Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

yep thats exactly how the day panned out , lots of clare hurling people stayed on to watch the football loads of club clare hats knocking around the palce , it was always going to be a tough day for the hurlers , but there was an expectation around the place with the footballers , it was a sickining goal to give away

cillian brennan had a great game on brian hurley , hurley took the free it droped short cillian didnt hear the shout from the keeper and colided sickining , but with only a few minutes left and the crowd up for cork fair play to aaron griffen who probably has had better nights to kick over such an important score from a tight angle great effort

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

Didnt see the football but the hurlers seemed happy to let Cork get the ball before making a move. No intensity, very loose around the middle in particular and no hope of winning the ball in the air. It reminded me of many Clare Cork games of the 80's. So I just remind myself that Antrim beat us in the first round last year and things can get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭letowski

I agree there are some very good prospects on that team. I’ve seen a good bit too of the full back Adam Tuohy who has played underage for Clare these past few years, top class talent.

Terrence Fahy has done an excellent job with them, hopefully he can bring success too to the u20s this year. You got to love the work rate and effort his team plays with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Figerty

having watched Wexford match Limerick today physically, tactically and mentally today they are going to be a different team than we played in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭caddy16

I think the footballers will be a bit disappointed. They're a better side than Cork and deserved to win, pity about the goal. Cork are one of the poorer sides in the division so I hope it doesn't come back to bite them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Work in progress, work in ******** progress!!!! 3 years into a management term it's not a work in progress it's put up or shut up time.

with so many players out what do people expect at the moment , and not to mention the retiremnet of colm galvin last week , most probably shane o'donnell also at some stage this year both in there mid to late 20s , the gap is too big at the moment from the players leaving the panel to the ones coming in

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

A plan, a style of play, fundamental skills

Well that's what I would expect anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Windy I get your point. We have a shallow panel. Without Kelly, O Donnell ect we will struggle but there's no excuse for 9 unanswered points before half time and not a glove left on any Cork man..As John Kiely said last year to his team at half time against tipp...'you have to physically engage '. We didn't and traditionally we make people earn a score. Our goal thought it a good idea to pass a 50/ 50 ball to a player surrounded by 3 Cork players who dispossessed said player and strolled up a vacant left wing to score a goal.. we need a new goalie . And our defence needs to get a yellow card for flattening guys not pulling jerseys. We are embarrassing at times.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

I agree with you on Quilligan, it was a taught that was in my head when I was watching the second half. There was a massive gulf in class in the way both keepers played their puckouts into the wind. Collins was getting a low crisp trajectory on his, with his players running onto the ball. Now, its a tough skill to control those sort of balls, but at least it gives the player a chance to win the puckout. Quilligan on the other hand.. high, lofty, hanging balls into the half forward line. Cork players just smothered our puckouts with ease and went 1-10 unanswered before half time.

I like Quilligan as a shotstopper, but I feel like his puckout striking is too much of a drawback in his game. In the old days, a good shotstopper was enough to be a starting intercounty keeper, but you need the ball striking skills nowadays or you put too much pressure on your half forward line.

Of course on the other hand we need more size between 8-12, as we have needed for 10 years, but that's another issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

As you say, between the 40s.

Cork's starting half back line and midfield scored 1-10 from play (actually more than their forward line did). their long-range shooting was excellent, especially with the wind in the first half. But it was a real lesson, even at a long distance, they will punish you at top level.

in contrast, D.Ryan got 2 points for us, but rest of midfield and HB line didn't score.

Who will actually start for us in midfield in the championship ?

Do we bring Malone back there, once our injured forwards come back. Aidan McCarthy another option, assuming he's fit.

As for Wexford next week, hopefully Conlon and David Fitz can play a bigger role.

On the plus side, we did score 2-21....and without Tony Kelly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Gael85

My argument Saturday evening, not just Kelly but Peter duggan, John conlon Aidan McCarthy Ian Galvin , serious 5 players to be missing

The performance of Ryan,Rodgers , Taylor and maybe Malone is being in overlooked from last week the two young lads showed well at times too Meehan and crotty

Shane O'Donnell too. Those players will certainly help, the worry is that a few of them are coming back from serious injuries and there is an early start to the championship.

I would feel though were still a bit lightweight around the midfield and half forward line. Duggan can help there, even if he is expectedly well off his best, at least he would be another puckout option with Malone. I prefer Taylor in midfield than half forward being honest and I think Davy Mc is much more comfortable in the backs facing the ball. From 8-12, were looking at a combination of Kelly, Taylor, Duggan, Malone, SOD, Reidy and hopefully Aidan Mc. Crotty is looking like he can offer something off the bench, even if he is just 18.

For me aswell, Aron Shanagher is getting to the point of where we will have to start looking at other options. Maybe he can develop his game more during the league, but I just don't see it. Were just not getting enough of a scoring return from him, nor is he giving us much of a presence up there either. I get Lohan wants a focal point to the attack, but he didn't give us that last year on the big days. Maybe we go back with Conlon at 14.. but then we have to revisit the centre back question again.

I doubt Conlon has the legs to go back to 14. Keep him at CB.

If not Shanagher, then we need to give Domhnall McMahon more game test, or put SOD back there. Crotty looks interesting, but 18 is really young for senior Munster championship.

But let's keep context here. Shanagher is excellent at FF on his day, and has done so in the championship. And this is only the opening round of the league. He did look a bit lost v cork, but I'm sure he got much good ball into him either.

Rodgers and Meehan have massive potential in the forward line.

Yeah Shanagher has had some very good games in the championship, most notably against Waterford a two years ago. I think though backs are starting to figure him out a bit. He needs to develop his game more, particularly his striking on his right side. If he can fit another level and consistency he can be a very good forward. I think Clare also need to vastly improve their distribution into the forwards too.

But certainly on a positive note, Rodgers looks the real deal and looks set to emerge as an excellent scoring inside forward. Meehan too has huge potential, probably just needs to add more composure on the ball, but that will come. He has blinding pace.

Conlon named at no.11 for Sunday.

Although whether he actually lines out there is another thing

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭supernova5

keepnhurling,

do you know reserves and panel named ? [16 to 26]

Clare Team

1. Eibhear Quilligan (Feakle)
    2. Rory Hayes (Wolfe Tones)
    3. Conor Cleary (St Joseph’s Miltown)
    4. Paul Flanagan (Ballyea)
    5. Diarmuid Ryan (Cratloe)
    6. Jack Browne (Ballyea)
    7. David Fitzgerald (Inagh-Kilnamona)
    8. Jason McCarthy (Inagh-Kilnamona)
    9. Paddy Donnellan (Broadford)
    10. Cathal Malone (Sixmilebridge) (Captain)
    11. John Conlon (Clonlara)
    12. Ryan Taylor (Clooney-Quin)
    13. Shane Meehan (Banner)
    14. Domhnall McMahon (Michael Cusack’s)
    15. Mark Rodgers (Scariff)
    16. Éamonn Foudy (Inagh-Kilnamona)
    17. Aron Shanagher (Wolfe Tones)
    18. Darren O’Brien (Éire Óg)
    19. Darragh Lohan (Wolfe Tones)
    20. Shane Golden (Sixmilebridge)
    21. Mike Gough (Smith O’Brien’s)
    22. Paidi Fitzpatrick (Sixmilebridge)
    23. Robin Mounsey (Ruan)
    24. Patrick Crotty (Scariff)
    25. Cian Galvin (Clarecastle)

• Advertisement

I’d say Conlon will likely play at centre forward, MacMahon full forward as MacMahon has come on at 14 in all the Munster League games and last week too. But at the same time, I wouldn’t mind seeing them switched at some point tomorrow.

Im not sure about what we do at 6 now. Browne has played solid there for his club, but obviously intercounty is a different level altogether. But I do like Conlon back into the forwards just to have a presence up there.

Really need to see a reaction now from Clare tomorrow.

The reaction is clear from management, springing Conlon this early in the league will hopefully give us a bit of structure but also allow him to ease into things, I doubt he'll last the whole match. The forwards look great for tomorrow, considering the players were have to come back in I think that's the strongest forward unit we've had in a long time, now all we have to to do is strengthen 5 to 9

Sounds like they have just moved Conlon back up to the FF line

lets hope for everyone's sake that Clare are getting all the bad displays out of their system now because if they are not this season is going to be an unmitigated disaster of the highest order

Poor enough stuff from Clare, although at least we’ve got more parity between the 40s and are just 2 points down at half time. So some improvement I suppose.

Our use of ball and distribution is infuriating though. We just can’t get a regular good supply of ball into the inside line in space. I think we went 16 minutes without a score. I suppose we’re down 4 starting forwards including Kelly so scoring struggles were expected this spring.

One thing, I like Conlon’s presence back on the edge of the square as Rodgers and Meehan are very light together. He created the goal.

Nobody ever remembers the early rounds of the league.

But still, don’t want to get into a losing habit. A win would be welcome here, given we have Limerick and Galway to come.

Disappointing to lose in the end, but an improved performance.

If there is one positive I’d take from the game, it was young Patrick Crotty. I don’t know if it’s too early for him to be a starter, very few lads are county starters at 18 years old.. but all else equal he definitely has earned a starting place the next game. Looks are really good player for us.

Conlon I taught did well over all for his first game back. But we need to get better ball into him and play Meehan and Rodgers off him. But our distribution has been an issue for quite a while.

The David Fitz mistake was the difference I suppose at the end of the day, or I suppose you could say Rory O’Connor. But it was a good workout. Hopefully we can one or two back the next day. Especially someone like Peter Duggan who needs these games.

that's a fair enough analysis letowski, generally the new young lads are showing up quite well, at least they showed plenty fighting spirit in the second half

Yeah in fairness some of the younger players did have good games. Obviously Crotty, Donnellan I think got 3 points from midfield, Meehan 1-1, Rodgers a score of two from play. I think Rodgers and Meehan are still very much settling into this level, they get caught in possession a few times which is natural as this is a much faster game at intercounty. But it’s good to see some young flashes, hopefully too we will see Cian Galvin this league.

Was probably a bit reactionary to losing the first two games, but really these games are meaningless in the grand scheme of things. Good for blooding young players is about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

I'm not sure I see much improvement week on week. Jack Brown is still giving away frees..he tried to rise the ball between his knees (kid you not) whilst on the ground. Free and point to Wexford. Conlon was fairly good doesn't pass of course but scored a few good points. Crotty was a revelation when he came on. A very positive kid..brave doesn't shirk a challenge. Meehan was good again ..missed a sitter after scoring a good goal. He's usually very accurate. Half backs were OK ish. Ryan was good ,takes on too many shots. David Fitz is not at the races...his handpasses are invariably too high or too low.. He loses concentration alot. Duggan would make a big difference if he's on form.

Wexford were impressive. Strong down the middle. Much more at ease woth their new gameplan. As a Clare person I'm not overly concerned ....yet. Realistically we ll be very lucky to get out of Munster. Relying on 18 year olds to turn games at home...its not good.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

Advertisement