Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Its ok, but it will go up by €600 as the battery grant is being dropped on the 15th of February

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Billydoc

Received quote, ground system. I’ve to get the concrete ready myself. They will do the rest. They quoted me €7200 for a 6kw system. Non hybrid. WiFi. No battery. No Eddi. I can take €2400 off that price then. I’ve to apply for the grant myself.

Not sure I can get battery grant. House built 2011 so I can only apply for grant next week when it new changes I think. The battery grant will be gone by then will it?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Yeah you don't qualify for the battery grant, so you couldn't get it even if you wanted it. So you only can get the new scheme.

That's a good quote, your coming in at 800 euro per kwp. (Ex ground works ofc)

How big of a slab do you have to pour?

That's not too bad, if 100mm deep that's just under 2m³ of concrete.

Is he from the northwest?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

Would 100mm depth be enough?

If that was me I'd ask at what distance the array mounts would connect to the ground and put in smaller concrete slabs at least 3-400mm depth with 100mm coming out of the ground to make maintenance easier. less digging and concrete needed too compared to a 9m x 2m x 0.1m.

For some reason I can't give links so can't show exactly what I'm thinking.

I'm not a structural engineer, but that's what we usually put in around the yard. We aim for a minimum 4" but usually ends up at 5! And that's with traffic eg tractors etc. A slab like that, as long as your on the hard below it, it isn't going anywhere.

I do know what your on about though. there's not much difference in the work.. unless your hand mixing the concrete!

Mini digger either way!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

Could you not just sink concrete post holes at the points where the frame will actually make contact with the ground ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Gorteen

I'm in a bungalow built in 2000, approx 2400 sq foot. Currently OFCH and a solid fuel stove with a back boiler. I've done nothing to "improve" the house in terms of heating system, insulation since it was built. My plans are as follows;

1. I'm planning on going all out with replacement windows, changing from fairly basic quality double glazing to triple glazing windows and replacing all external doors at the same time.
    2. I'm also very interested in getting solar panels with some method of storing electricity because I'm thinking of getting an electric car.
    3. The final part is that I'm going for is to get a modern environmentally friendly air to water heating system.

I'm not looking forward to having my very nice solid wooden floors ripped up but I've heard that the best heating system Air to Water works best with underfloor heating pipes. I would really want to retain my solid fuel stove because I like to have a real fire and part of me would worry that if there were any power cuts, I'd be in the dark and cold! :(

I'm in the Midlands and I would appreciate any recommendations for people who can provide a good standard of work for the three different plans above.

Is there a recommended way of tackling all issues above to maximise the available grants? Should I look for an expert to manage the process?

• Advertisement

You sure could.

There's always a but, to do them neatly you'd either want to dig by hand or hire a post hole drill thingy. Then you'd also want to make sure they are all at the same level.

There's also the ground screws, they are a neat job too.

A slab is the easiest (for the installer, set the mount down and bolt it on), esp of you can get a digger in (and the concrete), which you prob can if you have space for a ground mount.

That's just the farmer in me, (and having access to loaders and diggers)

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

I've used a BER consultant to inspect our house E2! And give us a detailed plan to get the house up to B rating. He knew all the incentives for heat pumps but we didn't want it. PM for details if you want. B rating is possible even retaining our two fireplace but with wood burning stoves.

The grant regime is changing this month to the "one stop shop" which includes new grants for windows and underfloor insulation and some other things as well. Might as well maximize the grants if you're windows and heat pump.

Is your floor suspended timber type?

I'd appreciate the details of the BER consultant.

Is our floor suspended? Beneath the solid wood floors there's a series of wooden battens sitting on a concrete floor. Is that suspended?

Not sure, our boards are on joists but there is over a foot of space down to the concrete.

@Gorteen I would suggest looking at some anti-ASHP videos. I personally know that one won't work for me. From what I have seen, you realistically need an air tightness house.

You can have loads of insulation and solar panels and stuff and have a reasonable Ber, but still have a gale blowing through the house making ASHP very ineffective.

And if I'm not mistaken, since it doesn't heat to the levels of gas central heating, it takes ages to heat up and so you basically need to keep it on running 24 x 7.

Sorry for moving off topic

The battens are 3/4 inch thick and are laid onto concrete surface. The wooden floor is then laid on top of that 3/4 inch layer. The finished floor boards are also 3/4 inch thick so there is 1 and 1/2 inch between your foot and the concrete

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭The devils

Hi guys

Got survey completed on Friday so role on installation ( end of march) 🤞

I was thinking has anyone got a panel heater on during the day to use access energy..

My wife is home around 2ish and me 5..would be nice to have the sting taken out of the air.

Any thoughts

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

That's not really a suspended timber floor then.

If you lift the floor, you might just be better laying strips of kingspan type panels between the Barton's, and stick to the rads

Absolutely. Get professional advice would be my recommendation. 150mm rigid insulation slab is what we need. Then allow for 80mm screed and floor finish.

As this is solar thread the battery grant expires for applications close of business tomorrow @Gorteen you can still submit a grant with battery today and will be valid for 8 months. Pick a good installer and submit, it's not binding or anything. There are several good quotes here recently a quick phone call for ballpark size in kWp and you can submit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

A note to anyone getting quotes. The battery grant of €600 is being dropped on the 15th of February.

Maximum grant going forward will be now €2400.

I don't understand the logic of dropping the battery grant but then again I don't understand the logic of our government either.

From my understanding if you nominate a installer with the SEAI before the 15th you will be able to claim the battery grant. (To be clarified)

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mrm

Fearing the grant might be ending very early in 2022 I submitted a grant application on last few days of 2021 with an installer I was not sure I would be proceeding with. In the new year I selected my installer and SEAI told me that a new application would be required with the new installer and only SEAI can delete the old application to allow a new application (cannot have two concurrent).

I would recommend submitting an application before 15th COB with an installer you may not even select and create a live application and try lock in the current grant. SEAI might allow you to revise this post 15th. The risk is that they wont/ cant. If this doesn't work you should still be able to apply for the new grant post cancelling the old application. Maybe give the SEAI a call to see what is best way to approach this.

@MAULBROOK, 'Logic' of dropping battery grant.....government may not want to promote battery systems so they can bring in super generous FIT for our benefit (i.e. delay FIT so they receive loads of free generation from non battery domestic systems)? Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Yeah, I can't see the logic of dropping the battery grant. Now to be fair, there may well be some sound logical engineering reason, but if there is, I can't see it. They have obviously decided that the money that they are/were giving out towards battery installations could be better spent elsewhere. I think it's the wrong move, but I/we don't have access to all the information that they have available and the tradeoffs that they make.

As you mention a superb FIT would be the ideal choice as a replacement for a battery. I crunched a few numbers on the back of a beer matt and the FIT cost (for me) would have to be in about €0.17-18c for it to be superior to a battery as I'll use about 85% of my battery energy at day rate. Course if they had a great FIT I wouldn't have the outlay of a battery, but that's another math problem for another day. I was just musing of how much "worth" a battery unit is to me personally.

I guess the general quotation rule needs to be modified going forward to encompass this grant change, along with some price increases over the past 6-12 months. Probably something like.....

(€1.1K per 1Kwp of panels) + (€1K per 2.0KwHr of battery) + (€500 for EDDI/iBoost diverter) = Approx price to pay.

Open to suggestions here. One thing to remember, it's not a perfect formula for all installations. Smaller installations will find it harder to match the number, while larger (7-8Kwp and above) will find it much easier. But it's a general formula to give a "rule of thumb". If you are €1000's out, then you know you are being quoted garbage and to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭The devils

Tks dr phil..sold yesterday 👍👍

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Baoithin66

Hi I am considering going for Air to Water and/or Solar PV.

I have oil cooker/central heating and an EV and would hope to get a system that does not involve ripping up floors!

I'd appreciate recommendations of suppliers in the Meath/Midlands area

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 7 tommyzoom

My quote today...

12 Panels 340 Watt 4KW .JA Solar Tier 1.

4,8 Pylon Tec Battery

5KW Solis Hybrid Inverter

Eddi

Wifi dongle

You guessed it.....

€10900 INC.VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭simpsimp

I was quoted exact same price (and I'm guessing exact same supplier) in January, for 16 Panels + 5kW PureDrive

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭fael

My quotes (From December/January)

---Company 1---

7.6kW (22 x 345W panels)

Solis 6kW hybrid inverter

Puredrive 5kWh battery

+ Harvi + WiFi dongle

€8900 (after deducting SEAI grant)

---Company 2---

7.7kW (21 panels)

Huawei inverter

Huawei 5kWh battery

Hot water booster (I told them I didn't need one as I have a combi boiler and no hot water cylinder, was included in quote anyway)

(this company also mixes up kWh and kW, does my head in)

€15000 (after deducting SEAI grant)

---Company 3---

7.8kW (21 x 370W panels)

5kW GivEnergy Hybrid Inverter

5.2kWh GivEnergy Battery

€11770,89 (after deducting SEAI grant)

Went with the first company. I asked them to come out to the house to have a look at something and answer some questions and they send someone out. So much nicer to deal with someone in person. Obviously quote was way more competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,328 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Lol, second quote is a disgrace. I think I know that crowd too. Always see them on Facebook spouting about how much better the Huawei kit is as if that justifies them being €5k too expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Always see them on Facebook spouting about how much better the Huawei kit is as if that justifies them being €5k too expensive.

Yeah, it's nonsense. They all do a job and virtually 99% of users "could not give a monkeys" if they are using one brand of inverter over another. Sure, there are edge cases where some of us might be doing some automation etc that one brand (might) be easier than the other, but for the most part they "do exactly what it says on the tin".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement