay in it when it looked like a hammering could have been on the cards but also so disappointing considering the high amount of handling errors, lack of composure and poor turnovers.

On a positive note, Carbery didn't have a mare, even if he seemed at times not sure of what to do with the ball when passing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭almostover

If Sexton or POM were on the field that penalty would have been punted to the corner. Need to fine some new leadership before the next WC. Ryan had a good game but not sure about him as captain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Surprised that Gardner's tackle on POM, for the French try, didn't get any mention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Box kicking is an integral core set piece of the modern game; not a hope of it being stopped.

As regards Gibson Park not being up to the level, a cursory 3 second look at the scrum half pool in Ireland that can't get near the squad these days shows how poorly considered this viewpoint is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Beirne should be in with a shout for World Player of the Year. He's an incredible player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭almostover

I'd like to see us use Coombes v Italy also. Even if Conan and Doris stay ahead of him in the pecking order we need to have that option of having a heavy carrying no.8 alà Stander for days like today.

As Brendan Behan once said, critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Shehal

France had more composure than us at key moments, that ultimately was the difference. Maybe with an eye to the RWC this isnt a bad thing, atleast we cant be accused of peaking 18 months out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Made a game of it... Plenty to learn from.

Can't get over the amount of turnovers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭mun1

The french front row sure enjoyed their Irish carvery.

french were a different class , same old failings from us, bottled it at the start of game and took too much time to reel them in.

penalty with 7 to go was right call as ref was starting to ping the french for slowing down ruck ball (didn’t bother pinging them for 65 mins) Thought we would get back up the field after that and apply more pressure.

sobering thing was french were nothing special and made a lot of errors in 3rd quarter.

carberry went well , nothing spectacular but at the centre of everything positive, Sheehan was very impressive. Too many others failed to live up-to the media hype.

eh yeah...just a few players.

Farrell has already referenced it. Others too.

yeah of course they were favourties. but we're now 0 from 3.

We're not as good as we think we are. the media has hyped us to ****. if we want to see evidence of this we just need to look at Wales match. look at their injury profile.

France are also being overhyped. They too beat a very tired and underwhelming NZ. they are a class side building nicely. but lets see them win a championship first before we annoint them.

Anyway i'll hold fire till the England game. if we finish third for a 3rd year in a row, i'll be worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

The problem was Carty went for the miracle play.

Yes the full 80 matters, that includes throwing a hail Mary pass

Porter has to sort out his scrummaging. He has terrible body positioning, shoulder at all angles before the shove even comes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭OldRio

Personal abuse? I called you a wonder. Hardly personal abuse.

Other than Sheehan, I don't think any of our substitutes made a positive impact. Henderson dropped a pass from a counterattack after we turned France over. Murray slowed things down and passed to nobody. Henshaw barely got a touch of the ball. Carty passed the ball a mile forward on our final attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Sexton can't catch other guys fumbles. Errors cost us today not the lack of Sexo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Henshaw did well I'd say. He cleaned up a few potential disasters, he didn't get any ball in space to attack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

No Wojtek the bear it's not. Was calling it at the time as being an utterly daft decision and it was the wrong call all day.....your point about the previous line out is irrelevant....

If you think it was the right call fine but I can't understand your point of view or why the decision was made.

France were visibly tiring at that stage and we simply needed to win one line out and we had every chance of 7 pts. Instead we kick three still need a try to win and allow France to kick deep into our half.

Wrong call end of story as I see it.

Advertisement