Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Test drove one yesterday. Dealer explained that price has gone up for all options? Also, that executive plus are now coming in without sliding console, even though it's part of the spec. Premium coming in without ambient lighting. That some premium plus came in with the sunroof when they shouldn't have and customers didn't want them. That there's other extras on premium plus that they just aren't doing anymore and it's a mixed bag with what you might get. That some customers had different colour trim than what they had wanted. Basically said that there could be any amount of differences to the car you'd picked out and you just have to go with it. That they can't guarantee me they can get the car I want and I have to put a deposit in before they can even get an idea of how close they can get it for me. If I'm paying out that much for a new car I'd want a decent idea of which one I'm getting. Starting to wonder would it be better off waiting till next year and putting in an order early.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭PhilBky

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭podge1979

Yeah it's not great and happening with other cars also, seller's market and if people don't take it there plenty more customers to take me. I would think it'll to take at least 2/3 years before it gets near to a buyer's market, when chip crisis gets sorted and backlog gets cleared.

When you say premium plus came with sun roof do you mean the vision roof as that was always in the spec. People in the UK very unhappy as that's not part of UK spec.

I got all features advertised on spec for premium plus but there others starting to drop a bit now.

I see that with a lot of first release of cars initial ones loaded (but sometimes buggy features). They tend to figure out the standard over time and get more consistent.

The vision roof has always been part of the Premium Plus spec in Ireland but not in the U.K.

What I would find concerning would be finding a car I had paid a deposit for and waited a good while for, when delivered was at variance to the spec ordered and finding the dealer unwilling to negotiate on the previously agreed price knowing there are more customers than cars.

If you want a definitive spec it’s probably best to be patient and wait until April when the 2023 spec can be ordered although it will be more expensive and not available until the turn of the year.

My 2022 original spec Premium Plus came exactly to spec. However the downside was I had no colour choice as the dealer only had one allocated for January when I ordered at the beginning of November. On the plus side I didn’t have to pay a deposit.

Yep vision roof was one of the main reasons I went for the premium plus. Madness someone would turn down that especially when you can close it and pretend it not there 😁

I ordered around the same time as you and had two choice colours but had to pay the deposit.

Had an interesting conversation with the dealer when they tried to charge me the January price rather than what was agreed in November.

Spec communicated to me in November for premium plus and what I got too.

• Advertisement

I agreed a price in November. I was initially disappointed with the price they gave me for my i40 but when I checked what identical models with similar mileages were advertised for by various dealers and given that I essentially got matte paint (€750), transfer of my front and rear dash cams (approx €100) and a full charge (at least €19 at public charging rates - in 57 years I’ve never had a new car delivered with more than a couple of gallons in the tank) I was quite happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭PenguinForce

Out of curiosity have they taking out yet any dpec for premium plus yet?

We already have ours and it came loaded as advertised and no price change was even mentioned. We ordered ours last September. What was the January pricing they said to you?

The only thing that really bothered us when ordering were the colour options for interior and exterior. Seeing that other countries you can mix and match whereas we get what they have chosen for us.

Yeah I think if you ordered in Jan was 500/1k dearer depending on the dealer.

I think the way it works is Hyundai country reps set the specs roughly and limited options on that mainly colour. Think that's why UK specs have no vision roofs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Comer1

It's grand if your doing small milage if your doing big milage you really have to hang onto it depending on the car market. If you do the balloon payment at the end is like getting a loan for a new car without getting a new car.

Mightn't be as bad with value of 2nd cars now but know people who were burnt badly on trade ups due to milage penalties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

I’m waiting for my L2 charge point to be installed at home. In the meantime, I’m trying to use the supplied L1 portable charger & every time I initially connected it, my fuse board tripped. Nothing significant running in the house ie no washing machines or dryers. I changed the amperage on the 3 pin charger transformer down to 6 from 10 & it worked successfully without tripping, albeit as expected it’s slow. But it got me to 80% over about 16 hours.

However, I tried the 6 amp charge again today & the board tripped ! Again there were no big appliances operating on either occasion.

Is the charge level on the car a factor here ? The first time on 6A we were 38% going up to 80%. Today we wanted to top up from 68% to 80% & it tripped.

Thoughts appreciated.

Mileage penalty only means anything if you are handing the keys back. This common misconception is still out there. If you do a lot of mileage on your car the value goes down whether you are on PCP or not. So you don't get badly burned at all. If you bought the car with cash and not PCP and wanted to trade it in after 3 years the value would be the exact same for the car if you had done PCP?

The common misconception is my experience hence why I held on to the car and privately financed from there. Look at the contract and see what the penalties are outside the milage allowance.

It fine when the 2nd car market is good but a few years ago not as easy to sell 2nd cars and know people who had to tied themselves into another PCP same model car but new and their PCP payments went up.

Gives a good overview https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thejournal.ie/i-need-a-new-car-and-pcp-seems-too-good-to-be-true-is-it-an-expert-weighs-in-4076742-Jun2018/%3famp=1

There are about 80 of these parked up at the port awaiting delivery to dealers (you pass them on the way to the ferry)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭w124man

Thanks. I know so many people wishing that they didn't get onto the PCP roundabout although with a battery car I thought it might be an idea. I'm going to wait until 222 plates are out before I buy.

Also according to someone on this thread the GMFV on a 55k premium plus was only around 18k seems very low.

I got that sort of GMFV on a 30k car in 2016.

I'm just trying to understand, when you say people got badly burned on trade ups due to mileage penalties, what penalties were there. I'm genuinely trying to figure it out before I take out a other PCP. Is there a PCP that penalises you in some way if you trade up? I thought the mileage penalties are there only in situations where people hand the car back. In other words, they have to cover themselves in situations where someone does mental mileage in a car and hands it back after 3 years and it has 300k on it and is worth nothing like the GMFV. In that case the contract has a certain amount per km over the agreed limit in the contract. So that's the only situation where you could get burnt by high mileage. In all other situations your mileage affects you the same as it would affect you regardless of what type of finance you have taken out I would have thought., Does it not? For example. You take out a credit union loan for 6 years on a 30k car at 8% interest rate. After 3 years you've done 200,000 km in it and it's worth 15k. You continue paying your normal payments that you set out in the beginning regardless of the value. Another person takes out PCP on the 30k car. For first three years they pay maybe 1.9, 2.9 or 5.9 interest rate. At the end of three years the car did 200,000 km and is worth 15k. The GMFV is maybe 18k. They continue finance for 5.9% with the dealer or they take out finance elsewhere to pay the dealer and continue making their repayments. In both cases, the amount of mileage made absolutely no difference and there was no penalties. I know because I took out PCP at 0% for 3 years and then 5.6% for the next 3 years on the GMFV payment. If I took a loan with any other institution in the country I would have spent far more on cost of credit. And my mileage is extremely high. I can't see where I was penalised? Am I missing something?

Ok if that's the case then why not just take out Hire purchase if you have no intention of handing back the keys?

Financially speaking also PCP makes it feel like not a big lay out going when in reality you could get sucked into a cycle of PCP and kinda gambling with GMFV and equity or lack of equity.

I did a PCP for 4 years but in reality was 6/7 years to pay the car off fully. Penalties would have been massive to hand back the keys and also you tied into a trade with that dealer. I told them they'd have to give me a deal on a new car where I wouldn't be paying more monthly than my last car as should have had equity in the car. They weren't able to do that. I've yet to hear of anyone who had cheaper payments on their 2nd PCP.

I personally would go hire purchase with cash lump sum up front. In the end I went lump sum and credit union loan (3.9% not 8%).

PCP is attractive lower payments because your not paying the full amount for the car.

The main thing that got me though was the balloon payment/refinancing.

But it's up to it individuals, look up some financial experts (not the lenders) and see what they say. I'm no financial expert just my opinion/experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

The mileage penalty only applies if you hand the car back.

Also there is no need to stay with the same model or brand car, you can trade in a PCP car with any garage.

You are correct penalty only applies if you hand the car back.

I've had several PCPs some a little over the limit, some under, no penalties, when you trade in the finance company just wants the settlement figure they don't care what milage is on the car as they are getting their money back. What they don't want is to get the car back, with high milage, which is why they have the penalties in that scenario. Ideally of course they don't want the car back at all as that's way more hassle than just getting their money.

• Advertisement

I not sure you can trade it in with any garage until you have the balloon payment made or have agreement from the finance company. As your with say VW bank and balloon payment left you can't trade it with say a Hyundai garage as you don't own the car.

I might have misunderstood the above. I was getting terrible trade ins (even buy my car) zucar was 1.5k better than any dealer including the one I bought the car initially from.

The way I see it theres a reason why finance houses and dealers push PCP appears like low payments and also ties people in more of a chance also for them to make money.

If you don't have the cash and want a nice car with low payments but potentially won't own it for 7 years out right (reason I went with PCP last time). Circumstances different this time also benefit of credit union loan is you can pay off early without penalty.

They were touting PCP at one stage as the new sub primes but thankfully economy has taken off again and chip crisis made 2nd hand and GFMV better (clouds and silver linings).

All dealers are well used to PCP this point, but even 6 years ago when they were relatively new I had no issues with trade ins with other garages.

There is no need to pay the balloon or have any agreement with the finance company in advance.

Yes technically it's not your car legally to sell, but any garage you talk to will ask for the settlement figure or contact the finance company to get it and then quote you on what's left over.

If you do a deal with them, then they will send the settlement amount to the finance company to clear the finance and the remainder goes towards whatever you are buying. Finance company doesn't care who sends the money. It's been totally smooth for me. Well slight wrinkle once was the settlement was sent, from a BMW dealer, near to when the next payment was due, so VW bank took the next payment after getting the settlement. I had to call them to get it back but it wasn't much of an issue other than them having some extra money of mine for a week or two.

Zucar will do that with cars on PCP too, they get the settlement, send it to to the finance company and you get the rest.

Of course the garage you get the PCP from will probably emphasise the whole not legally your car to sell so that you'll come back and take whatever they offer. Unfortunately it's not in their interest to tell you how these thing work.

What you can't do so easily is sell the car privately. In that case is the buyer going to trust you to pay off the finance or are you going to trust the buyer to payoff the finance? Neither option great there, realistically you'll have to settle the finance before selling.

The main issue with PCP is someone getting to the end and expecting to get a new car for the same monthly and no deposit and who have not made any allowance for potentially having to put some more cash in and then finding the car isn't worth much more than the GFMV. Now some brands use a high GFMV to lower the monthly payments to make it more attractive, but it leaves you little equity. BMW are one that does that for sure. If you do the maths upfront you'll see their GFMVs are higher than those from most other brands, but how many customers will do that? Then 3 years later they have a pissed customer, not sure it's a good strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Summer2020

Could anyone tell me the correct tyre psi to use ? I've the executive model with 19" tyres. Had a slow puncture and asked the guy to reinflate to 37psi as this is what I had read somewhere..he inflated it to 51 psi stating that this is what the tyres are rated for .. can anyone shed light on what their own are on? 51 seems far too high ..Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭shanec1928

the sticker with what psi to use should be on one of the door jams.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Summer2020

Thanks , I just remember people saying they did test drives and the psi was around 50 also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭denismc

My car came with the tires inflated to 50psi but the manual recommends 38 psi so I reduced the pressure to about 40.

The maximum allowable pressure is printed on the side wall of the tire which afaik is around 50 psi, I'm not sure if inflating to the max is the best for the tire or ride comfort.

Each car has a sticker on the B pillar on the driver’s door side low down showing the correct pressure for the tyre sizes and load carried. Why anyone would use anything else is a mystery.

The reason tyres are over inflated on delivery to the dealer is that from loading on the ship to delivery off the car transporter at the dealers is often a period of up to three months with minimal vehicle movement. To minimise flat spots the tyres are inflated to their max rated pressure and should be reduced by the dealer when doing the PDI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭John arse

Think they're overinflated for transport and shipping purposes-should be corrected at pre delivery inspection by the dealership.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭russelldlee

Has anyone located anywhere online to purchase the detachable Tow Bar?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭rob808

Hi got my ioniq 5 there on Friday.The dealership charge it up to 90%.I got it motor tax but having trouble insurance it since my registration isn't showing up on there system.

The girl from my insurance said I should be able insurance it in few days and have temporarily insurance on it till Friday.

There one thing I notice when I jump into my ioniq 5. I keep getting the 12v battery discharge warnings anybody else have this problem only have the car less than a week.

Advertisement