Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McEntee launches Garda recruitment drive. Is this just lip service?

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,227 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Management in AGS are technophobes. Pulse was introduced to reduce paperwork, but it only doubled it, because now there was additional paperwork for the digital systems. I brought my laptop to one of my last interviews. It was very minor and he was admitting, so I took the chance, as the law says "in writing", and typing is a process of writing... Anyway, what would have taken around 45 minutes if I was writing, took 10 minutes. I then printed out the conversation, read it over and got them to physically sign the print outs. Job done, saved me time later typing it out again. I got given out to and told never to do it again. Technophobes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭mikethecop

Yes I'm aware women have babies . I was one myself at one point . A baby not a woman . .

Policing us a 24 hour 7 day a week 365 service that at present is grossly under resourced. Increasing the numbers of people in that service who are likely to be in effective for a large period of time is a poor idea.

Recruitment should reflect that and not the political policy of the day to increase inclusion and diversity in the work place.

You not agreeing with those facts does not make me wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,817 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

How many babies do you think the average woman has now a days? 10? 15?

Should females not apply to being teachers, nurses or doctors because they may be away having kids now and again?

Your thought process here is stone age if you ask me.

Not to mention that male parents are entitled to parental leave also. Maybe parents should not be gardai ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,138 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Yes I'm aware women have babies . I was one myself at one point . A baby not a woman . .

Good thing you cleared that up 😁

Anyways, you’re making a point about the idea of attempting to attract more women into AGS is a bad idea on the basis that at some point, some members of the force, will take leave which they are entirely entitled to in accordance with legislation, whether it’s maternity leave, parental leave, or the number of hours lost due to sick leave, in just one year -

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40253051.html

In short, your argument, your opinion, which isn’t a fact, and you know it’s not a fact because it hinges on the assumption that candidates will at some point be considering starting a family, and you’re making the point that they should be discriminated against on the basis of what they might do.

Are you having a laugh or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,436 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Without firearms, most crime and Gardai intervention, resorts to physical strength, and presence (size)

No it doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,817 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Depends on the situation. Not every situation requires a culchie built like a shed to tackle someone physically. Women tend to be much better at deescalating situations.

Anyway, that wasn't my point. The point mikethecop was saying was that women shouldn't be Guards at all because they become pregnant and have to take time off.

It really just comes down to schools and education.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭mikethecop

So who provides the policing services while the ladies are out on maternity 🤔

And what percentage male female would ye like ? 50 50 ? And why ?

Post edited by mikethecop on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,138 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

You’re arguing as though the responsibility increases on all male Gardaí if women take maternity leave. It doesn’t. Even when the Minister took maternity leave, a temporary Minister for Justice was appointed, and according to them -

New figures show that there has only been a marginal increase in the number of female gardaí, with 572 women joining the ranks since 2011.

The latest figures show currently only 3,974 sworn members of An Garda Síochána are female. This compares to 3,402 in 2011. 

In 2010, women made up 24.4% of sworn members of the force, compared to 75.6% who were men. As of 2021, this gender breakdown stood at 27.7% women, to 72.3% men. 

The figures show the number of female officers dropped each year between 2011 and 2015, falling from 3,402 to 3,324. From 2016, numbers began to increase again, gaining an additional 200 women in 2017, and 167 in 2018. The figures for 2021 represent a decrease in the number of women in An Garda Síochána; Nine women left the force between 2020 and 2021.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40733274.html

Who provides the policing service when ladies are out on maternity? Their colleagues in the force of course.

There isn’t any specific percentage I’d like, or that I’d care about for that matter. I’m satisfied the opportunities to become a member of AGS are there for anyone, without discrimination as to their sex, and have been for the last 60 years -

https://www.garda.ie/en/about-us/our-departments/office-of-corporate-communications/press-releases/2019/july/60th-anniversary-of-women-joining-an-garda-siochana-on-the-10-7-19.html

Why? Because nobody should be deprived of the opportunity to become a member of AGS on the basis of their sex is why, and they haven’t been for the last 60 years. Policing in this country has only improved in that time, as opposed any notions that permitting women to become members of AGS has any negative impact on policing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

The Gardai said at their conference a few months ago that they assaulted at work and that it is a serious issue... they need to do whatever it takes to make sure this does not happen instead of whinging... The surveys are fine but if they are being assaulted they need to up the game...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,906 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Heard about this latest recruitment drive on the news the other day, but the primary message seemed to be that they wanted to encourage more "diversity" in applications than anything else.

As others have said here, the problems with policing and justice are a lot deeper and structural (retirements, level of admin work, poor prioritisation and strategic decisions, ridiculously light sentencing, no prison spaces etc) and ultimately this pathetic soft-touch "feelz" ethos when it comes to the issues as a whole.

But then McEntee is justice minister - the same person who is legalising illegal immigrants at the moment too. Like Leo, far more concerned with virtue signalling and twitter likes and the impact on their social media profiles than the impact on society.

The social fabric and security of many of our towns and cities is gradually disintegrating because of it, and weak minds and politicised "solutions" will only increase the pace of this, not reverse it.

And who provides the service when their colleagues are out sick? Long term leave? Injured? Career break? Shorter working year? Off on a course?

There are many occasions where a member (of either sex) may be missing from work. That's the job, you'll have to learn to suck it up. You may take time off yourself some day..............

Nothing new. Every campaign encourages other nationalities to join. Nothing to do with Helen McEntee in particular. She just happens to be the justice minister at the moment.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

One can only hope this is trolling, because the alternative would be embarrassing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

You want to learn how to stant up for yourself instead of talking rubbish... you are at it again what i am saying happened... grow up..

I've nothing new to add, so I'll just add an odd anecdote. I can see where mike is coming from. I'm not a big lad. Only 5'6" (and if they had kept the height restriction, maybe I wouldn't have ruined a part of my life by joining). I wasn't fit or strong. I was enough of both to pass the physical fitness tests and the push/pull machine, but only just I'd say.

Anyway, I was well aware of this and ensure I policed as best I could without taking things too far and ending up in a scuffle I couldn't handle. From from small man syndrome, I was the opposite and ensured that I had good backup before engaging. Unfortunately, not everyone of my similar size or stature thought the same. There was one girl in particular, couldn't have been taller than 5'4", and a wisp of a thing. She was so aggressive, I used to hate being on patrol with her. She would annoy people with her "I'm the guard you do what I say" mentality. No consideration of who it was, who was around, if there was support, how far away backup was.... Now, she wasn't the only one. Plenty of the hard lads were at it too, but they could at least back some of it up with physical strength. Any time this was got in a scuffle, she usually ended up injured. I've also seen small men and women fight better than the hardest looking Garda there.

We don't want soft people joining AGS, we need hardy people who won't be a liability in a scuffle. The current recruitment doesn't take that into account. They just want numbers, and particularly women and foreigners, because that will make them look diverse n stuff. AGS need to put ongoing fitness as part of the requirement. Ongoing free, during work fitness and weight classes by a professional who can work on areas Gardai need most.

Ther is also the story of one women who was massively overweight and got the rules overturned (too heavy to join) because it was unfair on her or something. Don't remember all the details, but I did work with her, and there was no way she passed the fitness exam. Plenty of lads let themselves go too though. But this was before even starting.

All good getting more members, but if the training and ongoing support isn't there, things will just repeat. And yeah, it's a pain in the hoop when a member goes on maternity. Work gets divvied out to everyone else working, as if they didn't have enough already.... Be worse now with fathers having a hape of time too, as a lot of Garda couples are in the same station, so you lost 2 members for weeks now instead of one. Nothing will change after this "drive".

So, basically you're saying both men and women can be annoying gardai, both men and women can be hardy, both men and women let themselves go, both men and women can be good at the job? Pretty much?

And it is no more annoying that women take maternity leave anymore then any member goes off injured, or long term sick or even unpaid leave. Things everyone is entitled to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

I think the moral of the story is - the best recruit for AGS is a robot.

There will always be a need for cover for members who are sick, injured, on mat/pat leave, on courses, in court and otherwise. I've heard of stations being able to solve this easily with overtime. I've seen other stations refuse to spend a penny on overtime and let the rest of the unit suffer for it. To me the latter means it's a management problem who instead of telling up the ladder that they need more resources/manpower they'll rather work their few guards into the ground.

I may have already mentioned it but there's a reason why the majority of garda stations and resources are unfit for purpose - unlike local authorities, the HSE and other public bodies; Garda management prefer to say that everything is ok in their lot and ask for a promotion instead of spending the money allocated to them or perhaps even seeking more.

This is why I'm a fan of the current Commissioner. He is not playing the same politics, and that's making things difficult for those who enjoyed the status quo. Hopefully the benefit of it all will eventually be felt by those in the lower ranks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Saw 4 Gardai carry a woman shoplifter into a van a few months back in Grafton St. A few decades back 1 Garda would have done the same job.

Yeah, except if that same Garda did it today, he'd probably be accused of sexual harassment because he rubbed off the side of her boob while trying to get her into the cage. More members = more witnesses!

Advertisement