Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kurt Zouma thinks it's funny to use a cat as a football

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Sky won't be happy with Souness going off script today in the studio ......they were edging towards the players 'mental health' schtick, Souness fking hammered him 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

2021 we shipped 0 calves to Libya

More misinformation

Go again

Why are people so annoyed about the cruelty of the dairy industry being pointed out and saying stuff like you can't come in here and call people hypocritical for ranting about Zouma while supporting the dairy industry?

Well, yes you can. Because it is hypocritical. And people saying, well it's not the same comparing what Zouma did to what goes on in the dairy industry. Yes, it's not the same. What's done in the dairy industry is far more cruel but with that it's like people putting their fingers in their ears going la la la la, I'll just ignore that reality because it doesn't fit with my comfortable reality that I live in. As long as I don't see the cruelty I'll just continue to pretend it isn't there or simply ignore and continue to support the dairy industry but I won't let that get in the way of me ranting on the internet like I'm some animal cruelty activist when someone kicks a cat.

It's the usual hollow bullsh!t you see nowadays. Find a cause that's trendy and join in the outrage. Dare not address the bigger more uncomfortable problems though.

I say all this as a meat and dairy consumer. I just find it hilarious and such a nonsense how there's people getting defensive when this reality is pointed out to them. It's like, hey, don't interfere with me up on my high horse judging Zouma as the bastard he is and stop pointing out uncomfortable realities to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭Damien360

Kick a cow and see how long you last in that field.

That’s some stretch of the imagination to go from a domestic cat to pointing the finger at the entire dairy industry.

have you announced your conversion to veganism yet ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Thanks for the twitter link.

Last year we sent 0 calves to Libya

Anyhow. I'll remain "civil" and let you do what you do. Got to keep the mod happy.

Enough time wasted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

As you can see the vast majority exported are calves. Ok none of them went to Libya in 2021 if you say so. But you think mass exporting of calves abroad on boats is ok? But yes Irish farming is 100% cruelty free.

Oh cool. A pointless reply. Well that was unexpected. 🤭

I already said I eat meat and dairy so I support those cruel industries but I'm also not on this thread acting the animal rights activist with regard to a cat being kicked.

You're missing my point. My point is people being appalled by this but getting defensive about the realities of dairy farming being pointed out to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

How did that thread go from someone abusing their pet in front of their child and recording it to this vegan crap?

Serious question - where is the connection?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,841 ✭✭✭✭cormie

There's some conflicting information. This page states 0 in 2021:

https://www.bordbia.ie/farmers-growers/prices-markets/cattle-trade-prices/live-cattle-exports/

This page states 6,467:

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/2021-cattle-exports-by-type-and-destination/

But in 2022 there has already been 3,516 sent to Libya according to the same Bord Bia page above. Anyway, this is all besides the point. No matter where they are sent, no matter their age, they are all being exploited and most of them are probably dead by now, killed against their will, not wanting to die.

What's the correlation between the 2? saying 'all' farmed animals are mistreated is like saying 'all' pets are mistreated, there is no evidence to say either is true ......a high profile figure was brought to the public attention doing a wrong and people comment, what is wrong with that?

Joe from Tallaght might have kicked his dog around the living room, we'll never know .........Tommy the pig farmer might be particularly nasty to his pigs, we'll never know

You talk about trendy causes, some are trying to make one out of another that is totally unrelated

@There is a light

"Why are people so annoyed about the cruelty of the dairy industry being pointed out and saying stuff like you can't come in here and call people hypocritical for ranting about Zouma while supporting the dairy industry?"

Because none of that has anything to do with Zouma kicking a cat for laughs and filming it! Whether he deliberatly kicked a cat or a cow or a camel he'd still be in the news for sadistic cruelty. So no it's nothing to do with supporting any industry no matter how you or anyone else tries to claim it is. And how the frack does anyone know what poster eats or doesn't eat? Making attacks like that is rubbish

It's against the law to kick a cat in the UK, here and many other places, just as it's against the law to kick any other domestic animal whether that's a cat or any other animal. Does it happen? Apparently so. They're a small number of people like that in all walks of life

I didn't see anyone mention vegan diets did you? People are calling out the hypocrisy of how animals are treated in Ireland, the ones on your plate, and the fact that people are up in arms over someone kicking a cat. Can you not see why people might point out that contradiction?

If you agree it's wrong to cause harm, when harm isn't necessary, then you agree with the philosophy of veganism. Most people agree that it's wrong to cause harm where harm isn't necessary, but don't choose to live their life with consistency in accordance to these principles. This thread is a perfect example of that and hence how the discussion has evolved to extend beyond the experience of an animal who is viewed differently in our society, to the animals who are exploited unnecessarily in our society.

ALL the millions of pigs in Ireland bar a few farms never see the light of day and live in horrible cramped conditions. There is plenty of evidence out there for this.

Attacks. 😆

Just because the dairy industry is legal doesn't mean that what they practice in it isn't cruel.

I've already linked to an article of the cruelty involved but carry on with your narrow reality where kicking cats is sadistic and the treatment of cows in the dairy industry is sound.

So no one mentioned diets but its about what people have on their plates and animals. Right got that.

Of course people "are up in arms over someone kicking a cat" for laughs and filming it especially where that person is a public figure. I believe the main topic under discussion was whether the response to what he did was proportionate before the whole truck was steered off the rails.

• Advertisement

I was specifically talking about the dairy industry and yes the treatment of cows in the dairy industry is cruel.

Maybe read the article I linked that explains the cruelty involved although I doubt it'll make any difference to your way of "thinking".

He said veganism, not general diets. Did I once mention that people shouldn't eat meat?

No you said that. You also said that no one mentioned diets but then went on to say it was about what people have on their plates and animals.

Its quite clear tbf

Post edited by Mecanudo on

Just because you managed to pick out a zero figure, doesn't zero all the other lives sent to all the other countries (including Libya and including this year). It's disingenuous to refer to comment as misinformation when the comment was totally valid and try portray your own figure as standard when it's anything but.

You've also failed to respond to any of the previous questions posed to you and failed to give any evidence supporting your claim that what I've posted is spoof or bizarre.

I understand it must be difficult to accept that the very industry that affords your own manner of making a living, which you may have been born into and see yourself as having no other option other than continuing with, is one built off of exploitation of sentient beings who want to live lives free of exploitation and harm, just as any of us do. Here's hoping the government can put plans in place to assist anyone wanting to step away from exploiting animals and make better use of their land with relevant and helpful subsidies and resources.

I wrote vegan crap, not vegan diet ;)

Don't put words in my mouth, please.

Hypocrisy of it all is that when you buy your vegetables from Spain or Italy or elsewhere really they are very likely at some point been a product of human exploitation including illegal immigrants being paid silly money and living in conditions worse than some of the animals in Ireland. Watch the documentary from German TV on Spanish tomato greenhouses etc.

If a person kicks a cat in their house for fun there is something terribly wrong with them. You can only imagine what they could do to the farming animal.

People working on farms and factories are doing their jobs that are socially acceptable these days. Like it or not.

Someone kicking a cat for fun is a completely different story. Don't compare us to him.

Fair enough, but under what agenda is highlighting this under a topic about a fairly well known individual (in sporting circles) kicking his cat around a kitchen

• Advertisement

Same response again.....Fair enough, but under what agenda is highlighting this under a topic about a fairly well known individual (in sporting circles) kicking his cat around a kitchen

and what is my way of thinking? **** me you actually take this all personal?

The point I was making was about the hypocrisy of people up in arms about this but ignoring other animal cruelty.

It's a fairly simple point to comprehend and shouldn't require further explanation.

Now I've made my point which I stand by and I have neither the desire nor inclination to explain it again and again to people who can't seem to grasp that very simple point.

But who is ignoring it ? and what has it to do with the topic on hand .......by ignoring this then surely they are ignoring all animal abuse? domestic animals are abused on a daily basis worldwide so why highlight farmed animal abuse ....I see the agenda but I don't get why it's here why now

Not fussed on a response btw

Folks just to clarify, veganism is a philosophy built off the principle that it's wrong to cause harm where harm isn't necessary (which I'm sure probably most people here agree with), and choosing to live a lifestyle that reflects this principle by minimising the harm caused to others. It extends beyond non human animals too. It's not a diet but as the animal agriculture industry is one of such immense suffering and because what most people eat is so focused around animals with almost every meal, every day of our lives, and because eating is such an essential activity for us, veganism is often misconstrued to be just about diet. It goes far beyond diet.

Vegans would also aim to not buy from sources who are knowingly exploiting humans. Unfortunately it's not easy to tell what kind of working conditions people had to endure behind the plant foods we buy. There's websites like https://foodispower.org/ which can allow for more informed choices. When it comes to animal products however, when you buy these, you know for sure an animal was exploited/killed for that product so it's easy to choose not to support these. Also slaughterhouses are not only going to have all the same issues with exploitation, terrible pay and conditions, but they are also at a far higher risk of mental health issues and disease.

With regards to something being socially acceptable, slavery was once socially acceptable, so was the fact that women couldn't vote, as well as many other things from the past we now see as injustices. Just because something is legal or socially acceptable, doesn't mean it's morally so.

Sounds like you don't care a toss about the cat tbh.

The fact is, if zouma had kicked a cow or any other animal and filmed it he be in the exact same place. Animal cruelty in the UK Ireland is illegal. If you know of anyone being cruel to an animal, then report it.

I'm curious why not attack the pet industry or puppy and kitten farming? At least those topics would be within an ases roar of the discussion. And despite the constant whataboutery what Zouma did was sadistic and fcuk all to do with what people think other people should or shouldn't eat

• Advertisement

Animal cruelty laws are themselves hypocritical. Read the list I posted above and ask yourself would you like to experience any of it. All practices are completely legal both in Ireland and the UK. Again, legality does not equal morality.

Sure they are! But why only animal welfare laws? Or is the entire legal system you have a problem with?

Thankfully one person's take on morality doesn’t equal anything.

We're talking about laws surrounding the use of animals here. Welfare is basically a nice way to treat somebody while exploiting that somebody. Rights would allow that somebody to live free from exploitation.

You, along with most other people here, probably agree with the basic moral principle that it's wrong to cause harm where harm isn't necessary. As more people question how their actions align to their principles and change their actions accordingly, society will gradually progresses and evolve to reflect this. This has already begun and is gaining momentum with regards to animal rights, so it's far bigger than one person's take on morality :)

So you think what was done to Zouma's cat was sadistic but don't want to hear about cruelty to animals in the dairy industry.

You're fierce angry about that point being made. And all this nonsense about if Zouma kicked a cow.... I've no idea what point you're trying to make there. I've already pointed out cruelty in the dairy industry and you don't want to hear it. What's being done in dairy may be legal but doesn't make it any less cruel. It's selective outrage at animal cruelty is what you're displaying.

Also, I don't agree with or condone what Zouma did to his cat. I'm a cat and dog owner myself and they've the life of Reilly but I read this thread and seen a lot of people, yourself included, getting very defensive about anyone questioning their selective outrage at animal cruelty and gave my opinion which obviously has angered you even more and no matter what you think, if we're talking about cruelty to animals, the mass farming of animals, many in an inhumane way, to feed our demand, absolutely has a place in this discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭Damien360

As has been pointed out to you umpteen times, the kicking of a cat has zero connection with your argument about the dairy industry. You saw the word animal and decided this is an argument worth having about the dairy industry. You might has well have had a complaint about French cooking for all the relevance it has, who by the way have fabulous beef recipes.

@There is a light is not the one who first pointed out that it's hypocritical to be lambasting Zouma for unnecessarily harming a cat for whatever pleasure he derived from it, while paying for the unnecessary harm of other animals to take place, for sensory pleasure. It wasn't me either, but somebody pointed it out, and the conversation developed from there. If it wasn't of any relevance, I don't think the conversation would have developed further around it.

Lol. No one is 'fierce angry" is that actually a thing? 😅 The fact that Zouma's treatment of the cat was sadistic has already been well established. But maybe you don't really agree. And with that discussion, cruelty found in the pet industry would certainly be part of the discussion. Extremely odd that this ignored and instead there are some bizarrely directing their 'selective outage' as you call it, at farming and calling others 'hypocrites' or wtte

Eitherway if I want to find out about farming I'm certainly it won't be from the bizarre comments on agriculture in this thread. And yes I know how to use Google thanks. You apparently don't seem to understand the basic facts that animal cruelty is against the law and so is the kicking any animal. Throwing whatever version of whataboutery into the mix doesn't help the feigned outage.

I reckon most people have had enough of that.

"So you think what was done to Zouma's cat was sadistic but don't want to hear about cruelty to animals in the dairy industry."

Well I definitely don't want to hear it any more.

If I wanted to I would go to the thread about dairy industry.

Best regards.

You seem to be avoiding responding to my responses to your posts? What bizarre comments are there on agriculture? You and @AckwelFoley have both thrown a load of words and claims around but have failed to back them up with any sustenance.

I've a simple questions for you; do you agree it's wrong to cause harm where harm isn't necessary?

• Advertisement

Can you say both instances are wrong but not related .....it's like going into a topic on animal abuses in the agricultural and farming forum and saying you can be too upset about this when you've said nothing about Zouma beating up his cat.......it's a nonsense argument in the wrong place

It's not alike at all. A thread on animal abuse in agriculture will be focused on animals that are seen as commodities and of no value other than what can be yielded from them in terms of profit or products. Anyone against animal abuse to animals who are seen this way, will also be against abuse to animals who are seen as pets, part of the family, deserving of rights and everything else a cat is. They also won't be contributing to the abuse and exploitation of cats when they buy products to eat. Most people here are against harm to a cat and at the same time pay for harm to be caused to other animals, so there's a big disconnect there.

I'm only asking you to back up your claims and answer a simple question of whether you think it's wrong to cause harm where harm isn't necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭redlad12

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Mod note - if you can't post in a civil manner then don't post at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Kicking a cat is not necessary but harm is necessary when you kill an animal for food. And if your of the opinion that killing an animal for food is perfectly ok then that's an opinion your entitled to have.

You don't need to kill an animal for food, that's the point, there is an abundance of plant foods available to nourish our bodies so the killing itself is unnecessary in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭timmymagoo

there is a lot of hypocrisy here, you have people saying the cat kicker should be fired, cancelled even jailed and these same people are actually eating animals

if this cat kicker is to be jailed what then for all the meat worker factories who kill thousands of cattle per day by a bullet to the head.

I worry for society when there is more outrage over a kicked cat then the deaths of migrants including children crossing the English Channel

Maybe time to close the topic the lunatics are taking over the asylum.....

I'm off to talk about Rory Mcilroy in the F1 thread about Lewis Hamilton

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,965 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

That is a bit of a mad analogy - it is a bit of a logical fallacy

1) Kicking a cat for fun for no other reason than just to be funny is just stupid

2) Kicking a cat for fun for no other reason than just to be funny - and filming it is even more stupid

3) Kicking a cat for fun for no other reason than just to be funny, filming it and putting it on the internet - lacks awareness.

4) Being a high profile professional footballer - Kicking a cat for fun for no other reason than just to be funny, filming it and putting it on the internet - shows the individuals involved are not the brightest lamps on the street

5) Those working in meat factories are fulfilling a actual useful purpose a task making sure people have meat on the table

6) Those who eat meat are making use of animal protein so they can be healthy - it is not just done for the fun of it. There is a real purpose to it.

I don't believe Zouma should be fired etc. But I do find the level of hysteria alarming leading to odd posts such as the above - ie a logical fallacy. It just shows how odd the internet is. People put up all sorts on it. Then all sorts comment on it. And then some tie agendas to it while they are at it. All this is magnified if the person is high profile. My advice is to people in high profile professions get rid of your smartphone for a start.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Advertisement