Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

Wow that really explains everything,doesnt it

You speak 4 languages too

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Ahherelads2022

So what date is the invasion so I can get the popcorn?

It's imminent right? Any second now, the Intel is there sure.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

1st Guards Tank Army mobilising along the border now, Divisional assets moving into place. They were only observed in staging areas up until this morning. Invasion is a certainty now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cork2021

I can’t see an invasion happening… it’s all postering by Putin and he knows he’s getting Europe and the US knickers in a twist

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Knickers in a twist to what end? They haven't secured any successions whatsoever from the US or EU. There is very little room to manoeuvre left for Russia to do anything else but to invade should it want to address and alleviate its security concerns - and Russia do have valid grounds for concern. Sure, they're self-interested and selfish concerns but that is the nature of statecraft after all. If addressing its concerns (which it believes are existential to the very existence of the Russian Federation) requires the complete destruction or annexation of the Ukraine State, then so be it.

Russia's security concerns will continue to mount and Ukraine will continue to strengthen its position in the years ahead. It's now or never for Putin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

This isn't sounding like 'Wag the Dog' any more. You must be scraping a different website now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Your position on this is disingenuous. Or else you clearly don't get it.

I'm no US fanboy. All invaders of foreign lands should be dealt with summarily. If we are still a neutral or non-aligned people, we should find the menacing nature of military exercises and build-up (and the constituent nature of those resources) anathema to all we believe in as peace-lovers. We should recognise the destabilising effect that such lingering threatening menace has on industry, investment, family plans, marriages, interconnectedness with other countries etc.

It's not rocket science. Ask any publican of the effects of rapid fluid changes ré Covid restrictions and what-if scenarios. Then multiply that by 1000 for the poor Ukrainians and ask who is to blame for that social and economic rot that is now upon them? Russia. It's very simple. Don't blame Ukraine for wanting to join NATO as that's what an abusive person does. Look what you made me do???

It is clear that USA, being the power broker for many decades, has committed many compromises and outright crimes. In addition to often being the bulwark against worst beasts. But here in Europe, we've had 70+ years of stable manageable tension. Even the Balkans became manageable with US/EU solidarity. But that also is becoming a powderkeg due to Russia playing games again, stoking old embers.

It is self-evident that NATO's origin was a bulwark against USSR. It is self evident that a number of former satellites of USSR have decided that status will never revisit them again. It is self-evident that Russia, like any other warmonger with an economic agenda to maintain, does not appreciate lose of spheres of influence.

It is extremely self-evident that a country surrounded on 3 sides by the sort of resources that are used to take territory would be caught in stasis and both losing billions in lost economic opportunity and wasting billions in reaction. It is self-evident that, provided Russia can secure assurances from its Eastern flank that all is well in the world, that it can then bring forward any amount of resources required to hold a territory the size of Ukraine or at least Russia-swayed Ukraine. Without having to worry about being exposed on other flanks. Such is the nature of war and geopolitics.

I suggest a Gofundme page and we raise enough money for a free all expenses paid trip to Eastern Ukraine for a lucky winner from the select few bourgeois intellectuals here. We can set a timeline. If there is no invasion by a certain date, we can reward you with a cash bonus when you arrive home. If it's a less than optimal holiday experience, we can still arrange for the idealist hero to be flown home horizontally.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭billyhead

• Registered Users Posts: 19,646 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

People believing Russia has no intention to invade would do well to remember that they also said they had no intention to annex Crimea before they went and annexed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,433 ✭✭✭jmreire

Well, Harry, you would be guessing wrong. Kabul but also Herat, Kandahar, Mazar-i-Shariff, Shar-i-Naw, Bagram, Rostaq, Faisabad, Bagram, Kunduz, Ghazni, Chagcharan..and a lot more smaller places, villages in the mountains. And I drove on the roads / tracks linking them, which was in many cases, and adventure in itself. Now, which of those Afghan Cities / villages did you live in Harry to get such extensive experience?? Or was it from TV / Newspapers. Because you sure dont understand Either Afghans or Afghanistan going by your comments.

Because I Lived in them Harry,,,,nearly 5 years in total. And I can tell you that the last thing Afghans wanted was a return of the Taliban. Why do you think thousands of them left their homes when the Talibs came back.. even trying to hang on to aircraft??? If a referendum could be organized in the morning to bring back the US, it would succeed 99%. You cannot compare what the British did world wide with the US in Afghanistan. The UK went into other Country's with the sole intention to rob and steal as much as they could. What did the US steal from Afghanistan? They spent trillions, trying to create a stable safe Afghanistan. And it was working too, The Taliban were defeated, but kept on life support by the Pakistan and Iran, who did not want a stable successful Afghanistan, and that's why the US failed. Now we will see just how much support Pakistan and Iran will give to Afghanistan in its hour of need.

Yes Chechnya had and theoretically still have the right to leave the Russian Federation, but what happened when they did try?? The Russians razed Grozny and all the major cities, and killed thousands of Chechens. ( not mention the thousands of Russian conscripts that went home in the death trucks) If you believe Harry, that Crimeans voted in free and fair referendum to leave Ukraine, then that's on you. But it's for sure not what I believe happened there, and same thing in Georgia.

But Hey, its another opportunity to have a go at the Yanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭tinytobe

You could be right, you could be wrong. We all don't know. Maybe it's just a cat and mouse game with Putin and the NATO. The only thing we know is that post-Covid we certainly don't need a war. Refugees all over, and gas prices as high as you didn't even imagine.

The only thing is, that in the event Russia doesn't invade the Ukraine, the threat will certainly not go away, at least as long as Putin is in office.

And the 2nd thing is that in the event of Russia invading the Ukraine, the Baltics will be next on the list. Don't be fooled about these two points. Trusting Putin is like trusting Hitler. Chamberlain was fooled as well back then as well.

Strategically, it's probably better for NATO and the West not to get involved in the Ukraine, even though it'll be morally wrong as the integrity and self determination of one country is compromised by a neighbour.

Strategically it would be better for NATO to focus on their NATO members, and re-inforce as much as possible in Poland, Romania, Bulgaria and the Baltics. Especially the Baltics could easily look like another evacuation of Dunkerque for NATO and Putin knows this as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

Ukraine is currently a basket case economically, as all nations tend to be when they are in an active war zone.

You're fairly naive if you think Russia needs to invade in a hurry. They have massive military resources compared with Ukraine, so can afford to keep this stalemate pretty much indefinitely if they choose. All the US can do, is sit and watch what happens. Their threats of sanctions are extremely hollow and insincere, most intelligent observers know this. You wouldn't have French and German leaders desperate to have multiple talks with Putin, unless they knew the score on that one.

Putin doesn't really want or need complete control of Ukraine. He only needs to stop anyone else from having total control - which he has effectively achieved already. Of course he would prefer a quick resolution, but doesn't need one. But he'll want significant guarantees in the form of NATO treaties and a fresh negotiation of the minsk protocol, to even consider a backwards step.

I would say beware of the patient man. Putin and Russia have been very patient with the west for 3 decades now. They've finally lost patience, and are not in the mood to be disrespected any further. It's time the US and other western powers gave Russia the respect they deserve and are entitled to. No more stepping on their toes, and disregarding their security concerns.

A lot of people are upset that the US are being highlighted here, but the reality is this is all about their foreign policy blunders for the past few decades. They've been sticking 2 fingers up to anyone who got in their way for far too long now. They're weak and getting progressively weaker by the decade, so nations are going to test their resolve. Russia have seized their moment, which they are perfectly entitled to do.

I've said it before, this is far bigger than Ukraine. It's unfortunate for the 41 odd million in that country, but Russia need to take a stand against US behavior. This is where electing someone as useless as Biden, becomes a monumental fcuk up on the part of the US. You can't really blame someone like Putin for taking such a gift wrapped opportunity.

The west is really up sh!t creek, if we keep electing such weak limp wristed leaders. We're simply feeding these hopeless bureaucrats to the wolves, with guys like Putin or Xi around.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭MFPM

This is at least the third time you've made these insidious claims about homophobia. The funny thing is if you knew the first thing about me you'd know how ridiculous your lies are.

Do you really lack that much confidence in your own arguments that you need to lower your self to the gutter so much. Remember your friends in Western Imperialism are solid friends of the House of Saud and Bolsanaro neither of whom are exactly brimming with support for gay rights!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭MFPM

You know that post was me quoting a Western journalist?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It's time the US and other western powers gave Russia the respect they deserve and are entitled to.

Deserve and entitled,but Russia need to take a stand against US behavior.

Jesus wept

What nonsense is that

German Chancellor Olaf Scholz wants a Russian withdrawal from the Ukrainian border and no moritorium on Ukraine joining Nato if they chose to ,

Looks like Putin's going to either have to withdraw from Ukraine or go all and invade,

It's pretty obvious now the Eu and NATO aren't backing down and add the fact people are now well aware of putins threats to the EU using gas and fuel supplies to gain control over states ,I can see whole relook into Putins relationships in Europe and the Baltics

Well, it's either that, or you have a nuclear armed superpower playing it's roll as grand disrupter to the west. And being pushed ever closer into a truly scary alliance with China.

When future generations look back on the decisions our leaders made, might they talk about the missed opportunities to pull these nations back from the edge of the cliff? By any means possible?

Putin is not wrong to protect his nation's interests. He's also not wrong when he talks about NATO's eastward migration since the end of the cold war, or the fact that the US would never tolerate such aggressive moves in their own back yard. Why should Russia sit back and tolerate it any longer?

Give Russia more respect, and you stand a much better chance of maintaining peace. Or keep following the American model for a peaceful world, and possibly have mutually assured destruction at some point in the future.

I'm actually amazed that so many people trust America to police these matters. Look at how they police their own cities and neighborhoods, and these are the guys we want leading the line globally to keep us all safe from potential nuclear Armageddon? lol

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Harryd225

How am I having a go at the yanks? I applauded them in my post saying that they did the right thing to leave Afghanistan. The majority of people may not support the Taliban, I never said that they did but the situation is far more complex than that, although a recent poll by ABC showed only 15 percent of people having support for the Taliban, it also showed 3 in 10 Afghans agree that attacks on US forces were legitimate, a less recent poll from 8 or 9 years ago show around half of Afghans having support for armed opposition groups, mainly the Taliban, the majority of Afghans also undoubtedly want Sharia law.

Whatever about how accurate these polls are, the Taliban definitely do enjoy some support, 99% of Afghans do not despise the Taliban like you claim based on your "extensive travel all over Afghanistan". Whatever about these anecdotal stories of having travelled all over Afghanistan which you are trying to say means your opinion is more valuable than everyone else's.

And I'm not saying it was a free and fair referendum in Crimea all I'm saying is that the majority of people in Crimea clearly want to be part of Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭firemansam4

What utter horseshit you are posting here.

Russia has absolutely no entitlement whatsoever to invade another sovereign nation.

Have I missed something or has Ukraine already invited the US into their country and started setting up missile bases to point at Russia?

I am no fan of the US, they have been involved in unjustified invasions themselves, which I will not defend at all. But that does not take away from the fact that Russia has absolutely no right or justification to invade Ukraine.

Looks like Ukraine is getting alot of support from the Georgian national legion,consisting of 27 nations from around Europe,mainly from former states where Russia have invaded or caused problems in the past.17000 strong so far.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

A retired NATO general has just said on RTE radio that he would expect a false flag operation against separatists in eastern Ukraine to provoke a Russian invasion.

Very honest of him it has to be said.

edit: ‘false flag’ were his words

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Harryd225

I notice an extreme difference of opinion with posters on here to other Irish sites like the journal.ie

The majority of people on that site see the situation very differently if you read the comments on the articles, most people on this site go along with the American and British media narrative but on the journal it seems they have a much more reasonable and balanced view on the situation.

It's what been said for years.

Remember when you told us about mass Graves of Russians been found in eastern Ukraine as evidence of genocide .....

What was that called other than bullshit ?

Under the command of a former Georgian military officer named Mamuka Mamulashvili, the Georgia National Legion formerly operated as a front-line unit in the early years of the war in Ukraine’s eastern Donbas region.

Russia should be stopped in Ukraine and Ukraine should get its sovereignty,” Mamulashvili said. “We are fighting for Western democracy, we are fighting for world democracy, in fact. And everybody should understand that it’s a real war, and it’s the real face of Russia that we see today in Ukraine.”

Since the war began in 2014, the Georgia National Legion has enlisted soldiers from 27 countries, including the US, Australia, Germany, Georgia, Mexico, Azerbaijan, the UK, Austria, France, Greece, Japan, Croatia, and Serbia. And now, with Russian forces massed on Ukraine’s borders threatening a full-scale invasion this winter, Mamulashvili said there’s been a spike in the number of foreigners applying to the Georgia National Legion with hopes of serving in Ukraine’s armed forces.

Atleast they have a reason to fight,something you seem to be missing alot

NATO had very advanced plans to set up in Ukraine. Crimea was earmarked for a major NATO installation.

Lets remember something here. History and context does matter to all of this, and too many people want to take some of these latest developments in isolation and ignore what has gone in the past.

NATO was set up to directly counter the supposed threat of the soviet union - despite the fact that the soviet union played as big a roll as any of the allied nations in ending ww2. Once the soviet union broke up, many people in Russia naturally believed that NATO would gradually cease to exist as a useful entity.

In fact many in europe had the same belief, hence why financial obligations were not being met by many nations as there was an understanding that it would eventually start to wind down. And there was an agreement that NATO installations would not move eastwards "not one inch" as is the famous quote.

Of course, none of that has happened. The opposite in fact. US led NATO has actually prioritized the move eastward, and has been giving Russia the proverbial 2 fingers for many years now. Trump even managed to increase their budget and force more commitments from nations who were looking for a de-escalation.

This is the power of American bullying tactics, and too many nations simply roll over and let them get their way. Putting everyone's safety in jeopardy in the process.

Ukraine is basically a failed state at this point. It's completely out of the question that Russia were ever going to allow the US to get their hands on Ukraine. Anyone who sees this as a simple sovereignty issue, is either being deliberately disingenuous or is badly misinformed. (I would be inclined to believe in most cases it's the latter)

Sprinkle a few Nato mercs in the mix aswell. Everyones a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

No I don’t ‘remember’, I never said anything about mass graves and you’re lying.

NATO had very advanced plans to set up in Ukraine. Crimea was earmarked for a major NATO installation...

Lol 😂😂 😂😂

• Advertisement

If we see the real Russia that are supposed to be such a threat then those sucker's will be dying fast. They will be lucky to get a week's wages from uncle sam, they better hope the spouse has access to the bank account.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement