Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can we integrate Unionism into a possible United Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Speedline

Anything that would prevent anyone from freely passing back and forth from one jurisdiction to another.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,776 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

You wouldn't say the UK was a modern, outward looking country?

Nether would I, I would say it is a modern country that has decided to isolate itself from it's nearest neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,789 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Now that the SNP have been handed their arse on the issue of pensions, can we now stop the lie about the UK continuing to pay for Northern Ireland pensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,618 ✭✭✭✭downcow

So you would describe what has happened on the Irish Sea as a hard border? That might help you have empathy with the likes of me who feel exactly the same about my nation being separated by a hard border as you do with regard to what you call your nation.

mot is up to us all to work for a solution

The solution IS the protocol. It is what's keeping NI in the EU for trading purposes, and no hard border on our island as per the GFA.

It can be fine tuned alright, but its there. It could be vastly reduced if the UK govt wished, but they don't seem to want to do so.

Edit - there were always checks between NI and Scotland. There's admittedly more now, but it was never the case you could pass through unhindered.

• Advertisement

Don't think I will be drinking the Tory koolaid on that one tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭FraserburghFreddie

Correct,the `head in the clouds`snp have similar traits to the sf types.ie-once you get beyond their chest thumping and general fanaticism there is very little substance to their arguments.Their ramblings certainly don`t hold up well financially and are bizarre to the more moderate amongst us.

😁😁 and Tory ramblings over the last while do stand up to scrutiny?

Gas stuff tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭FraserburghFreddie

I fully agree with that.The tories are finished and the longer boris clings on to power the more damage he`s doing to their chances at the next election.(which is a good thing)

And the effect of Boris is that nobody believes a word out of a Tory cabinet members mouth. Add that to the lies the Scots were told by Tories at the Indy Ref and they have some uphill battle keeping them in the next time there is a Ref. Boris, I suspect, knows this and won't allow a second ref if he can do anything about it.

• Advertisement

Where are you finding this in the gfa?. Send me a wee link, I’m surprised.

“no hard border on our island as per the GFA”

Read the section on security where there is a commitment to demilitarise the border. And the other commitments such as 'close cooperation between their countries as friendly neighbours and as partners in the European Union'.

Removing the military made it a border just like any other border in the EU, i.e. invisible or soft.

Re-introduce a visible border by leaving the EU and you break the agreement. In fairness to the UK they dared not break that part of the agreement - hence the Protocol.

Read the text and understand what it implies.

Thanks Francie. It's rather telling but not surprising that the other poster cherry picked that part from my post, and ignored the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Harryd225

The DUP are getting increasingly more angry every day lately, I'm very curious as to how they will react with a SF first minister after the elections in May.

I think unionists will scare enough voters to avoid that this time. But the damage they will do will have a longer lasting effect.

The clue is in the last word of your post ‘implies’. Why not post the statement that prohibits a border. Yes, we all know exactly why.

Maybe time we got back to the OP

Not me you need to be talking to about the implications of the GFA downcow, it's your political masters in the DUP and Westminister....who are so far petrified to break the 'implications' of that agreement. Protocol still there and checks still happening on the Irish Sea border.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Harryd225

There's another active thread on the Irish protocol I don't see why we are discussing it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,492 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Couple of points:

First, your so-called abuser lavishing billions of "gifts" on you every year. Interesting that you would characterise government expenditure as a "gift", but let that pass. There are plenty of controlling, abusive marriages in which the abuser treats the abused spouse well, in material terms. In some ways that can be one of the tools of control. I'm not sure that a union in which you receive expensive "gifts" is a substitute for a union in which you are valued, your wishes listened to and your welfare accorded some weight. It is absolutely incontrovertible that if the UK cared about the wishes or welfare of NI it would not have barrelled into a hard brexit designed to maximise injury to NI. You're in the situation you're in right now because the UK doesn't care about you.

Secondly, the union is not voluntary. It wasn't voluntary in 1921, when Ireland had to fight a war of independence to leave, and it isn't voluntary in 2022, when Westminster's position is that Scotland may conduct an independence referendum only if Westminster permits it, and Westminster chooses not to permit it. Cornwall might leave with your blessing, but it's actually Westminster's blessing that it needs and, as long as it needs Westminster's blessing to leave, then Cornwall's participation in the union is not voluntary.

It's only in the case of NI that there is constitutional recognition of the principle that NI may choose to leave the union, but even this is heavily qualified. NI only has the right to leave the union in favour of unification with IRL; it doesn't have the right to leave and become independent, for example, or to leave any choose any status other than unification with IRL. Plus, in practice it only has that right if Westminster chooses to allow it - under the Northern Ireland Act, if the Secretary of State thinks it likely that a majority would vote for unification with IRL, he may conduct a border poll. Or, he may not. It's at his discretion. And the Secretary of State, of course, is appointed by and accountable to Westminster. So, once again, Westminster decides if and when NI gets to exercise the limited degree of self-determination that it is afforded. And - worryingly for unionists? - Westminster has decreed that the Secretary of State can only conduct a border poll if he thinks nationalists are likely to win. UK law doesn't favour NI having an opportunity to express its desire to remain in the Union; only an opportunity to express its desire to leave.

But this distracts from the main point; you have linked us to an article by Sam McBride pointing out that Unionists love Britain despite the fact that Britain does not love them, and suggesting that this creates a problem for northern republicans. You later suggested that you didn't necessarily agree with McBride, but this makes no sense. If McBride is wrong, then how can his misunderstanding create a problem for northern republicans? And, if McBride is right, then not being loved by Britain is obviously a much bigger problem for northern unionists than for northern republicans.

I am here to tell you that McBride is right, and there is a huge problem for northern unionists. It's not necessarily an insurmountable problem, but on their present course the DUP/TUV tendency of unionism is not going to surmount it. They are basically co-dependents in an abusive relationship, in denial about the abuse and so excusing and enabling it. And I think that's going to be a turn-off for a lot of British people in NI- particularly, perhaps, younger people. That's just not how they want to be.

I predict that, so long at the DUP-TUV tendency is the dominant or representative form of unionism, what you will see is a growing cohort in NI who see themselves as British, but not necessarily unionist, because "unionism", for them, will be characterised by all the unpleasant traits of DUP-TUV unionism - not just the craven submission to Westminster belittlement and marginalisation, but also the social conservatism, the misogyny, the bigotry, etc. This is just not who many British people want to be. I think this is already starting to happen, and the Alliance Party has been the beneficiary of it. It also presents an opportunity for the UUP which, so far, they have been unable to grasp, but I wouldn't give up hope yet.

• Advertisement

So so much incorrect, with little bits correct.

so any part of the union can leave, as part of a process. There needs to be stability so we can’t be having polls at a whim. It needs to be a strategic decision for any region, not waking up the morning after wales beat Scotland in rugby and Scotland saying ok we are away. and yes you debunk many previous posts by pointing out that there are protections to protect ni from leaving on a whim, if Dana doesn’t get picked by the Uk to sing in the Eurovision we can’t leave that day.

you say Mcbride is correct. The point Mcbride is making is that the polls demonstrating that nationalist vote falling in ni during a minor disaster being presided over by the dup shows that a UI is highly unlikely into the future.

I do agree with you that the DUP/TUV are bad for the union in the same way as SF are bad for a UI. It’s incredibly ironic but true. The ira murder campaign cemented the union for generations. Dup are making a attempt at driving us toward a UI but the ira campaign is too fresh.

…and for your info the last poll of alliance voters showed 75% want to maintain the union. So a move to alliance doesn’t help you.

Back on topic

i think the masses in both countries have loads in common and could integrate fine provided roi is able to own up to its sectarianism and make some changes. I think ni has acknowledged the sectarianism in our country and are working to try and resolve and/or manage it. I don’t think roi has began that journey.

some other questions would be

will this new country adopt policies that nationalists have demanded in ni, eg

will official flags only fly on designated days? Will the local catholic boys scout group have to apply for permission to walk in a group? Will the photo of the president need to be removed from areas where unionists are working so as it doesn’t offend? Will there be a minority language act to ensure Irish courts etc can operate in Ulster Scots?

nothing there that would interest me, but it’s what the current minority seem to want in ni so I guess there will be similar requests.

That nonsense aside, I think my community would want freedom to enjoy our culture. To watch our British tv, support our British football teams, enjoy our cultural parades, have our 11th bonfires, etc, etc. I don’t think any unionist will give a toss if Roman Catholism continues to dominate your state television, schooling, etc. Maybe we can introduce you to intigtated schools, integrated sports without gingoistic nationalism, equality in employment, etc

"Any part of the union can leave as part of a process", but the process is entirely controlled and driven by Westminster. "We can't be having polls at a whim" — yes we can; indpendence polls are at the whim of Westminster. Scotland can't decide to have a poll just because they lose a rugby game; in fact Scotland can't decide to have a poll, full stop. Westminster decides whether and when the Scots are permitted to say whether they wish to be part of the UK. Slice it how you like; that's not a voluntary union. The UK is not the EU.

On the question of whether a united Ireland is likely in the future, I'm inclined to agree with you, at least for the near to medium term. Thanks to the sterling efforts of the DUP a united Ireland is significantly closer than it was five years ago, but still not actually likely just yet. If there were a border poll tomorrow, I doubt that the vote would be for unification with IRL. And crystal balls are not really my thing, but I'd be surprised if the position were any different in five years.

But this doesn't mean that unionism isn't facing a crisis. They are, for the time being, secure in a union in which they are disregarded and disdained; that's not a happy place to be. There are two major problems with this situation. The first, obviously, is that people are being disregarded and disdained. Over time, that must affect their attitude to the union, and I've already pointed to the weakening link between British identity and unionist politics. As you say, 75% of Alliance voters want to maintain the union — but they don't want it enough to vote for a unionist party. They are choosing a party which takes an instrumentalist view of the union; that supports the union only as long as the union is good for Northern Ireland. And over time it must become difficult to maintain the view that a union in which NI is disregarded and disdained is good for NI. We're seeing, I think, the slow severing of the link between British identity and unionist politics. That need not worry British people, but it should certainly worry unionists.

The second problem is that the long-term health of a union that only one party sees any value in must be open to question. History affords lots of examples of communities that saw themselves - with good historical reason - as British and thought they were secure in the British embrace, and they turned out not to be. The simple truth is that if the British don't see you as British, that's a problem that will not be fixed with performative displays of loyalty, and slavish toadying to the certified loon wing of the Tory party. If people despise you, you don't fix the problem by behaving in a despicable fashion; they just despise you more.

And this is a vicious cycle; the more unionist leaders tacitly or openly co-operate in the disregard and exploitation of NI by English nationalists, the more NI will be disregarded and exploited by English nationalists, and the less attractive unionism will be to British people in NI. That's a cycle that unionism needs to break.

do You currently receive Bbc & itv free to air in roi?

The majority of people have cable television. BBC and ITV channels are part of the basic package; you don't pay extra for them. If you don't have cable television then you can get the UK free-to-air channels, for free, with a satellite dish. Otherwise, you'll need to pay.

In much of Ireland you used to be able to pick up the UK channels for free, if you had a large enough aerial, but this hasn't been the case since the UK turned off its analogue broadcasting service.

I don’t agree with much of that.

I absolutely don’t mean to patronise you here, but you demonstrate again that nationalists just do not understand the union. You talk as if our parliament is not ours.

we all elect Westminster. It is our parliament. You talk as if it is in outer space and ruled by Martians. The majority in ni continue to want the union.

I would guess those in Donegal aren’t always estactic about dail meeting it’s interests

You may have a good understanding of the theory of the Union and how it was 'supposed' to work...you are blind to how it actually works. Unionism's blindspot willfully indulged.

You're assuming that by "Westminster" I mean the Parliament. I don't; I mean the whole political establishment of the UK. NI may be represented - just- in the parliament, but it has zero representation in the executive, in the cabinet, in the party of government. And it's at that level that NI is being traduced and abused. And while, in theory, Parliament could hold the executive to account for this, in practice it doesn't because, despite NI's massive representation of 17 seats out of 350, in the UK's majoritarian system Parliament is responsive to the wishes of England over those of the other components of the UK (and because the present parliament is particularly spineless, perhaps).

We can't argue with the facts. NI has been disdained and disregarded by Westminster throughout the Brexit process and, angry and all as Unionist politicians are about this disdain and disregard, they never, ever call on Westminster to change its attitude to NI because they know that it won't. We have the absurd situation of unionist attacking IRL and the EU for their failure to protect NI from Westminster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,789 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I think those that have been parrotting the line that the rUK will pay for Scottish and Northern Irish pensions into the future have to start rethinking their fantasies. We have been told this is a done deal, that there is no question about it, and now that there is, it is close our ears time?

Some of us have consistently maintained that there is no obligation on the UK to continue paying pensions, that it is something that will be on the table. This has been in the face of the repeated fantasy from several posters that there is no question that it will happen.

I am satisfied rather than happy to be correct once again.

Advertisement