Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New driver insurance?

Options
  • 12-02-2022 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi everyone I have my driving test coming up and I’m currently looking at buying an Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.4 petrol year (2010 and up) for my first car.

Does anyone know what the insurance would be like for a 21 year old with a car like this? I’ve also been told being a girl will go against me as we are apparently awful drivers lol.

I won’t be buying the car until I have a full license btw. Any estimates on insurance appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,955 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

In fairness they will use any excuse to make it as expensive as they can.

You're only option is to shop around to different insurers with different cars and engines to see what is cheapest.

Then do that every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,244 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Any quote less than 2 grand bite the hand off them, initial outlay will be high and then it will reduce year on year with no claims accumulating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

In fairness, young drivers do have a very high level of claims.

And if you think it's expensive now, I paid almost £2,000 back in 1986.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Try Boxymo or AIG with their box.

Driving is monitored, and you pay according to estimated milage, but tbh, if you're a decent careful driver, there should be no reason to be wary of it.

€1400 approx new driver, age 17. Fully comp. 1.6 petrol. Both male & female quotes in this house.

Make or female shouldn't make a difference.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Mods might be an idea to move this to the insurance forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭agoodusername

Axa always offered myself and my sister the best deals when we were around your age on a 1.6d with parents as named drivers.

My dad was paranoid that with boxymo or the other ones with trackers, that our plans would be cancelled pretty quickly for mild speeding (I've no idea how true this is?)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭billyhead

Boxymo are grand and won't cancel the insurance unless the driver takes the piss and is constantly breaking speed limits.

Advertisement