Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Technology to help Elderly from being attacked in their homes. Ideas Please

Options
  • 14-02-2022 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I'm absolutely seething at the headlines tonight. Another attack on the elderly in their own homes. This time in Cork. What is going on? Whatever is fuelling it (my suspicion is cocaine addiction), we need to bang heads together to come up with some ideas to protect our elderly and vulnerable population

I'm on here looking for practical and innovative ideas that might help solve this problem. Obviously, the root cause of why it's happening needs to be addressed but until that is established we need to come up with a reason why a would-be attacker would think twice about entering a house occupied by an elderly person and seeing it as an easy target. Maybe something like a ring fence wire surrounding the property, if cut alarm goes off, if crossed, alarm goes off. Obviously if a cat crosses it it shouldn't go off.

Anyway I'll be interested to hear what you might come up with

Post edited by WillYizCopOn on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Proper, full prison sentences for attacking elderly people like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭zg3409

Standard house alarm, set when at home and when asleep. Doors locked, camera/intercom on front door or glass window so you can see person before opening door. Typically alarms have a panic button next to the door.

Many people live like this, I do. Problem is most people stop setting alarm during daytime when most break ins happen.

You need a way to prevent false alarms and improve response to genuine alarm. Some more expensive systems have CCTV linked to monitoring centre where staff act on alarms and direct local 24 hour security and Gardai with confirmed reports of intruder on scene. They often have 2 way intercom with alarm panel and sometimes outdoor speakers with motion detection and break beam systems. Costs are dropping but they can help. A neck/watch mounted panic button is first step, to alert family help is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 WillYizCopOn

• Registered Users Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭touts

Tracking implants in every scrote with more than 10 convictions. If they come within 5 meters of a vunerable person the guards are notified and they receive a continuous electric shock that disables them until the guards arrive.

But given that the Irish Council for Criminal Liberties would have a fit on Matt Cooper's show best we can probably do is a national emergency monitoring service for everyone over the age of 65 or who qualifies due to disability or being a victim of domestic abuse. The system could operate with a bracelet linked to a LoRa type network. The wearer could press a button on the bracelet to send a distress signal and their location to the monitoring service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Notmything

This is not a new thing. I'm in my 50's and such incidents have been going on as long as I can remember.

Unfortunately the elderly are seen as an easy target for lowlifes and other elements of society

• Advertisement

Yeah but unfortunately, the very elderly are technophobes. Rather than relying on them setting stuff maybe something automated and monitored from elsewhere remotely. My 86 yr old Mother-In-Law has a house full of state-of-the-art aides She ignores.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,473 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The government are not going to do anything.

the judiciary are laughably inconsistent and incompetent…answerable to nobody

the only way to stop criminals is to deter…when the law, criminal justice system isn’t doing that… you have to do the best yourself…

alarm, cctv, motion detection lights are good starting points ..

very good point about the daytime alarm setting… ‘partguard’ feature allows for the detection of doors / windows opening only you can move around inside freely.

Well each and every one of those you mention have/had parents. It affects everyone does it not? Or do we have to wait till something dreadful happens to one of theirs🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Not modern technology....but a swift belt of a sledgehammer to the head of the scum that carry out these crimes.....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

I agree. I would have no problem swinging the hammer either... and have a good night sleep knowing job's well done. BUT that's never going to happen is it. Too many do-gooder whingers....Back to technology I'm afraid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,777 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Gardai are giving out fridge magnets to the elderly to write their Eircode on, that should do it...

The aim of the project is to provide older and more vulnerable people, including those living in isolated areas, with crime prevention advice.

They will be given a fridge magnet where they can write their Eircode and a next of kin contact on it should they need it in an emergency.

https://www.rte.ie/news/regional/2022/0214/1280730-elderly-programme/

Oh, I like both of these ideas. Especially the first :). But LoRa is interesting. Something as simple as a bracelet being squeezed to set the emergency ball rolling would be on the spot i think. Anything that requires hard-wiring is out as the bstard in Cork cut the phone line. Must be wireless. Going to look further into LoRa and LoRaWan. Thanks

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The best thing you can probably do is to teach your parents to keep their doors and windows locked throughout the day and to not answer the door to strangers.

Next, is highly visible external security, alarm boxes and CCTV cameras. Even if they aren't used, their visible presence will keep many (though not all) scum from even trying, they typically move onto a softer target instead.

Video doorbell or similar, train your parents to always answer the door that way and not open the door to strangers.

Others above have mentioned monitored alarm systems, but another option is self monitored alarm and IP cameras. If your parents were agreeable you could set it up so if the alarm goes off, you would get a notification too and could check in on the cameras, call the Gardai if needed and talk to the burglars via the cameras, might be able to scare them off. Also you could check that your parents are actually setting the alarm every day.

OP mentions external trip wires. Depending on the home and size of garden, some alarm systems support external motion sensors and curtains sensors of various types which would trigger the alarm if someone entered the garden (obviously you need to think how that would handle visitors, the post man, etc.).

To be honest though, the impression I get is the most elderly victims of this type just open the door to their attackers. If you can convince them not to open the door to strangers, you are likely greatly reduced the chance of being a victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭paulski999

The following works a treat both using a landline or internet (hooked up to router)

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭PureIsle

I am surprised that no one mentioned a companion dog coupled with a few stickers like available here

https://www.mysecuritysign.com/property-protected-by-video-camera-and-dog-shield-sign/sku-k2-5021

and a video door monitor with 2-way speech, so the door is not opened to strangers without first checking and warning about the dog.

Advertisement