Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cost of living

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭jolivmmx

Funnily enough, these same people get really upset by the most trivial matters. Oh, little Mary is switching her college course. Oh how terrible! They lack perspective.

They expect us to sympathise with the difficulty of only being able to holiday in Europe this Easter, and yet they think nothing of telling us to ration our heating and tighten our belt.

A mutual friend of mine is genuinely hard-up. She was worried about this man and his wife. Apparently, P&L was down. I had to completely admonish my friend. Poor to her means walking instead of taking the bus/beans on toast. Poor for these people means not upgrading their 2020 Merc Jeep. Yet, my soft-hearted friend falls hook, line and sink for the poor-mouth tale of the rich

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Or has small children or is obsessed with not being cold. Know households where heating is set to be on 24 hours at this time of year. Granted thermostats control that but usage is way higher now than say May or June, not helped by the fact that some people want to be in shorts and t-shirt all year round at home!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,032 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

In fairness, there's quite a lot of fake poverty in this country.

I see it all the time, people who are complaining they can't pay their utilities, but yet have expensive cars, latest smartphone, best clothes etc. You name it they have it. But still classify themselves as part of the working poor.

There's a huge problem of keeping up with the jone's in this little nation of ours. As a result, many people cannot tell the difference between an essential expense and a luxury expense anymore. The lines have been blurred in this regard for many people.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I hate how fg keep getting rewarded for all the pain they're inflicting on people. In government 11 years now. Whatever about other parties but I hate to see failure being rewarded.

You have to laugh though. Inflation hits five percent and government bring in emergency measures to bring it down.

Yet up until this year they supported a 4% increase in rent every year where rents were already astronomical. Explain that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Spoiled as a nation.

Think we have it so hard yet have no idea how good it is compared to most countries.

I mean name another country where you get handed the keys to a brand new fully furnished 3 bed house for 40 euro a week?

What's with the focus on pensioners? In my view pensioners are the most well off group in the country!

No mortgage. 250 a week pension. Loads of allowances, electricity and gas allowance, fuel allowance, no TV licence fee, no commuting costs, free public travel, no car debt probably.

Always loads of money left in the bank to leave to children when they die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭J_1980

Had to get a plumber to fix my valve, 3 week wait. Not enough plumbers around. Guy’s in 50k + weekend cash in hand mate jobs.

As long as there’s such a shortage Inhave very little sympathy for the less well off. This isn’t the recession 2012, there’s literally and endless stream of well paying jobs out there. All it takes an ounce of willingness to better yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Kids are forced to attend university instead of training for a plumbing job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Who2

A lad said to me one day to turn the trades into a five year degree and they will be queuing up for them. There are loads going for electrical with a share going for plumbing but going forward the other trades have nearly stopped.

Yes the same way as according to Ben Giltoy people were “forced” to take out mortgages lol

It’s a choice. College lifestyle over grinding a tough job. Simple as.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

So because you have to wait three weeks to get a valve fixed you think all it takes is an ounce of willingness to solve unemployment by retraining to become a plumber.

It takes four years to qualify as a plumber. We lost a lot of our qualified building tradespeople post the 2008 construction bust when there was no work for them here. Substantial numbers emigrated to where there was work for them. That's why there is a shortage, not because people are unwilling.

I know it takes a while. You can be fully qualified at 22. Given the age pyramid in Eastern Europe the risk of future unemployment is very low in that profession.

better than doing some social science nonsense or becoming another nutritionist….

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

You sound like someone who doesn't keep an eye on their spending and are reckless with your money if you haven't noticed an increase in your shopping bills. Unless you don't do the grocery shopping in your household, your parents do maybe?

There are increase across the board that any person good with budgeting would have noticed. Just back from Tesco myself, what was notable for me was an increase in burger buns I sometimes buy from €2.50 to €3. A 20% increase.

Also a substantial increase in Tesco brand tomato ketchup and mayonnaise. Every day things that normal people purchase. Pasta also gone from 50c to 70c.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

Some people are more flexible though, and they'll eat whatever the cheaper things are on the shelf. If you can't find cheap stuff in tesco and aldi etc, you're not doing it right tbh.

Some things have definitely gone up, no doubt, but I just stop buying those things and buy an alternative.

Burger buns are complete waste of money anyway btw. lol I mean, if you consider how little bread is actually in them for the price.

(I realize in most circumstances people are not buying them for their value obviously)

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

All Tesco own brand products are increasing in price though, likewise in Aldi and Lidl.

If you don't realise that then you don't pay attention to what you are spending. Or you are just being argumentative for the sake of being argumentative.

You highlight my comment on burger buns - fair enough, a luxury product, but you ignore my comment on own brand Tesco tomato ketchup, mayonnaise and pasta. They're the cheapest 'alternative' on the shelf and have increased in price. So the grocery bills have increased no matter how you shop around. The only way they haven't is if you are cutting back on your purchases - i.e. the cost of living increase has forced you to make do with less stuff with more money. Which is the whole point of this discussion.

Although I see where this is going. You're going to tell me that I'm wasting money and should be making my own ketchup, maynoinasse and pasta - and grow my own vegetables and whatnot (which I do, I'm extremely frugal).

I do see where you are coming from in terms of encouraging people to shop around - 100% agree with you that there are serious savings to be made. Regardless though I don't see how anyone who is buying the cheapest things available at the moment is paying the same as this time last year. It's just not possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭harmless

Could we try to get to the bottom of the €600 electricity bill? This would be the best way to help the OP.

OP, how much are you paying per KWH?

We are most certainly not reckless and do take care. Yes have noticed price rises, but 95% of our meals are prepared from scratch. Buy staples in bulk. 20 kg brown rice and 20kg white rice. Flour and ingredients. The shop varies week to week according to special offers. Buy next to no alcohol, never go near the biscuit/sweet aisle. The only foodstuffs that are really going up are the ones that the vat rates would be higher on.

Also have noticed the price of heating oil and electric has gone up but with the mildest winter i can remember, parodoxically heating bills are less

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

€200 off the esb bill shortly it all helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,677 ✭✭✭✭fits

People on level pay plans can get big balances building up over the winter. Especially with the price rises.

• Advertisement

The immersion must be on flat out.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

Lets use your example. Fictional scenario.

Ok. So, I'm 50. I want to better myself. I decide to become a plumber as there's a shortage and I'll make a fortune when I'm qualified.

How do I go about becoming a plumber, at 50? By the way, I've a wife and 2 kids under 15 so even if I can get a builder to take me on as an apprentice, I won't be able to feed my kids, pay my rent etc. on an apprentice's wages.

I'd agree thaat there's lots of jobs out there, but they are mostly at the lower end of the scale. It's quite difficult to get a well paying job unless you are highly skilled in an area that requires your skills.

At the moment any one that can hold a hammer not to mind use it can get a construction job. Agency €37.50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Labouring per hour keep up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

I can safely say that is not the rate for labouring agency or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭redlad12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

The idea that fracked gas is particularly damaging is a myth. Its environmental impact is similar to normal gas. It is just misinformation like documentary 'Gasland' that has given rise to this lie. In terms of net impact, fracked gas has been overwhelming good for the environment through allowing less coal to be used advancing decarbonisation and massive improvements in air quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Another 10 years working for an established plumber, you aren't going to set up by yourself a day after finishing an apprenticeship

Trades are on €80 plus an hour, I can safely say you haven’t a clue.

• Advertisement

The reality is most of the people in the country are idiots.

I've been house sharing for a decade. I've had about 12 people in and out during that time. Around 3 of them are sensible. Common sense really isn't common. I really can't get over how clueless people are. I've had a housemate blast me because the landing light (40w bulb) was left on overnight one time. The same person filled the kettle to the brim every time they wanted a cup of tea. I calculated it roughly that just 3 days of her tea making would result in an excess use of electricity equal to the landing light left on accidentally one night.

The same person would go around the house in t shirts complaining how it's cold and then they'd turn on the heat.

I have a housemate who I have told every year that the immersion doesn't need to be turned on as much as during the summer because the boiler heats the water during the winter yet every winter without fail it's still on for hours a day and the water in the tank is boiling hot.

I've got a million similar examples of people being absolutely clueless fools wasting energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

You go in at Grade 3 Clerical Officer. Once you are in you can move up the grades quite quickly. Degree or not.

You know it’s possible to have an energy efficient warm house and not have to wear heavy clothing inside right? Invaluable when you’re up at 5:30 with small boy. Our living / kitchen area is 20 degrees all the time. I know we are fortunate but everyone would be more comfortable in well insulated houses with modern heating systems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

The five 5e items for 20e offer in Gleesons butchers for years is now five for 22e.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Your view and reality are two different things. Beyond a few minor things most support from the state is means tested and goes to people who are deemed to be in need. And on top of this most will have helped out their kids to 'get on the property ladder' so it is very unlikely that they have wads of money to fall back on as you think. On top of this they are on a fixed income, so no chance of asking for a pay rise, never even mind getting one. But as long as you are OK....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Do you even begin to realise that it takes intelligence, a flare for hand work, commitment and support for a young person's family as well as several years of experience to become tradesman.....

But you are right, this is not the recession of 2012, but then again 2012 was a minor bump in comparison to what some of us have lived through. The current situation has the potential to drive us back into a 1980s style recession when inflation ran at 21% and we had double digit unemployment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

On a site? Not a hope.

Labourers are getting about 18-20 and hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,608 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Some people really like money though. You'll always have plumbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,145 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

now all we need is the money to make all this happen!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,608 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Any tradesman even within sight of 20 an hour is being ridden sideways.

I was referring to a tradesman getting 80 an hour, they aren't. Contractors would be but not employed tradesmen.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

Local electrician near me charges €40 per hour.

Well that's their own fault for giving their kids "wads of cash" to get on the property ladder then? Why should I feel sorry for them?

And my point still stands. The money they get is still plenty to live off. I, a young person, wouldn't even spend 250 a week if I didn't have rent or mortgage to pay.

Come on, tell me where pensioners are spending 250+ a week?

No idea why you're saying they're on fixed income either. The pension goes up every year. The fuel allowance has been increased and the timeframe has been extended. Pensioners are the most wealthy group in Ireland. Same pensioners whinging about not being able to pay for heating are the same people with 50k hidden under a mattress.

On large civil jobs they are. We are not talking about Mickey Mouse stuff here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Just saved the following over the last few days

32 euro per month - mortgage protection

15 euro per month - broadband

45 euro per month - Esb

I'm sure I could trim down in other areas too but that's not bad for an hours works or.

Take out coffees, takeaways are you going to slim those down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Eh i dont know. Id have maybe 2 a week as a little treat @ 2.30 each. I think its important to have little things like that.

I could look at energy consumption in house with tumple dryer running most days and an electric shower being used 2 times a day. Ive been looking at an A rated pumped dryer for a while now. Might be time to take the plunge. A hell of a lot more efficient than the old one here.

I think the point im making is its not overly difficult to save a hundred quid a month by switching etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Are you factoring in the price of the dryer?

There's no real saving if it's going to take years to recoup on the purchase. That is where all the Green arguments seem to fall down, spend €50k to save €50 a month, doesn't make any economical sense

Yeah I know it’s not simple just wanted to point out there’s nothing wrong with a bit of comfort at home.

• Advertisement
Advertisement