Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

First off I did not rip the **** out of the 20's. If you read my post, I gave a technical description of the game and then used the under 20's game as an example of the score in the game.

As I said some lads are prickly. I was watching rugby in black and white before most here were born. It was on Saturdays from mid January to mid March back then the only game you saw was the Irish games.

Yes it's a technical game however for the modern game especially at professional level the pitch is too small for teams of 15 elite athletes. While they have taken some of the concussion risk out if it and the more dangerous tackles it is still a risky game. We will not see what the true risks are for another 20-30 years.

At the end in scoring about 70% of tries at professional level players virtually have to bash there way over the line.

All sports have there flaws. I was annoyed last night to see Anthony Daly avoided the question on the melee. Even the hurling panelists first reaction was it was handbags stuff. It was not until the striking was shown that they accepted the need for the red card.

I would never be a fan of Gogh as a ref. However he was very brave in his decision to deal with the melee on the he Tyrone/Antrim match. Now it was easier as it was the very end of the match and what happend did not effect the result.

Watching last night's melee 2-4 more players could have seen the line. Horgan only dealt with what he saw he never conferred with his umpires to any great extent.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,529 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Good insights from Irish in ukraine on rte radio 1 atm.

One insight was the Belarus shipping in of refugees earlier and putting them across their border into the EU. Was an exercise by Russia to see how the EU would cope or not with millions of Ukrainian refugees looking for asylum.

Wednesday now seems to be the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭DBK1

Yea definitely. I also think Carbery being on the field was one of the factors in making the decision to go for the posts with that penalty at 6 points down the right decision. There’s a lot of flak towards James Ryan not being captain material because of that but I think the complete opposite.

If they had went to the corner and were lucky enough to get a try, and that was at very best a 50 50 chance, they were then in a position where Carbery has a very difficult kick from the sideline to get us ahead. Make that kick and he’s a hero, miss it and it could have ruined him. All the talk online, in the papers, everywhere, would be of that missed kick and it losing the game and costing us the chance of a grand slam. I know that’s he’s job on the pitch and if he’s not fit to take that chance you could argue he shouldn’t be there but it would have been 75 mins into his first game after a lengthy injury lay off in his first six nations start. There would have to be a fatigue and pressure factor to be allowed for so I think it was the right decision and the captain backed the team to get back to a try scoring position to win. Ultimately that didn’t happen but it meant they lost as a team rather than on one individual. My opinion is it was an excellent captains decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

I'm not so sure it was the right call the maul was one of our few strengths against the french and the lineout was working pretty well yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭DBK1

Our previous lineout in that corner the French won from our throw so no guarantee we would have even won the lineout, let alone get over for the try. But of we did we were then in the position I described previously with all the pressure on Carbery and he’s either the hero or villain then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭Gillespy

It was nothing short of a braindead decision to kick the penalty. Think it through. Six points behind, less than 10 to go. Every time it has to go in the corner. It only makes sense if the deficit was more than a try. Clock in the red then they kicked the ball away, another lesson for the next world cup? Sloppy all game they didn't deserve it anyway. I thought the days of praising the fight and effort were behind Irish rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Anyone ever buy a fluxcore welder from lidl? Similar to mig but without the need for shielding gas. Just wondering would any of the usual welding/engineering shops sell flux wire to suit them? Our local Lidl was putting them on the shelves tonight not advertised as they are surplus stock. Sajd id ask around before purchasing but cant go too far wrong at €94.99. Also see a plasma cutter with a built in compressor system there aswell in case anyones interested @€170ish.

Better living everyone

Got one of those welders from Lidl a few years ago now. Wire went through just for a few attempts and then it started slipping and not pushing through and had to give up on the yoke. Keep your money in your pocket would be my advice on the welder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Thanks for the reply, asked fella im working with he said the same. It only goes to 120amp and is really only suited for stuff up to 2.5mm so he reckoned tis really only of any use to a panel beater really.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Odelay

Anyone else notice large aircraft flying low recently? I seen a couple of 747 type flying very low over the house, banking in an arc. We are not particularly close to an airport, and never noticed this carry on in 40 years living here.

That was yesterday, and today i see the same thing happening on farming life at la forge, same thing going on all day for them, but in their case it was large military aircraft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭The Rabbi

What time yesterday?

I can have a look back on the desktop version of flightradar.

In the southeast here and you'd see the jets changing course for approach to the uk airports.

(could be the rooskies playing with radar) 😎

See if flight UR0801 matches up with your time and location.

Big cargo plane doing a bit of sightseeing.

I don't know if it was the same aircraft, but it or others were doing the same thing a regularly a few hours later. But i didn't get to look up flight radar again. Is it not a very large expensive aircraft to be doing training in? Never had them doing these low banking passes before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Rte are rehashing the Bidens administration remember their intelligence on Afghanistan that it would take months the tailban would reach kabul?

Watched a interview of Putin with meghan Kelly that was done 3 years ago, he's not stupid enough to start a hot war in Ukriane, the Americans are looking for a distraction/something to blame on the impending stock market crash, putin moving into the Ukraine is the perfect event to blame...

That same aircraft did six Shannon to Shannon take offs and landings that day each flight lasting half an hour and not following the same route each time.

I think you've solved your puzzle. She came from Bournemouth airport in the uk to Shannon before that and today went Bournemouth to New York. An Airbus A340.

Yeah sure, everything has been tickety-boo since 2014 in Ukraine.

Their paws are all over this since 2014, the fascinating thing is the disrespect and disdain the Biden white-house is showing towards Ukraines leadership announcing imment invasions on certain dates and the Ukraines first here it from the white house press briefings

https://www.strategic-culture.org/news/2018/06/03/how-why-us-government-perpetrated-2014-coup-ukraine/

Makes perfect sense though for belarus/russia to be testing europe's resolve with the recent migrant releasing into the EU.

Russia is/were probably threatening this for the last good while. Russia and Belarus probably playing for US and EU money to stop themselves invading Ukraine and it looks like US and EU haven't paid up yet or paid enough yet to stop the tanks rolling in. That'd be my take on it.

Looks like this is a very crucial week. Does look like they'll invade though.

Talks is there's expats in Ukraine joined a foreign defence regiment numbering 17,000. Could be irish in that number.

• Advertisement

Not even clicking on that, you need to review your news sources. Biden hasn't moved 147,000 Russian troops to the Ukrainian border, Biden hasn't written that Ukraine shouldn't exist as a nation, Biden's ambassador hasn't told neutral Sweden that their joining NATO won't be tolerated... and on, and on, and on.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

From Wikipedia:

The Strategic Culture Foundation is a Russian think tank that primarily publishes an online current affairs magazine of the same name. It is regarded as an arm of Russian state interests by the United States government.[1]

According to a 2020 United States Department of State report, the Strategic Culture Foundation is directed by Russia's Foreign Intelligence Service, and is closely affiliated with Russia's Ministry of Foreign Affairs.[1]

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Belarus, or Belarus Oblast as it probably should be called, situation has come about because Lukashenka fúcked up. The last election was so illegitimate he brought a colour revolution on himself, faced with justice from his own people he did the only thing any brutal dictator could, appealed to a higher evil for help. In fairness he had attempted to keep just beyond arms length from the Kremlin for a long time, but he ran out of road and has sold his soul to the devil.

Forget everything else, what *this* is about is the preservation of gangster regimes. Putin can't nuke his own country, to maintain his own power he must keep colour revolutions, democracies, organisations like the EU & NATO as far away or as divided as possible,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

Are they the ones training with plywood shaped AKs.

It’s pro Russia but has factual information

Nuland is some piece of work when you read up on her achievements

The extremely reactionary chauvinistic Nuland was deputy foreign advisor to Dick Cheney during the Bush-Cheney administration (2003-2005) and then U.S. ambassador to NATO (2005-2008). Under Obama she was Under Secretary of State for Europe and Eurasia, handpicked by Hillary Clinton. She is married to noted neocon warmonger-scholar Robert Kagan. Both were deeply complicit in spreading the Big Lies leading to the Iraq War in 2003. Nuland supported Hillary Clinton’s terroristic regime change efforts in Libya and Syria. But her main mission in life is to expand NATO. Joe Biden shares her passion for this project.

Nuland is perhaps best known for her pithy ejaculation: “**** the EU!” in a telephone call with the U.S. ambassador to Ukraine in 2014.

https://www.cato.org/commentary/display-contempt

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Good loser

You do realize Putin is on the verge of ordering/being responsible for the deaths of 50,000 people - and enormous numbers of injuries!!

He's an execrable piece of humanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭Gillespy

A slap in the face from a dirty cow's tail has a higher approval rating than Biden so a war is the age old traditional way of improving that. Ukrainian president needing to come out afterwards to calm everything down shows how desperate they are.

One things for sure, there will be a lot of very disappointed and angry Irish warhawks if nothing happens. It's like it's after filling the void covid left for them. Morons repeating what everyone else hears on the radio and news and passing it off like they're experts on the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

This jockeying for position in world order has been played well by Putin. He's has Europe by the short and curlys with an increase in the price of gas, flooding dollars back to rubles as the head east. Secondly with the fertiliser price hikes and exports or N stopped, this will further strengthen his hand. This with a potential drop in world wide harvest tonnage, he holds the cards.

Camping his army around Ukraine is only a small cost compared to the gains financially and world order ranking that Russia has achieved. Its a shake up for capitalism and more importantly EU, regarding energy and food, the 2 necessities for every single person to function. In the past 15 years Russia has become focused on its own self sufficiency and dropping the needs for imports. This was started on the back of sanctions implemented by EU. Should America and the EU look to implement sanctions on Russia, these will be utterly useless, as Russia will counter with reduced gas and nitrogen supplies. The longer that Putin can drag out this stand off and keep heat in the situation, Russia hand gets stronger in the background, and it weakens that of the US and the EU

This will get people to focus on the basic physiological needs of food, warmth and shelter. This element from the bottom rung of Maslow's hierarchy of needs has been overlooked for years as our western societies have been more interested in YouTube, smartphones and whatever fad is the latest.

Post edited by mr.stonewall on

• Advertisement
Advertisement