Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tommy Tiernan Show Thread - Mod warning, see OP

Options

Comments

I think it's overdone now..

There's an article in the sun calling it a TV gem today..

Should have called it a day at the end of last season..

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭Xander10

what ? and leave us with the LLS as the only option ???

It's going to turn into the late late, with everyone having their touching heart felt misery slot ready to go..

It's already starting to happen..

It was a TV gem 4 years ago..it's in danger of being overdone..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭hold my beer

What are you on about. It's still as good now as it was 4 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I met Brush in the early 90s after a gig in Mayo that I ended up at. He was one of the nicest, most down to earth chaps you could ever meet. Completely harmless, didn't take himself one bit seriously and he hasn't changed a bit by the looks of it. Most of what he was saying last night was pure piss taking and anyone who couldnt see that is missing something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Why does any time the show is discussed the late late show has to be brought up too?

They're two completely different shows.

The Late Late Show:

• Longest running tv chat show in the world
    • Runs for about 38 weeks of the year for usually 2 hours (some reason down to 1.5 hours now)
    • Live
    • Has tradition of discussion topical stories in the news
    • Target market is middle aged people

Tiernans Show;

• Runs for 10-16 episodes
    • 1 hour long
    • Pre recorded
    • Interview format, no obligation the episode will be try to be entertaining
    • Target market is little younger

And I think Tiernan has met a lot of his big guests before. Michael D is a pal of his. Even Jimmy says "we met before" after Tommy said "nice to meet you". I think Tommy got a bit found out there and tried to pass off that he didn't remember but I think he did, he just wants to pass off the interview as with someone he never met before.

And even though I like the show, I do find him a bit of a one trick pony. 90% of guests he'll have a question like "Do you have any inner demons". Like Charlene he asked about her interior life and how his is just thunder which I actually felt was a bit of a cry for help from Tommy. His whole shtick is ask some "deep" question and then when they answer stare at the guest with a big serious face and leave a long silence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

The LLS of today is virtually a different show to that hosted by Gay Byrne, or even Pat Kenny. The only thing it has in common is the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Still needs to try and uphold the tradition though.

And there's some irony in complaining about Tubridy being miserable and then praising Tiernan who has to be the most depressing comedian I have ever heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭zv2

The late late show has become an advertising campaign and a product placement foyer. Tiernan harks back to some of the great interviews Gay Byrne used to do when the late late was worth watching.

Charlene McKenna is grand if seemingly a bit tipsy. Interesting she should say 'you daren't' say you love men. That's real a sinister remark about the atmosphere we are living in.

Post edited by zv2 on

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I thought the last show was a decent show overall to be honest. I like to dip in and out of it. But like yourself I noticed the same type of thing pops up from newspapers each week on RTE programmes.

The line is nearly always the same. 'Viewers all say the same thing about xyz show/interview....' . Or basically how 'great' the show was, with maybe a line or two thrown in designed to attract attention.

In my opinion, they do not even attempt to hide that it is a press release any more. Which is what I assume what they are, with the agreement of the newspapers of course as it gets them clicks/views.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭briany

Don't watch much snooker these days, but I have to say I'd watch a Worlds if Jimmy could journey to the final. What a Cinderella story that would be if he really could win it. In a sport with some great televised moments, that would surely top the lot.

Unfortunately it is a pipe dream really, Jimmy would have to get through 4 Qualifying rounds just to make the tournament proper. I think everyone would love to see it though. If only he had the concentration and stopped thinking of the gardening!

Qualifying for the World Championships again, would be a more realistic goal I think, but not winning them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭briany

I think you're probably right, but 'per ad astra', as they say.

The one thing about Jimmy White I always liked. Not just his determination and style of play etc. But he has never had a bad word to say about any snooker pro. Always encouraging young players etc. Not a lot of them are like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,043 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Jeez that is horrible. How unfortunate was he. Not a nice experience but Tommy does a great job talking to him and good to see him have a sense of humour.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,538 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think his eyes remind me of Dermort Bannons!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

What’s this guy’s name?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

This lad has an unbelievable attitude. I feel guilty feeling down about trivial things in my life listening to him.

Ms

Oh my god that would be so embarrassing lol. Poor lad has a horn nothing he can do about it and she calls his mother in lol. What is the name of that film or show again lol?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭kerryjack

These guys are class great how Tommy bought around the topic of the erection can you imagine the puss tuberdy would have on him talking to this lad great show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

Jack Kavanagh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭CFlat

What a fantastic young man. Tommy keeping eveything real as usual. It's very moving and funny at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭Be right back

Murder ball, I think. Great interview tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,635 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

This lad has some amazing attitude. Great aul chat and so natural. Theres not a hint of negativity out of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 IrishRedders

This guys attitude is a breath of fresh air. Great interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,074 ✭✭✭Jeff2

This segment is interesting and good fun.

Was it the film my left foot.?

Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭nu_90

This lad is unreal and good craic too I'd say , and yes to whoever said he looks like Dermot he actually does

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I remember watching a documentary years ago called The Boy Whose Skin Fell Off. Similar in a way. Guy dealt a **** hand in life and had a great attitude and sense of humour. I have never forgotten the pain the lad went through and does help you see your own issues in perspective.

Advertisement