Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can we integrate Unionism into a possible United Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭eire4

If Scotland become fully independent I think it will be not too long after that they rejoin the EU. As for defense sharing as the EU looks at having some form of combined defence policy/force I would be in favour of us ending our neutrality in that regard and being part of that. Our future lies as a part of the EU so IMHO that would make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,776 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

You are wasting your time trying to integrate belligerent Unionism just as you are trying to placate bitter partitionists.

The vast majority of Unionists looked a UI straight in the face when the GFA was agreed. They will look to have their rights protected (which they will be) and get on with it, just as they have with all the things belligerent Unionism has threatened the apocalypse over...the Anglo Irish Agreement, The GFA, parades, flags, etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,618 ✭✭✭✭downcow

I would actually agree that if a UI (as envisaged by many on here) ever happened, 50 years would dramatically decrease the sense of Britishness. But that type of UI has not a snowball in hells chance of happening.

I don’t believe the people of NI will in the foreseeable future vote to leave the Uk, but if they did it would result in anything but the 26 counties becoming 32. There would be devolution for ni in a UI just as there is in the Uk. There is no way the majority of southerners would have the stomach for the challenges of trying to rule 32 counties.

I couldn’t even guess how many unionists would leave before knowing what the UI would look like.

I have just spent the last few days with a Scottish family who all voted for independence. They tell me that that ship has definitely sailed. The opportunity was missed and they can’t see it coming around again for generations. They tell me the snp is in disarray and being laughed at by former voters eg their proposal to cut the bottoms of all school doors to provide ventilation for covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I think the likely outcome will be a United Ireland eventually. But it will be over a very long time. Nobody will feel like a winner and nobody a loser as it will take so long. There isn’t a hope in hell of a republican waking up in 10 or 20 years time in a 32 county republic ruled from Dublin. I can see Scotland leaving and the UK changing. NI will become further detached from the UK and step by step be incorporated into Ireland. I think joe Brolly is right in what he said recently that it will be like a two state solution initially, backed by money from America and the EU as the population is so small it wouldn’t cost them much.

Most young people in NI aren’t as negative about the other side as their parents and grand parents were. I think there will be much more mixing and inter marriage in the future and who knows where that will lead. That along with more immigration and less religion in peoples lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Harryd225

I wouldn't be so sure, I could see a United Ireland in the next 20 years it's definitely within the realms of possibility in my opinion.

Agreed, although many posters on here seem to be in denial and think the Protestants in the North will be as staunchly Unionist as ever 50 years after a United Ireland, despite the Union ceasing to exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Once more, Downcow lands in with a totally unverifiable anecdote that just happens to align with his pre-existing notions.

And again, a take that is totally at odds with the reality on the ground; latest Ipsos poll has an increased majority in support of Scottish Independence, Scottish Independence as the second most important single issue for voters (after healthcare, which is understandable given the pandemic), an increased support for SNP and Nicola Sturgeon remains the highest rated party leader.

https://www.ipsos.com/en-uk/boris-johnsons-ratings-hit-record-low-scotland-snp-support-stays-strong

That aside, hope you had a nice holiday and it's good to see you back posting again, Downcow.

It didn’t take you long to personalise things. I personally don’t follow the independent Scotland polls or Scottish politics. I am simply reporting what a Scottish family told me. They listed a number of snp scandals and also said that for the first time in years there were relatively impressive leaders of the other parties in Scotland.

I will have a look at the polls but this is off topic.

thanks for the welcome. I see not much has changed

edit. I had a wee look. These polls are hard to follow but this one a few weeks earlier suggests that Scotland won’t be going anywhere. I couldn’t find any since snp recent disasters https://www.holyrood.com/news/view,nicola-sturgeon-popularity-ratings-drop-by-nearly-40-points-with-scottish-voters

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

The point is that your anecdote is just that. Basing your opinion on the likelihood of Scottish Independence or support for the SNP on such a small sample is about as much use as a chocolate teapot, particularly when actual polling suggests a majority support Independence and the SNP are still by a mile the most popular party.

I haven't cherry picked polls to try and support my view, I picked the most recent poll I could find from a reliable source. I'd highlight that the data I provided is more recent, that your own link points out that Sturgeon is the ONLY party leader with a positive rating, and even the much more pessimistic figures in your link certainly don't paint the picture you try to in your original post, with the SNP in disarray and issues around Independence settled.

You've posted IPSOS polling yourself on occasion, so I presume we can agree that they're a reliable source. If you want to discuss any specific figures and how they align (or don't) with your anecdote, I'm happy to do so.

• Advertisement

They listed a number of snp scandals...

And we are to believe they have casually ignored the many many scandals in the Tory party? They seem a bit selective this family of friends you have. 😁

I am not sure what the point of a discussion forum is if we are just going to accept that all opinions must agree with the latest poll (no matter how old).

of we follow this through then there should be no threads on Irish unification since every poll in the last 100 years has said it’s not happening. That’s pretty conclusive.

but back to the op question, I think the type of UI which would occur after the hypothetical UI vote, is crucial as to whether no remains with strong aspects of ulster-British culture

You are spinning this into something or is not. Are you suggesting my Scottish friends are not even allowed an opinion. They were referring exclusively to the main parties in Scotland and their Scottish leadership. We didn’t even discuss Boris. I wasn’t aware of the snp proposing cutting the bottoms of every school classroom door in Scotland, until they told me. It certainly give us a laugh over our beers

I was commenting on their 'selective' opinion and the nonsense positioning of UK unionists who look down their noses at leadership while cosying up to Tory's. It's a siege mentality deathwish

If that helps you deal with the current conundrum republicans face ie they anticipated ni would last for 5 years, and 100 years later it is alive and well and southern interest in uniting is in continual decline.

I an going back on topic to discuss the impact on Britishness following any hypothetical UI.

NI is a pathetic failed statelet downcow and in one hundred years has not at any point been a success for it's people - Unionists included. You live in perpetual siege even if you refuse to recognise it.

A UI will have no impact on your identity, you are free to identify as you wish.

That’s even more sad for you. That your fellow Irish choose to live in a ‘pathetic failed statelet that has not at any point been a success for it's people’, rather than take up the option the gfa presents to them to live in the promised land.

it’s not unionists anymore who are blocking a UI utopia, it’s northerners who were born into the nationalist community. Thank god they have seen the light just in time.

Nationalists have not been allowed to vote on it. The people of the north have said quite clearly that they wish to stay aligned to the south and the EU ...hence unionist knicker twisting and imploding that we are seeing at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

The North has never been a functioning region, never mind country, so in that sense it has always been a failure. The idea that the north would be maintained as some sort of freakish pickle-jar preservation of unionism's failed project in a UI is laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭FraserburghFreddie

Looking through various threads here, it appears the 'An phoblacht' reading 'head in the clouds'types are as out of touch with reality as the snp here in Britain.The snp has no idea how they would finance future pensions just as the sf types are detached from the real world.

Post edited by FraserburghFreddie on

• Advertisement

Your challenge Tom is to convince those brought up in nationalist homes of that analysis. That’s all you need. Unionists are not your blockage anymore. Unfortunately for you it’s headed the wrong direction.

They are desperately trying to hang on to the last vestiges of their veto by stomping off and taking the ball with them. Another strategy that will fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭arctictree

In reality I think we are a fair bit off from a UI. But we could be entering a period of north/south cooperation on steroids, given a soon to be SF first minister.

A United Ireland is easily achievable within the next 20 years in my opinion.

Unification doesn't really enter many people's minds so the debate around the negatives and benefits once a referendum is called will be the deciding factor in the referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

I have actually gone off the idea of a United Ireland via making concessions to the Unionists. Either a majority wants to join the Republic or they don't, it shouldn't be a negotiation imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

A ui isnt 'joining the republic' - its much more complex and has to start with discussion and negotiation

Any concessions to the Unionists would be voluntary by us as a gesture to them. No such concessions have to be made.

It essentially is though. The reality is that NI has nothing to offer the Republic. Why would anyone from the Republic want a UI other than for patriotic reasons? If a majority of the people in NI vote in favour of a UI, great. If not, that's perfectly fine too.

I honestly don't see a place for the DUP/Unionists in a United Ireland though.

Northern Ireland in all probability would be a great investment for the Republic according to numerous studies including a study by some of the greatest experts from around the world with previous experience on similar studies of German and Korean Unification.

Brexit has also shown that the Irish people North and South have next to no say in what happens to the Irish border, the Tory government is still making some of the decisions on what's best for us, issues like this have been arising and will continue to arise so long as Ireland is still partitioned.

Commenting on the study, Marcus Noland, Executive Vice President and Director of Studies at the Peterson Institute for International Economics, provided comment on the study, writing: "Modeling Irish Unification is an important, timely examination of the economics of Irish unification, applying state-of-the-art modeling techniques to the issue at hand. The modeling work illustrates a variety of channels which are likely to be at play in the Irish case, and concludes that Irish unification would be economically beneficial to both parts of the island".

Post edited by Harryd225 on

• Advertisement

The only potential benefit cited for the Republic in that article is 'economies of scale'. That would take time to come to fruition and there would almost certainly be a major financial shock for both the Republic and NI upon the unification of the Ireland.

I would never stand in the way of a United Ireland but I can tell you for a fact that middle-high income earners would not be in favour of a UI if it meant paying more tax than we do already. I work in Dublin and I was walking past the GPO last week at 7pm. The line for free food stretched as long as the eye could see. People are on their knees, despite the narrative that we live in a 'wealthy country'.

Our property market is dysfunctional, our health system has been crumbling for the past decade, our public transport is abysmal and the cost of living grows by the day. We would not be able to sustain the financial shock that would come with the unification of the North and South.

Lastly, and this may be an unpopular take, but I don't want a United Ireland to be an amalgamation of Republicans and Unionists. Either the people of NI vote to join us here in the Republic, or they don't. We shouldn't be forced to redefine ourselves as a country to appease the Unionists.

Advertisement