Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

I don't know who would have a dumb EVSE these days ? certainly anyone getting a new charge point would be mad not to get one that supports timers.

Battery thermal management is a big deal for those that want proper fast charge speeds and for those doing short trips that don't want to waste tonnes of Kwh heating the battery when they shouldn't have to, even for shorter trips it adds to consumption.

The fact the battery can not preheat under mains power is also another big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I don't know who would have a dumb EVSE these days ? certainly anyone getting a new charge point would be mad not to get one that supports timers.

People do, because they want to keep the costs down.

Battery thermal management is a big deal for those that want proper fast charge speeds

True. I've always got 100kW from the ID.3 when I tried it though, even in winter. It required at least an hour of motorway driving to get it from 14°C upto the required 20°. It can be improved, of course, so that it just pre-heats itself once it knows you are going to a charger. They apparently are implementing that.

for those doing short trips that don't want to waste tonnes of Kwh heating the battery when they shouldn't have to, even for shorter trips it adds to consumption.

I wouldnt say its tonnes of kWh's but it would be better if it didnt unnecessarily heat the battery but in terms of it actually affecting your use of the car it makes little or no difference... maybe you need to plug it in an extra time over a few weeks to make up for the wasted energy... big deal! For the vast majority of people they wouldnt even notice it, only for the fact that they looked at the consumption figures.

The fact the battery can not preheat under mains power is also another big deal.

Why is it a big deal? Again, like your above points, it will be good when they address all these but it wont radically change your enjoyment or usage of the car.

Anyway, VW have added improvements as each version was released and they have publicly said they will address the above issues too and v3 is close to release so it will be a storm in a tea cup after a while. In terms of you not getting v2.3 installed yet.... you need to talk to another dealer or someone in VW support and get the update pushed to your car again.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭VWPAT

The cars like mine who received 2.3 ota have a piece of the software missing compared to those with factory fitted 2.3. The recall will make one of the bms modules ota updateable. Also replace the 12v battery. No hardware replaced or needed for 3.0 update. 2.3 is reguired to acess 3.0.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭bodgerfederer

The timers and the bms are definitely a big deal in my opinion.

i don’t have a timer on my wall box and I didn’t need one with the egolf either. That the state of the art upgraded ev from vw can’t do what the old ones did is just embarrassing.

The poor bms and the fact that there is no heat pump means that I’m charging my id3 as often as I charged the egolf- so yes I definitely notice the impact of the poor bms. It’s costing me around 15kwh a week, some of which I might not be getting at night rate as the timers don’t work…

it’s frustrating that what should be very simple still doesn’t work. That, combined with the previous experience of a fully functioning ev means that my enjoyment of the car definitely diminished.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

A bit of news.. Agreed a sale for my ID.3 today, will be going on Tues next. I wont say any more re sale at the moment.

Car has been brilliant, never enjoyed a car as much and this thread has been great as well. I will continue reading and contributing if I can. Car never let me down, but did have a few hissies when new. Mainly key related. Otherwise has been more or less perfect. Is in showroom condition, not even any paint chips, or any wheel rash (Advantage of plenty of rubber). It really is a quality made car.

I have an order in and have been allocated a new Tesla RWD with LFP 60kWh battery and includes heatpump and many other new features. Should have by mid March all going well, it's in transit atm. Perhaps I am mad, but you only live once and you only regret the things you don't do. It was a sudden decision towards end of January after getting a good test drive in one at the Cork centre, but did not want to say anything until finalised. I would only loose a €100 order deposit had I had changed my mind.

Luckily I have a son working from home for next few months, so can use his car until mine arrives. But dreading having to put petrol into it. And can cycle to work nearby if not raining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,035 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Congrats Eagerv and best of luck with the Tesla.

I know you don't want to say to much but is it a private sale or is there a garage buying it off you?

Rather not say too much atm, but will when all dusted..

No worries at all. Now the wife will steal the Tesla and you'll be landed with the Ioniq 5 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

Fancy pants eagerv. Well wear. I love the Id.3 but I’d love a go with a Tesla too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

Do cars that shipped with 2.3 need a 12v battery update.

Fantastic, you'll love the M3, will feel like a rocket compared to id3. 😊

You certainly won't regret your decision to go with the M3, can only imagine the Kwh you will suck out of DC chargers, should knock a good bit of time off a long trip. The ability to preheat the battery before fast charging will be a big deal.

The heat pump was shown not to same a lot of energy in the id3. I certainly wouldn't pay over 1K for something that might offer a tiny efficiency gain, the largest gain in efficiency would come from proper thermal management of the battery, allowing it to preheat via the mains for one or not having it heat for short trips in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭bodgerfederer

Yep I wouldn’t pay that for a heat pump either -nice to have but a 58kwh car shouldn’t need one. I was just making the point that the id3 is costing me more to run than the egolf and not offering any advantage in weekly commute terms.

Of course, I switched to the id3 because of those longer trips and holidays and for that it’s a definite improvement.

It should just be better though.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

Yes it should be better, but one thing about the VW will be the excellent build quality that you get in German cars, you won’t get that in a Chinese built car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

It's a crazy price for the heat pump. It was only around 400 on my i3.

Cars shipped with 2.3 update will not have recall for 12v battery replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

One for Mad_Lad to watch...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Way too positive

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

We Connect App updated this morning on Android and now there's an option to set units in the "Profile Tab" and then "App Settings" menu.

Previously your app displayed Miles or KM based on your phone language.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭RevID3

Just done my first trip to Dublin over the weekend. So for any first timers on the trip Cork to Dublin here's my twopence worth.

What a Joy it was to do in an EV. Left Douglas on full charge, 335km..

Planned to re-charge at Junction 14 mayfield Services. 200km from start point..30% remaining.

Perfect place to stop, fuel the car and the body. At least 8 double chargers.. Was juiced up from 30% to 90% in 42 minutes at 150kw charger.

Watch out for the reminder overstay charge..4.60 added to cost if charging longer than 45mins.

Done a drop off in Rathmines and back to Junction 14 to recharge and a dose of Coffee and a toastie.

Charged to 90% , GOM readout..305km. Arrived back in cork with 15% battery left. All in all a great experience to see what the car can do.

NOTE..Did find the info screen way to bright for night time dark highway driving, and can't blacken unless you switch the info system off but then no Music. Unless I missed something in settings? ..I know you can tone down the lighting but not completely off?

The Ecar fast chargers worked flawlessly , and can't recommend the Junction 14 Highly enough for the Charge up.

58kw Id3 Life Pro. All highway speeds.

Pull down from the top of the screen and there's a brightness slider if I'm not mistaken?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭RevID3

Cheers for that, thaught I done that but hard to mess around like woody wood pecker on the info screens while motorway driving..

Being watching a German website called MEIN ID for some time. Seen the following today. The recall for the 2.4 update begins on week 11. Following the update the car will be enroled for the 3.0 update. No email for permission will be required. The download will be in two parts as the update is much larger than 2.3. T he website is in german but is google translatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,502 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I assume that applies to everyone except Mad Lad

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

More of a general EV question but how to you track electricity usage? Do you specifically need a charger with app connectivity and all the bells and whistles? Does the car tell you how much it charged within a certain date? Our electricity bills are very random dates so just wondering how people track how much electricity they used for their car from random dates like 02/12 - 04/02 for example.

If you submit a meter reading on the last day of every month then you'll have monthly usage figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

The Zappi, and myenergi App has all that information.

• Advertisement

I'm going to email the clowns again and ask will I receive 2.3 this year lol.

Advertisement