Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid booster efficacy wanes substantially by fourth month - Study

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Whose the mug? LON for reporting the research? You for misunderstanding what he said or me for pointing it out?

If you can think of answers to any of the questions I asked in the last post, be sure to let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

If you're honestly saying that he was just reporting on the study and making predictions in that clip, you're being extremely disingenuous. He's practically gushing about this study and all its data, all of which turned out to be bollocks like most things out of his mouth.

By the way, where are the clips of him reporting the less positive studies, if he's just a reporter?

Ah. You've made another mistake - they're really piling up. He wasn't making predictions, he reproted a study which made predictions. Of course he's gushing about the study. If it turns out to be accurate then it was great news for all of us. But he was just reporting what they said, NOT "making predictions" of his own, as you suggested.

I suppose it depends on how much you know about science. I follow various science news a fair bit so I hear a reporter reporting on one study and I say "oh. That's interesting, I wonder if it will turn out to be true or not because it would be exciting if its true". You seem to have heard him reporting a study and mistakenly heard HIM make a prediction.

I'd ask you of you think LON personally made a prediction in the clip above but I've asked you a few questions in the posts before this and you haven't appeared able to respond to any of them so far. But if you could answer that one, it would clear up a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,708 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I've read a lot of positive news about fusion recently, I expected I'll still be reading a lot of positive news about it next decade and probably the decade after that :)

• Advertisement

And for the last few decades if you were paying attention back then, but there have been a lot of reports of various breakthroughs in the last year or 2. It's a complicated process and there will be numerous breakthroughs in the coming years and it is still decades off being in commercial use, if ever. But what do you want? Would you prefer nobody ever reports on the breakthroughs until the technology is ready to use, or do you want to hear about the breakthroughs even though the technology won't be in commercial use for decades?

I suppose this is the same as this issue Some people can hear a report of a breakthrough in fusion technology and also read all the way to the end of the article where they say fusion technology is still decades away. Other people read the headline and then think they've been short changed when the technology isn't online in the neat future. Likewise, some people listen to the LON interview linked above and hear what he actually said and know he's reporting new research and reporting their predictions. Others listen to it half-arsed and think he's making a prediction so he's an eejit if it doesn't turn out to be true. Depends on how well you can listen and understand what you're being told.

I was agreeing, I was reading it optimistically a couple of decades ago as well :) (though it looks like recent breakthroughs may actually push things forward, I was using it as an example more than anything, scientists are generally optimists).

Ah, I picked you up wrong. I thought you were giving out that there were supposed breakthroughs but it's still decades away.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Sweden recommends fourth Covid shot for over 80s (rte.ie)

Will the Swedes go for more age groups once their O80s are boosted for a second time (fourth injection)?

Interesting to see Sweden not follow the EMA here (unless I've missed an EMA approval?), is there a spike of elderly deaths they're aimed at reducing? I've predicted an annual booster, hopefully (based on SARS-COV2 not being as impactful) being aimed at older more vulnerable age groups likely voluntary for all. Sweden seem to have a "choose your own pandemic" thing going on, will the "be like Sweden" crowd want to follow them with a 4th shot so soon?

• Advertisement

This is an interesting thread. I'm surprised there aren't more posts.

What are your thoughts Danno? Do you think that booster waning means we are heading for another rocky time of it? I'm delighted that everything feels normal again but..... maybe it's all the false starts that has me still slightly uneasy.

Or maybe somewhere in the back of my mind is the thought that Covid has another trick up its sleeve.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

It's hard to know for sure Diamond... perhaps immunity from Omicron will put a dent in circulation in the medium term. Will another variant arise, if so - has Omicron provided enough immunity to make that variant a walk in the park?

Great to have relative normality back all the same, pity it has took this long to get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

Thanks for posting.

I’m actually a little stunned at how perfectly this video illustrates the “misinformation” issue.

Like, Luke actually crows about how YouTube are to take down videos with alternative opinions. To leave the field clear for the baloney he’s coming out with.

”Two suits of armour”. “The most powerful antibodies”. FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,751 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Fourth doses for immunocompromised , or for those considered immunocompromised by their treating doctor due to conditions and/ or medications eg.some diabetics and asthmatics, being rolled out now . Those people are getting texts from HSE that they need to get their booster dose 3 months after their additional dose or after recovering from Covid .

This is not unexpected tbh , except the " post recovery " shot . I would have thought that that would have been considered an extra boost in itself but appears they're taking no chances with this group .

He reports what a recently published research article has said, and used a metaphor to illustrate the points. What's wrong with that?

I'd imagine that we won't really know until next winter arrives. If we can get through the winter without restrictions then hopefully we're in the clear. I'd say there's a good chance they'll want us to take a booster to be prepared and try to avoid any restrictions even if a new variant arises again this winter.

But it's all guesswork at this stage. Anyone who tells you what WILL happen, is just overestimating their knowledge and probably wishful thinking. Everyone else hopes that the virus gets weaker (or is effectively weaker against a vaccinated population), well just have to wait and see if that actually happens. With a bit of luck, it does happen and there will be no need for restrictions this winter or ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

That’s like saying “he uses a semi-colon in the manner endorsed by Fowler’s Modern English Usage. What’s wrong with that?”

Honestly, I've no idea what that means. What does it mean?

Would you like to try answering my question?

Advertisement