Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Ebosele was actually playing right wing in a front three tonight. I imagine if you're going to call him up, you're going to be doing so in that position. I think you really want him higher up the pitch, taking on the opposition full-back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Would have him back up to Ogbene rather than RWB. Would be better used playing high up in attack with his speed. His assist tonight he left the LB for dead from a standing start. Can also give the ball away cheaply so we wouldn't get punished as much if it happens higher up the pitch.

Speaking of Ogbene he's starting to improve on his end product and has three goal contributions in his last three games. Tonight he got the assist for Irish U21 Josh Kayode.

Dara O'Shea completed 90mins for WBA U23s yesterday with Steve Bruce in attendance. Wouldn't be surprised to see him possibly involved with the senior squad at the weekend with his versitility from the bench given them options across the defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Nothing wrong with tying lads down either though to be fair. He'll be there on form and merit at this stage regardless. Considering he can play high up the pitch and further back he would be a decent player to cover a few positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

We have to be looking into the background of this Matt O’Riley at Celtic. He’s an excellent player. Has played for England underage, I think he’ll be a full England international at some stage. Obviously has some Irish background but maybe it’s 4 generations back?

• Advertisement

Hopefully Dean Smith has found a system which gets Pukki and Idah playing together and doing well. Currently out of the relegation zone as things stand.

Conor Ronan has 3 from 3 after scoring from the penalty spot after his two match winners against Aberdeen and Hibs lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Idah with a start and an assist tonight for Norwich.

Kilkenny back on the bench for Bournemouth while Travers starts.

O'Leary, McGuinness and Bagan, Dunne, and Egan starting for Bristol City, Cardiff, QPR, and Sheffield United. Connolly on the bench for Boro.

Has been said before doesn't qualify. Qualifies for Denmark and Norway. Has been in with the Denmark underage before and can see him declaring for them.

Good to see Dara O'Shea back in the match day squad for WBA after over five months out injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Lenihan sent off

• Advertisement

Comes on in the 86th minute for Furlong at RB with Sheffield United 2-0 up. Bruce has switched to a back four so interesting to see where O'Shea features once fully fit.

Looking at the latest round of PL, Championship and SPL games midfield is a massive problem. It can't be understated how much of a decline we are seeing. Not a lot to be optimistic about really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Watched the second half of Brighton vs charlton in the fa youth cup. Good to see ferguson in action anyway. He scored as did young Moran in a 2-0 win. Ferguson showed flashes of being really special and an all purpose forward but I wouldn’t say he dominated the game or his opponent. Hopefully he plays again in the next round.

That actually only his third appearance for Brighton's U18s since joining the club. Went straight into their U23s when he joined. Pity he's bypassed our U19s as would loved to seen a partnership of him and Calum Kavanagh in attack.

We've always had midfield players playing in the PL though or at a decent level. Whether it be Brady, Hendricks, McCarthy, McGeady or Whelan. I think Kenny is unfortunate with his ethos and system that we don't have any PL players in midfield anymore. It's going to start to show too.

Having no PL midfielders available is a decline from when we had the above lads I have mentioned playing regularly in the PL. That can't really denied.

To be fair to Ronan he is going well but at what level? Is it League One or Championship? Jury is out on that.

In any case Brighton are delighted to have him I’d say. Might cure their center forward issues basically for free. Hopefully anyway.

he took a shot from thirty yards last night that fairly stung the hands of the goalkeeper, he also muscled pass two defenders with speed, control and strength. That’s what I mean by an all purpose forward.

Scotland don’t to be fair. Mcginn McTominay and gilmour. Wales is debatable as well.

Agreed. The PL isn't the be all on and end all. But my point still stands. From having maybe 6-7 PL midfielders available we now have none really. That's a decline.

We've gone from the days of discussing how few champions league players we have to having very few PL players.

Even at championship level it's not as if we are flush for options either. Yeh we have a few but very little depth.

Out of our current squad and recent call ups we are at 5 league one midfielders. It is what it is though. But I'd still fail to see how the positives outweigh the negatives.

7 league 1 players in total and then a good few lads who can't get a game at their clubs currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Che Adams ,Liam Copper,Stuart Armstrong,Kenny Mc Clean ,

• Advertisement

I wouldn't argue that it's possible to qualify for major tournaments with championship standard players. hopefully Cullen , Browne and Knight for example can kick on a bit and become solid players for us. Having 7 players in League 1 does stand out though whereas Wales had 2 and Scotland had none. I know they had a pile of SPL lads in their squad though. It's great for them though that they have a league strong enough to draw players from. Out of the 11 that started again Moldova only 2 of them were SPL players though. 8 were PL and 1 was Belgian top flight. Then you factor in they have McTomnay, Ryan Fraser and Grant Hanley to come back in they comfortably have a really good team playing at the top level in football. it's not as if we are leaving out PL players either.

It's a worry for us that so much of our squad are at league 1.

Hopefully he develops into that all round number 9 and helps solve the issue for us too. He's a big lad and we could do with another big physical centre forward that could bully defenders. Besides Idah I can't see anyone else who'd be an option for us.

Hopefully now that Idah is starting to get a run of games behind him and gets more confident he'll start to use his 6ft3 frame more. He'll need it next season in the championship where defenders will tend to be more agricultural. If Dean Smith sticks with the front two of Pukki and Idah supporting him he'll need it if he's there to get through the dirty work for Pukki.

If Derby get their **** together he'll sign a new contract, and if they manage to stay up can see staying loyal to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭deisedude

I hope not tbh. Would love to see more Irish players trying their hand at the top level in other European leagues like Italy, Germany and France etc.

Given the money swirling around the Premier league it's going to attract the best players with the exception of a few other European super clubs and be the hardest for young players to break into.

Actually meant to say that Knight will stay loyal to them if they avoid relegation, and agree I'd love to see Festy take up an offer abroad with the interest that's been shown in him. Do think if he has to leave Derby there's a better chance of him going abroad.

Think Irish players more often remain too loyal to clubs that bring them through in England instead of putting themselves first.

Ebosele will only go to Udinese in name though. More than likely its watford taking advantage of father owning 1 club and son the other. It all depends on his representation though. If the decision is based on finance and wages he will go. If he wants to develop he would be looking at staying (if derby pull off an escape) or else moving to another championship side. A full season of 40-50 starts would crown him. Still young enough to be a PL player in his early 20's.

Smallbone in Southampton squad again. With Ward-purse linked to a big money move it would be great to see him getting regular PL time next season.

As they say though , cap the chap.

Smallbone has one appearance this season. Not exactly crying out for a call up.

• Advertisement

Yeah England aren't going to be kicking themselves they've lost a lad who'd be lucky to get one cap for them. Could be a decent player for us but will need to overcome his injury problems and start getting consistent game time.

Has only played 715mins in 15 games since moving up to the seniors at the beginning of the 19/20 season. Kilkenny has nearly double the minutes played this season than Smallbone has in his third season. Both lads could do with loans next season to push on for both club and country.

Coleman !!!!

Connolly surprisingly selected and the comments on Twitter means he needs a performance. Fans already on wilder’s back for picking him.

Middlesbrough are poor up front and most strikers bar Coburn are on loan. Some fans upset he hasn't been given a chance under Wilder and can see their fans getting more vocal if the loan lads don't deliver and get picked ahead him.

Connolly scores. Deflected finish but got a good shot off.

• Advertisement

Sporar and Watmore was more what I saw on the comments as the preference to Connolly.

Would be his luck. Hopefully it's only something that keeps him out for today which probably isn't the worst thing to happen when playing Man City. Though probably wouldn't have started and feel Norwich would have went 4-3-3 to have the extra man in midfield.

Doesn't sound good for Omobamidele, and hopefully it's not season ending for him. Dara O'Shea has returned at the right time.

U17s had a good week in Spain and were unlucky not to have two wins over Belgium. First game finished 2-2 with Belgium's equaliser coming through a 90th minute OG when a cross into the box was deflected into the net. Cork lads Franco Umeh and Mark O'Mahony scored for us with O'Mahony's goal coming 2 minutes after Conor Walsh saved a penalty at 1-1.

Well covered in that area thankfully. We should see jimmy dunne or mark mcguinness getting a chance. Obviously we dont want to push oshea just yet. Let him get himself right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I got slated on here recently suggesting that Seamus Coleman was finished, I was been on honest on too many below average performances for Everton, hurt me to say it but that was my assessment - Given Everton have a new coaching setup delighted to say Coleman was back to his best yesterday, delighted for him and to be proved wrong. Football can be about bad management and confidence.

Coleman is nearing the end now but Irish fans on here have been writing him off for 4 or so years. Same with Duffy. It’s just ridiculous. The Irish squad was so bad for those years and yet fans seem to think our few consistently good players were part of the problem.

Yeah next year will be his final campaign for us, probably. He'll be 35 at the end of the qualifiers and don't see Everton keeping him on beyond the summer of 2024. His contract is up in 2023 but he'll surely get another season while Everton integrate his long term successor Nathan Patterson into the team.

I'll say probably because Coleman strikes me as another lad who'll keep going for his country as long as his body. We'll miss Coleman massively when he goes, and hopefully he's someone we get straight into working as a coach with the underage system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

In a very disorganised Everton team , showed great leadership as captain in best performance of season

Mark Travers doing Mark Travers things again this weekend. Coming in for some big praise this week for pulling off important saves to keep Bournemouth in the game while 1-0 down. Went on to win 2-1 with two late goals but could have been 3-0 down at least if it wasn't for Travers.

Christie assisted for that one, but has now also gotten on the scoresheet himself.

Good game for the lads to perform well in as Kenny is supposedly at game going by a Swansea fan online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Charlie McCann got his first taste of first-team action with Rangers at Annan on Saturday. - https://www.the42.ie/charlie-mccann-2-5682118-Feb2022/

Game time in the SPL with Rangers after adding Aaron Ramsey but hopefully one to keep an eye on.

It's exciting seeing the amount of players from here playing in Scotland at the moment.

Cracker from Scales.

It will be interesting to see what Kenny does for the left back position in the forthcoming games. Scales and Manning seem to be doing well at club level while Stevens seems to have struggled badly with injuries.

Manning definitely needs to be seeing game time. Not sure who Kenny sees as his starting LWB but McClean is in the same boat as Coleman regarding age and Stevens has his issues with injuries this season.

One position that worries me the most is what happens if Josh Cullen gets injured. He's first name on the team sheet for me and someone you hope lasts the 90mins because the drop off after him is significant.

Hourihane started there in the friendly against Qatar but the lads probably had higher intensity matches in training that week.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement