Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Newest addition to the Women's roster.

Would have loved to have seen Rok-C signed for the womens division. I saw a picture on twitter of her in the crowd at NXT Tuesday so she must be signing for WWE.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,682 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

For the cards thing during the ads to be good, I think it's gotta be someone with a really strong personality, where you could practically hear their voice as you read (which is just not Sammy at all)... I could see 2.0 doing something interesting with it for instance. Eddie Kingston would be great too - I could see him starting with "this seems to be the only way a guy can say somethin' without gettin' interrupted..." and then just talking **** about people that piss him off. With guys like him, Garcia, 2.0, Starks, Ethan Page, Britt Baker, Jade (with Mark turning the cards, Jade just standing there looking superior) etc, you could use it to set up feuds even. And who has the right to do it could even become a thing people fight for, if it was played right.

It's potentially a good concept for picture-in-picture ad slots, but it just needs to be not-Sammy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Yes absolutely this. Sammy going through five or six cards to tell you that he managed to defend the title in whatever his latest match was/will defend against whoever is up next is not adding anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,598 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Another great hour of Rampage.

I love tag team wrestling.

The Ass Boys are a great midcard tag team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Ass Boys need to embrace the Ass Boys gimmick. They'll be stupidly over if they do that. Change their team song to that one Danhausen came out with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

Hook is MVP of Rampage.

Fite TV should introduce an option where you can mute Jericho on commentary. My ears would feel better for it. Not everything has to be shouted.

He's a man who just absolutely adores the sound of his own voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Well Jericho is a front man, of course he's gonna like the sound of his voice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭rodders999

Fite going from €5.49 a month to €7.49 is pwopa nawty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

The robbing bar stewards, that 50 cents a week feeds my family.

All joking aside it's well worth it for the three hours a week of generally great entertainment that you can watch any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭ThePott

The annual subscription was the better deal but think you could only get it up to the end of January.

Same perks and works at only a tenner more expensive than it was. Worth it alright though.

The only better deal would be if AEW started going up on HBO Max.

Hook has competition

AEW have signed Nick Wayne a 16 year old who wrestled The Fallen Angel for the Defy World Title last night.

Check out some of his matches on Youtube for a 16 year old he is amazing.

I think he's got a match with Janela on YouTube. He's also facing Ospreay and Swerve soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,169 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Acclaimed are fantastic. By far the most entertaining tag team around.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭rodders999

Absolutely, consistently 3 hours of great wrestling every week.

My biggest gripe with the Fite app on my tv is that it never remembers where I stopped watching in an episode and brings me back to the beginning when I try to resume. A massive pain in the hole.

Tony Khan really does a good job letting his talent work the indies as well so when he is rotating the tv time they can work and make money elsewhere making them real independent contractors.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Y’know that the fact that Tony is “letting them” means they’re not real independent contractors right? If they were then he couldn’t stop them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Is Tony giving talent any other benefits such as health?

A Jobber on Dark

Skyler on his time in AEW:

“I did two or three matches. This was the third match. It was against Dark Order’s Stu Grayson and Evil Uno,” he said. “It’s always the weirdest things that guys get hurt on.”

“Up until that point, I wrestled for 12 years. I had over 1,200 matches. I’ve never had a serious injury. I blew out my knee doing a Ricky Morton forward roll underneath a clothesline. The bottom of my foot caught Uno in the quad, and it caused my knee to shoot out. It’s the damnedest thing trying to explain it,” John recounted.

“I tore my ACL, my MCL, and my PCL. It’s the same day that (Kris) Statlander blew out her knee, so we went and got our MRIs together at the same time. We got the news the next day. They projected that I was going to be out 8-9 months and she was going to be out for close to a year.”

“I got my surgery done in South Carolina and I was back in 7 months. I have to credit everybody at AEW, Tony, and all the EVPs because not having a contact there, they could have sat me at home and said take care of it yourself and figure out what you’re going to do, but they brought me back every week to pay me. They also allowed me to do physical therapy with their medical team there at AEW. They did that for a full 7 months during a pandemic when they didn’t really have to. I’ll always be thankful for that. It was quite an experience, that 7 or 8 months that I did at AEW.”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭savemejebus

I think the important folk get health insurance and if you are injured while working for them you will be looked after but apart from the chosen few there are no non injury related benefits.

I'd imagine any talent injuried while working for AEW as shown by Skyler above even those on per date contract will be looked after.

A good guess if talent are working for another promotion that is not to do with an AEW deal with that promotion then the talent would have to have their own medical insurance or have that indy promotion cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭ThePott

I remember when it started off there was talk of unions and all the usual stuff but it went pretty quiet once they actually launched proper. From what I remember just the EVPs have health benefits and such.

With AEW, it's more that AEW has first choice of dates and can block for business reasons (they're not going to give away matches they'd like to do or have their stars lose)

Thunder Rosa is awesome!

She called out a fan who was throwing abuse at Ember Moon.

It's gotta be a hugely expensive part of the business for anyone that doesn't have a nailed down health insurance policy. Like, you can't not have insurance yourself and just hope that anything serious that happens, happened with a decent promotion. Even just getting hurt in a car accident would completely kill your finances forever, let along getting cancer or something. So I imagine all these men and women without official policies through the company have to go get their own - and I'd imagine as soon as you write down 'professional wrestler', your premium is gonna skyrocket.

I wonder if they do some sort of collective bargaining or something, where the company could get a good deal from a provider that the lower-cards and jobbers can sign up to and pay for themselves.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

The few that are lucky enough to get SAG/AFTRA membership can get health coverage through that, but I'm not sure how much it covers. No union means no significant ability to muster together some collective bargaining so who knows what the specifics are, but I suspect there are some niche providers that offer something - the insurance industry is crafty and doesn't like to leave any market untapped :D

This is one of those things about USA workers laws that seems so disappointing to me - you'd think that if you got hurt on any job, especially a high risk one, your employer would look after you as a given? But that's a much bigger and different discussion and not specific to wrestling.

• Advertisement

I've been critical of Cody in the past but he actually grew on me a bit in the last couple of months.

Absolutely delighted that Brandi is leaving though.

Advertisement