Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

People are in for a big shock if they expect wholesale changes. France and England playing full strength sides vs Italy. We’re still in the hunt for a Championship and PD could well be very important. And the England game in Twickenham is 4 weeks after the France game in Paris. We may see 1 or 2 changes, mainly on the bench, but by and large it’ll be a strong side we put out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I don't disagree with the general point, but I believe England made 6 changes between the Scotland and Italy matches and still won 33 0 away from home.

I'd be confident enough that we could make the same number of changes and still secure a bonus point at home to Italy. But as I said before I think Farrell will be conservative and we'll see Henderson and Henshaw come in and maybe a couple of other changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,996 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I would like to see Bealham start with TOT on the bench. We are very vulnerable for prop replacements.

I expect Henderson and Henshaw to start but after that it will be minimal enough.

It will be interesting to see if Lowe gets called up for rounds 4 and 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Does Sexton start or do you give Joey another start? I'd start Joey just to give him match time. If fact I'd start most of the guys that have benched for the first two games just to give them match time.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

nobody is looking for alot of changes.

one or two options to be looked at.

if we don't do that, we are being utterly stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I’d say Joey stays in regardless of Sextons fitness for Wales, Henderson and Henshaw will start apart from that can’t see much changing, maybe one change in the back row and one in the back three, could see Coombes getting a go. With Hansen only having 2 caps I’d say he’s certain to stay so maybe one change at either fullback or wing. Front row is already likely to have Sheehan in so don’t see any more changes there

it’ll be a very recognisable team with no real surprise picks.

• Administrators Posts: 53,836 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Henderson and Henshaw will certainly start.

I'd also bring in Coombes, I'd play Beirne at 6, I'd keep Carbery and I'd have Baloucoune either at 14 or 23.

Could he go with a Henshaw Hume centre duo? Would certainly be an interesting call.

Realistically there's a 0% chance of us losing this, and we're going to bonus point them with ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Kelleher looks to be out, that's one change

Carbery to start with Sexton on the bench

Think we should give Coombes and/or Timoney a shot.

I agree, won't be wholesale changes but still reckon we will have 3/4/5 changes in the 23

Porter, Sheehan, Furlong, Ryan, Beirne, Doris, VDF, Conan

JGP, Carbery, Hansen, Aki, Henshaw, Balacoune, Keenan

Bench

TOT, Herring, Bealham, Henderson, Coombes/Timoney, Murray, Sexton, Henshaw/Conway

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Carbery should start against Italy with Sexton getting 20/25 minutes from the bench. The way fixtures fall, if Sexton doesn't get any time before the England game, it will have been 5 weeks since he played.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Aki was very heavily strapped v France and didn't have much of an impact. Going forward.

Wouldnt be suprised to see Henshaw come back in at 12.

Looking at the stats from the game most were very similar tackling, metres made, turnover etc the biggest difference was we conceded 6 penalties in our half and they only conceded 3.

They scored 6 penos to our 1.

Also we missed 5 more tackles than them. Plenty to work on. But nothing that can't be fixed before the England game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Shehal

The big difference was the penalty count and turnover count which went against us, not significantly but enough to decide the final scoreline.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,010 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Theres 3 certainties in life - death, taxes and Irish fans complaining about the ref.

I think Gardner is a good ref. I thought he had a decent game. I counted 3 mistakes/questionable decisions. 2 in favour of France and 1 in favour of Ireland.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,596 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i can guarantee you there will be at least two changes for the italy game

I've watched a lot of Casey over the last couple of years and I'm a fan. I wouldn't call him a hot head and can't recall any tantrums. Do you have examples? Genuine question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Absolutely every losing teams fans complain about the ref.

I don't think he had a bad game, he let the ruck go but for both teams. He missed a few things but every ref does. The only really infuriating call for me was the very short advantage call.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,465 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

The way he reffed the ruck would be the biggest complaint. He was allowing French players to lie on our side with impunity, which nowadays refs are pretty quick to blow up. He ignores all that, yet pings Kelleher for a pretty marginal offsides on a contested kick. There were also multiple breakdowns where he let the French either play the ball while on the ground, or without ever releasing the tackled player. Those are pretty basic things to miss repeatedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,422 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'd be of the opinion that your best way to a big points haul is start everyone off the bench and use the regular starters after 50+ minutes who are then facing the Italian second string. We could score a lot in the final half hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,996 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Three year central contract for Beirne. Nice bit of business.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Fans everywhere give out about referees. Gardner was fine overall from my blurry recollection, but there were a few areas he frustrated me. France jumping across our line out constantly and that ridiculously short advantage. I’d like to see a less blurry view of the rucks too but haven’t had a chance to watch back yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Never really works out that way. The changes cause disruption, as the players coming in get up to speed. Even when good players are coming on, they don’t always perform as well as when they are starting. Trying to force things and make an impact.

• Advertisement

Absolutely. Every country's fans do it. Just in my experience Irish fans seem to do it more than most. Even when they win. Just my feeling in the 15 or so years I've lived here. Maybe I'd have a different perspective if I lived in Wales or France.

I agree that calling advantage over when he did was a strange one and inconsistent. He did make a big call in Ireland's favour when he said Sheehan held the ball up. I reckon if he'd said onfield decision was a try, the TMO wouldn't have over turned it. I think it was a try. Theres no way some part of ball didn't touch grass in that situation.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Even if Sheehan hadn't prevented the try, which every replay showed he did, Lucu clearly knocked on at the base. They showed the replay and it was clear as day. I found it bizarre they even looked at the grounding given it was no try from the moment he knocked on.

Gardner had a decent game all round. Players know what to expect and if they don't they have to adapt quickly. Gardner wasn't the one blasting Irish players off the ball in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭OldRio

I'd imagine someone might have a word with Gardner re the lineout. Start with the gap. Always technical that one. Measurements and everything.

When he's mastered distance perhaps his next focus could be on the projection of bodies across said gap.

Well leave the breakdown for another day.

BTW the loss was on Ireland, Noone else.

I'd forgotten about the little knock on. TMO should have picked that up. Do you think the TMO would have over turned the call if Gardner had said it was a try? I don't think he would have.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,001 ✭✭✭✭JRant

He should have gone upstairs for a look at the second d French try. Looked like a French boot kicked it out of the preceeding ruck and then he got in the way of POM making a tackle on the line.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

If ireland ever went with a 6 2 split who's our best option in the backs?

Could doak potentially offer us that 9/10 cover on the bench we probably need to pull it off.

Aki probably misses out in the centre as he is mainly a 12..

Carberry could play 10/15.

Sexton 10/12.

Keenan 14/15

Ringrose 13/14

Henshaw 12/13,15?

Hansen 10/11/15

Larmour 13,14,15.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Henshaw will not play 15! That ship has sailed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Yeah, probably Doak as 9/10 cover, and then you'd be looking for a versatile #23.

Add 12 for Ringrose, 11 and maybe 13 for Keenan and 11 for Larmour.

Some others:

Keith Earls 14, 11, 13, 15, maybe 12

Ciarán Frawley 12, 10, 15

Jimmy O'Brien 15, 13, 11, probably 14

Tommy O'Brien 11, 12, 13, 14

Rory O'Loughlin 13, 11, 12, 14

Shane Daly 15, 11, 14, 13*

Jamie Osborne 13, 15, 12

Calvin Nash 14, 11, 13

Addison can play fullback, 13 and wing - but he's never available

*I don't think he's played 13 at senior level. Is his defence up to it?

So... Doak and Ringrose (if you've got a winger who can move to 15) or Doak and JOB otherwise? Don't trust Larmour at 13 myself, and Earls is old.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

You just get that impression because you’re here so exposed to it more. There are fans everywhere that do much the same and social media just exaggerates how much you see of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Nah, not a hope. That was always gonna stay with the on-field decision.

Though I tend to think it genuinely wasn't a try.

Advertisement