Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kurt Zouma thinks it's funny to use a cat as a football

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

For a Vegan WOKE type like yourself I'm sure it's hard to imagine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

That not what you said at all. You said.

@Thelonious Monk "Good article on the hypocrisy of so called animal lovers here"

You don't have to be "animal lover" to disagree with someone kicking an animal whether that's a cat, a cow, or a camel. It's also something which is against the law, again whether its a cat, a cow or camel.

This idea anyone who does so, but isn't a fully signed up plant muncher, is a hypocrite, is total bs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

Well I'm not a vegan but I do think he makes some good points & I don't you've made any, you just called someone "woke" & think that's an argument. Too bad they don't have debating clubs in school anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭AyeGer

So unable to tell me what you meant. Looks like you don’t understand the word.

And what would you possibly know about my eating habits?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,841 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Your response to the author above is that he missed the philosophy class "where humans are recognised for exhibiting a whole range of often contradictory behaviour and ideas", which seems to be you agreeing with the sentiment of the article about the hypocrisy as if the author is just pointing out the obvious.

Your next post is then saying it's total BS that anyone who protests the exploitation of one animal, while paying for other animals to be exploited, is a hypocrite. So ironically, your posts are contradicting each other.

Rather than just throwing around buzz words and making them sound like an argument, can you give a rational and logical rebuttal to the actual points being made?

Also, you don't need to be an animal lover, human lover or any other lover to recognise that it's wrong to cause harm to someone when harm isn't necessary. I think all but a few renegades are in agreement that what he did to the cat was wrong. I haven't seen anyone say that people shouldn't be upset with the footballer, if they pay for exploiting animals in other ways. I think all upset towards the footballer is warranted whether people who are upset also contribute to other forms of animal exploitation. The points being made are, that for those who are upset (most people), they should also question their principles when it comes to the exploitation of other animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Look out the window, it's **** everywhere and the internet is the sewer of civilization.

🙈🙉🙊

Not everywhere.

You should go visit the ruins of the Roman forum, amazing ruins of a great ancient civilization, House of the Vestal Virgins, Temple of Vesta, Temple of Saturn, Temple of Vespasian & Titus and lots of other temples, we need more than just Temple Bar here.

Machu Picchu - The lost city of the Incas, a city floating in the clouds.

Easter Island - Big Stone Heads - great stuff.

Pyramids of Giza - Amazing

Atlantis - A city under the Atlantic ocean

Hanging Gardens of Babylon - Amazing green lush gardens in the middle of the desert, best hash in the world grown there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

It's a ridiculous article that is completely missing the point.

HE KICKED AN ANIMAL AROUND THE PLACE TO AMUSE HIMSELF.

I love meat, I know where it comes from. But I'm not a sick fcuk that hammers a defensive animal around the place for a laugh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭SamStonesArm

I love some animals as pets and some other animals as dinner. It's simple. I know where my food comes from and I don't give a fook.

I think you're missing the point of the article. By consuming animal products, you're paying for similar and worse to happen to other animals when it's unnecessary. Pleasure is the driving force behind each. His reason being some kind of sadistic and less common form of pleasure, than your and many other's sensory pleasure reason. To the victims, the level of harm is the same no matter what the reason is.

Thanks for the very long essay but Jfc, you clearly didn't either read what was written in those two comments or chose to deliberately misconstrue it. But still at it. Good lad.

Frankly I've no interest in engaging in that type of dishonest discussion.

One eats to survive. I wish to eat meat.

You may argue it's unnecessary. But the simple difference is how he treated that animal is absolutely of no comparison to how the vast majority of farmed animals are treated.

Kicking an animal because you get off on it, and eating a burger are not comparable and it's no more than clutching at straws for that journalist to do so

To say that the end result is the same is also being disingenuous. Animal cruelty is wrong, I don't agree with that, but eating meat that is sourced from animals that are not mistreated is not the same thing what so ever.

I have but I've also seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like… tears in rain.

Again you're just completely ignoring all points being made, questions being asked and failing to offer any rebuttal to them and feigning a "dishonest discussion" as reason not to engage in an actual discussion.

I don't have to argue it's unnecessary. It is unnecessary. Do you not think the very essence of ending a life of somebody that doesn't want to die, long before they would die naturally of old age is mistreatment? What do you define as mistreatment? What about standard practices and living conditions on UK farms, sold under labels of red tractor approved, high welfare, RSPCA approved, free-range and organic?

https://www.landofhopeandglory.org/

What about standard practices in Australia? Can you honestly look at this and say the animals aren't mistreated?

And if you're about to say that doesn't happen on Irish farms, here's footage taken in Ireland:

• Advertisement

HaHaha took longer than normal for some hippy to post Dominion lol.

You argue it all you wish, but you're predictably meshing an ethical debate of eating meat and being cruel and sadistic towards an animal. The ethics of eating meat is one I've no interest engaging in or wasting my time with.

Post all the YouTube videos you can feast on, it's not a reflection of Irish farming.

I'm more than happy to invite you down to our farm. You can even bring your camera with you. But Irish farmers are already (amd quite rightlt) up to their tonsils with regular inspections from various departments.

You don't believe people should eat meat. Good for you. I do. I like meat. I also like animals.

Don't blend animal cruelty and sadistic abuse with agriculture to try further your agenda.

@cormie

Whoosh and even more preaching!

No I don't like your style of posting.

Post edited by Mecanudo on

The treatment of animals for food production certainly is grim in a lot of cases. I try and buy free range and organic as much as possible. I believe it can be done much better. I don’t have an issue with an animal being killed for food but I hate cruelty to animals. As someone said earlier in the thread for some of these animals their entire existence is basically cruel.

Im not going to deny there are some great points being made on that matter here. For many of us it’s out of sight out of mind and it shouldn’t be.

Im eating much less meat now than I ever was and eating more and more veg, nuts, seeds, fruit and legumes.

What's the difference between sadistically abusing one animal, and inflicting death upon another (after they've been exploited for whatever they can yield profit from before death) just for the sensory pleasure of a 5 minute meal? The victim doesn't want to be harmed in either case. Neither reason is one of necessity.

I've literally posted footage taken on an Irish farm. Would you be happy to let a crew film on your farm consistently for prolonged periods and would it be possible to film the slaughter process too? If so, please PM me details and we can arrange it.

You also never answered, do you not think taking the life of somebody who doesn't want to die, years before they would die naturally, is mistreatment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I totally 100% agree with this.

Like you, I went free range, farm gate and organic first, but it still did not sit right with me.

I had a problem with food chain - how can a chicken be sold for 2.99 without cutting corners in welfare. The problem is people want the standards but dont want to pay.

This is the reason I stopped eating meat. If I felt there were higher welfare standards that I could be totally confident in, ie, farm gate, I would not have stopped eating meat.

I eat eggs, but only from someone I know that has their own (rescue) hens.

Having said that, I never push my opinion on others. I find the other side more aggressive - a shop advertises a vegetarian/vegan option on social media, and you have all the aggressive get yourself a burger whiners. I find people are more aggressive towards people who do not choose to eat meat, than the opposite.

Ireland has a very poor record on animal welfare. Puppy farm capital of Europe (even a State Solicitors mother ran an unlicenced puppy farm), the urban horse abuse, and a case where a Department of Agriculture official was convicted of cruelty to cattle. There are numerous cases.

I feel all awareness to animal welfare is good thing and believe its unfair to criticise someone who does not agree with the cruelty to the cats, but still eats meat. It is a slow and evolving journey.

I used to think the religions who sent out the faithful to preach at you in the hope of converting people was all a bit ott. But fook me all is forgiven, I'll take them any day over that shite.

Ah jaysus these lads are a lot worse. Wonder does their high horse mind them being on its back haha. Horse lives matter lol

As I said. I'm not wasting my time on an ethical debate with you.

Laughable that you think it's common to slaughter animals on any farm in Ireland.

Christ you are engaging in a debate about something you know absolutely nothing about. Bit of an eye opener for me frankly

Are you going to disregard my whole post because I didn't specify a film crew following the animals you've reared to whichever slaughterhouse you use to end their life prematurely and you assumed because of this lack of specification, that I thought you slaughtered the animals on your own property, thus rendering me knowing nothing about the topic?

So are you going back on your offer to allow a film crew take footage of the entire process from birth (and what their mothers go through to become pregnant) to slaughter?

Anyone got an update on the Zouma story?

Guess we will know the score by Tuesday eitherway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭AllForIt

The reason this story has 'captured the imagination' of the media and the public alike, is because it involves a 'premiership' football player, anti-racism SJW's, plant based ethical eaters, and cat people, all in one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Yep, dont fck with Cats.

Can we not just punch the odd one to keep ourselves happy? I'll put on boxing gloves and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Visit Atlantis? That Babylonian hash must be good stuff!

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement

Blade Runner does not count.

Go see the Teotihuacan, Aztec, Mayan & other Mesoamerican pyramids in Central America some of which are 2,300 years old.

Or the Olmec Heads some of which are 3,000 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Lads, he kicked a cat. Can we all relax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I'm not a vegan but if it was illegal to buy & eat animal meat I'd be fine with it, I don't eat much meat as it is.

Dairy products I think should still be allowed.

Obviously you'll need some deep-sea diving equipment to make it there.

Dairy would be a more cruel industry than meat as the animals are subjected to years of abuse and in the end, they are still killed against their will, long before they would die naturally, after they have been exploited so much that their bodies are no longer profitable producers. Both meat and dairy are unnecessary and if you agree that it's wrong to cause harm where harm isn't necessary, then logic dictates that both should be opposed according to your principles :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

No. It's a small defenceless animal. I'd suggest putting him in a cage with a Tiger and letting him try boot that about.

Your post says a lot about you btw.

Post edited by AyeGer on

• Advertisement

Still spoofing I see. You are waffling on there like I've never seen. You're knowledge of agriculture is pathetic. You may as well argue about nuclear fusion because you likely know as much about that as you do this. It'd not possible to have an objective opinion when your knowledge is below baseline basic

A zealot doesn't need facts and information of course. Just a determination to waffle on and push their views

Educate yourself a little before you waffle on the Internet talking absolute piss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Fcuking pr1ck Zouma

What about my post that you quoted is spoofing? You've consistently failed to give any actual rebuttals to anything I've posted, failed to provide any evidence that what I'm saying doesn't occur in standard farming practices of which most animal products are a result of, or answered any of my questions, and like others, are just responding in a way that attempts to discredit me while throwing in a few buzz words.

Everything you post is spoof. You've made absolutely bizarre claims of abuse and cruelty without any basis of fact.

Simple fact. Distressed animals don't produce milk. Distressed beef animals don't thrive and gain weight. It's not in the farmers interest to have distressed animals.

Something is not cruel because you think it is. It's not based on any science or facts, rather emotions that are misinformed

I don't need to discredit you. You're doing that all by yourself

I would'nt bother replying, you're simply wasting your time. It's the same extremist shrilling on Facebook, twitter practically word for word.

Bizarrely according to the same spiel, the long term aim is to end the practice of keeping all domestic animals including pets. Strange then that the discussion being pushed here is just about farming but feck what been called the 'evils' of keeping pets simply because its much easier just to throw **** at farming.

Like the claim that cows normally live to 25 years. I looked that up. Your average wild herbivore is lucky if they make it to 4 years of age before they're eaten alive or die a very nasty death from drought or disease. With cows on farms are kept for at least 8 years and are looked after, fed, protected from predators and get vetinary care. Ireland and the UK has good animal welfare laws so that if cruelty does happen people are prosecuted and rightly so.

There's no point arguing with this crap. It's just an excuse for preaching, and if you reply, it's even more crap with a bunch of extremist videos thrown in for extra effect. And still not one word about the cat or even football.

• Advertisement

Can you pinpoint exactly what I said that is spoof or a bizarre claim? We can determine what may be cruel/abuse by putting ourselves in the victims shoes and asking ourselves, would we like that done to us.

Let's select a few practices employed in the majority of dairy production. I'm also going to list some very simple rights violations which are the case with any animal being bred into existence for the sole purpose of being exploited, and again, all I'm asking you to do is put yourself in the position of the victim and ask yourself if you had a choice, would you choose to live with complete bodily autonomy, free of exploitation, of being a commodity or would you choose:

• To be seen as property, and a commodity in the eye of your "owner" and most of your owners fellow species
    • To have your daily routines completely dictated by this "owner" for your entire life
    • When you're born, to be separated from your mother.
    • To be most likely sent to slaughter when still a baby if you're male (which can often involve being sent long distances on crowded vehicles in horrible and stressful conditions)
    • Being interfered with by your "owner" to undergo a procedure against your will to prevent natural body parts from growing.
    • To have another species make you produce semen by non consensual masturbation (what word would be used to describe this if it was a human doing this to another human?)
    • If you're female, to meet the same fate as the mother you were taken away from, which will involve:
    • Being interfered with and having pregnancy forced upon you, non consensually, against your will (again, what word would be used to describe this if it was a human doing it to another human?)
    • When you finally give birth, having your baby taken away from you so the milk you naturally produced for your baby can be stolen by another species
    • Having to be routinely interfered with while lactating so another species can take your milk that your baby should have been taking from you.
    • Repeating the above for another few years until your body is no longer efficiently able to produce desired volumes of what you've been bred to produce for the profit of the other species.
    • Having your life cut to about 20% of your natural lifespan when you are sent to a slaughter house against your will, and have your life taken from you when you don't want to die.

The fact an animal can still produce milk, or can still gain weight, does not mean they have not had their rights violated.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Mod note - if you can't post in a civil manner then don't post at all

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Mod note - if you can't post in a civil manner then don't post at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Do you actually believe farmed pigs are treated well in Ireland and live good lives? Do you not think it's cruel that hundreds of thousands of male calves are taken from dairy farms very young and shipped abroad to places with terrible animal welfare standards like Libya?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭Xander10

Kurt injured in warm up and misses today's game. Catma Karma

• Advertisement
Advertisement