Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kurt Zouma thinks it's funny to use a cat as a football

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

So those trying to encourage others to spread the compassion they have for a cat, to all animals, are lunatics? I guess the same way that being vegan is extreme, yet paying for the captivity and killing of animals while simultaneously claiming to love animals is perfectly normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭timmymagoo

i have worked in meat factories and at start of every morning many workers would make there way to start of the line to see the the first cow come in

the cows would smell the death , that’s true , they knew what was coming and they would piss and sh1t themselves in fear as they were pushed forward to receive a bang to the head

you can’t have it both ways, kick a cat go to jail, cut a cows cheeks and head meat off to make burgers that people smile and laugh while eating

surely you get my point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Saw my father in law kill sheep on his farm.

The first one didn't know what was going to happen. The rest of them did.

The look in their eyes was something else as they had their throat cut and they bled out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

If we were to all just eat rabbit food economy's around the world would collapse with so many people out of jobs, saying meat is not necessary is quite naive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Put an end to a billions of dollars of industry, the livelihood of millions of people .......not to mention the extinction of many species of animal who would really have no reason to exist .................either that or just don't complain about the bloke kicking and punching his cat, can't have it both ways 🤐

ps never watch the Discovery channel it shows programmes of animals killing animals for food............or ever go visit a zoo, all that exploitation

• Advertisement

I've already said that subsidies should be put in place to aid in the transition to plant based food production. The whole world isn't just going to stop eating animals, it will be a gradual transition and industries and economies will adapt. This is currently happening. Animal agriculture is having a devastating impact on the environment. This is already destroying jobs, livelihoods and economies and it's really jus tip of the iceberg as to what's to come. So eating animals is not only unnecessary, but it's in the best interest for all life (including the trillions slaughtered annually of course) to transition to plant based food production with incentives such as rewilding land etc in place and subsidies and supports for transition.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭PaoloGotti

I was disgusted by the video. If I was his team mate I would never talk to him again. If I was his manager I would never pick him to play again. If I was his club owner I would get rid of him. So if it was up to me, he wouldn’t be a pro footballer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Yeah it is depressing alright, we just don't see it. Classic out of sight out of mind. Certainly gives people a lot to think about regarding their meat consumption.

People would still have to eat though, they would get jobs producing plant based foods and artificial meat substitutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I don't because it is illogical. The subject of the thread here is a multi millionaire public figure, who filmed himself or let himself be filmed kicking his cat. Those are the facts

The word for what you are talking about is called 'Anthropomorphism'. You are putting human emotions on the rest of the cows. You use the line the cows could 'smell death'. They could not. What happened was you imagined that the rest of the cows smelt death. Putting yourself in the place of the cows as if they were human. Kicking a cat for fun and eating meat for fuel and well being are two entirely separate issues. It is only natural for the those higher up in the food chain to eat those lower down the food chain. What is not natural is teasing/bullying an animal for pleasure. That serves no practical purpose as an abattoir does.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

What a ****.

I think these animals are smarter than you give them credit for.

Are you aware of the designs for slaughterhouses from the likes of Temple Grandin who have had to come up with carefully designed chutes the animals are forced down to lessen their anxiety?

"Curved chutes fix an obvious problem. When cattle see what they’re in for, they become panicked and stressed. They ram into each other, try to spin around, and slip to the ground, injuring themselves. Grandin realized that curved chutes shield them from viewing what’s ahead, keeping them calm. The arched shape also plays to cattle instinct, which is to walk in a circle back to where they came."

Is it natural for you to go to a supermarket and buy animal flesh that is packaged in plastic and void of any resemblance to the life that died against their will? Is it natural for animals to be selectively bred to maximise their yields and creating devastating environmental impact? Humans are literally destroying the planet, by being "higher up in the food chain", do you not think we should be doing what we can to provide a better, healthier planet for all life?

It's completely unnecessary to consume animals and doing so is at the demise of health, environment and of course the lives of all the animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

@cormie

I'm only asking you to answer a simple question of whether you think it's wrong to cause harm where harm isn't necessary)

Are you? Tbh I have no idea why you have persistently asked me that particular inquiry. What your own personal philosophy is on what you chose to eat, is honestly not my concern.

Imho the thread has already been railroaded enough times down blind allies into vague philosophical asides which have nothing whatsoever to do with Zouma sadisticly kicking a cat and filming it.

But to your query. I'm being civil when I say I've absolutely no idea. I did look it up and I now know that the theory of 'least harm' is often viewed sceptically as being problematic for a whole host of reasons. I also understand it was used in the Pro life / Abortion debate not that long ago to support the idea that legislation allowing for women to have certain necessary gynecological services be denied.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/askaphilosopher.org/2017/10/09/problems-with-j-s-mills-harm-principle/amp/

In relation to your own notions about only eating plants. I believe that has already been dealt by someone who is qualified to answer such philosophical quanderies. This is a selected extract from that answer.

"The Least Harm Principle May Require that Humans Consume a Diet Containing Large Herbivores, Not a Vegan Diet

"If half of the total harvested land in the US was used to produce plant products for human consumption and half was used for pasture-forage production, how many animals would die annually so that humans may eat?

60 million ha, plant production × 15 animals/ha = 0.9 billion

60 million ha, forage production × 7.5 animals/ha = 0.45 billion

Total: 1.35 billion animals

According to this model then, fewer animals (1.35 billion) would die than in the vegan model (1.8 billion). As a result, if we apply the LHP as Regan did for his vegan conclusion, it would seem that humans are morally obligated to consume a diet of vegetables and ruminant animal products.

But what of the ruminant animals that would need to die to feed people in the pasture-forage model? According to USDA numbers quoted by Francione (2000), of the 8.4 billion farm animals killed each year for food in the US, approximately 8 billion of those are poultry and only 37 million are ruminants (cows, calves) the remainder includes pigs and other species.

Even if the numbers of cows and calves killed for food each year was doubled to 74 million to replace the 8 billion poultry, the total number of animals that would need to be killed under this alternative method wouldstill be only 1.424 billion, still clearly less than in the vegan model.

1. Another alternative, suggested recently by PETA (2001), recommends that if we are going to eat meat, we should kill the largest animalspossible, thereby reducing the number of animals that would need to die to feed humans (LHP). In fact, they have suggested that blue whales, the largest known living animal would be the ideal choice.

This suggestion strikes me as unsustainable, because it would be impossible to find adequate numbers of adult animals to harvest without totally depleting the population.

2. A third alternative, suggested by Peter Cheeke (personal communica- tion), would be to eliminate intensive agriculture altogether and have everyone produce their own vegan diet on small plots of land using no-till production systems to reduce killing/harm to animals of the field. Ibelieve that this system would also be unpractical and not viable. The human populations are too large, land is concentrated in the hands of the few rather than many, and social systems would need to revert to those of primitive cultures.

3. But if herbivores are used, wouldn’t it cause least harm if we used the fewest possible, therefore, the largest herbivores? Elephants might be used, but in practical terms, I believe that the majority of people would object to eating elephants. Large draft horse breeds developed previously as working horses, may be up to twice the size of a cow. Perhaps they could be used to harvest or convert forages into meat and dairy products. Again, I don’t believe many humans would support this option; otherwise there would already be more people willing to consume horsemeat.

4. Kerasote (1993) proposed that least harm would be done if humans were to hunt locally, particularly large animals like elk for their own food. But his least harm concept appears to be related as much to least harm to the environment (less fossil fuel consumption) as least harm to animals. Furthermore, this doesn’t seem to be a practical idea, because there are too few animals and there would be too many hunters. As Taylor (1999) said, one “issue that arises from Kerasote’s argument is whether hunting for one’s food is practical on a large scale.” ...

INTENDED VS. UNINTENDED DEATHS

Taylor (1999) says that another issue arises from Karasote’s argument, and that is the matter of intentional infliction of harm versus harm that is the unintentional, but a foreseeable side effect of one’s actions. The animals of the field die not intentionally, but incidentally as a consequence of producing food for humans. On the other hand, farm animals (chickens, pigs, cows, and sheep) are killed intentionally to provide food for humans.

Perhaps I don’t fully understand the nuances or moral significance of this difference, but it seems to me that the harm done to the animal is the same – dead is dead. Furthermore, many farmers do intentionally kill some animals of the field because their presence causes reduced yields. Taylor (1999) says about the questions of intent, “A utilitarian is likely to see no moral difference between the two, since utilitarianism holds that it is consequences that count and not intentions.”

CONCLUSION

1. Vegan diets are not bloodless diets. Millions of animals of the field die every year to provide products used in vegan diets.

2. Several alternative food production models exist that may kill fewer animals than the vegan model.

3. More research is needed to obtain accurate estimations of the number of field animals killed in different crop production systems.

4. Humans may be morally obligated to consume a diet from plant based plus pasture-forage-ruminant systems."

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://fewd.univie.ac.at/fileadmin/user_upload/inst_ethik_wiss_dialog/Davis__S._2003_The_least_Harm_-_Anti_Veg_in_J._Agric._Ethics.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiepKjz3_31AhUVQEEAHRtaBDUQFnoECCsQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1GCk0Z0V2rC1r_j7FrLprn"

Edit:

Btw I found the above when I looked it up. Hope it helps. I don't have any further "answers" for you based on that, as Philosophy is really not my area of expertise. Therefore I would be obliged if you didn't direct any more of those questions eitherway.

Yeah that is to create less panic and make it more functional it can be dangerous having animals kicking and so on. But again I fail to see the relevance of the steamline practical feeding of the human population, by the meat industry has to do with the issue at hand.

The issue is a high profile footballer is kicking a cat. One incident is functional, practical, purposeful and beneficial to people. The other incident is mean spirited nasty and serves no ultimate purpose other than some sort of twisted amusement.

If you cannot see the difference between the two, I suggest you may have a very strong and obvious agenda. Which has nothing to do with a cat been kicked and filmed at all.

I understand that, i see it in action on twitter and Instagram where people put out videos supposedly showing their dog being remorseful or sorry for something. In reality the dog doesn't have a clue what it did wrong it is just scared and responding to the anger or annoyance of their owner.

In the case of cows in the abattoir "pissing and sh*tting themselves" fearing death. Its clear they know something terrible is afoot otherwise why are they pissing and sh*tting themselves in terror?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭stellamere

"New account defending scumbag"

Just a phenomenal putdown there, so well articulated. You must have been a hell of a debater in your day. I would have thought, given that you're such an old hat on this site, you'd be able to string a sentence together.

"Both sides nonsense?"Im sorry that i offended your sensibilities by looking at the proportionality of the punishment being meated out. You made it clear that you couldn't care less if he did away with himself, I thought that that is ott.

In those circumstances, I don't really see a whole lot difference between you and Zouma, just a case of your hatred being channeled in different directions.

I've asked you that particular query because if you agree that it's wrong to cause harm, where harm isn't necessary, your posts would seem to suggest otherwise so you may not be living in line with your principles if that's the case.

The article you posted is very flawed, the maths are flawed and when the errors are corrected, the arguments actually make a strong case for a vegan diet. You can read more here:

https://fewd.univie.ac.at/fileadmin/user_upload/inst_ethik_wiss_dialog/Matheny__G._2003_Defense_of_Veg__in_J._Agric_Ethics.pdf

Then there's also other issues with it described here: https://criticallyvegan.wordpress.com/2017/07/11/the-least-harm-principle-a-rebuttal-to-davis-2002/

The issue at hand is the unnecessary harm caused to an animal for pleasure or gain by the perpetrator. Anyone concerned for the well being of this animal, should have equal concern when such harm is caused in other areas if they are to be consistent with their principles. Just because "One incident is functional, practical, purposeful and beneficial to people." doesn't mean it's any more moral. You could argue the same points in favour of slavery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

So are carnivores inherently evil and bad? Is Zouma's cat the real villain here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭timmymagoo

The reality is some people are animal lovers and are vegetarians and are genuinely upset by the actions of this individual

but than there is the majority of people who are jumping on the bandwagon for other reasons - they hate wealthy people, they hate black people, they love the social media drama of it all, anything to make their sad existence feel better, anything to avoid the harsh realities of life

Russia could invade Ukraine and in that invasion murder children and babies and these same people trying to destroy this foot ballers life will not care and they will hide like the cowards that they are if Russia rolled into Western Europe

this footballer needs to be fined heavily and made raise money and awareness for animal charities and than allowed to get on with his life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭thefallingman

no messing around on a farm, if the animal no longer serves a purpose it's killed, hung up and bled out and butchered. It's a different mindset to that of sheltered city folk who only see meat packed in plastic in a shop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

'Russia could invade Ukraine and in that invasion murder children and babies and these same people trying to destroy this foot ballers life will not care and they will hide like the cowards that they are if Russia rolled into Western Europe'

New thread title:

Kurt Zouma think it's funny to use Ukraine as a political football

Carnivores kill out of necessity and instinct. Tigers will also kill and eat their own babies. They however don't have the same moral compass most humans possess and with that should come responsibility and a will not to cause unnecessary harm and suffering to others.

"your posts would seem to suggest otherwise so you may not be living in line with your principles if that's the case"

As stated previously I'm not going to debate your chosen personal philosophy.

However please do not cast aspersions or make personal remarks on other people's character or principles when in reality you know nothing about any individual on the Internet. To pretend otherwise is simply ignorance.

The issue you brought up was the "theory of least harm" in relation to your ideas about animal vs plant based diets. And no matter how you want to cast aspersions, those who eat a different diet to you are not "perpetrators" and in doing so that is little other than childish name calling.

As detailed your use of the theory of "least harm" which as detailed has been variously criticised, is problematic in many ways and even has even been used to suggest that specific gynecological services to women should be denied. The theory is certainly not as black or white as some would suggest

As far as I can see the findings of Professor Davis paper stands regardless of another paper where btw even the writer suggests that he "would be delighted if US animal agriculture would shift toward Davis’s proposed system" of an omnivorous diet based on non intensive agriculture. He believes however support the idea that the case for vegetarianism and not "veganism"

Overall Professor Davis's paper has been well received and was written by an academic expert, was peer reviewed and published in a scientific journal, the Journal of Agricultural and Environmental Ethics.

A rebuttal from some other random website really doesn't amount to much at all.

Post edited by Mecanudo on

I'm not asking you to debate my personal philosophy. I'm asking you simply, if you think it's wrong to cause harm where harm isn't necessary and you're failing to answer. I have stated I believe most people here would agree that it's wrong to cause harm where harm isn't necessary but they may not be aligning their actions with that principle. It can take a long time for people to come around and realise this and make changes to minimise their harm to others, but questioning your own principles and how your actions align to those principles is a start at least.

The use of the word perpetrator was in relation to Zouma.

Anyone speaking of least harm in relation to specific gynecological services to women should be against sending millions of sperm to an early grave and avoid any activity that may result in ejaculation in that case so 😂

It's not a rebuttal from some random website, it was literally in the same publication you have lauded above, The Journal of Agricultural and Environmental Ethics as a rebuttal to what they had previously published, contributed to by multiple professors. The one you linked to was clearly peer reviewed as the rebuttal wouldn't have come from peers had they not first reviewed Davis' paper.

Again overly dramatic comments. Now you are talking about slavery . I think you have ‘issues’ that go beyond this cat issue. You have jumped from a cat been kicked for no reason, to meat eating and now slavery!!! 🤣

Just stand back and look at that thought process and ask yourself if someone was ranting like this in the street would you consider them rationale??? Extremely odd line of argument and thought process in my opinion.

Are you one of these people who would never have used a fly swatter, fly catcher or fly spray?

You need to realise humans are on top of the food chain. In your mind I suppose the man who got the pigs heart transplant should have been let die as a pigs life would be saved?

Ok -that is fear a basic animalistic emotion. It is not ‘smelling death’ as the poster claims. That phrase was like someone who was reading too much Orwell - ‘Animal Farm’ .

Cows are terrified of a lot of things at the best of times. But needs must. There is no need for kicking a cat just for the fun of it - in contrast.

But like Kay Burley reporting on the Paris terror attacks. I assume there are people who believe there are dogs ‘with sadness in their eyes’ upon hearing about what Kurt Zouma did to that cat.

I'm not the one who introduced people's dietary choices into the conversation. Do you not see any connection or air of hypocrisy between lambasting somebody for kicking a cat while at the same time, paying for the exploitation, suffering and death of other animals? If Zouma lost his job as a footballer and became an animal farmer or slaughterhouse worker, where the atrocities committed to the animals he'd be working with would be in far greater numbers and in far greater severity, would you be defending his actions just because it's legal, functional, practical, purposeful and beneficial to people? What traits does a cat possess that these other animals don't possess that make it wrong for the cat to be harmed, but not the other animals?

What traits to human animals possess different to non human animals that make it not ok to exploit humans, even without killing them, but it's ok to exploit and kill non human animals?

• Advertisement

The theory you're promoting of "least harm" is a philosophical one and as I've clearly detailed Philosophy is not my area of expertise. What I do know from looking it up is that theory is widely criticised both in its approach and application.

Therefore I would be obliged if you didn't direct any more of those questions eitherway.

Btw the discussion article in response to Professor Harris's paper seems to be in support of the case for vegetarianism and not "veganism" as you have incorrectly suggested in your previous comment

Note: the radom website referred to was the other somewhat dodgy website linked

I posted my reply to your post before realising you edited it to include more. Yes, I'd opt to use one of these for catch and release:

With regards David Bennett, the guy who received the pigs heart, the same guy who stabbed someone 7 times and paralysed them in 1988? The irony of that is that there's a good chance his heart failure was down to lifestyle choices, with most heart disease being lifestyle related and a result of atherosclerosis which is primarily a result of consumption of animal products.

You don't need to be a professor of philosophy to answer a very simple question of whether you agree that it's wrong to cause harm where harm isn't necessary. It's not a complicated theory that needs to be studied, it's a question of basic moral principles.

If you had read the article, you would have seen this:

"Davis concludes the collective adoption of an omnivorous diet consisting both of free-range ruminant meat and vegetarian fare would be more ethical than that of a strictly vegetarian (vegan) diet.1"

They still use the word vegan diet which is what I referred to. I believe they are referring to it as vegetarianism more frequently because it's a discussion on the consumption of meat, which is what vegetarianism avoids. Vegetarianism is a diet, Veganism is a far broader spectrum defined by far more than diet. Vegetarianism is therefore the correct term for the discussion.

You are either taking the mick or your world view is off the wall. You did not answer the second question. Without any evidence claimed Bennett’s condition was caused by meat. You sound like one of these lads who was indoctrinated or brainwashed on a animals greater than humans jihad. You did not answer the question but I assume by the tone you would let a human die rather than use a pigs heart??

I suppose you don’t wear leather shoes either or have a leather belt? You must be some craic on a night out Cormie!

Worryingly all this drama in your mind just comes from a footballer kicking a cat. If there was more serious issues in your life. I question how you would cope. As everything you say is very dramatic filled with almost religious fervour. Entertaining in one way - worrying in another.

I didn't claim his condition was caused by meat, I said the majority of heart disease, is a result of lifestyle factors so there's statistical probability his own heart issues were a result of this. It could well be other less common factors. Can you give any logical reason why a human's life should be held with higher value than the life of a pig, logical now, not emotional? I'd selfishly choose to harm the pig for my own survival, but I wouldn't feel good about it.

You don't need leather shoes or a leather belt to be good craic. You can get shoes and belts not made from animals and still have a good time would you believe 😉

There's no drama from my side, I'm just offering some logical and fair comparisons and you appear to be having trouble seeing the logic of them and claiming them to be dramatic, part of some agenda, thinking I'm ranting and questioning my rationale.

On the topic of the philosophical theory of "least harm", I have to ask which part of "I would be obliged if you didn't direct any more of those questions eitherway" that is not easily understood?

To wrap this up, I'd like to say that in a thread about Zouma sadisticly kicking his cat and filming it, you've barely addressed that question or even the problems of pet ownership, which as someone else pointed out is something that "veganism' seeks to eventually completely abolish.

I understand that 'vegan advocacy is a big thing, but Its perfectly possible to have a proper discussion without necessarily personalising that discussion. I can only presume that particular approach is similar to what is being suggested to this? Personally I reckon it's not a good one.

"Guest blogger Melissa O'Conner discusses how best to spread the vegan message effectively ..."

"one of the most important ways to communicate effectively is to establish that you have common ground with those whom you wish to persuade. Among other suggestions, she notes that one way to develop common ground is to consciously choose pronouns that establish unity and commonality: “A particular strategic approach to implicit identification involves using key pronouns such as we, our and us to subtly suggest agreement."

https://faunalytics.org/how-to-spread-information-without-being-overbearing/

• Advertisement

If you're unwilling to answer that's ok.

I'd say if somebody is speaking up for animals that are regarded as having no value other than that of commodification, and speaking of not causing harm where harm isn't necessary, that should answer where they stand on somebody kicking a cat.

The idea of pet "ownership" is an issue, we can have companion animals without seeing them as our property. We can be their caretakers, without expecting anything in return from them. Humans have created a world where animals are over bred, where virtually all land is owned by people, where natural habitats have been replaced with sterile, monochrome green pastures or concrete jungles. There are animals who will have a better life being taken care of by humans. We shouldn't be breeding more animals into existence for status, fashion or any other selfish reasons (including because we think they look cute).

If you think are logical jumping from -

cat being kicked- to meat eating - to slavery - to heartdisease caused by meat (probably) - that is fine.

That says a lot. Any sane person reading the posts I saw from you thus far would reach different conclusions

They are not logical or fair comparisons and rationale is fundamentally flawed - based on your own biases and agendas.

Also I noticed you are one of those posters who seems very quick asking questions but very slow in answering them.

You STILL have obfuscated and not answered my question if a human had the choice of getting a pigs heart transplant.

Would you prefer the human to die or the pig?

1) Human

2) Pig

Simple question.

Your silence thus far has been deafening on that question as I asked it not once but three times at this stage. It says a lot of your mindset how you have yet to answer it. It is almost as if you feel guilty for being human.

--

If you can't see the connection between the issues mentioned on a basis of causing harm then maybe ask yourself why. It's not just me who has made comparisons between these issues. I wasn't even the one to first bring it into the discussion. There have already been articles and other media posted drawing lines between the issues. You then brought in the story of a heart surgery, where I pointed out the probable irony behind it.

You appear to be indicating that I'm not sane based off making these parallels. You made character assumptions surrounding my social qualities based on whether I wear animal shoes or belts. Is this rational or logical?

To answer your question, if it was myself or someone I cared for, I would prefer the pig to die. If I had a bond with a particular pig and it had to be that pig to save some random human who I had no connection with, I'd rather the human die. If I had no bond or connection with either human or pig, then I'd rather neither die, but if the human was going to die anyway, then I wouldn't think it's fair for the pig to be killed in this instance. I can understand that it would be seen as necessary from the humans side and see there being an argument for the moral justification for the killing, as opposed to animals used for products where there is no need. I don't know the details of medical advances and technology and if there were alternatives available that didn't involve a pig having to die, if so , then these should be used.

I have already explained the major difference you seem unwilling or incapable of grasping. One is functional one is not. One is to do with human healthy survival - the other is just mindless stupidity (kicking a cat for fun)

--

I noticed you could not answer simply - Pig or Human.

It should be simple in my view for the majority of sane people.

But this bit in your above post that raises eyebrows was -

If you had a bond with pig??? You would prefer some random human to die?

This basically means that you value animals more than human life. And some human life is meaningless to you.

That is some moral code you have. Were you watching 'Babe' on repeat as a child or something?? That is a really odd and extremist world view.

Set up a poll on boards and see what a result of that poll would be - on that issue.

Maybe in your circle of friends that chat is normal. But clearly you are extremely left field on this issue. Your issue is not merely with Kurt Zouma kicking the cat. That is just a small trigger for your underlying issue.

Your issue is with humans being top of the food chain. And it disturbs you. To such an extent you have made unnatural lifestyle choices (and hypothetical choices) to try and make yourself feel better about the situation. And in some circumstances of your choosing in life and death situations - you would chose an animal over a human being. How a person ends up thinking like that I don't know. Baffling stuff.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Healthy survival? Animal products are not only unnecessary for health and well being on an individual basis, but also detrimental and contribute to an array of diseases. "Nowadays, plant-based eating is recognized as not only nutritionally sufficient but also as a way to reduce the risk for many chronic illnesses." That's from Harvard Medical school but there's plenty more dietetic associations and the likes with similar stances on plant based diets. Then there's also the fact that animal agriculture is destroying the planet. How is that healthy? How is that functional? If you think there is no issue with an industry built on the exploitation of others, that's damaging the health of its workers, the health of its customers and the very planet we live on, then we indeed have very different viewpoints.

Yes, some people develop bonds with all sorts of animals. If you've ever cared for an animal maybe you had a bond with them, how would you feel if you were a child playing with that animal and your parents came to take them away to be killed because somebody you didn't know wanted a part of their body when there may have been other solutions available?

You're making a lot of assumptions in the rest of your post. Human life and animal life are as meaningful as each other if I don't have any connection to either life. I'd guess a poll would go in your favour on that issue as most people pay for the unnecessary exploitation of animals daily, so it would be a big step to expect otherwise. Maybe if you asked a more philosophical question with professors of philosophy only allowed answer, as in, not posted in after hours, without the emotion attached to it, without anthropocentric bias, you might get a much different result.

• Advertisement

There is no talking to you are brainwashed. I will leave you be. Without posters like you boards would be less amusing. Left field posters are strangely fascinating to me - in small doses.

But I hope you keep taking those supplements - iron vitamins or whatever you need to have a natural diet. To at least enable you to stay physically healthy.

And I hope incidents like the one this thread is supposed to be about (a footballer kicking a cat) does not take too much toll on you mentally in future. As they seem to be major triggers for you and only copperfasten your blinkered world view, and moral compass.

Yep, those who don't want harm caused to others are brainwashed indeed. B12 is really the only supplement needed on a plant based diet. It's advised to supplement Vitamin D for everyone in Ireland during winter,.

They even supplement b12 to farm animals - it says Natural on the carton so it must be, along with the natural selective breeding, the natural confinement etc! Iron is certainly not an issue, plenty of that in plant foods :)

If I let an incident like this affect me mentally, I don't think I'd be able to cope with the atrocities inflicted on the trillions of sentient lives annually. I'm more logically minded but thanks for your concern :)

Im a bit more relaxed about Russia invading now. Timmy is going to save us.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Mod note - Lads if you cannot discuss these matters without getting personal then do not post. Last warning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭SeanW

Good lord! 500 posts and virtually everyone has forgotten about Kurt Zouma drop-kicking cats.

Shouldn't the vegans/vegetarians start their own thread instead of hijacking a totally unrelated thread?

Because these two things have nothing whatsoever to do with one another. Basic biology is clear - humans are natural omnivores, ergo we do best on a balanced diet of meat and various plant types, the right kind in the right proportions. That's why humans have eaten as much meat as they could throughout history, even after we settled into agricultural societies, which was only around 10,000 years ago.

Drop kicking cats on the other hand, is a sign of a scumbag who enjoys cruelty and is abusive to animals purely for fun, not connected with any biological need. The view of cats as being cute and furry is only an additional factor in this case that magnifies ones feelings, it is not decisive factor. Ergo the "you care about cats but what about pigs" isn't really a good argument - if this scumbag were drop kicking baby pigs around for no reason other than laughs, he would be - objectively - just as much of a scumbag.

Although the consumption of animal products has been a need for a lot of humans in the past, most reading this will be surrounded by an abundance of plant foods so it can no longer be seen as a need anymore. There's plenty of systematic reviews and meta analyses of RCT's and population studies which suggest the higher the consumption of whole plant foods, the lower the mortality and lower instances of disease. Even if that was't the case and animal products weren't associated with higher risk of disease, the fact that any reputable association of dietetics and health worldwide state that a diet void of animal food is perfectly suitable for all stages of life for humans, means that it's not necessary to consume animal products. Doing so for sensory pleasure, cultural and societal habits and norms etc is a want and not a biological need. Doing so also has damaging effects on health, environment, the risk of pandemics thus causing devastating effects on economies, mental health etc etc), as well as the unnecessary captivity and killing of trillions of lives each year.

Those of you who fail to see the connection and fail to acknowledge that it's unnecessary to keep animals captive and to kill them, would you say if you were working in a slaughterhouse, that the act of killing innocent animals who don't want to die would bring you joy and work satisfaction knowing you're providing for people like yourselves who think the way you do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Won't somebody please think of the cats?

You're not wrong and it's not for trying.

Zouma now out ill afaik. Doesn't seem to be any update from that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

It's unrealistic to expect people to simply ignore food they find delicious and addictive just because they can also get plant foods. It would be like assuming people can avoid drinking alcohol just because it's bad for you. Kicking a defences cat is a nasty thing to do, not been able to avoid food you've been eating your whole life is not a nasty thing to do.

If they feel sensory pleasure for a 10 minute meal is more important than the life of an animal and is more morally justified than kicking a cat for whatever pleasure Zouna derived from it, they may want to reevaluate their actions if in principle, they agree it's wrong to cause harm where harm isn't necessary. It's entirely possible to avoid food you've been eating your whole life when you acknowledge the victims being harmed unnecessarily.

Besides, there's an abundance of foods now available to satisfy taste and texture preference now, plant based restaurants with Michelin stars, plant based chocolates beating hundreds of other chocolates in blind taste test competitions etc etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement