Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

NEW TUSCON HYBRID

• Registered Users Posts: 33,482 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Screwfix?

Does a new car not come with the cables you need?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I think you mean Plugin Hybrid?

If yes, then you can only charge that at 7kW so you dont need a 3-phase cable. You need a 32A single phase cable.

A 32A 3-phase cable will do too and might be a good future proof one to buy, that you can use for your next EV.

But just be aware that you wont get 22kW charging with the Tuscon when you are out and about. It has a 13kWh battery and charges at 7kW so you are looking at a ~2hr charge time.

• Advertisement

If I was spending that much on a new car, I'd be asking the dealer to give me the second cable too. Every car should be coming with 2 nowadays.

To be honest, a granny cable isn't really the cable you need. I have used a granny cable twice in 5 years of EV ownership. They are practically useless now with the larger batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

Is it not becoming common for plugins to only have a level 1 cable? You're paying for it one way or another so it's probably a benefit not to be given it. The normal pattern I'd guess with a plugin is home charging or low current public charging. Is the poster even sure they need this cable.

Yeah I suppose with a PHEV the battery will be relatively small, and a granny cable might suffice for many owners.

But even taking maybe 14kw as an average PHEV battery, thats still 7hrs charging using a granny cable?

But surely they have to provide you the option to top up when you are out and about with a public charging cable?

But you can get a home charger installed and either by a cable at the time or get one with a tethered cable. The poster has not said what he needed the cable for, I assume they have a home charging point that doesn't have the a cable. Are PHEV owners really going to public charging points as opposed to just running on petrol until they get home? The listed PHEV will get you about 30 Km on a charge. Seems wasteful to provide it to people by default on PHEVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,158 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Hi All.

So I rang Electric Ireland today to organize a home charger and I was informed KN Networks will be giving me a call to organize it.

Been doing some more homework on this since and notice SEAI have a grant available but how does that fit into Electric Ireland? Should i apply for the grant now and pay Electric Ireland/KN networks the 600 euro?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Yes. You must have the grant approval before you do the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,021 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

You won't get the 600 euro until after you have the work done.

Thanks all for the help

Has anyone used Electric Ireland for their install of the Home Charger, good experience?

No complaints from me, but if it's a non standard install I'd look elsewhere

What would you classify as non standard Cyrus?

Unfortunately where the fuse box is located at my house is at the back door (Would've been much easier if we could use the meter box) so the install will need to run a long cable out side to where I want the charger near the front

Would the install typically be over 600 euro?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Stingy feckers don't give you the second cable.. The Superb came with both, 7Kw/hr charging would be lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Anyone used the new Ohme home 2, i have been offered it instead of the EO mini

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭mailforkev

I was considering it because I like the size and the look of the screen on it. Unfortunately it doesn’t hook up to my Honda via an API like many other car brands so loses some of the appeal.

Also has a SIM rather than Wi-Fi. In the U.K. Ohme pay for 3 years of SIM data then you’re on your own to pay for it or no remote access. The place I was dealing with here won’t give me a straight answer about the situation here.

Am leaning towards a Wallbox Pulsar now.

Well a standard all in is 1200 with the eo charger , so net cost of 600 to you.

They have a certain allowance for distance etc and once it goes over they charge extra.

If you get someone else they will probably do it from the meter box as that's ok now. Bit kn won't do it

Oh so installers can do it from the meter box now?

That would save me so much hassle, that's great news.

• Advertisement

Yep but act sooner rather than later before the rules change again. As said KN won't do this.

Ya I'm thinking of canceling Electric Ireland/KN Networks now.

Has anyone used Easygo for their install and would they do the Meter Box install?

Not many people in Tipperary that install EV chargers from what I can see and I want to get someone who's experienced doing it rather than a Electrician as I'd be a bit worried would they beable to do it

Post edited by Headshot on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭rob808

Why KN would just do add on next to your fuse box if it was full.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

@Manion No, not using extension lead. Using the supplied L1 cable with multi-amperage transformer on a weatherproof outside socket. Tried it through the window to living room socket & this worked yesterday but when we tried again today it tripped again at 6A.

Will get my electrician to have a look. Thanks for replies.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Because he wants it from the meter, not the fuse box.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭sumo12

So, my electrician came to fit my shiny new ABB charger yesterday. Opened the meter box and tells me that he can't go any further as there is no isolator fitted to the smart meter. Smart meter was fitted by KN last year and they have sealed the consumer side of the meter meaning no one can disconnect the power to the house. Rare that this would be necessary I know - replacing the fuse board, fire or other emergency (or fitting an EV charger!) Still pretty slack that one wasn't fitted - the old type meters could have the power disconnected on the consumer side

Electrician went off and I called ESB networks and they say "oh yes, you need an isolator, we'll arrange to fit one for you" took my number and I'm expecting a call now...

Maybe something to be aware of if an non ESB/KN installer is fitting your EV charger - check the meter box first!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

He could have fitted from the consumer unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭sumo12

Correct. Except he didn't want to and I didn't want him to. Didn't see the point of complicating an install and making it more expensive. And drilling more holes in my wall and routing cables that would be otherwise invisible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭thunderbolt

Will KN not wire directly into the metre box?

Advertisement