Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lambing on covered cattle slats

Options
  • 10-02-2022 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

Have a small number of ewes lambing in mid to late April. Was hoping to lamb out if weather permitting but have a contingency plan if not, have a small sheltered field beside the slatted house and was thinking of leaving them out there during the day and running them into the shed at night just in case one has difficulty lambing, my thinking being if one was having difficulty during the day be easy enough round up.

Was thinking of covering the slats just while the lambing is going on. Has anyone any experience of this and if so what did you use. I was thinking old carpet that might be sourced handy enough, a shake of lime on top and then plenty of straw, another option i was thinking was sheets of ply instead of the carpet or another option i just seen those rubber mats that are used to walk on in milking parlours that join together, would they be a runner. Any thoughts, is it a good/bad idea

Comments

Advertisement