Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economist & Policy Analyst Graduate Role

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 SavageSpuds

Best of luck with your interview, yours must be one of the first if it's on the 11th! Mine is on the 20th, at least it gives me a bit more time to prepare but also worry about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 7 nrt

Has anyone heard back about the results of the interviews yet? I had my interview earlier this month, and I think they said they'd let us know at the end of the month. Just curious what would be next, especially with timelines. A previous thread seem to indicate people wouldn't be placed in the departments until a few months after being told they were successful?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Whatsbehindthat

Just got my OOM back there, i'm in the top 5 somehow! The bolded note about wanting candidates to start as soon as their clearance is finished is worrying me as i'm in a masters and won't be finished until September, hopefully there flexible

Results were out yesterday, I didn't get on the OOM atall, boo! :P Oh well, well done Whatsbehindthat, you must have really impressed them if you were in the top 5 :o It was a tough number I felt. I didn't hear anything about them wanting candidates to start as soon as the clearance is finished though. I guess they'll have to wait, you're hardly going to leave your masters early! But yeah I'd say you're right NRT, it will be a few months before they actually place you in a department and want you to start working. Congrats to anyone who got through. Thank god it's over, that's all I'll say ha

• Registered Users Posts: 7 nrt

I'm in the same boat too SavageSpuds, no OOM but sure that's how it is. Big congrats to Whatsbehindthat and anyone else who got through, it sounds like it'll be a really interesting role! Hopefully you can work something out with them about starting dates :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭TheIrishPC

Hey guys, I made it on to the order of merit, although not as high as some of yous. Unsure what to do atm. I finished my masters in September and have been applying for roles since. I'm reading it can take months for my place to be reached. So having a successful interview and getting on the order of merit is great but I still don't have a job at the moment. My friend who works in the department of finance just advised me to check boards so here I am. Should I look for short term internships in the meantime now while I wait?

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭exitstageleft

I think PAS is almost overrun with different comps so the campaigns are running very slowly. Lots of departments seem to be crying out for AOs, particularly IGEES ones, so I'd say the panel itself will move more quickly.

Yeah it's hard to know. I wouldn't be in a major rush to find something for the summer, like exitstageleft said the panel will probably move fairly quickly. I suppose it all depends on where on the OOM you are, so if you're like number 50 or something then you should prob look for something to keep ya going in the meantime. But yeah I know what you mean, that's the worst thing about these panels and PAS competitions, you go through the whole process and at the end of it if you didn't get high up in the OOM then you're left wondering what happens next. Your kind of in limbo and there's no telling how long for or even whether anything will come of it in the end. I'd say they'd exhaust the whole panel for the IGEES roles though, I'd imagine there's quite a demand for them especially considering it's cross-departmental.

I'm inside the top 30. Initially I grimaced, but I estimated there were probably over 100 people interviewed during the 3 weeks so I know I've done well. I had a friend help me prepare for the interview as they work in DCC, and when I told them I made it to the panel they were delighted and said I'll definitely be offered the job. I just don't know when, as she said it would be 'within the year'. But then you're saying IGEES would move quite quickly given it's cross-departmental so maybe I'll hear back sooner rather than later.

If you're in the top 30 I'd say you won't be waiting longer than a few months to get an offer. Fingers crossed you aren't left waiting too long!

• Advertisement

Turns out it's very quick! I got emailed various forms today and a request to fill them out along with sending scanned private documents. Essentially commencing the clearance process which is great!

Woaw no way, that's amazing!! There ya go, sounds like you could be in the job before the summer starts! Congrats

Congratulations, i just received mine today! I was talking to a guy who got one of the positions last year and he said they were emailed recently saying that 30 out of the 49 on the panel would be called to clearance. I'm still a bit worried with not being able to start until after my masters (September) but hopefully there's no issue

Well done. I sent in the forms and references yesterday and about 20 minutes later the person I emailed phoned me to clarify things and send on more info to fill out. She's a lovely woman and I had a pleasant 20 minute call with her talking about various things. In terms of starting it depends on how quickly references get back to her, garda vetting, and health forms being checked by the department each taking about 3 weeks. So she said she'd estimate I'd be in the job by end of March as long as everything checks out.

As she's friendly I'm sure once you say you're doing your masters then she can try hold your place until September. It's very thorough so they'll check absolutely everything.

Would you not just start at the end of May once your classes finish? You probably don't really need all summer to write the thesis.

Ah its good to know their nice! Yeah i had a friend who go the job 2 years ago and she was asked to start in may but couldn't until September and everything was grand, hopefully its the same for me. This is probably a stupid question but for the garda vetting, we just send the form with the ID's to pas and they do the rest, we don't have to contact the guards ourselves do we?

I'm not doing a thesis, 12 week internship instead, so there would be no chance i could start earlier. At the start of the competition the requirements were to just have our masters by September, adding this to my comment above about me knowing someone who got there offer deferred to September i think it should hopefully be okay. My only worry came from them indicating they were short in a number of departments.

Ah right, that makes more sense. I hadn't realised that was an option and figured after the living the student life all year you'd be keen to start earning some cash!

I've also heard of them being accommodating in the past so you should be fine. It's fair enough, really given how drawn out the application process can be - you don't know applying if you'll have an offer after 3 months, 2 years or ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 elyaya

Damn, I'm inside the top 35 so I guess I won't be called :(

Well done if you got through!

I wouldn't give up hope just yet. If any of the ones called from the top 30 don't pass the clearance or drop out for any reason, you could be called. The fact that you're between 30-35 means it wouldn't take too much for you to be called a couple of months down the line!

• Advertisement

Send in the form with ID, once it's verified you'll be emailed a link from the vetting bureau to complete the next step which is basically adding every address you have lived at, confirming your details, and saying whether you have had any convictions or not. Then you'll be given a link to track its progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Wonderstruck

For AO jobs looooads turn it down, watch your phone for texts like a hawk

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bigcher

Just wondering if anyone has heard back from their department yet about a start date? I got confirmation last week but not sure how long before a department reaches out!

Still waiting. It's been 2 weeks since I was told that the department I am being assigned to will contact me. As it's a short week, if we don't hear anything by Wednesday morning, then it's going to be another week. Looks like an April start date?

My friend in the department of finance asked had I heard anything yet. There are still security checks with HR to go through which I presume involves signing the contract and getting an ID badge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bigcher

Yeah definitely looks like April at the earliest! Hopefully, they email this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CrispyTee

Hey guys, it's been quite a few weeks now since people got assigned. Anyone's department been in touch with them yet?

I followed up with the recruitment manager who contacted us and they cc'd someone in the department of public expenditure and reform to contact instead. They got back to me right away. I've been assigned to a department and should hear from the department in the next few days. He sent a form to HR today about my assignment. The rest of yous should hear something soon too if that's the case for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CrispyTee

Congratulations, hope you start working soon! Do you think it's worthwhile to do this myself or wait on them to get in touch first?

Definitely get in touch. It's not unknown for applicants to slip off the list / be forgotten until they follow up directly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Clarelessly

Hi Everyone,

I've just been invited to  the Graduate Policy Analyst/Economist – Stage 1 competition for 2022, which is the case study element. Can anybody guide me to any resources or previous examples you may have used to help with this? Thanks :)

Advertisement