Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

Its amusing that Burger argues that Russia's positioning of 170,000 troops on Ukraines border is random

It implies that the rest of us that aren't putin/communist/shinner bots are eejits

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

You're logic is poor.

In your example the somebody that robbed your car, is now telling someone else that it's wrong to rob a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shillyshilly

so appease Russia at all times, even though they will never do similar, right, gotcha

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shillyshilly

but, but Iraq... WMD's... GWB... blahblah

I'm sure @BurgerFace is going to cream themselves at something like this....

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭jolivmmx

Your versus you’re. You should look up the difference. It looks sloppy. (‘ in the English language refers to the omission of part of a word (in this case are) or the possession of a noun by the previous noun (e.g. John’s bike-> as in the bike of John). Your refers to the possessive determiner and would be the appropriate choice in your above post

Whether or not the person has stolen the car is arbitrary. Are they wrong to say that stealing the car is bad? Sure they stole the car. Nobody will justify that. However, does that absolve the other party of any censure or culpability if they steal another independent third-parties car? Two wrongs don’t make a right. Because we end up falling down a slippery morality slope, if everybody can use past moral precedent to justify future behaviours. Where does it end? Your friend goes on to steal the car? And then does that person steal another car? And another? And another? That is not society. That is chaos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Georgia , Ukraine , Serbia ,Moldova all have separatists directly sponsored by the Kremlin .

Moldova has repeatedly asked Russia to remove it's troops from it's Sovereign state yet Russia refuses to remove it's troops

From an article dated 2016

July 23, 2016, 9:18 AM EDT / Updated July 23, 2016, 9:18 AM EDT

By Mansur Mirovalev

MOSCOW — Britain’s decision to leave the European Union is just the beginning, if some in the Kremlin have their way.

Northern Irish, Scottish, Basque, Catalan and Italian secessionists have been invited to Moscow for a conference, partly funded by Russia, planned for August. They will mingle with Texan, Californian, Puerto-Rican and Hawaiian wannabe-separatists from all over the world, the conference organizer says.

“Our goal is to consolidate efforts based on international legal standards [and] to achieve the very democracy the European Union and the United States talk about, but [the democracy] in its true meaning,” Alexander Ionov, head of the Anti-Globalist Movement of Russia, which is organizing the event, told NBC News.

Divide and conquer.People are too busy fighting with each other to notice the bigger threats

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

Oh, you must mean like the two party dictatorship in the USofA, right?

And their all-powerful military industrial complex, which pretty much dictates their foreign policy interventions around the world?

We have the illusion of democracy and free choice in the west. You only have to look at covid to see how much of a sham our freedoms actually are when it suits our masters.

We're given BS referendums, on issues that our great leaders don't give a toss about in truth - stuff that makes deluded people think they have freedom and choice. You'll never see our populations given a vote on something that actually matters, like major military interventions for example. Stuff like that is too important to allow the plebs in our great western democracies to decide on.

Your average citizen in a liberal democracy, is about as clueless as it's possible to be about how the world actually functions. And that's exactly how they want to keep you.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

Better than the Russian no democracy way .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Ahherelads2022

The Curious Case of Paul Niland continued.

Who is this Irish expat/man on the street? The media seem to give him plenty of coverage. So do they know his history?

This is from 2006. He badly want's Ukraine to join the EU.

https://www.ft.com/content/62ab2e4c-65d5-11db-a4fc-0000779e2340

Mr Pickard and his business partner, Paul Niland, are among a handful of real estate players in Kiev offering foreign investors the opportunity to invest in Ukrainian property. Their Primeros Funds Group closed a $250m fund focused on warehouse and big box retail projects this autumn.

You never gave me an example of what you think is an example of a decently-functioning country? Do enlighten me!

If our leader goes out and shoots somebody tomorrow, we can seek justice. If a political system is blind to our needs, we can seek change. If our money is taken, we can seek accountability. Demos is the people and kratia is the rule of (Greek origins). We have the rule of the people. The choice might not be always optimal. But we have the final say. That is democracy.

Enough of me babbling on. Do enlighten me? Which countries should we strive to emulate?

So America stole a car. This was not right. However, Can other countries be justified to steal other people’s cars? Does America’s previous moral precedent absolve all blame from future culprits? And should nobody be allowed to take out car insurance to protect their cars?

Has Ireland ever been involved in a major military intervention ????

Oh dear

• Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

What is this dastardly plot about Ukraine joining the EU? How awful + nefarious.

If we use past events as a predictor for the future, if it can ever happen it is highly likely to make Ukraine in general (not just the businessmen or property developers or politically connected etc.) alot richer and happier.

Sure they are a long ways away from it for many reasons (incl.the elephant in the room, or next door) but maybe someday? Would be great if Russia could join it someday as well, though perhaps that is just a dream too far lol.

It's not only that the US has stolen a car, then lectures others not to do the same; but that they are also planning on stealing more cars.

Are the Russian navy still off the Cork coast?

@Shao Kahn You'll never see our populations given a vote on something that actually matters, like major military interventions for example.

We've never been involved in a major military intervention here in Ireland ,hard to believe ,but being you were crying about the military might be able spend some actual money on defense capabilities.no surprise there .

Do Russians get to vote on anything at all other than to vote for putin no other option allowed,

Did Russians get to vote on the invasion of Ukraine .

No .

Boooohooo democracy is bad Russia is good

Forgive me, I misread the title of the thread. I thought that this pertained to the Ukraine-Russia situation? Bad America! I mean, let all the other countries do what they wish. They will never be as bad as America. Got it! Okay, I am up to speed bow

• Advertisement

Interesting choice of publication. I am interested to know your views on Dimitiri Simes? Or Maria Butina’s contribution to the publication? Kirchick had an interesting view on the matter.

No doubt, you will dismiss my concerns as propaganda (I am being ironic here, Irish humour is based around irony) from the West. But interesting that you should use an obscure publication (unlikely ever perused by your average Irish punter) which has been cited by others as “…most Kremlin-sympathetic institution in the nation’s capital, even more so than the Carnegie Moscow Centre” to bolster your flailing argument.

Not the typical reference from a typical poster… That is my 10 cent on the matter

The scenario in Ukraine is one where the Ukrainian nationalists in Kyiv have attempted to steer the entire territory from it's historical Russian sphere of influence and into the US/EU/NATO sphere of influence, however those nationalists don't represent everybody and a critical mass of people, particularly east of the Dnieper have said no.

The leaked Nuland call reveals US meddling in Ukraine and hand picking the people to replace Yanukovych.

Genuine question here. But why is there the need by Russia to potentially invade Ukraine, if the overwhelming majority want to remain under (by your reports the de facto) rule of the Russians?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Suppose, just for the exercise, the Ukraine would say to Putin, we're not going to join NATO. How much would Putin be able to rely on such a statement from the Ukraine, if this statement would have been sort of coerced and with the threat of invasion?

And even if the Ukraine would say to Putin, we're not joining NATO, Putin is satisfied at first, but the Ukraine commences secret talks with NATO to join this alliance. And then there would be nothing Putin could do.

I'd say, Putin knows this scenario, - this is why he's likely to invade and eliminate the risk of the Ukraine joining NATO for ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭MFPM

But the US continue to 'steal cars'....there's a persistent attempt on this thread to pretend the US were once imperial war dogs and are now some form of cuddly benevolent force for good!

They've certainly aided and abetted a few...does that count as 'involved' in your mind?

Actually Ukraine could have learned lessons from Ireland regarding independence.

Like Ukraine, Ireland too had a large, aggressive and global power next door. Yet Ireland managed to navigate it's independence in a way that kept that larger power at bay, or on side at least. Despite the 30 year war in the north which saw certain participants of that conflict fly the flag of the Republic and commit attacks on the British mainland.

I'm sure it was no easy feat to maintain independence despite enduring such provocations toward the British lion.

Ukraine on the other hand, allowed itself to be wooed by meddling actors from US/EU and NATO, failed to navigate it's independence successfully and now will be forever fractured as a result.

You ignore the far more pertinent point. Are other countries now entitled to steal other people’s cars based on previous moral precedent?

And again 'previous'...why so afraid to acknowledge current and ongoing 'car stealing'?

• Advertisement

I didn't say overwhelming majority, why are you inputting words I didn't use?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement