Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭ongarite

12V battery drain is a common issue especially if it was on the boat from Korea for a few weeks.

See this video:

There is a utility mode you can enable which will force a charge of the 12V battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Yeah, I just left mine in "UTIL" mode for a few hours. Didn't help that I was sitting in it for hours scrolling through menus with the heat on! It is supposed to fix the problem automatically but it doesn't seem to! I uploaded new software yesterday which may help.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

Post edited by jspuds on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭w124man

How can you trade in a PCP car? Its not yours to trade unless you buy it outright surely, and if you do that it isnt a PCP car.

You answered my question later in the thread. As soon as the settlement figure is covered you can trade it but then its not a PCP car!

"Yes technically it's not your car legally to sell, but any garage you talk to will ask for the settlement figure or contact the finance company to get it and then quote you on what's left over."

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭podge1979

I no experience myself as paid the balloon payment and sold it a few years later.

But I can't see how you'd get a decent deal from a garage on that.

Anyone share how they got on with settlement figure and what's left over.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Good to know. But my god he’s hard to listen to. Must buy one of the battery packs. Anyone know where to get one? Would I have seen them in Lidl one time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭John arse

Yeah lidl had them alright but amazon have them from about 40 Sterling.It might be just me though but i'd be fairly pissed off if my brand new car needed a bloody jump pack to start it🤔???.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I don't clear the settlement before trade in. The garage that takes it as a trade in does that and what's left goes towards the car your are buying off them. When it come time to collect the new car I hand them the keys and reg cert and drive off in the new car. A few days later a letter from the finance company arrives acknowledging the clearing of the finance.

Even the car buying sites will buy a car that's on pcp, from https://webuycars.ie/faq/

What happens if I have outstanding finance on my vehicle?

We can still buy your car. Our team will make the necessary checks and arrange to settle any outstanding finance, provided it’s viable to do so.

Viable of course means provided they are offering you more for the car than the outstanding finance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Absolutely. Not sure what that fella is at to have two cars go dead on him, maybe he should look a bit closer to him for the problem!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Gandalphs Brother

I only see battery discharge warnings if I have the radio running or am using the menus while the car is not in 'Start' mode. This does seem to cause battery drain on the 12v system. The manual says that there is a 'Utility' setting in the menus which allows you to power all the media and systems functions directly from the main battery whilst parked, but when I tried to turn this on, I got a' Conditions not met' message, which I don't understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭eagerv

We carry a battery pack in each of our EV's. Never had to use on either of our cars, but a bit of piece of mind, mainly because my wifes' previous Ioniq 28kWh had a bit of a reputation.

In our case also handy for other activities, have used my Noco boost to start my boat diesel. You do have to remember to charge the packs up every few months though..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭crisco10

I use utility mode a reasonable amount, some say you only need to if you going to be there 30 mins plus but it only takes 10 seconds to flip on so why not use it?

The conditions required are I think, being in P, being in "ready" state and having X % of main battery charge left. Not sure of the X figure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭hooch-85

You are perfectly entitled to sell a PCP car. We sold ours to a garage before buying our Ioniq 5 as we got a better deal this way. Offered €27k as a trade in, sold car to dealer for 29k, he settled the outstanding balance directly with VW bank and transferred the remaining balance to our account which we used as the deposit for the new car. Its happening every day of the week. So much scare mongering around PCP's when there is no need for it.

Ok good to know, but also consider the state of the market at the moment. People beating down your door for 2nd hand cars. That was not the case 3 years ago when my PCP ended and added complexity and cost. I was getting bad deals and also increased PCP payments (new car same model) as the market driven equity was not there (equity and low payments is the real advantage of PCP).

Point being don't just think how things are now consider how they would be in the future, for that reason I'd never do a PCP again at least a bit of certainty on your payments etc. on HP and personal finance loans.

Yes, fair points. We went HP this time also as the rates were the same as on PCP. Its unlikely we'll keep the car the full term anyway so it doesn't make much difference, I can see us upgrading again in 2-3 years as that's the cycle we've been in for the last three new cars we bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 adoyle07

Has your bluelink crashed?, mine did on the 11th and again today

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Gandalphs Brother

I have noticed it going off-line a couple of times recently. Usually not more than half an hour. Probably a server crashed, or somebody pulled the plug out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭denismc

I am out of the country and was using the Bluelink to check on the car from time to time, I got a message today saying I can no longer use the Bluelink to check the cars status as its been more than a week since the car has been powered up.

I guess using the app a lot drains the 12 volt battery, I wonder is this a source of some of the battery drain issues!

I had an update on the head unit for bluelink this morning, asked me to accept new agreement etc.

Wonder is that all related??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭PhilBky

Interesting cross country round trip from North Kerry to just south of Cork city today. 72.6 kWh battery Premium Plus.

292 kms round trip, same route both ways. Started with 100% battery. 10 degrees C, wind average around 3.7 metres per second tail wind/ 3/4 rear tail wind.

Had the heater on intermittently at 21 C passenger and 21.5 C driver with fan speed 1. Dry all the way outbound. Kept close to top end of speed limits where possible. Auto regeneration. USB MP3 on for part way. Battery use 35%.

Return vastly different. Heavy rain, wind 5 metre per second head wind, 3/4 head wind. Heating - temp as outbound but fan speed varied between 3 and 1. Wipers and headlights all the way. No MP3. 0 regeneration. Battery use 45%.

A number of observations:

The rear screen problem - by half way home visibility was very poor. However as I’m used to driving vehicles with only wing mirrors, not a problem plus I have a rear dash cam mounted high on the rear window with the screen left on. Using the rear view mirror the cam screen can be seen and with the lens being close to the glass more can be seen than through the window.

With 0 regeneration the brakes actually gave a little regeneration according to the screen but the brakes seem slower to respond than on my i40, which may be due to the extra weight.

I had hoped to compare auto regeneration wit 0 regeneration but the weather precluded that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,477 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Saw my first one of these in the flesh today.

Not the prettiest shaped car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Just put order in for Ioniq 5. I am with energia already and was going to sign up to their EV plan and get the free charger with them. Anything against doing this? Seems straightforward enough. Is there a better option? I'm fairly certain it should be standard installation and not require extra works as charger will go right beside the meter outside and car pulls right up to it. House was built 2005 so should all should be ok I think. Should I get assessment done right away?

Just do the maths on the electricity rates you are signed up to (or the Termination Fee). When I got contacted by Energia and heard the rates, I ran them for my consumption profile. Turned out I would have paid about €600 more on my electricity for the next year, which is also about the same Net price for a charger if I did myself, except if I did charger myself I got to choose the type of charger I wanted.

There's always a catch with an offer like this. I looked into it too but weighed up the cost, my Zappi V2 cost me €600 net also (still waiting on grant but confident it will be paid) and I am out of contract end of February so I am planning to move onto the cheapest night rate I can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭denismc

You know there is no such thing as a "free" charger, you know the costs will be clawed back somewhere.

Just be careful of the Energia tarrif , while the night rate is very low the day rate is high compared to competitors tarrifs.

If you have high usage during the daytime e.g lots of electric showers then this maybe not the best tariff for you.

The best thing is to get your old bills and put the numbers through the bonkers website.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Thanks all for the replies.

I put my figures into bonkers but can't see night rate plans?

Do I also need to change my meter to a night rate meter?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Sargasso

Yes you can ask your supplier to get the ESB to change you to day/night meter and change over should be free but the standing charge for the day/night meter will increase by approx €65 per annum. I think there would be a charge if you looked to change back at a later date.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Summer2020

In your opinion. Plenty of others disagree. You felt the need to contribute this to a thread mainly filled with owners of said vehicle. Borderline trolling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭YellowRattle

I am not a fan of the design either but I love the design of the I3 so horses for courses.

Advertisement