Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭KildareP

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

That topic has been done to death on this thread at this stage - multiple times - and unless anyone has anything genuinely new to add to that conversation we might not keep bringing it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Ballycommon Mast

Remember back in 2006 when TV3 went to court to stop Clare Byrne presenting on Newstalk Radio?. In recent years we have seen Tv3/virgin share many hosts with Newstalk/Today FM as liner media went on to cooperate in this changed media landscape. I guess the next logical step is full on cooperation with RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I've just read a very surprising proposal via Digital Spy this morning from Chris Choi who is the Consumer Editor of ITV News in the UK.

Apparently when Chris Choi was in an interview with Talksport recently; he said there is a proposal for the ITV National Evening News with Mary Nightingale to be turned into an hour long bulletin which will start at 6:30pm every weeknight with it ending at 7:30pm. The idea of it is to make the last half hour of this bulletin a magazine/discussion style news format which makes it compete with The One Show slot on BBC One in the UK.

The ITV regional news in the UK including UTV Live from Belfast will still go out at 6pm.

Emmerdale could actually be shown at 7:30 on ITV. Coronation Street could be shown as an hour long episode on Monday, Wednesday & Friday nights.

5 News on Channel 5 in the UK have already made their weekday news bulletin an hour long bulletin very recently. They have two female presenters as the main host of the bulletin. The format of it is very similar to ITV's new proposal for the Evening News.

I don't know how this would implicate broadcasts of Emmerdale & Coronation Street on VMTV's channels here. I would suspect that this type of development could have very big implications for VM subscribers here if they cannot have the option to watch these soaps at their original timeslot especially when trying to reschedule these programmes on their 3 main channels.

How could VM do that so easily when they show VM News at 8 on VM One. You need to have good back-up plans in place to mitigate these issues when VM has the official non exclusive broadcast rights to a lot of the UEFA matches here as well.

This move by ITV News could place an indirect hit to the schedule for EastEnders which is shown on RTÉ One here & BBC One in the UK. It could be placed on an earlier time slot if the proposed move from ITV News goes ahead as planned.

If this proposal from ITV News was true. Could you consider it to be a very easy or hard move think about for VM in Ireland?

EDIT: Sorry for providing the awful sound on that link in my post. I found it on Digital Spy this morning. I couldn't find a better quality audio link available.

It wouldn’t be a big obstacle - they can and have moved the news for the soaps before.

Also, with ITV not on any EPG of any Irish provider, simulcasting isn’t as important as it was in the old days when ITV was maybe a couple of button presses up.

Edit: those changes to the ITV Network schedule were confirrmed this morning, ITV Evening News replaced by an hour long news programme (not yet titled) at 6:30pm, Emmerdale moved to 7:30pm, Coronation St permanently becomes an hour long programme airing Monday, Wednesday, Friday at 8pm.

Post edited by icdg on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭AJB39

I wonder what Virgin Media will do? Will they ignore ITV’s changes and stick to their own schedule? Or will they move the News at 8 to 7 perhaps? Alternatively would they scrap the News at 8 entirely or move it to Virgin Media 2 as they have done occasionally in the past?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

They could Move the new to 7:30 as it is on at that time on Fridays. I still don't know why RTE show Eastenders at 8pm on Fridays when VM are showing Coronation Street.

The hour long Coronation Street is the difficulty with sticking with the schedule as it stands. It only allows them to run a half hour programme in the current 9pm slot, which is not the length of programmes that they are filling the slot with now.

Possible alternative solution is to move the Tonight Show to 10:30pm, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Confirmation of ITV news being extended by an hour from March 2022.

What could VMTV do now? Maybe an extended hourlong 5.30 news, and then another name change for The Six O'Clock Show to "6:30"? News At 8 does get good ratings for them, but I can't see it surviving now. Would they dare go to showing it at 9 up against RTE? They do have a good lead in now from Corrie 3 nights a week.

Which VM channel is showing this year's Brit Awards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,589 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭RoTelly

It really depends on if the 5:30 news and the six o'clock show can retain an audience to 7pm for the news.

RTÉ's nationwide programme could do well with this move, though virgin media might look at when TSOCS starts at 18:30 it always gets a higher audience (though in the past this has been only a 30min show rather than the full hour).

UTV Ireland never really secured an audience before Emmerdale for its 6:30 news so I can't see audiences tuning to Virgin Media in high numbers for either the return of the 7 O'Clock News or a later TSOCS.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Maz2016

Knowing virgin media it will be something like:

5:30 news

6:00 TSOCS

7:00 news

7:30 emmerdale

8:00 Corrie Mon,wed,Fri and on Tuesday/thurs it will be Paul O Grady/Martin Lewis/Rare Breed etc.

they love their lazy scheduling - this is the easiest change for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Anyone watching the darts on vm3 on saorview? It's awful with the scoreboard pixilated and picture quality like a webstream

• Registered Users Posts: 82,589 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Awful really and the final will be good with Wolfie in it...stuck as I don't have enough BT

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Ballycommon Mast

Did it effect 3E/VM2s ratings when they stopped focusing on the 15/35 market and dropped family guy etc etc ?

What you mean C6/3E/VM2 have stopped focusing on the core 15 to 35 (shhhh their PR people will be after you :) )

No is the simple answer but both VM2 and VM3 are anomalies, VM2 gets an audience share of 3.5%, while VM3 gets 2.5%, they are the most watch extra channels on TV, not even in the UK does ITV3 command that size of audience in the UK 1.85% in the last 4 weeks. VM2 and 3 are essentially getting 5 to 6% share of the audience while re-broadcasting programming on ITV3! I don't think very many UK "digital" channels get to even 2%.

______

Yesterday

I’ve split all the Neighbours discussion into a separate thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Maz2016

Ant & Decs limitless win is on RTÉ tonight. Thought virgin media would have had the rights to that if they wanted it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Had to turn in my iptv provider and watch the Ireland match because the sd quality is unwatchable on sky.

It's great that all these broadband companies are getting out of the sports broadcasting rights. Eir, virgin and bt getting out of the business. Great to see.

This is not an ITV Studios production. It is made by independent production companies for ITV which is the main reason why it's on RTÉ One.

I'd love to know who the distributor is, BBC Studios? Should be left to VMTV to pick up, no reason for RTÉ to have this show, it will be pitted against Saturday Night Takeaway next week!

______

Yesterday

Banjay Distribution seems like RTÉ have a few programmes from them.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Saturday Night Takeaway airs from 7-8.30, so there may be a few minutes where they may clash - depending on the length of the Saturday film on RTE1.

Did realize Liveline raised this on Friday's show.

______

Yesterday

EastEnders moving to 7:30 Monday - Thursday, against Emmerdale. Not great for RTÉ as Emmerdale often outperforms EastEnders, and has pretty much seen the same kind of audience for TV3/VMTV one for the past 20 years.

Where does that leave Fair City? 8pm Tuesday - Thursday and Sunday (8:30 on Sunday during DWTS season). Clashing with Coro Street on Wednesday.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement

I assume both RTÉ and VMTV will follow the new schedules from BBC and ITV.

BBC have announced that from 7th March EastEnders will air Monday to Thursday at 7:30, nothing stopping RTÉ keeping the currently schedule. But Monday and Friday will clash with Coro St and they'd be an ep behind on Thursday and Friday nights.

______

Yesterday

Advertisement