Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Canada Convoy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Being liberal or not has nothing to do with the honking of horns 24/7. People of all political persuasions have the ability to congregate and honk horns. So it’s more of an asshole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

Have the last word Tao, i couldnt give a working mans ****. I am an asshole and so are you we are all assholes in thsi world today. Left right middle all led by bad governments and greedy media. If you think everything is great then you are deluded but a lot of folk are. The world sucks and people just hate each other and there is no way back. The hate in the world is gone past disagreements its toxic. Hating people because they disagree with you is a sad state of affairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Read what people are saying. It’s often not what you think they are saying. I thought I was quite clear but you’ve totally misinterpreted or misunderstood.

The ‘hate’ remark is quite strong and completely used out of place. There is not one person in the world that I hate. Some of us are able to live life without hate. Sorry to burst that bubble for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

You are not bursting any bubble i am glad you have such a world full of love you are blessed I hope you appreciate it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Politics in Canada is as bad as everywhere these days. The Liberals are often in the habit, of indicating to the left but turning to the right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There's a lot of the hardline political doubling down we've seen elsewhere, in Canada. I was surprised to see Morrison in Australia give tacit support to protests there, with his track record, and some politicians even went to speak to them. The fact that he then pointed fingers at states for mandatory vaccines, doesn't the really undermine an effort of engagement sadly missing everywhere else. The NZ approach makes you wonder where the so-called crazy people are, with the Barry Manilow songs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭tinytobe

As much as I disagree with these convois and the usage of the word "freedom", I would say, it's just a way of expression of discontent. This discontent might not at all be directed at one specific thing, such as vaccination. I see this often similar as Brexit in the UK and the Brexiteers, their cause of discontent might not even be found in Bruxelles but more in their own country.

To say that Canada did a good job during the pandemic is not something I would never ever agree with. The snap election by Trudeau was only about his self-centeredness and caused the Canadian tax payer close to 600 Million and produced no results for Trudeau, no significant further seats, etc.... just cost. At the same time there is the underfunded provincial health care, or high child care costs, especially in Ontario.

I also profoundly disagreed with the travel and entry into Canada regulations, mandatory hotel stays at a cost of $2000 for 3 nights to avait test results, regardless of the country you were coming from. I'd say the UK and Germany handled the travel situation way better.

The possibility of mandatory vaccination doesn't bother me at all. Also the vaccine uptake in Canada is higher than in the US, - so that convoy can only be a minority. Also truck driver associations are very distanced from these protests. I also believe that there are many protesters along with this convoy who aren't truck drivers at all.

Also life for truck drivers is not as bad as in other countries in the world, even in Europe. If you're willing to travel for 5 or 7 days a week or be gone from family for a longer time in one trip, you could easily make 100k plus p.a. In most EU countries that's not possible for truck drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I think this whole idea of a convoy is like a microcosm of some of the issues around COVID. There do seem to be some genuine grievances around official decisions in a minority of people. However, the nature of them unquestionably attracts all sorts of extreme individuals using them as a platform for whatever it is they want to foment. It also allows different parts of the government to pit themselves against each other.

Meanwhile, the public mood reassures governments that they are making the right decision. It also tends to promote a sense of righteousness all around and no desire to engage a common ground. That may be stowing the problems into the future by encouraging a level of radicalization in seemingly normal citizens. The fact that we seem to be close to the end of this may allow some to return to normal but it may also build a rump of disgruntled who have less and less confidence in the political system.   

My own view of vaccine mandates is that they really should be a last resort, preferably avoided. They often need to be enforced because a government has failed to sell the purpose effectively. Our government and perhaps we ourselves were persuaded of the value of vaccination for as many as possible. Even in EU countries where they failed to do this, most just accepted this was what people wanted and did not attempt to enforce it.

So the Canadian mandate just seems a little bit absurd with well over 80% fully vaccinated and using a sledgehammer approach that magnifies people's sense of grievance about it. 

Post edited by is_that_so on

Was laughing at Trudeau on the new saying...YOU CAN AND YOU WILL LEAVE THE BRIDGE....he sounds like a right tyrant./kid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

read the article on the ottawa protests on the thejournal.ie this morning...couldn't believe the amount of misinformation in it...

i spent hours and hours yesterday looking at all the youtube livestreams from the protests in ottawa...they were so interesting i couldn't stop watching!

anyhow the journal says there was a tense standoff with protestors yesterday...absolute lies...watching the livestreams of people walking through the crowds, it was just one huge mega party in ottawa yesterday and last night...everyone smiling, having fun...all greeting each other with smiles and hello as they passed each other on the street...even guys collecting rubbish and sweeping the snow and ice away on the streets and around the parks to keep them accessible for people...

and there was a hell of lot more people than 4000...all the streets were jam packed...could easily be 100,000 people there yesterday....and all in minus 20 degree temperatures!! it was so cold last night that all the youtuber phone batteries and battery packs were dying really quickly...

watch for yourselves...this young guy's youtube channel has all the live streams saved there..click through a few of them and make up your own mind...he even hops into a lot of cabs and interviews the truckers one on one...

also this guy is a lawyer i think and he interviews a lot of people...everyone is just so nice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

@bb12 read the article on the ottawa protests on the thejournal.ie this morning...couldn't believe the amount of misinformation in it...

TheJournal.ie are a liberal left-wing publication along with the vast majority of the media here and across Europe. They recently got north of €300K in EU funding - so they are not going to be on the side of these protests which have seen copycat protests across many European Cities.

They are also are members of the so-called "fact-checking organisation" which they purposefully close off comments on any fact-checking articles they publish (most of which are about ridiculous tripe).

In addition, they are a sister site of this one and you might often notice a crossover of posters on Boards and TheJournal commenting. TheJournal often removes comments that present a counter-view to what the article is about. I've noticed that these types of posts get deleted rather quickly.

Whether that's the staff there removing the comments of their own accord or it's a co-ordinated group of left-leaning liberal folks (possibly organising in Twitter groups) working in packs to report comments and have them removed is something I've pondered.

So all-in-all when I see you accusing TheJournal.ie of mis-information, well - colour me shocked! Sorry about the long-winded post! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,160 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Road now cleared of protesters, but would fully expect the far-right and assorted fringes to use tactics like this in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

read the article on the ottawa protests on the thejournal.ie this morning...couldn't believe the amount of misinformation in it...

You do realize most international news and the journal just basically does a copy and paste from some other publication (associated press), they don't actually have reporters there. 🙄

Naw... the results speak for themselves:

Far Left · TheJournal.ie

versus

Far Right · TheJournal.ie

very impartial reporting there, yeah?

Well, it would never be the far-left to use these tactics. Any sign physical labour and they'd run a mile. The heaviest thing they'd lift would be a molotov cocktail. 😜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭Buffman

Ye, I've also been watching a lot of livestreams and the difference between what's actually happening and what most media are reporting is stark.

Another good channel covering Ottawa since before this started is Ottawalks, worth a watch for anyone interested in truth.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭HerrKapitan

Post edited by HerrKapitan on

You see everything in left and right, yeah?

It must be exhausting.

Maybe stop reading it or posting on it's sister site if you feel it doesn't fit your view, plenty out their to cater for you.

👍️

You see everything in left and right, yeah?

No, I don't - but I see bias in the way the media reports.

It must be exhausting.

Not really, it's not exhausting to see things that stand out for themselves.

Maybe stop reading it or posting on it's sister site if you feel it doesn't fit your view, plenty out their to cater for you.

I don't post on it. But I read it from time to time as I seek our reporting from different aspects - though Irish news sources are notoriously one-sided. www.allsides.com is an interesting site.

• Advertisement

No, I don't - but I see bias in the way the media reports.

I think any half functioning literate person would, more so if the piece is opinion and not strictly just news.

The problem is people reading things firmly with their own biases locked and loaded can't then detach themselves from their preconceived notions.

Perfect example just happened on this thread, Journal does copy and paste from the AP, same article appeared on various publications around the world.

The article itself was pretty mundane as articles go, but no, they are lying cuckhold liberals with an agenda.

Like I said it's exhausting.

The lines between opinion and news are increasingly blurred - I think you might agree? The majority of news reports on the Canada convoy were very scathing of a small cohort who were there to provoke with distasteful symbolism and the general message of how ordinary Canadians who were against mandates, well their message was drowned out and not acknowledged. The headlines went with Anti-Vax when the truth was they are an Anti-Mandate protest. Why did the majority of the media outlets report that aspect? It was to discredit the protests from the get go.

Similarly here in June 2020 when the BLM protests went against public health guidelines, the media vaguely reported these breaches - even Harris and Varadkar were very silk glove in their comments about the protests breaching public health advice. I guarantee you if the protests were about anything remotely critical of Government the media here would have pulverised them as granny killers, etc... If you cannot see that, then there is nothing one can do to help you see it.

The lines between opinion and news are increasingly blurred - I think you might agree?

I don't read opinion pieces as a rule, either in news or sports. I mean the pertinent players can give their opinion and I'll gladly read that and make up my own mind.

As for the protest in Ottawa, I think it would be pretty naive to think that there wasn't a fringe element to it, how big that was I have no idea, but I would be willing to have a look at any credible outlets that back up your claim.

As for the BLM marches, I think at the time I referred to them as "simpletons" but quantified that and gave them some credit for wearing masks, something you probably wouldn't get at an anti-mask rally.

I guarantee you if the protests were about anything remotely critical of Government the media here would have pulverised them as granny killers, etc

Not a sterling guarantee TBH.

The rather substantial mica and pyrite protests would suggest not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

the journal are well able to do their own "fact checking" when it suits them, so by copying and pasting the article without doing their own due-diligence, they were quite willing and complicit in spreading the mis-information about the protests.

Oh right, which "misinformation" contained in the article have you issue with?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭brickster69

"if you get on the wrong train, get off at the nearest station, the longer it takes you to get off, the more expensive the return trip will be."

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭arthursway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,343 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Wow, trudeau is really making himself look bad with this. The protests are completely peaceful. It's just the government freezing bank accounts and compelling companies to comply with their orders under threat of punishment. Totally normal and not complete authoritarianism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭brickster69

"if you get on the wrong train, get off at the nearest station, the longer it takes you to get off, the more expensive the return trip will be."

Advertisement