Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power [Amazon] *Spoilers*

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

That's what exactly my first though; how come every single person is at best mid 20s? Is it some attempt to make it a teenage love romp or did they simply not show of the older characters? Based on how WoT fell on it's face (esp. considering the base material was there, the budget was there etc.) I'm not having high hopes to be honest but at least they appear to have spent some money on getting the backgrounds right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

as a huge lotr fan for decades I’m getting no sense of excitement or anticipation from this series.

It looks like it’s going to be some mess tbh

Same shooting style as WoT.

Where is she being lit from? Is there another, brighter, solid light source at the 7 o' clock position.

The cinematograph, in WoT, was really off putting and this entire trailer feels the same

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I just hate any Prequel ideas, there's no suspense, we all know where the story will end up.

Then we should never adapt any book because we know the ending?

The 2nd Age is far from lazy adaption material. This is different from Star Wars shoe horning crap into canon, or Star Trek Enterprise making a new Earth attacking enemy we've never heard of (even though it was getting very good at the end)

This is a meticulously crafted universe with every story arc painstakingly laid out and is all the same story. If anything can be a prequel it's The LOTR.

Decisions to change Tolkien's vision WILL be disaster, though.

Regardless of my very bad feeling about the direction of the showrunners, I'd be delighted to see a good adaption.

Hell, the movies are over 20 years old, at this stage. There is an entire generation who may not even have seen them... (May explain said showrunner decisions, actually)

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭orecir

I have a bad feeling about this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,146 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Well that trailer isn't getting me too excited.

Lets be honest, the film trilogy has left such a high bar to reach, it simply won't be reached.

I was excited until their adaption of Wheel of Time. Then I was just a bit wary.

Earlier promo material compounded it and this trailer has me worried, to be honest.

Yeah I'm a book reader but I was no purist. I loved the films as a good an adaption as we could get. My only gripes, with them, were that they did Gimli's noble character something rotten and how they treated Saruman's end. So I am well up for a 2nd Age adaption which is even richer in lore than the 3rd, but still...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I genuinely don't see the logic here for comparison, given both shows posess completely separate production teams AFAIK. I get being wary of the trailer 'cos it just doesn't do anything for you ... but why draw a comparison with an entirely different show, bar the obvious genetic lineage shared?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,921 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

What's CW?

Anyway here's a dissection of the trailer for anyone interested. Not sure how he knows for sure who is who...

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cannonballTaffyOjones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Stopped watching at "woke disaster".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Your loss because he's actually correct in this case where that's the stated goal is not to stay true to material, use it correctly (female dwarf without beard, again...) but simply to try to twist it for political signal politics instead as stated by the director (the strongest feminist powerful character has to wear plate mail and sword and be a tomboy etc.). This is exactly what went wrong with the Discworld adaption as well; turning some incredible powerful female characters into parodies of what they think a strong female lead should be (i.e. female batman) rather than actually show the strength that was already there. And it's already being lined up that any criticism of not following the material or lore, adding new characters for the sake of it etc. is all because you're a racist white misogynist who don't like colored people in the series. Exactly as they did with WoT, Ghostbuster 2016 etc. as well when in reality it's polluting a good story with signal politics ruining the story and the show. Then when it does bad it's because "people are racists" when in reality it's because no, you did a **** story telling by ramming in something not needed into the story in a hamfisted way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

"Geek culture" is now such that when I see a YouTube presenter with the big podcast mic, the "webcam" presentation setup, the background of a room full of merch, that overt presentation of "fanboy" ... I just can't take their opinion seriously. Ironically it screams inauthenticity, combined with trotting out the same, tired argument over woke this and - it's just boring. Twice over for a show not even released yet that you could even seriously argue a 20-minute video has merit; it can't or doesn't possess any more legitimacy than our quickly-typed opinions here - but that's the Era of Content. Always Be Commenting.

Book adaptations are as old as TV and cinema itself and I've witnessed my fair share of both borderline sacrilegious adaptations - or indeed sublime ones. Currently watching "Reacher" for instance, where that Amazon show made the effort to make the hulking Jack Reacher more physically accurate than Tom Cruise's cinematic version. So it's not like the physical appearance doesn't always matter; but in that case, Reacher was meant to be a giant, muscular creature people underestimated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,233 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I cant tell what story this is meant to be telling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

After reading your explanation I'm even more convinced that I lost nothing. By the way, using the term "coloured people" doesn't help your argument.

The only way to know what value or merit the show has... is to watch it and see. Anything else - trying to parse the meaning of the obvious hype a production team will talk up, or diving into the ethnicity of its cast - is pointless.

Let's watch the show, as divorced from bias and minds made up as possible. Anything else is just time wasted. Or waffle, as in the case of listening to what producers or cast have to say about the show. Proof of the pudding n' all.

My worries come from studio direction and influence, to be honest. There "appears" to be a common thread in look and visual decisions. I'm not cancelling my Prime over a trailer but I'm not excited by that

As in what is the CW or what makes it feel CW, to me?

This.

I will give it a fair run, being honest it being LOTR I will give it more than that to find its footing, but I can not feel a little apprehensive with their fantasy adaption to date.

Your Reacher point is spot on but it also highlights where deviating from a core aspect of the author's intent often has large ramifications.

First Reacher film was a very entertaining Tom Cruise vehicle and I liked it a lot, as a smart action film, but as a reader of the books I had to completely separate the two.

I don't want to have to do this with LOTR because, well, it's bloody well LOTR. When we look at how meticulous Tolkein was, in the appendices/Unfinished Works/Silmarilian and how it all comes together I get nervous when some showrunners seem to be deciding that their vision is better.

I'm well able to be proven wrong; I dislike Star Wars (all of it). I think its premise of the Dark/Light is weak and hated the rules the Jedi had to live by. On the other hand I think that The Mandalorian is one of the best things on TV, right now, and have waited for Bobba Fett to release all episodes before starting to watch.

I'm hoping that this proves me wrong also, it's too early to make any concrete views on this but I am a bit nervous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Nerdrotic is actually a channel that I would recommend if one is into reviews/opinion on pop stuff - the guys (comic/book fan who used to own comic book store for 10 years in LA) is actually open minded and welcome criticism and yes his criticism is sharp and brutal (and he is often quite right on the big pile of woke sh!t from recent years). He is the guy who coined "MSheU" aha.

And ya i couldn't care less to the source material (e.g. black elf, dwarf women beard etc), nothing to disrespect Tolkein because i am actually cool with whatever hell the team came up with - but ya jesus christ don't literally go against the original writer's intention on the world settings etc etc. Is like the 2016 Ghostbuster - some people can go on to make their story if they want to do XYZ rather than literally ruin some other (great) original works.

So ya even if i couldn't care less on the modernized/woke crap, it has been proven again and again that if the production doesn't respect the source material - chances is low we will get a decent product. Is like the writers forget how to write a decent story for characters while they are too busy on ticking the boxes for those PC woke crap. My expectation was "ok lets see..." and then now "oh well...".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadHand

As a person who happily devoured JRR's work as a child, it saddens me to see his visions misrepresented to serve contemporary political agendas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,921 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,247 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The network who make the Arrow-verse, The 100 and the like. They have a very similar colour palette and shooting style across a lot of their productions (along with much angst thrown in)

This will be the thing that tanks the show. Its already a zeitgeist for a cultural/woke PC battleground so the actual content is irrellevant.

Damn shame. Was interested by the idea of a show but alas.

Wait a fecking second. I've been staying away from any plot materials (did not want spoilers)...

Is that actually

That is Galadriel?

And new characters??

New characters? There were so many characters in the Trilogy that they had to condense some into a single Arwen. What the hell do we need with new characters and (potentially so) new plot?

Because the writers have said outright that "Can we come up with the novel Tolkien never wrote and do it as the mega-event series that could only happen now?". Yes, of course they can be as good writers as Tolkien and tell a story Tolkien has not written; who ever would doubt their ability seeing that they only got one failed movie credited to them in total... And the answer is Yes to your questions due to the above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I wonder if this series doesn't do well will that finish off any interest in any both middle earth adaptions. Messing with adaptions doesn't usually bode well- the Hobbit films were particularly terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,146 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

From my kids watching YouTube presenters, I know that there will be hundreds of hours of chat now about less than 60sec of a trailer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Tbh, just need to look at the WoT series to know that it's very likely Amazon will butcher this too. I've zero faith in them after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Another guy who gets it. . Interesting that his video has far more likes than the actual trailer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,257 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

So, I've never been hyped for this. I don't trust Amazon (or many other studios) to do justice to Tolkeins world.

But are people really getting mad about there being black Elves? And a female Dwarf without a beard?

Like it'd be nice to see all Dwarves with beards, but that's hardly 'woke', it's just lazy.

Yep. The main character of this thing is a Battle Warrior-version of Galadriel, for some baffling reason.

Fùck knows why as Galadriel never fought wars.

This show is supposedly set in the 2nd Age where in actuality Galadriel basically spent her whole time using mostly her own ridiculously powerful magic (and not her ring) to keep Sauron the hell away from Lóthlorien.

Sauron didn't even dare challenge her there as she was one of the few things he was truly scared of. She never fell for his crap as Annatar and had warned Celebrimbor not to trust him.

And in the first age she didnt even believe it was worth trying to fight Morgoth at all as he was just too powerful.

This "Warrior Galadriel" doesnt fit anywhere and is horrifically out of character.

Another good take ..

They are writing the tale that Tolkein couldn't?

Oh crap. I'm out, honestly, as I don't want to just be negative throughout the entire thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

It is probably lucky that youtube doesn't allow downvotes to be visible on that trailer. Wheel of time was god awful and changed a lot from the original source material but still seemed to get good viewership figures so perhaps these sorts of controversy sells.

Its easy just to depict youtube geek culture negative commentators as the cliched comic book guys we've seen in the Simpsons, The Big Bang theory and Spaced so their sometimes legitimate concerns are ignored.

I got a feeling WoT will struggle with viewership numbers in the second season simply because there were quite a few "Meh" comments coming from the non book readers that I've seen after season 1 and not a "omfg best series ever!" to it. Add in the non book readers and book readers not engaged or liking it and who's exactly left to increase the viewership? This series however has a much bigger hill to climb because they have already committed to five seasons; what happens if season 1 struggles and fails to draw in people let alone season 2 and 3 etc.?

Apparently thats the pitch.

But then they are dragging Galadriel, Dain IV, Elrond, Celebrimbor, Isildur and others into it so they are trying to be original while dragging characters from the actual Tolkien stories into it....

I cant see it working at all like literally none of it can be within an arsès roar of being anyway canonical to anything in Middle Earth so whats the point?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Oh FFS SJW woke virtue-signalling wally-bending elven-biasing LGBTQing snarf-nerfing Poodle-pandering....

The WORLD IS ENDING!!!! Black Elves!!!!! POSSIBLY strong female characters!!!

Abandon hope all ye who enter after 1 min of screentime

I'll wait. I'll watch. I'll make up my own mind and not just to conclusions based upon my own preconceptions or prejudices. I am looking forward to check this out and giving it a fighting chance.

Imagine. Not all cast members in Jackson's trilogy were from Wales/England area. And yet it still worked. Hobbiton? My GOD!!! It wasn't filmed anywhere NEAR the UK! Minas Tirith? Pretty far from Florence. I blame an antipodal bias!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

What I find hilarious and sad about the uproar around these things is that I guarantee half the people raging wouldn't have had a clue that Galadriel never swung a sword in anger , or in fact given a ****, if their favourite woke obsessed youtuber wasn't telling them to be furious over it.

Yep. Amongst all the "triggered" drivel theres actually perfectly valid reasons why this thing is just an awful concept.

Like if they wanted to an original story in Middle Earth then sure give it a shot. A bit weird not to try and adapt one of the many many stories yet unadapted but ok I'd give it a shot and see.

But WTF is the point of dragging Galadriel and other existing characters into it? Thats just a strange pointless bástardised story.

And I have to correct @TheIrishGrover this "Warrior Galadriel" is an incredibly nerfed and insulting version of the actual Galadriel rather than "possibly strong female character". Galadriel was probably the strongest female by a distance in Middle Earth in Tolkiens actual work.

Well, I was just commenting on the "Uproar" online (feverish Youtubers) about woke this and agenda-pushing that. People claiming "I'LL NEVER WATCH THIS WOKE CATASTROPHY!!!!!!EXCALAMATIONMARK!!!"and then bemoan the lack of Fantasy on TV.

As for the inclusion of Elrond and Galadriel, while it may be inconsistent with the books, one must remember that these are adaptations and they need to have as much crossover appeal as possible to gather as big an audience as possible. This may be distasteful for some but it is purely a business decision. You must remember, as popular as the books are, they are trying to reach a MUCH bigger audience. Hence the inclusion of "Oh cool, it's a younger version of yer man from the movie". They need a way to lure people in. The movies were MASSIVELY popular of course, and Game of Thrones was also hugely popular. But they can't go down the Thrones hardcore sex and violence avenue and, let's ne honest, LoTR would be pretty damn high on the "nerrrrrrrrrd" scale.

They will also want the ability to tap into the lore. It may not be as deep as one would like but again, business. Ask yourself, if it was a choice of having Galadriel nd Elrond in and actually have a series or have to abandon the series if they had to stick too slavishly to the lore, which would you prefer? (And I'm not saying you want them to stick slavishly to Lore).

So, in my opinion, it is a forgivable inclusion. (Unlike Legolas' inclusion in The Hobbit trilogy or.... y'know, the Hobbit trilogy in general)

If they wanted to use Elrond and Galadriel they needed to respect the actual characters.

Like I'm not sure how much crossover appeal that those characters can offer at this point. Its not like Weaving or Blanchett or even any footage of them from the first trilogy is even going to be used. And more importantly, whatever about Elrond and his characterisation this Galadriel is from an utterly different universe to the version fans of the Trilogy would know.

They'd have got the crossover effect by simply being a work of Tolkiens. If they wanted an original story then just use original characters.

This is exactly the same as using Legolas as a "crossover" to link the trilogies. (And I dont think that pleased anyone be they readers or not as he just stuck out badly). Tauriel wasn't as problematic as she had no lore so wasnt badly out of place as a character (although there wasnt a need for so many hours of Elves in the movies).

While the length of the Hobbit trilogy was questionable overall it managed not to break any lore or have any daft retcons (Legolas aside). Like the Dol Goldur parts had no reason to happen in a Hobbit movie BUT those events were true at least.

I wouldn't have minded an original tale and them ignoring lore if thats what they went for but its not, it can't be original and then use actual characters that have decades of lore attached......its moronic. They failed to decide if they wanted original or lore and have done neither.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,432 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Spot on analysis by the Critical Drinker.

Another Mary Sue female lead, no thanks.

The showrunners for this don't seem to have had many previous scripts developed, they wrote Jungle Cruise, and their script for Star Trek Beyond was ditched inplace of that heap of dung by Simon Pegg.

The trailer looks visually cheap, with poor cgi and ungraded video. Its not using grit and sepia'd tones to convoy a realistic world. Everything looks artificial.

Bear Mc Creary seems to be one of the few positives.

Post edited by MisterAnarchy on

• Advertisement

Guess it's good to have an open mind and give something a chance. At LEAST more than one minute. I'll give it a fair chance.

Just out of curiosity, what WOULD people want?

Do people want one similar in tone and look of Peter Jackson's Rings trilogy?

Do people want a gritty and grimy "reasism" of Game of Thrones?

Do people want it to focus on a established storyline and stick closely to that?

Or do they want a 100% isolated storyline just set in this world?

I'm genuinely curious because I believe that people will want different things.

Post edited by TheIrishGrover on

Well the biggest thing would be either original story OR canon story for a start.

After that I'd give either a go as I love Tolkiens world. Just not this bâstardised middle of nowhere gack.

You can add chrome extensions to show downvotes ...

not surprisingly this is getting ratiod .. ...

I'll go with their stated goal to make it a modern day story with inclusion and trying to represent a wide background I'd go with something not explored previously. Go into the south lands; do multi season arch of why they are pissed at Gondor and why they join Sauron and how they march to the war (yes that's not second age I'm well aware). Explore the background to how they got involved in the war, why they aligned "with the bad guy" so to speak and flesh them out from the current generic "evil people who ride elephants" as well as why they are pissed off at Gondor / West in general. You can even run parallels with Gondor being USA importing slaves from Africa or the opium war with China if you really want to meta it up from a story perspective set up.

That would be a fresh area without running into massive lore issues while giving both book and non book readers something to dive into and discuss, speculate etc. without having the "Well on page 47 it said ..." etc. It would give a common theme to speculate around without the book readers having the plot outlines already but allows the book readers to fill in gaps that might not come over to a non book reader. You can have the season 5 be all about the march over and have it basically end right before the battles; you can do tie over to the lord of the ring movies with the scene when their forces are seen marching and comment about "Well they are only children" when they spot the hobbits and decide to ignore them kind of thing. That would be something new, it would run into very limited lore issues AND it would allow a fresh set of hands to actually build something new and unique into the franchise. You can easily spot in famous characters coming to a meeting etc. but they are not the focus of the story here and throw in the (apparently) mandatory love story line there as well without it feeling out of place and you end season 5 with a charge representing the charge in the movie basically. For me that would be something new, they would have a relatively blank slate to work with (they have the milestones of joining the war and Sauron etc.) as well as being something unique and capture the interest of both book and non book readers. You can easily mix in dwarfs, elves etc. as well but the main meta story will be about the humans down there.

Post edited by Nody on

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Terence Rattigan

Hoping against hope that this will be good, but signs aren`t promising.

National Lampoon brought out a parody of LOTR many moons ago, Bored of the Rings, very funny, its up in the attic somewhere!

• Advertisement
Advertisement