Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Harryd225

I don't really see how that's true, you're going on as if it's a load of teenagers on the journal, I'm not subscribed to it myself but I read the articles sometimes, there's a far higher amount of people in/reading the comments section compared to the amount of people on this thread, so the far higher percentage of people on there would probably be a better way to gauge public opinion in Ireland than this thread at least.

I don't necessarily agree that being older makes you more politically aware either, older people were far more likely to vote for Brexit which in my opinion was a very stupid idea.

I don't see how simply agreeing with the narrative of the BBC and Fox news and the other media outlets somehow means you are more politically aware, Britain and the USA give off a far different narrative to the rest of the world (even Ukraine) on this subject, it's far more Hollywood on British and American media compared to elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Putin has won this round, the "West" lost once their embassies pulled out of Kiev they are not shedding bodies for Ukraine. We may be in for "interesting times" should they decide to kick Russia off the international SWIFT payment system. This would be a spectacular own goal so it's ruled out for now, as a side issue the Vatican nearly got kicked off SWIFT back in 2013. The Swiss banks also came under pressure at the same time (FATCA), they told their American customers to get lost. Kicking Russia off SWIFT would see an incredible rise in commodities and expand the shortages currently affecting production worldwide. Car production is dependent upon platinum, anyone who has had their catalytic converter cut will tell you all about it. Energy prices would rise sharply in Europe, and I really do not see how Germany can afford to turn off the gas from Russia. This is one giant mess and all Putin has to do is keep his enemies guessing while watching us in the West collapse internally post Covid.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Putin has won this round, the "West" lost once their embassies pulled out of Kiev they are not shedding bodies for Ukraine

What did Putin win ,

He's gained absolutely nothing and solidified the EU and NATO ,

He only has one shot , surround and invade ukraine or scurry back to the Kremlin ,if he doesn't invade he's lost edge ,and face

What planet are you living on? If Russia doesn't invade Ukraine they have lost face? Russia has always said it had no intention of invading Ukraine, if anything they will lose face if they actually do invade Ukraine not the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Oh yes the Journal comments should also give a better indication of what message the bots/trolls/bad actors that infect and have successfully poisoned all online public fora/social media in Western democracies are pushing on us today. Don't read or comment, but afaik the Journal is more important in Ireland, it is a media outlet, it is more popular, so one would expect a bigger & better effort to post Russia-positive messaging into open anon. comment sections than here & also more interest in it from oddballs and nuts/contrarians because it is a bigger stage for them to cavort on. The bigger the forum and the more eyeballs, the more effort is put in to push propaganda and nonsense at this stage. Don't think public opinion can truly be gauged whatsoever from anonymous online comment forums (or ever could be). Far too much noise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

To be fair if Putin is to invade it must be soon as the Ukrainian military will be laying more mines, making more defensive positions, training more soldiers, getting arms and munitions from America etc. The longer he waits if he is to invade the more stronger Ukraine will be and more it will cost him in both men and armaments etc. Time is more on the Ukrainian side in that regards. So I can't see him waiting if he is to do it for a few wks. If he is you would reckon it would have to be in the next few days. I know if you were the Ukrainian military you would want it not to happen but if it does longer the wait so they can get their defensive capabilities more improved, so I would reckon if nothing happens in the next wk or so more then likely an invasion won't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

The Oligarchs leaving?

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭MFPM

So what's NATO'S next move, Putin isn't going to invade so will NATO engineer something blame Russia to justify a response, we know the US are good at this stuff....or will they just continue a process of destabilisation, sanctions, mess with gas projects...drag it out..Biden needs something such as been his bellicose language and the fact his first year has been a disaster and his poll numbers are in the mud and let's not even mention Harris...

So you believe all the comments and likes on the journal are attempts to spread Russian propaganda? What Russian propaganda are you referring to exactly? Could you please elaborate.

More than likely its the Kremlin trying to make it look like they are fleeing with the crown jewels

• Advertisement

Not that I'd believe a word out of the Putin admin, but those ongoing Belarus-Russia war games/drills are due to end Feb 20 and Russia says it is going to withdraw its equipment on that date. Something to look out for if it hasn't kicked off before then.

Ukraine submitted a request under the osce Vienna protocol , requesting information on the unusual Russian military activity on their borders,

Under agreements military exercises have to be declared in advance and with a start and end date when forces will be returned to bases ,

So far putin has ignored the request which the Russians are required to answer with the details in 48 hours which has already passed

No I don't believe that. If it is like other places on the internet I would believe there's likely enough of it, or enough plain nonsense being posted for whatever reason that trying to correctly divine the Irish public opinion from it as you claimed to be able to do in your post is impossible.

I also said I don't read or comment on that site, so I don't have any specific examples of such messaging for you, sorry. I suppose they'd be the usual Russian/Putin narrative & blame assignment for Ukraine-Russia tensions which has been laid out by many posters in this thread in detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

You're putting words in my mouth.

I never said anything about Putin being great.

I think he does have some leadership qualities that are severely lacking in many western nations, but he's far from a perfect leader. He's doing a pretty good job with taking on US/NATO aggression, but it remains to be seen how this all plays out.

I don't think he's buying the sanctions bluff one bit. There's very little they can do to hurt Russia in the pocket, without shooting themselves in the foot too. And Putin knows this. Militarily it's even more complicated.

It's not about what decision Putin makes at this point, it's about what decision the west makes. Russia will twist their nipple, until it turns purple. Europe has already shown it's hand to some degree, they cannot afford this to go on for years with no resolution. Russia can, and the last sanctions caused as much harm to the EU as they did Russia.

I think Putin may be trying to play the EU off against America here, as the threats over the gas pipeline in particular are seen as a reckless idea that potentially ruins European / US diplomatic and economic relations. Not to mention the disastrous effects on European energy.

Powerful nations have drawn those lines, largely to suit themselves throughout history though.

And the laws too.

It's very easy to play within the rules of the game, when you invented the game and set the rules. NATO is an excellent example of this. An organisation set up principally to oppose the soviet union, but if you oppose NATO "Sorry, you're breaking our rules". lol

Why not disband NATO, and stop treating the modern Russian federation as if they were no different to stalin's soviet union and pointing all your missiles at their borders? It's naked aggression, and there should be no real surprise that Russia would be inclined to respond in a reciprocal manner.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,646 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The Olympics also finishes on the 20th, not sure if Putin is planning to be there for the closing ceremony

Did I say anything like that at all? All I said was that you would gauge public opinion more from the journal than you would this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,891 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Again, all this seems a very smart move when you look at it from a Putin perspective. He has foreign world leaders lining up to meet him and speak to him. He claims all talk of war is hysteria by the West, which he can prove by obviously not following through with an attack. If he creates enough tension, escalates enough, rattles markets, some countries may even consider the unthinkable, refuse the option of NATO membership for Ukraine, even privately, just to avoid all this..

Obviously the military build-up is very serious, new units arriving in Crimea, SE Ukraine, etc - but it's a tap that Putin can turn off at any time of his choosing. He can even escalate further, bring in medical field hospitals and the final pieces of genuine invasion preparations, allow enemy comms to pick up more invasion plans, in order to really bring it to the brink. He's not losing anything from this brinksmanship, so far he's only gaining. Any normal leader would be in hot water domestically, this just makes him stronger.

Wondering how the Putinbots will spin it if Russia really were to invade. My guess is blaming the West for building it up so much that it left poor Moscow with no choice but to follow through. Am open to suggestions ;)

@Shao Kahn Why not disband NATO, and stop treating the modern Russian federation as if they were no different to stalin's soviet union and pointing all your missiles at their borders? It's naked aggression, and there should be no real surprise that Russia would be inclined to respond in a reciprocal manner.

Remind us whos borders and Cities are Russian missiles pointed at ,

You can try blame NATO all you like ,it's nothing but your usual anti US bullshit , another poster has multiple threads blaming the British for his Lifes problems.

It's all everyone's else's fault 🤣🤣 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

NATO is a legacy of the cold war, it has been downgraded for years, the military industrial complex will be quite happy with cold war 2.0 as long as the stalemate continues they expand their budgets and jobs, fighting brown people in the desert is fine, fighting someone who can land actual punches, nope.

The only thing that will take Putin out is old age or loss of confidence from the oligarchs, if you study the history of Breznev and Andropov final years, the Russian ruling class likes to keep their front man in place till the end while they continue their schemes.

Meanwhile the German government has appointed American Jennifer Morgan from Greenpeace as their "climate envoy". Morgan was the key driver behind the Thunberg campaign in 2019, even writing some of her speeches.

Baerbock’s plans for an ambitious Klimaaußenpolitik, or climate foreign policy, are part of the new German government’s broader efforts to turn emissions reduction into a cross-departmental affair. Under previous coalitions, green politics languished mostly in the smaller environment ministry. 

“The minister has made it clear that the federal government no longer views climate politics in isolation, as a technical policy issue,” said Morgan, who has lived in Berlin since 2003.

That also requires a broader shift within the foreign ministry and Germany’s embassies, Baerbock told reporters. 

“There will not just be one climate ambassador — we will turn all 226 German foreign missions into climate embassies in all countries in the world,” said Baerbock, adding: “In the 21st century, climate politics is also geopolitics. That’s why it belongs in the foreign office.”

The intention is that Morgan becomes state secretary in the German federal foreign office. She has ZERO experience in military or geopolitical affairs. She has been the head of Greenpeace since 2016. She will prepare the annual world climate conferences. Her only focus will be to restrict fossil fuel consumption in Europe. Nope Mr. Putin has nothing to fear from NATO.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

A Putin propagandist claims that the majority of the Irish people would side not with a young democracy which has freed itself from the jackboot of an imperial tyranny which inflicted centuries of terror, including famine, on it - but with the imperial tyranny.

That's exactly the sort of transparent, performative, paid lie you'd expect somebody at a keyboard in an office in St. Petersburg to write in order to pad out their daily output quota.

I wonder how the BidenBots will spin it if Europe tells America to pi$$ off and stop messing up their economies with more brain dead sanctions that do nothing to solve anything? lol

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

I'm not too bothered about this subject personally, I just find it hilarious anyone who disagrees with the narrative being promoted by the UK and USA is immediately labelled a Putinbot who is trying to spread Russian propaganda.

Nevermind how the situation is being portrayed in Ukraine and around the world, even close allies of the USA like Germany take a much more realistic less Hollywood view on the unfolding events.

In fairness you didn't. I don't think you can tell Irish public opinion from either, especially on this kind of issue so disagree completely with your idea of reading anonymous online comments to gauge it. The Journal might be more popular than here, but that should also mean there is more noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheTruth89

Because they are Putin bots if you believe in anyway shape or form that Russia is right in this instance.

It's literally lying to say that Russia is in the right and it's clearly a Putin bot because any normal unbiased person can see what's going on.

They are sat with 150k plus troops and equipment in a threatening fashion to either invade or bully them.

This is a undeniable fact that the Putin bots cannot defeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭jolivmmx

Why do multiple accounts have the Mulder icon now?

Some people get awfully confused around here, about the difference between an opinion and a fact. 😂

There's more than a touch of arrogance about it too, in the sense that some seem to want their opinions to be given greater reverence than other's opinions.

I blame the whole likes-whoring phenomenon with online discussions. Many people now form their opinions, based almost exclusively on what they think will make them more popular. This is a truly awful way to form opinions, and actually creates a hive mind type mentality.

It's much easier to form opinions, if you simply don't give 2 fcuks what anyone thinks about you. Needing to be popular is a curse when it comes to thinking in a free and unencumbered manner. (imho anyway)

Okay. Just to be clear, if Russia were to invade the Ukraine, you think the rest of the world shouldn't react? No sanctions?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Would the US ever piss off? Biden is such a warhawk. "Russia may create pre text to Ukraine invasion".

I guess that means that they think Russia might attack themselves to start the invasion.

But if that's true, what's stopping the US from attacking Russia when they've said this now?

How many people here trust the US? Because I don't. The US and Russia are as bad as each other. You might think they're not, but we're fed US propaganda.

I saw some yanks on reddit saying "I wonder what Russian soldiers think about fighting a war just because one man wants it" and another replied "lies and propaganda"......yet these people never questioned what their countrymen must have been thinking when the US sent them to needless wars in Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, Libya etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

True.

You doing anything later? I'm tired of fooling around with like whores.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement