Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Radio 1: The Ryan Tubridy Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,753 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Agreed as I outlined in another thread… my point was that Callan never misses a chance to criticise the Govt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

I prefer Callan to Tubridy. I can always do with a bit of light humour in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

He's too sanctimonious, always tapping into the current public outrage and trying to catch the 'mood of the country' following whatever's been on the news. Give me Calllan any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

A notable lack of illness on the show this week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭RINO87

Agreed - the only time I listen to the show, and hence post in this thread is when Callan is on. Always get a chuckle out of the "monologue" - GIVE HIM THE GIG!!!!!

If he had stopped shilling the Shinners he’d have probably got it.

I’d imagine he’d be 20% of the cost, with no dip in listenership, and probably do 40% more shows too.

I wonder does he like freebies? He doesn’t drop hints like Tubs does “fo sho”.

Listened to the monologue this morning, a much more enjoyable experience than when Tubs is at the helm.

Callan actually sounds interested in what he’s saying and sounded genuinely upbeat in his delivery. Too often Tubs sounds bored and disinterested when reading and guffawing at things he clearly has no interest in. There’s a genuineness to Callan, which contrasts noticeably with Tubs’ fakeness.

There was also a distinct lack of death, cancer, or misery……all of which made for a much more enjoyable listening experience!

• Advertisement

Bit of a laugh about the Brits and Yanks and St. Patrick's Day Irish politician junkets, just what you need to brighten the day ahead. I'm definitely in the keep Callan camp.

The dainty fella is probably floating around Connemara right now, milling into free tea and scones somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭avfc1874

Nice little bit of bluffing from tubs in the Irish times after his listeners figures jumped 🙄 quote .. it's like a 9 o'clock club and a nice little distraction from all the crazy in the world... . With lashings of cancer, plenty of good eggs who go into minute details of losing someone, and an abundance of cheery texts who agree with my innane ramblings, saying they love my put on voice and riffing and all the research iput into the show. And best of all people who have much less than me send me in gifts for no reason 🤔.

I may have added a bit on my self which is all true

Post edited by avfc1874 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭StevenToast

The latest listenership figures should make for brutal reading for Tubridy....

Morning Ireland hand him huge figures on a plate....Tubridy sickens 100,000 of them enough to turn off....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭StevenToast

😂😂 gowls?

Thats not very kind now is it?!!

I welcome your analysis of tubridys ratings....however, it is extremely flawed and very naive ...

The huge drop in listeners after Morning Ireland tells its own story....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

A rising tide raises all boats. Well nearly.

If you were to believe the figures, MI is up 2%, Tubs up 1.95% and Claire up 1.7%.

Not all boats are created equal

Callan doin a decent job this week but the DLB is gonna kill him for not fleecing (get it!?) that local business for some comfy "Sona Sásta" hoodies.

Ignoring of course the fact (and single biggest contributor factor) that almost all radio shows across all stations increased listenership as people continued to work from home during the survey period. This is hardly an achievement.

The real figures I’d like to see is the ones when Tubridy is on one of his many holidays. I’d wager there is no drop in listenership at all. When Pat Kenny left RTÉ Sean O’Rourke (his hastily arranged replacement) actually increased the audience. Ultimately we could replace the likes of Tubridy and Duffy with significantly cheaper (and better) hosts that cost a fraction of what the incumbents do with zero impact on listenership.

OMG!

Someone ring Dee and give her this amazing relevance.

No doubt she will be delighted to hear all this…..well done Butthers, the savior of Montrosia.

• Advertisement

The best radio and televsion talent in de wurldid could offer their talents for free to Dee 4bes and RTE and they'd be turned down if they didn't have a family member currently working in RTE, or weren't represented by NK Management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭plodder

I think Callan does a good job especially with the monologue which is really quite funny, but not so sure of his interviewing skills. I thought the interview with Helen Mirren was very awkward and stilted. That was something Tubs would have excelled at imo.

Ryan, if you want to dispel a crowd with sounds you could simply stream your own show and the rowdy mob would disappear faster than Bertie Ahern at a lie detector test convention.

Post edited by ButtersSuki on

Esp. if Mirren had a recent death in the family.

Tubs talking about the Super Bowl halftime show now….which of course he hasn’t seen.

Made a complete bollocks of his cue cards there and got stories mixed up mid monologue. He might need a break……

• Advertisement

Ha he he he 😆, bland bland , waffle waffle te he he, everyone is good, no one is bad on strictly, tee hee waffle waffle riffing riffing . Waffle waffle. te he he he 😆. Great show 👏👏👏

Okaaaay. So says to his last guest we don't want to get into anything too heavy today , we'll talk about people struggling during the week ( course you will 😠). Few minutes later .... Tell me about the death of your relative. 🤔🤔🤔🤔

He can't help him self

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Can someone educate me on the puffin situation, what’s that about?

As some sort of a jolly jape he claimed there was no such thing as puffins some time during lockdown and that he simply refused to believe they existed. It was all high jinks and chuckles as he guffawed at the notion of their existence. Then listeners sent it pictures of puffins but Tubs just said they were all fake etc. It was a running “joke” for a few weeks, and will occasionally rear its head again - usually via a listener comment.

It was a joke that wasn’t funny the second it was mentioned, but he kept at it for weeks and then months…..rather like Mr. Duffy when he finds something amusing.

As sure as TLLS will have terrible guests on this week I can guarantee we will hear about puffins again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,048 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

And no doubt over those weeks and months he linked puffins to Iceland, in his search for a free holiday there.

• Advertisement

Free daffodils from local shop.

It was as funny as a kick in the nuts.

There's nothing as bad as someone thinking they are funny and so self unaware that they think they are hilarious (tubs, Duffy, Darcy,)

We've all met people who in life, think that they are hilarious and don't realise when people are doing that fake tubs laughing ha hehe chortle chortle, (in our heads we are screaming please fcuk off you unfunny cnut 🤔😠)

Maybe its me who doesn't get the joke.... Puffins don't exist .ha ha 😂😆🤔 😂😆 hillarious

I told Alexa to “shut the fück up” when he started that carry on at around 0915.

Hasnt worked right since, big red ring around the bint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,048 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Was he fully re-energised this morning after his week off to recharge?

I was doing some quick sums, I assume if he is a company providing a service to RTE, he doesn't receive payment when he takes holidays? If so, that week off would have cost him approx €7500. You'd need to be REALLY tired to take a week off and lose that sort of money. Then again, its all relative to him I suppose.

Of course, I wouldn't put it past him to have some cushy deal with RTE where he actually gets paid when he's off as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭KevRossi

He gets paid for a certain amount of radio shows, TV shows and a certain amount of promotional work for RTE.

Standard seems to be around 38 weeks work for a lot of them, let's say for Ryan it's 190 radio shows in a year. Some of it will be agreed in advance; Christmas, Easter, Bank Holidays etc. Some of it depends on the season and I guess he can take off time if he feels tired, as long as they have a substitute ready.

Whilst at work he's probably supposed to be on site for 3-4 hours a day with prep etc. FWIW, I used to regularly see him pre-COVID in and around Stillorgan Shopping Centre at 10.30-11.00, so they don't seem to place a lot of emphasis on breakdown meetings after the show. I guess he just buggers off and leaves the minions to do the graft. He may record quick promo, apart from that I guess he shows up around 7.00 am.

So if he takes more weeks off than the 14 that he has he'll be paid less. If he's asked to do a little bit more work then you can also guarantee that he'll have the invoice sent in to RTE as well.

Either way, it's a lot of money for few hours with his very little talent in a relatively small country. He's not in as cushy a number as Joe Duffy, but I struggle to think of many people who get paid more, in better job security for doing as little as he does.

That Karl Henry dude has a good number.

Can phone it in.

NK doing his bit placing him.

True. It is an astonishing amount of money for incredibly little output, but pales in comparison to Duffy’s remuneration when taken on a like for like basis.

But at least he doesn’t go around singing the poor mouth a la Duffy……de hard wurkin’ wurkin’ class man wit a wurkin’ class accent and a wurkin’ class wurk ettic and dat.

Tubs really struggling with the cúpla focail there…..

Is he going to refer to every female who was ever on TLLS as “a Late slate Show Alumna” from now on?

Ignoring of course the fact that the term refers to an educational establishment….unless of course he’s implying TLLS is a place of learning…..?

Tubs, the self-appointed book champion of Ireland has never read Harry Potter; but instead watched the first Harry Potter over the weekend.

But Bryan, I thought it was sacrilegious to watch a movie adaptation of a book before you read the book?

• Advertisement

Darren Randolph and Alexandra Burke are expecting their first child…..but much more importantly than that, both of them once appeared on TLLS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Stillborn twins. Lovely :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Still born twin girls. Must have been devastating for a 17 year old.

Riffin Ryan glad in the extreme that he came to work today is putting on an interviewing masterclass:

Long labour?

Epidural?

It sounds horrendous in the extreme.

What did you do then, did you go home?

Where do you keep the photograph?

Someone e-mailed the show 🤔 maybe ?

Sad story of living on cornflakes because they can't live on 100grand a year 🙄

Tubs calls it a very good wage 🙄

Wonder what he calls his wages 👏

And now a story of a dead baby , cheery morning radio 😂😆🙂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

speaking of darcy :) i'm watching pam and tommy on disney and ray would sit nicely with the creeps that creep on pam , they depict a certain type of man, and after rays interview he's actually one of them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

"There you are on your knees..........snigger".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Dictionaries have recognised this usage.

"The definition of an alumnus is someone who previously attended or graduated from a particular school, college or university or someone who had a former association with a particular organization".

I stand corrected then. I was not aware of this update. :(

TYFYS.

His response to a text about Work from Home meaning no days off cos of bad weather:

"Good, we'll get a better work rate out of you".

Imagine him telling you that, even as a joke. Self awareness at its finest. He'd turn your stomach sometimes.

• Advertisement

That said, it is a somewhat grandiose adjective to apply to an appearance on a chat show that would be virtually unknown outside of the island of Ireland.

Advertisement