Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

Late to the party here but I'm enjoying Halo Infinite. Its just good fun, nothing more to say than that.

I heard there is a lull in the game, I think I'm there where its forcing me to traverse across the map. Nothing I can't get through, bit slightly annoying trying to find.a vehicle (that I haven't already destroyed!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

You stopped right as it got good. They should have cut all the Ellie and Joel stuff and just went with the far better character of Abby. Would have been a way better game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The Abby section was better but better but still wasnt great. It's another game I wished I'd given up on as it wasn't great. I actually enjoyed the combat a bit but the writing was some pretty amateur melodrama.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭recyclops

If it was multi platform it would have been long forgotten

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The Last of Us 2. Hoo-boy. For one hot second that was the biggest, worst, most toxic/heated/animated/etc. debate going round. Now it's arguably a relic & utterly forgotten. Funny how quickly the wheel turns now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I still have TLOU2 installed, will give it another play through at 60fps at some stage, I really enjoyed it bit the gameplay and the story, couldn't give a fork about the debate on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭McFly85

That was the only game in recent memory that I saw through to the end while getting pretty much zero enjoyment out of it. I had played the remastered first game in preparation and I don’t recall it really adding anything gameplay wise.

It weirdly hinted at the start that you’d have more freedom before snapping you back into increasingly contrived walk from a to b quests. I only finished it because I kept thinking I was near the end on multiple occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I think it’s cause I played pretty much back to back in 2020, but so much of the TLOU2 feel like it’s desperately trying to ape the highs of the first one and doesn’t know how to get there beyond just inflating the scale without really knowing why and remixing set pieces from the first, such as the sniper sequence or the stalker sequence. They’re not new, they’re not any more nail-biting, they’re just a lot longer and I found myself just tired by the end of it.

The Rat King fight was an absolute banger, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

The Rat King boss fight had a real bang of Resident Evil off it. Really enjoyed that.

Also, the part in the subway where I threw a brick and that was enough to set the clickers on the gang coming after me was great.

The game is too long though. I might play it again on the PS5 for the 60fps gameplay but it would very much be an hour here or there like I'm doing with the Uncharted 4 remaster rather than ploughing through it again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I actually thought the gameplay was a step up in TLOU 2. The remote mines that Ellie had were hilariously brutal.

It's the narrative and pacing I had issues with. It said so little by saying so much. It retcons the first game to shoehorn in a sequel. Ellie's arc is by far the worst. It's like Joel's camp produced a squad of batmen that are zipping around Abby's camp taking out an army of people. It's flat out ridiculous. And Ellie is like the worst horror film heroine. You're screaming at her to just walk away and she just keeps making bad decisions so much so that she becomes a cartoon caricature dumb dumb.

At least with Abby's story she has actual agency even if all the characters are unlikeable and annoying. And that's not to say it ever even verges into good as her entire plot is a 'save the dog' trope told for way too long.

The pacing of the story was all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

It really is a game crying out for a really disciplined editor. So much of TLOU2 feels like it’s there because someone said ‘**** it, throw it in, can’t hurt.’ You could hack, at least, a third off the game and have it be a superior experience.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There was a brief sweet spot in the late 00s / early 10s where AAA games were just the right length to tell their story properly without getting really bogged down. Uncharted 2 is a perfect example: no fuss, just a good old rollicking adventure story that doesn't overstay its welcome. Maybe there was an unnecessary multiplayer mode tagged on here and there, but it was mostly ignorable.

Alas, games have become so bloated almost as a rule now. Uncharted 4 and TLOU2 are perfect examples: their sheer length undermines the good stuff they do (although they were flawed in many other ways too, especially TLOU2). At least The Lost Legacy was a proper throwback to Uncharted 2 - tight, focused and fun. Most crucially, it was over before you could start zoning out.

I know it's never going to happen, but Left Behind and Lost Legacy to me show Naughty Dog would almost be better focusing on smaller, lower-budget games released more regularly rather than the big numbered sequels. Alas, it's an impossible dream - especially since Druckmann is Naughty Dog's number one creative now and probably the worst offender for over-extending the stories he's trying to tell.

• Administrators Posts: 53,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I thought the original Last of Us was far too long as well. I enjoyed the story but definitely there were quite a few hours at the end where I wish it would just finish, and I just kept playing cause I thought I must surely be about to complete it. It was sunk-cost at that stage.

The game is all about being slow and methodical, which doesn't help either. It makes a long game feel even longer. The tense nature of it too cause me some issues, constantly feeling on edge, like after playing for a while you'd have to pause it and walk around the house or something to try feel less stressed! Maybe that was just me, but I struggled.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,035 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I still haven't played TLOU2 and probably won't for a while yet.

I did enjoy the first one but the QTE kinda takes me out of the story. They're fine in something like Spiderman but not in a story game like TLOU.

Sony do love putting QTE into their games though.

The complete absence of player agency is laid bare when that fight happens in the middle and many streamers died on purpose.

I don't want to spoil things so I'm being vague.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

I thought TLOU2 was a better game than the first one overall. The gameplay was a lot more fun and I mostly preferred the story to the first game. I dont think there needs to be a third game though and I'd like to see Naughty Dog do something completely new.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

I guess I'm one of the few that enjoyed TLOU2 🙂 Hope there is a sequel or at least another game in the same universe.

But more importantly, I hope they add MP to TLOU2. The MP in the original was superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,809 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I loved TLOU 2 but i was drained after finishing it. Went straight into another playthrough though for the platinum and realised then how much better out would have been if they took out a bunch of the encounters. I got the plat about 70% through the 2nd playthrough and couldn't even finish it, haven't touched it since and I've cleared TLOU1 about 7 times, just didn't have that same replayability for me.

Saying that, i wished they'd announce Factions 2 already, absolutely incredible multiplayer.

• Advertisement

In a better world we would all be getting excited about the Klonoa 1 and 2 remaster that was just announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Dark Souls has great lore/story... sure it does! Shur fans only ever talk about the lore/story! [rolleyes emoji]

Legacy of Kain would be my pick. If you can slightly ignore Blood Omen 2 that is, which isn't bad, but is the worst of them. But (imo) excellently written story of destiny and history, with gothic vampiric stories interwoven, and still the best voice cast and performance of any game ever. But like everything, it's all down to the person. I love fantastical, non-realistic stories (I consume entertainment to get away from the realities of life, not remind me of them, think it's why I'm finding it hard to feel anything for any of the characters in DL2, but the gameplay is fun!). I loved the lore and world of Mass Effect and thought they did an amazing job, old tropes or not (which were still fresh enough at release). I also enjoyed the light, tongue in cheek approach Immortals Fenyx Rising did.

I couldn't bring myself through TLOU again, only played it on launch and not since. I don't think I like those types of games anymore as any interest I had in a sequel waned years ago, and while it looks stunning, the feedback from 2 actively puts me off playing it. I want to go back to the days of games being fun to play, not a slog. To me, it's entertainment, shouldn't be work or remind me of life. It's an escape, and everyone likes to escape to something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I also found the TLOU2 quite draining at times. It did suffer from poor pacing, and I'm not sure there was any discernable beginning, middle, or end.

That said, I did enjoy the Santa Barbara part with Abby near the end - felt bright and fresh and more of an adventure after a fairly dreary slog beforehand.

Was dissapointed both in how Ellie's character evolved into a pretty bitter and twisted individual, and in how Joel died so brutally.

I felt a real attachment for Joel and Ellie following the original game. I enjoyed the natural history museum set piece. 💔

Not sure if there is much value in continuing the story as pretty much have had enough of the remaining characters now.

The game was nonetheless clever insofar as how they played with peoples perception, preconceptions and propensity to judge etc.

Road 96 is coming to PlayStation in April. Anyone play it worst on switch or pc and recommend it? Sounds interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I always felt with TLOU2 if they kept Joel and Ellie out of it and just went with Abby and crew from the start they had a much better opportunity to do something interesting with killing Joel.

If you remember the sniper section where Tommy was taking shots at Abby, it was so frustrating that by the time you got to him you just wanted to kill him.

If they had worked up to a point where the "enemy" was just some unknown that they had built you up to hate. Then there was a boss fight, you kill the boss, feel great for doing it, roll them over, and bam it's Joel.

Then hard cut to the Ellie's revenge part.

At that point you are invested in Abby and there is a conflict.

But it also shows how silly it is to consider Joel and Ellie to be heroes, or anyone in a game that murders hundreds of people without a second thought, to be a hero just because you control them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Hadn't heard of this - Vigor. Looks pretty good, and free to play on console.

It's actually pretty solid, played it ages back when it first released, like a lite survival game but with good graphics and mechanics. I went onto something else fairly quickly but I'd say it would be a laugh with a group on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Wow started Halo Infinite and it's amazing. Glad they held back the release date to have a more polished game. I am just after playing from the first up to Halo 4 and this is a major step up. Only one not fresh in my memory is Halo 5. I played 5 around release but forget it already. I know they introduced the climb up a edge in 5 which still made it into Infinite. The grapple hook is cool. I love grabbing onto someone and flying into them.

I'm enjoying it too. Only thing that bugs me and its the same with all Halo games, there are no NPC's. Everything you come across is an enemy. What's the point in these Halos if nobody lives on them? It gives a very empty feel at times, it needs villages bustling with people going about their business. Random aliens passing by on the road etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

The only thing bugging me is the collectibles. Like an eejit running around trying to find them. I'm not that far into the game but spent ages in the first open world part looking for them. Manged to get the upgrade one which is probably the most important one.

Advertisement