Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,891 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭jolivmmx

I am sorry, but how is this the top comment on thejournal. I have never met an Irish person in real life who speaks like that

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

They knew the potential consequences of even talking about joining NATO. They went ahead and did it anyway, I have no sympathy for that level of stupidity.

Just like the US knows the consequences of continuing to edge eastward with NATO.

If you wave a red rag to a bull, you'll probably get the horns. The west mistakenly thought Russia didn't have any horns left... they were wrong. Very wrong!

And now the rest of Europe has to live with the consequences of that stupidity and arrogance. What a fantastic world we live in, eh!? 🙄

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭josip

Exactly. They'll put up something controversial so that gullible people react to it and forward on links that others will click on and generate revenue.

There is nothing new in this. My cousin has work in National and Local Radio in Ireland since 1990. She says that everywhere she worked, the off-peak hosts would have a pool of people who would call in at the start of a show with a controversial viewpoint on a common topic. People who would otherwise have tuned in and tuned out would then get on the phone to react and be vested in the show for much longer than they would otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Do you ever imagine there will be a World where there isn’t at least one or two big bullies? Where there isn’t a common enemy that some focus on in unison?

My “better the devil you know” default view has been that USA are a better bully (certainly from an Irish perspective) to be beside then the Chinese or Russian alternatives. I’m not sure I would be confident we will ever see a world that’s fully peaceful or balanced. Doesn’t make the USA morally superior by any stretch, the country is in many regards a cesspit of corruption, xenophobia, hypocrisy and racism.

But in spite of that, you need only look at the last 50 years that some would say to be among the most peaceful from a global perspective in human history (“under the hammer of USA”). There’s 8 times the population there was 200 hundred years ago, which suggests that humans have been thriving on some level. For me that’s just because Humans corrupt everything.

There’s always going to be some worse off then others and why should they just be happy with not having what they want? Brexit and Trump were small examples of those pockets hitting back. But they appear to be happy dragging everybody down in efforts to get what they want without much care for consequences. I see the same here with Putin. Playing war games, probably just to keep himself in power under the “make Russia great again” mantra. Unless of course you think Putins goals are altruistic ?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Ahherelads2022

PAUL NILAND...The curious case of.

This guy seems to be the random "man on the street". Just an Irish guy in Ukraine who bump's into a journalist.

The problem is he is one of the biggest shills for Western media. He always seems to appear when the independent need a story, all his previous "jobs" were anti Russian in nature. Hardly impartial.

This guy needs a thread of his own. He was a property developer and having Ukraine join the EU will make him very rich.

One of the organisers of the Orange revolution was at his wedding when he married in Ireland.

We are not allowed to send text-messages without a number. People realised the chaos if this was the case. It seems to me that a lot of social media’s problems could be solved with identification of an individual. I cannot go on the street , espousing heinous views or committing crime in a complete clandestine number. We need a robust passport system for travelling. I cannot understand why we do not need the same process and identification for posting.

For all anybody knows, I could be writing this from the end of the world, with a nefarious political agenda. Or I could be some random Irish person, writing this from my place in Dublin. Truth is, there is no way to tell. That is a problem. There is no way to accurately assess my motivation behind such an opinion

I wouldn't call it stupid at all. Ukraine has been appeasing Moscow long before this and got nothing in return except for Kremlin-backed klepocrats and a stagnant economy. For the last decade they've been the constant target of highly aggressive interference. Putin has always wanted control of Kiev which is a secret to no one and those actions have naturally driven the Ukrainians to want join NATO. Moscow is now using that as a "pretext" to threaten the country with invasion, using potential NATO membership as a twisted validation of that invasion

TLDR - Constantly try to control country, country seeks to join defensive pact, threaten invasion because country is seeking to join the pact.

I don't buy the west as being the "better devil". I think there is plenty of evidence to show they are dragging the world into a bad place. You only have to look at how America's society is being pulled apart at the seams, to see that their vision of the future is not working. Yet we are too arrogant to see our own faults in the west.

I do think Putin has some altruistic goals for his own country and the wider region. But he obviously has to wade through an ocean of corruption to get anything done in the post soviet Russia and wider a field. As a result, he is far from squeaky clean himself. He does recognize the real face of the west, however, which gives him a unique vantage point as an outsider looking in. I think he learns from western mistakes, probably better than any other leader around currently.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

• Advertisement

What nations do you think are doing it better than the West?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shillyshilly

they expressed interest in joining NATO in the 90's (along with the EU).

They made formal notification of intent to join in 2002.

Everyone on the Russian side like to gloss over these facts and try to make out this is just a new development pushed by the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

What you are saying is that Ukraine deserves it.

What an awful perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

"Deserves it", those are your own words not his.

Imagine if Dev had joined a military alliance with Germany. Do you think Britain would have stood by and let Germany use Irish ports?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Proclaim to be Irish , enjoy freedom and independence , democracy , freedom of speech ,

Then declare Ukraine or other Sovereign states have not the right to the same freedoms and choices,

It's like they want the Ukrainians to be punished for wanting away from Russia

• Registered Users Posts: 8,433 ✭✭✭jmreire

Sure they can Burgerface, I've never said that they could not move their military anywhere they want, but everything is time and context, and when it comes to Russia, and recent history, it's not just the same is it? And when that movement comes with a list of demands....No Burgerface, its not the same thing at all. As for what its got to do with me? This is a free Country, its not Russia , I have an opinion, and I'll express it any way I like, I don't need your permission Comrade. Now I ask you the same question, what's it got to do with you? And none of YOUR blabbing....

Sorry but that's a bit of a bad strawman. There's a lot of mental gymnastics going on here I've noticed.

Russia has invaded Georgia and Ukraine (by proxy). Moscow has demonstrated beyond any doubt it has aggressive designs for Ukraine, no one can deny that. However if Ukraine joins NATO then it will become much more difficult for Putin to implement those aggressive designs on the country. Therefore he is threatening to invade Ukraine, a sovereign nation (in irony you can't invent). Because it wants to join a defensive pact that has never attacked Russia.

It's amazing to see individuals not just avoid criticising Putin over this but using all sorts of dodgy reasoning to actually validate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭MFPM

Yeah I saw that but she's been on that slippery slope for quite a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

I remember when NATO unilaterally bombed Serbia, then later recognized the independence of "Kosovo", a small break away region.

That undermined rules based international order and has set the precedent for Georgia and Ukraine.

• Advertisement

I remember when the Vikings came to Ireland and plundered us. Terrible times. And to think that Denmark, Sweden have the audacity to act as peace-keepers.

Your arguments are circular and irrelevant. At some point, we have to draw a line in the sand. That was then and this is now.

If somebody robs my car, I will be sure to rob somebody else’s car, in a blameless fashion, based on your logic

I have sympathy for the Ukrainian people who are stuck in the middle of this tug-of-war. But not the leadership who brought their nation to this point in history.

You cannot expect Russia to just sit back forever, and accept US domination in their back yard.

The Russians take "not one inch eastward" as their rightful justification for protecting their region. America are not a force for good in the world, so I don't really see why anyone would be pushing for greater US interference in Eastern Europe.

If you want peace in your region, a good rule of thumb is to get rid of the yanks. That's an excellent starting point pretty much anywhere in the world. Their foreign interventions have been an unmitigated disaster for many decades now. Putin is trying his best to play his part in booting them out the door, but the big fat glutinous yanks are not the easiest bunch to shift.... we all need to play our part in telling them to get lost, and mind their own business.

Sorry if I laid it on a bit thick there, with some of you yank ar$e lickers and BidenBots. 🤣

It's all America's fault 🤣👎

My shower broke down this morning. Damn Americans. It’s their fault. It was sold to me by a company that does most of its trade with America. America should have made tougher regulations to prevent them manufacturing and selling me crappy equipment. I had to work overtime last week. Damn Americans! It’s their fault, promoting the capitalist environment. My partner upset me by forgetting Valentine’s. Damn Americans! It’s their fault! They peddled an arbitrary commercial holiday. If it wasn’t for them it wouldn’t exist and I wouldn’t be upset! Damn America indeed

It goes on a lot here, it's bizarre. It's like they've personified a country based on it's entire history. It's like different administrations just don't exist.

"George Bush invaded Iraq, so how can Biden demand that Russia not invade Ukraine? The perceived hypocrisy really annoys me!"

It seems that's all they are really here for, to bash a particular opposing "country" because they've personified it through selective history and now hate it. Also the notion of some "country" being hypocritical seems to annoy them much more than any potential war or casualties or suffering. I've often noticed some only selectively "mourn" the deaths or suffering of people inflicted by the country they hate, but don't seem to bothered by deaths or suffering inflicted by opposing countries. It goes on a lot in these types of threads.

@BluePlanet I remember when NATO unilaterally bombed Serbia, then later recognized the independence of "Kosovo", a small break away region.

Did they just randomly decide to bomb them or was there something else going on ....????

Besides isn't putin currently in the middle of trying to destabilise the situation in Serbia

certain people are attracted to the notion of authoritarian figures. They have a romanticised notion of one voice and no dissent. They imagine that cohesion will follow. There will be a benevolent leader, driving the country forward. Problem is that absolute power corrupts. That one person leading the country will set their agenda to suit their needs. Democracy is the worst of all systems if you exclude the rest.

So many people consistently self-sabotage. The very people who are getting an education for their kids, attending a hospital, being allowed to bitch about the government on Boards, feed their family and travel freely will extol the virtues of a dictatorship.

And my comment about stealing a car? If somebody takes my car, can I steal another person’s car Is that justified?

I suggest you read some of Kant, specifically the Critique of Pure reason. You will understand the fallacy to your argument.

But you are not here to debate or reason. You are here with a questionnable agenda. Nothing I, or anybody else can say to you will change your mind. The art of debate is lost on some. I could argue that the sky is blue. And yet, some would just parrot over and over, but the sky is green. Exhausting!

• Advertisement

Did we get the list of big bad weapons the Russians were planning to park in Ukraine at all ?????

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement