Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

Who is paying you for your disinformation campaigns?Prigozhin?Master Xi?

Ah yes you couldnt help it,could you,what is a day without blaming Uncle sam.

What unites us is the love for freedom, the love for democracy, and the love to help people,” Bazanji told Coffee or Die Magazine. “We’re not getting paid here, we’re not asking the Ukrainian government for anything, we’re just here to help these guys get a better future. This is what unites us, to see people live happy and free

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭reforger

The former Eastern bloc states that joined Nato were eager to do so. They well remember the peace of the prison yard that was imposed on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

It says it all about the state that Ukraine is in when they cannot depend on or trust their regular army,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

There will always be those who disagree with rational arguments put forward. Keep in mind that there were people who argued that Germany had the right to occupy Czechoslovakia in 1938 and to invade Poland in 1939. Contrarians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The same Ukrainian army who's held off the Russians for the past 8 years 🤣😂🤣🤣😂😂🤣

Why did the Russians need serbs in Crimea

Have look at the date on this article ,this was during the maiden protests in kiev

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭firemansam4

I must be on your second category then "badly misinformed" I really had no idea about these advanced plans for NATO to set up in Ukraine and for military bases in Crimea.

I apologise as I really must have not been following the topic as well as you have.

Maybe you could educate me to some good credible sources that show me about these advanced NATO plans that were earmarked for Ukraine?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

It's genuinely hard to tell with many people on these forums.

I'm really not sure what people think they're actually achieving, by trying to paint this conflict in such ridiculously over simplistic terms?

Like, do you really think anyone who is in serious negotiations with Putin to de-escalate this whole situation, will be approaching it in such a stupid manner? If they did, I'm sure there would zero chance of any deal being brokered.

I guess it's okay for faceless nobodies on the interweb, to live in their own little fantasy world. But it's still quite ridiculous to read some of it tbh.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Can you provide any evidence that Crimea was earmarked for a 'NATO Installation'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,433 ✭✭✭jmreire

So Afghans want Sharia Law Harry? They always had Sharia Law..long long before the arrival of the Taliban. And you didn't know that Harry? That was one thing about the Taliban that always puzzled Afghans... " Why are the Taliban preaching Islam to us? We have always been a Muslim Country" ( thats not strictly true either, as the Bamyan Statue's prove ,) The Russians lasted 10 years in Afghanistan, and when they left, there were big celebrations. The US lasted 20 years, and left by their own choice, after having as I said earlier spent Billions on the Country. Are they being missed? You bet they are. And when the US kicked out the Taliban, I remember the roads leading to Kandahar being littered with Taliban 4x4's, and for sure Afghans paid back many old scores against the Talibs, for the atrocities they had committed.

So the polls show that 3 out of 10 Afghans approve attacks on US forces, and half Afghans support armed opposition groups, and 15% support the Taliban. None of these polls show 100% support for the Taliban. But anyway, now that all these Taliban fans you think exist, have had their wish granted, we will see ( and are seeing already,) how it goes for ordinary Afghans.....so far not looking good. Extra judicial killings, women again suffering under severe restrictions, and if that was not enough, a major famine developing. And Harry, from personal experience ( I know, I know. With you, personal experience does not count) if you saw up close and personal what rule is like under Taliban Sharia law, you might have a different opinion too. A quick visit to the local sport field on a Friday after Prayers can be a mind altering experience, as justice Taliban style is administered.

I'm not saying that my personal experience is the final and definite be all and end all of knowledge on a particular subject Harry, but for sure Living in a Country does give one an advantage over some one who has never even visited it, and whose views are dependent on news articles and polls,,,even years old polls.

Your quote Harry re the US " The United States never understood Afghanistan. American planners thought they knew what the country needed, which was not quite the same as what its people wanted. American policy was guided by fantasies; chief among them was the idea that the Taliban could be eliminated and that an entire culture could be transformed in the process."

Yes Harry, again good ol US of A...they got it all wrong. All of it, did they really Harry? That was not my experience while there.

@Shao Kahn these forums.

I'm really not sure what people think they're actually achieving, by trying to paint this conflict in such ridiculously over simplistic terms.

Is that your way of saying I made it up?

It doesn't matter what you or I think, on some internet forum. (or indeed even what we can prove)

What matters is what leaders like Putin think. And based on both his public statements and actions, he clearly sees Ukraine as a buffer zone against further NATO encroachment.

You are welcome to disagree with him on that. You can even completely dismiss his concerns as unfounded and irrational if you wish. But anyone dealing with him, hoping to broker a deal, simply does not have that same luxury.

Based on what I've read and listened to from many different people, I personally think his fears are justified. Whether his planned actions to counter it, are the correct ones, that remains to be seen. Nobody knows his precise plans.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

Can you or I prove 99.99% of the stuff that went down during the cold war, with double agents and covert sophisticated spying operations?

No...? Hmmm

Oh, well I guess none of that stuff happened then, right? Must have all just been made up! lol

I personally think there's some truth in Putin's belief that NATO had plans for Ukraine. Am I saying I'm 110% certain on that one? No, of course not. But that's the opinion I hold.

If you want to believe that Ukraine is some super over simplistic dispute over territory, and that's your angle on the whole thing, knock yourself out... you're welcome to hold that opinion.

But that's all it is, an opinion at the end of the day. Anyone on here could be completely wrong on how they're viewing this thing.

Yes, I know people like to play the all seeing eye game. I don't play that game, I don't pretend to be flawless. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Ok so I thought I was badly misinformed, now im a faceless nobody who lives in a fantasy world.

Ok then, I just stated my opinion on Russia being wrong to invade Ukraine if they go ahead with that action, you then informed me of several details of how NATO was in advance planning in setting up bases in Ukraine and Crimea. I only asked that you enlighten me with some credible information to show this?

Maybe I am wrong, i'm no expert on NATO or Ukraine. So I ask you again, have you any credible evidence or links to your claims?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

That's a lot of SU25 & Frogfoots in Luninets for a holiday

All Eyes On Rafah

You made a statement that Crimea was earmarked as a NATO installation as if it was fact. You were asked to provide evidence and instead of providing some you have posted a load of dribble. I don't see the sense in engaging with you any further.

There was a large flight of helicopter gunships arrived in the area too on Saturday

You're clearly just another one of these lazy debaters.

You see an opinion you don't like, so you shout "prove it"... despite the fact that even world renowned experts are struggling to give accurate predictions of what is going to happen here and indeed exactly why it's happening.

The amount of people, who try to approach these discussions like they're infallible and know everything... and then get pi$$ed when you refuse to play along with their silly little game. It's comical stuff. 😂

I don't care about being proven right all the time. So these boring games some of you guys like to engage in are of zero interest to me. I read opinions, I give my opinions. That's it for me. I'll leave you to your games!

• Advertisement

@Shao Kahn You're clearly just another one of these lazy debaters.

You see an opinion you don't like, so you shout "prove it"... despite the fact that even world renowned experts are struggling to give accurate predictions of what is going to happen here .

You came here and made up a claim which you made up ,that's not debating that's being stupid ,

World renowned experts didn't claim Major NATO Installations being planned for Ukraine.

Just you .

You're actually the perfect example of the type of poster I'm referring to around here.

You act like you know everything and are infallible. You're not here to have a discussion, you're here to prove how right you are. It's a game, where you try to "win" the discussion. And yet all you're doing is expressing opinions - there's nothing infallible or perfect about your opinions. They could be correct or incorrect, just like anyone else.

Like I said, even military experts are only giving educated guesses on much of this crisis. They could very easily be wrong, but their opinions are still worthy of being aired.

(The funny thing is, those are the guys more likely to admit they're not infallible - despite having more knowledge and experience than someone like yourself)

I'm not playing into your games here. I don't have to conclusively prove every opinion I hold, not unless I'm claiming with 100% certainty that I am correct in my assertion. Which I haven't done. They're just opinions.

You guys can pretend you're 100% correct and infallible (in your own heads) if you want to. I'm not playing.

@Shao Kahn You're actually the perfect example of the type of poster I'm referring to around here.

You act like you know everything and are infallible.

No,

just no

Must be these militaristic types talking

• Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

You really have to have a well developed sense of irony and the ridiculous to post this.

You might not be as comfortable with Putin-ology + Russia-splaining and also insulting elected leaders of Western countries as "limp wristed" in comparison to the autocratic Great Men of Action like Putin or Xi if putting your name to those opinions!

As for negotiations and deal making, seems like Russia has just laid out a fairly big set of demands (or at least that is what we hear in public). Setting aside rights and wrongs, Russia is not the Soviet Union and they don't appear to have the power to dictate all these terms to the US, let alone to all the other NATO members and EU members into the bargain.

It does seem quite simple as a faceless nobody watching. Ukraine is not in NATO, no one is going to do anything directly militarily if Russia attacks it again (for obvious reasons), so seems to me that all that remains is for Western countries to try & persuade Putin that invading Ukraine (more than he has already) will have a (very) high cost in other ways + will not be worth it, and see what decision he makes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cork2021

A reporter with some Ukrainian military contacts here.

false flag situation can’t happen! It’ll only give Russia a reason to move!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

We have international law to sort these opinions out. Such as the right of a sovereign nation that has recognized international borders to protect it's borders from incursion. The opinions on why things happen or the agendas of certain parties are just conjecture with no real value.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

The age profile on Boards is older and likely therefore more politically aware. On both sides of the argument.

• Advertisement

Imagine as is pondered an air strike against Kyiv ,a city 3 times the size of Dublin

For what reason ?

It would be evil incarnate

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement