Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prime Time housing debate: Eoin O Broin vs Darragh O'Brien

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

yea sf are effectively talking from both sides at the moment, they ll change their tune when they get it, and they ll struggle to get building as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

They know its a problem but its a problem they created and coincidentally fits in great with their policies of buying, renting and leasing. Funny that.

O'Brien invests in REITs and Goldman-Sachs had the ear of FG.

Now we have MM claiming building our own is the way to go.....but because of the situation FF/FG have us in they need mostly buy, rent, lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Break down the borders, everyone welcome, amnesty for the undocumented and then complain about the housing crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

The Indo today have a feature on Ireland's biggest landlords who control 17,000 (mostly unaffordable apartments).

''The developments are often in sought-after areas and some have gyms, private cinemas, and a pledge that any issues tenants have will be ­rapidly addressed.

The investors have either snapped up existing housing stock, struck deals with developers to buy it before it is built, or developed projects themselves. ''

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

That is absolutely disgusting. The government should step in to assign conditions to such investment. In times of a crisis regulation by the state is needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Which part was disgusting?

The biggest landlord in Ireland is the state, which horribly misuses its housing stock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

The government are in the parade as well as watching it.

The lack of state intervention in what is becoming a huge societal and economic crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,758 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Now wait till you see the bleeding hearts and Sinn Fein come out in support of rent scroungers

I agree it should be taken from welfare, if the tenant is on welfare. However...

In a report for Mr Doolan, administrative officer for the council’s rent section Kayanne O’Mahony says: “It is worth noting that the principal cause of arrears is not the nonpayment of rent but the failure of tenants to inform the housing and residential services department of changes in their personal circumstances in a timely manner.

“This has resulted in retrospective debits being applied once the change in circumstances has been identified.”

When a household’s income increases or decreases their differential rent should increase or fall, and it is up to the tenant to inform the council of changed circumstances. If they fail to do so and, following an audit by the council, are found to have a higher income than they had, retrospective arrears are applied. 

Old story but how arrears are accrued is still current policy I'd imagine.

So after decades of FF/FG housing policy, the arrears is on SF and others or are we ignoring the arrears to concentrate on the expected reaction of SF and others to chasing up the arrears? No wonder we've been stuck with FF/FG for so long.

If you can find any party supporting not paying council rent, throw us a quote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,722 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The existing arrears are on FF/FG/Labour etc. policies

What you are going to do now of course is show us the policy SF have to reduce those arrears, how will they get the back payments out of them? (Which is probably a good thing to have in place before giving out lots more accommodation).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,443 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Can anyone name another country in which you get a brand new fully furnished A rated 3 bed house for 40 euro a week?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭downtheroad

If he was that concerned about the mom and pop landlords they could introduce a rent a room type relief for landlords who own one rental property. Cap the relief to a flat 20 or 25% income tax instead of up to 52%, provided the annual rent doesn't exceed €14,000 (or whatever amount). Lower tax for the landlord, lower rental price for tenant, lower rents may force the market to become more competitive, and the policy would also encourage more mom and pop type landlords to buy 1 rental property.

And it would specifically be anti REIT or institutional investor (which would be why FG wouldn't go for such a policy).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭batman_oh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Timing belt

All it would result in is more rental properties at the expense of supply being reduced for FTB’s.

without the supply coming on line any policy from any political party will just move the pressure point from one area to another.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

There's no housing crisis'; there's a failure to move to Leitrim crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I've never shown you any SF policy. I've spoke on buying instead of building.

These arrears are used by government policy defenders as a reason not to build or supply social housing. Even though we are well beyond building social housing being a cause and the same residents would be in leased or bought. In short, its a ruse.

So pointing out the arrears are not necessarily down to a refusal to pay rent is important.

Would you rather we bought it off the market, leased it with no option to buy or paid to have it built?

The alternative seems to be putting them up in the Gresham.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

No. It's a forgotten issue in the big problem that's sorting out housing, why we have a differential rent scheme based on a percentage of tenant's income. Should have been dealt with decades ago, but consistently kicked down the road by a succession of useless civil servant bureaucrats. Cost rental, the 'new' scheme, well new to our shores anyhow, is a fairer system. It's based on the construction costs and gives enough for the landlord (the State) to maintain the property to a standard over the life cycle costs of the building and its components.

Probably the best solution will be an easing in of social housing rents to be assessed in a similar fashion. I think Housing for All makes some reference to reviewing differential rents.

• Advertisement

OK, so due to lacking any policy in the area, arrears are likely to continue to grow as SF plan to favour these tenants of state built/bought (i.e. extremely expensive housing for the state to supply) accommodation.

Do you not think it would be good to have a policy on reducing arrears before doing that?

So far the policy is:

• Not bother with existing arrears which will just continue growing and get worse
    • Compete with other home buyers by buying accommodation to then rent to tenants (who have no real incentive to pay)
    • Build accommodation without any metrics showing that it's cheaper to do so and has been more expensive when tried in Northern Ireland where SF are in power

Pointing at FF/FG and shouting down and blocking what they're trying to do seems a bit vacuous when there is non-existent or vacuous policies to replace them with.

It's also perfectly understandable why the SF supports start on about whataboutery when asked to cost any of the solutions ("I can't cost the whole country", "go find out yourself", "Well FF/FG are just wrong, c'mon, 'winky face'".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I don't follow SF on a day to day basis. I can only give my opinion.

Arrears should be addressed and rent taken from welfare, if the tenant is on welfare. Non payment of rent doesn't seem to be the biggest problem, as I pointed out.

The councils and state should not be competing with home buyers. Thats one of the problems with current housing policy.

You show me buying en masse is cheaper than building en masse. Neither myself, Michael Martin nor SF, SD, PBP or FF believe it.

I will not spend days working on costing a housing build to show you why current policy has us in a decade long worsening crisis when its accepted by every single measure and political party.

I've a housing crisis to prove my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Sounds like a very professional way of doing business to me comrade.

Top class service for top rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I don't follow SF on a day to day basis. I can only give my opinion.

Even though you post in the SF thread on a daily basis?

Sorry, but no one is buying that Brucie. I still see your peddling the 'its cheaper to build than buy' narrative. Just because you repeat something often enough, doesn't make it true.

I post in the FF/FG thread daily too. Now what?

Show me buying en masse is cheaper than building en masse?

All you are doing here is trying to get a dig in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

No, just calling you out for your blatant disinformation and dishonesty.

If a LA needs to build a load of houses, they need to hire a developer to do so. Not much savings there after all is said and done.

You're getting personal while dodging a direct question.

Show me buying en masse is cheaper than building en masse?

What's the difference between paying someone to build for you and you buying off the market?

Why do investment funds invest in building apartments? Why do Developers build, when they could buy?

You're all about trying to throw digs but low on content.

I'm not sure what this post is trying to imply. Not because I lack the ability to do so but because you seem incapable of making a direct point.

By comrade I take it you're implying communism when I infer that state regulation is needed. State regulation comes in many different essential services from infrastructure right through to transport. My former job was health based and looked at the creation of drugs to treat late stage breast cancer. The government stepped in to make drugs affordable to people with late state breast cancer. State aid was visible every step of the way. It is in every facet of society that you benefit from. People are just to ignorant to see it.

• Advertisement

We've been through it all before, but developers generally have the expertise to build on schedule and to a budget, a lot of this because their own money and capital is on the line if they get it wrong.

For a local authority, they need the expertise anyway, so will pay for it, but have none of the incentive for the project to stay on schedule or on budget.

When this was tried in NI, it ended up more expensive, pretty much everyone (but blinkered SF supporters) understand that putting this onto the LA will be a budgetary disaster and to compound this, SF are blocking most builds because they want the LA to do it (with none of it costed apparently or at least none that is easily accessible as seen by the dodge, dip, duck, dive and dodging the supporters perform whenever asked to provide figures, though I see you're trying to ask others to do the work of Sinn Féin for you, which is a new tactic).

Advertisement