Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 y.o Driver Dies in 2 am crash!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,583 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

My brother started our fathers lorry many many years ago. It was in gear and it took off. He "drove" it till my dad managed to catch him and get it under control. Scared the hell out of my dad and the consequences could have been disastrous, but I dare say the brother would've had another go, given half a chance. He was a lot younger than the lad in Limerick too.

Condolences to his family and I hope the truck driver gets help and support as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Munstergirl854

I just keep thinking whichever parent thought him how to drive will have enormous guilt...When we were young my dad used to bring us into a field with an old car and teach us about driving and gears... I hadnt a blind bit of interest but still thought it was great craic...

Looking back he was probably teaching us a skill that could have led to tragedy at a young age...god love them all..

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Bicyclette

The parents may not have deliberately taught him to drive, though. If he was a bright child, he may have just picked up the basics by watching his parents and others drive and by asking innocuous questions. And there are lots of videos on youtube. You can find out almost everything you want to know by googling these days.

Its a very sad situation all around, regardless of what caused it. There is a truck driver who will be suffering from PTSD at a minimum and may find it difficult or impossible to return to work, parents who have lost a child, classmates who have lost a friend. And in time, everyone bar his family will move on, those outside his family remembering him only occasionally (both of my daughters lost a classmate/friend when they were in secondary school, one to a traffic accident one to illness)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,598 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

If it was an auto there isn't much to it.

Even if you get a while alone with a manual you'll jerk away with it for a while and pick it up especially if it's a diesel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,326 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

My heart goes out to truck driver. This will haunt him for rest of his life. His poor family have deal with this too.

I hope he gets all the professional care he will need

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Something more going on behind the scenes here that will likely never be known to the public. No point in criticising his mother who has to live with this for the rest of her life

• Registered Users Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Yep. Much more to this tragic story. I think the keyboard warriors should refrain to saying anything unless they can find it in themselves to say something nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭Xander10

I think a lot of people had a preconception of the family and the young boy. Having actually read a bit about them, he appears to have been a quiet caring boy and the incident was a shock and totally out of character for him, leaving friends and family at a loss to understand.

Sympathies to the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Myself and lots of friends could easily drive cars and tractors at the age of 10 way back in the 1990s.

In 1954, my next door neighbour had an accident at the age of 11 using a ferguson 20 and a mowing machine on his own one night.

Many of the xbox generation of youngsters nowadays cant drive until their mid 20s.

The point I'm making is that this tragedy was no reflection on the child's ability to operate a car, or his ability to take a car, it's nothing unusual for a capable 12 year old to do such a thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭mayota

Myself and my brother were the same, we taught our younger brother to drive then. He could drive a manual gearbox car, change gear, three point turn etc when he was 6 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭BurgerFace

Aren't you going to blame the parents for something?

"Why didn't they have him chained to the bed and the keys to the car locked in a safe!!"

And the house gets burnt down and the kid is a cinder..."The bastard parents for chaining him to the bed and someone could have driven that car for help if the keys weren't in a safe and his little sister might still be alive!" JAIL THOSE parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Eh?

Such a stupid comment.

Where does it say anything about the young lad having been taught to drive by someone.

Or is it just a stupid made up assumption.?

And because your dad brought you for a jaunt in a field, you say he was teaching you something that could lead to you killing yourself. - that's a crazy conjecture.

These days you can learn anything via YouTube videos.

The poor lad had a moment of madness. It ended tragically. It could easily have been more tragic. And by the response of locals it seems he was a decent young lad too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Over your amateur dramatics yet?

I never mentioned about chaining kids to beds or locking keys in safes, what I did ask was what can be done about 12 y.o kids being out at 2.00am and taking a car for a drive. It would seem from some of the replies on here that it's an almost universal occurence to which I would ask Why? surely there is something amiss if so many people did/do such things. It was never a thing when I was younger so what's changed? Are we now into a generational thing of raising feral children?

Advertisement