Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heat Pumps - post here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,419 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

What is the flow and return temperatures for the existing UFH?

I presume you have a mixing valve on the flow from the oil boiler.

In simple terms, if the flow temp is too high and the pipe spacing too wide the HP wont work

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Has anyone retrofitted air-water roof panels into an old stone farmhouse with existing back boiler and OFCH? House is recently fully externally insulated, triple-glazed PVC windows. Attic is a balls though cos only approx half is insulated due to the design (vaulted ceilings upstairs mean there is no space between ceiling and roof to put insulation without blocking ventilation to roofspace) but I'm trying to look into rectifying that.

Is it a waste of time/money unless the house is totally and utterly insulated to the Nth degree?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Air to water roof panels?

Are you thinking of thermodynamic solar panels to heat domestic hot water?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Yep, my bad, sorry. I misunderstood what air source heat pumps were.

Anyway, allow me to rephrase that while the embarrasment fades.

Has anyone retrofitted an air source heat pump into an old stone farmhouse with existing back boiler and OFCH?

Does the house essentially have to be sealed tight as a drum or you're burning money? Chimneys bad etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bellie1

Can a heat pump be easily turned off, used on a timer? Don't want it running at all for 8 months of the year ..tbh we rarely use gas heating now. The only reason am considering is that the gas boiler needs replacing and are they going to be pretty much obsolete im ten years time? Asked a few survey guys who called and none of them could answer the question!

• Advertisement

You mean on for a hour here and there like the gas: no.

You may need to upscale the rads.

No mean turn off entirely for 8 months of the year. We only use gas heating for 4 months anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

yes you can turn pumps off entirely over the summer. A lot of people would leave them on as they will automatically know they arent needed, and some units can indeed I believe cool a home

😎

Thanks. First time heard re cooling in summer. That would be amazing for the few weeks we have a heatwave. Was on the fence re getting one Vs replacing current gas boiler which is ancient but those 2 bits of info are changing my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

So your homework on insulation / airtightness requirements. There's many disappointed folks out there expecting same levels of performance as gas or oil. Go in with your eyes well wide open. If your house isn't suitable you'll have to do other works to make it suitable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

There actually may be a case for batteries over solar, storing power cheaply at night and using during the day. Sounds mad I know but the maths on it might work out. Obviously your electric rate would be the key input to how that might fare

Cooling without dehumidification can be a recipe for disaster.

Warm air rises, cold air will not, it will sit on the slab

If you drop the temp below the dew point which depends on the RH then you will get condensation

its a bigger problem with MVHR in humid days in summer,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I’m in the middle of getting a heat pump installed, the plumber told me that during the summer I can turn it off but still use the thermostat to ensure constant hot water. It also, as mentioned above cools the house when it’s hot (I presume by running cold water trough the rads)

Would just be using the heat pump for cooling for a few weeks in summer. Is condensation that big an issue for a few weeks?

Have limited knowledge of heat pumps. Still can't find a company in cork who retrofit ductless mvhr( came across a company in Dublin that do this and seems the best approach for a 4 room house). Would love to invest in heat pump (especially after hearing about the cooling effect) but until sort the MHRV issue, then the gas boiler upgrade is winning out as less complicated .

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

The heat pumps that cool are usually air to air style ones ie air conditioners/heaters.

If you end up with the floor/rad temps being below the dew point, it would be like a cold glass of water with condensation dripping off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

So would that be a case of just ensuring the stat is set above the DP on a hot day?

Tricky to do because as the temp drops, the RH goes up. have a look at the link earlier and change the settings

and they will come with a condensate drip collector/pipe

Hadn't known what air to air heat pumps do. They're cheaper to install from my quick google? Wonder if might be more suitable option for us. I hate the house being too warm. We have an electric shower ,no immersion,so what's the need for hot water in taps anyway? We rarely have it . Alot of fact finding in store for me in next few months before decide what to do.

no idea how the cooling works or any issues, i have only seen the setting on the pump menu. Not had opportunity to use it, or don't know if it works.

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Mr Q

I have a NIBE heat pump and use it to cool during the summer with UFH. No issues but the information mentioned about the dew point by others is very valid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

We used our heatpump to cool the house last summer during the hot spell, it worked very well, was extremely surprised and pleased with it. Like others said keep the flow temp of the underfloor pipes over the dew point and you wont have a problem.

On windows 10 the weather widget will tell you the dew point, very handy.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

Wonder if cooling only works with ufh which we don't have. Have rung a few local companies about heat pumps and mvhr but none of them have come back to me.

Cooling is cooling, again the cold air from the rads will stay at floor level unless you have some circulation fans

• Registered Users Posts: 35 newbie_diy

Hi.. we moved into a house with a air to water heat pump early last year. We were just wondering if we need to get it serviced. How often? We way that heat merchants for a bronze, silver and gold service package..are they worth it..also is it worth fitting the Smart Cloud Remote Monitoring & Control module that is available or is it a waste of money?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

if your house gets too hot every summer, you probably should be looking for a solution that prevents it, rather then relying on cooling. For example some window shading

Post edited by Yellow_Fern on

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭MENACE2010

Hi

We have a heat pump for the last 8 yrs .. the heating will be switched off around April, what means the heat pump is used for warm water only. About cooling ...... really you really want to spend money to cool your house ? Bear in mind that the cooling is not going to be very efficient .. = more cost.

To replace the gas boiler yes , you can retro fit but the temperature of the water from the heat pump is lower so you need to tweak on the radiators ( replace with more efficient once ) potentially .. also bear in mind your insulation .. the better the insulation the less energy you need.

At the moment we use level pay whereby we level out the bills of the winter through the summer ( most electricity providers have a option for that) it works well for me .. (before I get a ton of responses) So far I have had one major fault on the heatpump that I managed to fix myself .. the softstarter failed.. quick replacement and we're back up and running

did it not start or what indicates soft start gone?

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭MENACE2010

outside unit did not start ( breaker flipped as well) .. and a good few alarms on internal unit. I have the heat pump online and received a couple of emails from the heat pump. For 8 yrs one Soft starter is not that bad. what is a challenge was the availability of someone to fix it .. (did it myself in the end .. not very difficult but again you need some experience with electrics )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Mr Q

About cooling ...... really you really want to spend money to cool your house ? Bear in mind that the cooling is not going to be very efficient .. = more cost.

I don't see an issue with this but each to their own. If the house is too cold in the winter you heat it, if mine is too hot in the summer I cool it.

Plus if there is solar PV with an excess it wont really cost anything on plenty of summer days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭simpsimp

We're in the process of doing that. As mentioned elsewhere, during the months when there is maximum sunshine, there is minimal heat pump operation! But I'm hoping that there is some overlap, and we've sized a slightly larger battery (8.2kWh) against the array size (5.55kW) for that reason.

Advertisement