Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can we integrate Unionism into a possible United Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,789 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

No, the basic Saorview package does not include BBC and ITV free to air. Where packages are available through other services, certain broadcasts, particularly live events are not available because of rights issues.

In the event of a united Ireland, EU law would make it very difficult, if not impossible, to continue free to air provision of BBC and ITV. In fact, BBC NI and UTV could cease to exist if they could not get a licence. Certainly, they would face a real fight with RTE and Virgin Media for rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,776 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

And you'd be crazy enough to ask people to remain in a rogue state that refused to pay pensions they are morally obligated to pay because that state got the benefit of their lifetimes work.

You have fallen for a Tory minister scaremongering. No surprise there really, Unionists do it all the time too. The difference I fancy with the Scots is that once bitten twice shy, they won't do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

There is every obligation for the UK Gov. to pay pensions when they took pension mandatory contributions. Anyone who has made social insurance/PRSI contributions are entitled to a state pension from that country. Have a look at the Irish State Pension application form, which goes into detail on what other countries you have worked in and where you maybe eligible for a pension. I know someone who worked for about 20 years in the US, came home, worked here and who is now getting a partial US pension for the years they worked there.

The Irish Times letters pages explain it very well for you here. https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/pensions-and-a-united-ireland-1.4801066

Now, instead of 7 or 8 million people making individual applications to the UK for their pensions, I think they might go for handing over a lump sum and let Scotland/Ireland use that to fund the pensions that these people paid into.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,618 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Its democracy. We can't expect our 17 seats to punch above their weight. If we dont like we can leave. It seems to be that southeners don't like the fact that northeners are excepting to stay in a democratic UK. Devolution was to address much of this but TBH Stormont is doing a pretty grim job of it and when DUP were the Kingmakers at Westminster, they blew it and focused on blackmailing their UK friends

You are missing the point.

Pensions are paid from current revenue. Current revenue is split when a country divides so current expenditure on pensions would also be split. Those living in Northern Ireland at the time of the split will be paid out of Northern Ireland tax revenues which will be going to Dublin instead of Westminister, so the Dublin government will have to bear the cost.

That means that there will be no saving on the Westminister subsidy.

As for your Irish Times letter page explanation, I can't read it without subscription, but I refer you to the relevant thread on Irish Times letter pages for some explanation of credibility.

From the little I have read of it, the letter-writer suffers from the same miscomprehension that you, SF and the SNP do, that the question of those pensions is covered by existing legal arrangements. Simply put, they aren't.

What will happen is this. The payment of existing pensioners in Northern Ireland will be transferred to the united Ireland state. For future pensioners, entitlements based on contributions made in Northern Ireland will be the responsibility of the united Ireland state, contributions made in rUK will be the responsibility of rUK. In that sense the existing legal arrangements will continue to apply, but with different countries now in place.

• Advertisement

i think the masses in both countries have loads in common and could integrate fine provided roi is able to own up to its sectarianism and make some changes. I think ni has acknowledged the sectarianism in our country and are working to try and resolve and/or manage it. I don’t think roi has began that journey.

What sectarianism are you referring to here?

will official flags only fly on designated days?

I'd imagine that there will be no need to fly any flags in what will be the former NI. As we are really not big into flags in the south, I imagine that no one will notice whether there is a flag flying over the Dail or not.

Will the local catholic boys scout group have to apply for permission to walk in a group?

Is this to do with abuse?

Will the photo of the president need to be removed from areas where unionists are working so as it doesn’t offend?

I don't know of any workplace in Ireland who would want to hang a portrait of the President of Ireland in it (probably down to the fact that the President isn't a lifetime job).

Will there be a minority language act to ensure Irish courts etc can operate in Ulster Scots?

If there is demand for it, yes. (and Ulster Scots is a dialect, not a language).

nothing there that would interest me, but it’s what the current minority seem to want in ni so I guess there will be similar requests.

Nothing too huge there to get excited about.

That nonsense aside, I think my community would want freedom to enjoy our culture. To watch our British tv, support our British football teams, enjoy our cultural parades, have our 11th bonfires, etc, etc.

We do all of those things (and like you, pay through the nose for Sky tv etc). Only issue I'd have is with the size and scale of the bonfires - they are an environmental hazard. I'd be all for small community bonfires at the end of the street - like they were originally.

I don’t think any unionist will give a toss if Roman Catholism continues to dominate your state television, schooling, etc. Maybe we can introduce you to intigtated schools, integrated sports without gingoistic nationalism, equality in employment, etc

I can't help laughing at that attempt at a windup! 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Harryd225

The major factors in the North's subvention are Defence spending, Northern Ireland's share of the the UK'S national debt and pensions.

While the UK could theoretically walk away from it's pensions obligation in the context of a united Ireland, there is no reason to assume it would as the pensions are based on contributions made to the UK exchequer, the UK also pays pensions to tons of people in the Republic who previously worked in the UK.

The UK wouldn't be walking away from its pension obligations - it would be sharing them out among the taxpayers due to pay for them!!!

Pensions are paid from current revenue, which bit of that is so hard to understand? Remember the UK exchequer loses revenue when the Northern Irish taxpayers start paying into Dublin.

You can, but you need a dish to do so and a duel freeview box that works on both systems.

I use this digital tv system (ibox) which is only available in Republic and has about 60 stations for about a 10er a month.

While income tax and some other taxes were devolved, national insurance was not. That is still centralised.

The point is that HM Revenue has been taking money from workers into a centralised fund for the last 100 years from people in Northern Ireland. Those contributors of National Insurance had no say as to how the British Government decided to use that money and when. They own that pension fund and have a right to it when they have fulfilled the necessary criteria of age, contributions etc.

An extract from one of the Irish Times letters:

.....Similarly, when or if Northerners start paying PRSI contributions, their state pension entitlement will be in two parts, determined by their contributions under the British and Irish systems. European law governs this, as does the Convention on Social Security between the Government of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and the Government of Ireland, signed in Dublin on February 1st, 2019.

Here is a link to what taxes are devolved.

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/explainers/tax-and-devolution

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Harryd225

The UK will more than likely continue to pay the pensions in Northern Ireland, there is a small possibility that the responsibility will fall on Dublin but it's unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭jh79

Doesn't that just mean they are entitled to the pension not that the British are obliged to pay it?

Exactly.

The UK will be divided. The rainbow-eyed United Irelanders believe that the revenue will be divided so that Northern Ireland can give its taxes to Dublin but that the happy English taxpayer won't divide the expenditure and give the Northern Ireland pensions to Dublin.

As wishful thinking goes, it is right up there in fairyland.

It means that the British Government took money from them so that they would have a pension later in life. The British could decide to not honour that, but it would not be advisable because I suspect they would have several million angry Scots & Northern Irish pensioners demanding their pension.

The UK have set a precedent already with the EU and have coughed up for pensions of British people working in EU Constituents. I wonder why they did that, bearing in mind that they would have had a lot of public support in the UK to do so.

No, the British Government will be screwed if they don't pay it. Explain why they paid the EU Pensions when if could have just refused (and as far as I know, those people were exempt from paying tax & insurance to the UK / EU as well, so not even in as good a position as those who have been paying national insurance to the UK.

When you get something wrong, it is better to do so on a spectacular scale. So national insurance is centralised??

"In accordance with Section 88(3) of the Northern Ireland Act 1998, arrangements are made, in consultation with the Government Actuary, to make transfers between the Great Britain and Northern Ireland NIFs in order to maintain parity of balances"

Now, this is a good one. This shows clearly that if we had a united Ireland tomorrow, then if the Northern Ireland people kept paying insurance contributions at the same rate, there would be a £664m sterling hole in Northern Ireland pensions as the two funds are separate and GB would no longer be subsidising it. Now, if their national insurance rates were reduced to the levels in the South, there would be an even bigger hole.

I suppose the easy solution would be to increase PRSI in the South.

Glad to have found the evidence to finally nail the lie that GB would continue to pay.

The British like everyone else are not 'obliged' to do anything they don't want to do.

Will they welch on pensions is the question and the answer is the same as the one to will they welch on their international agreements...yes they will huff and puff and threaten but they know the consequences of welching are far reaching. Would anyone left in the UK trust them again if they refuse monies they got the benefit of?

I doubt it very much. Don't fall for the scaremongering from the usual crew.

Read the evidence Francie. They have set up the whole scenario to welch, with separate funds for Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

They won't be welching, they will be transferring responsibility to Dublin.

Yes, it is centralised for collection by HMRC. It is under the control of the British Government who have collected the contributions.

''Section 141(2) of the Social Security Administration (Northern Ireland) Act 1992, as amended by the Social Security Contributions (Transfer of Functions, etc.) (Northern Ireland) Order 1999, moved the management of the NIF from the Department of Health and Social Services for Northern Ireland to the management of the Inland Revenue (now HMRC).Under Section 142 of the Social Security Administration (Northern Ireland) Act 1992, NICs received by HMRC are paid into the NIF after deducting the appropriate NHS allocation (see note 2). HMRC determine the appropriate apportionment, which is approved by HM Treasury.''

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1041298/Northern_Ireland_National_Insurance_Fund_Account_-_2020_to_2021.pdf

They are doing the classic Tory. Kite flying and scaremongering in an attempt to bully people. Swallow it if you wish.

• Advertisement

''I suppose the easy solution would be to increase PRSI in the South.Glad to have found the evidence to finally nail the lie that GB would continue to pay.''

You won't like this Blanch - but according to that report of the NI fund, it is actually funding itself (and has done so for the last 2 years) so there will be no need to increase PRSI contributions here.

You obviously missed Note 3 to the accounts. The amount paid in by rUK has gone up by £100m from one year to the other. It is only paying for itself because of massive subsidisation from rUK, which won't happen any more after a united Ireland.

3. Transfers from Great Britain NIF 2021 2020 For the year ended 31 March £000 £000 Payments from Great Britain NIF 664,000 564,400 The amount shown in this account is in respect of financial adjustments made between the Northern Ireland NIF and the Great Britain NIF in accordance with Section 88(3) of the Northern Ireland Act 1998. Transfers between the Great Britain and Northern Ireland NIF are made so that, as far as practicable, the balance in the Northern Ireland Fund is maintained at 2.77% of the joint balance of the two Funds. This percentage split is based on the relative proportions of population aged 16 and over as shown in the most recent data published by ONS. Payments are made on a provisional basis and are adjusted when end of year balances in the two Funds are available. The transfer is based on the Fund balances for Great Britain and Northern Ireland which themselves are based on the differences between the levels of receipts and payments and therefore the results are subject to considerable variability year on year. This system of parity payments acts as a final safeguard against serious imbalances between the two NIF Funds. 

100% clear why GB have set this up like this. In a border poll, this gap would form a big part of the debate as NI pensioners would worry about the South's ability to fund that gap, especially as we have lower PRSI.

You did not get to Note 5: Financial Performance!

''The National Insurance scheme is financed on a pay as you go basis with contribution rates set at a level broadly necessary to meet the expected benefits expenditure in that year, after taking into account any other payments and receipts, and to maintain a working balance. Changes in contribution levels, in response to the needs of the Fund, take time to implement, therefore a working balance is necessary as the NIF has no borrowing powers. The NIF is obligated under legislation to fund any future identified underpayments or overpayments. This would include providing funds to satisfy provisions as they are settled in Government departments that administer payments on behalf of the Fund.

In February 2020, the Government Actuary estimated the minimum working balance in 2020 to 2021 to be £479.5 million, being 16.7% of estimated benefit expenditure. The balance on the Fund at 31 March 2021 was £1.2 billion and was above the estimated minimum requirement throughout the year. No Treasury Grant was therefore required in 2020 to 2021. The Government Actuary has projected an increase in the balance of the Fund in the year ended 31 March 2022 and has indicated that no Treasury Grant will be required in that year. However, as a contingency, under article 4(3) of the Social Security (Northern Ireland) Order 1993 (S.I. 1993/592 (N.I.2)), HM Treasury Ministers have made provision for a Treasury Grant of up to 17% of estimated benefit payments.

This equates to a provisional facility of £448.0 million. The financial performance of the Fund has required close monitoring since March 2020 to assess the impacts of COVID-19 on the Fund balance in 2020 to 2021 (see section 4, page 10)''

You obviously don't understand Note 5.

"The National Insurance scheme is financed on a pay as you go basis with contribution rates set at a level broadly necessary to meet the expected benefits expenditure in that year, after taking into account any other payments and receipts, and to maintain a working balance. "

Pay-as-you-go basis, so the mythical fund you referred to back in post 762 just doesn't exist.

What does exist, as you have pointed out in Note 5, is a small amount of money to deal with transitional situations, as the Note says "a working balance is necessary as the NIF has no borrowing powers". That £1.2 billion will prove useful during the interim period as we take over the fund, and ramp up our PRSI contributions over a few years to pay for Northern Ireland pensioners. If used in full in one go, it would pay for two years of the annual rUK subsidy.

Edit: P.S. And we haven't even gone near public service pensions!!!

Not a bit.

Uncomfortable that there are still Irish people who will take what a Tory would say as gospel. Look where that got your country men and women, north and south, east and west.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭jh79

Sorry, are we arguing that they can't legally stop paying the pension or that they won't?

Not taking what a Tory says as gospel, just examining the evidence of what they have done.

I have looked at the evidence and found:

(1) There is no centralised fund, pensions have been separated between NI and rUK

(2) The system is pay as you go, not a big pot of money sitting in Westminister

(3) The NI fund is subsidised by the rUK fund to the extent of £660m

(4) There is no legal obligation to continue this subsidy in the event of a united Ireland

If you disagree with any of those facts, present your evidence.

I know it is a pay-as-you-go and I also made the point that its the British Government's decision not to have created a fund in the first place and so have a responsibility to those people they have taken contributions from.

It seems that the contributions are funding pensions at the moment and estimated transfer of subsidy was not necessary (2019 they estimated they would require about 500K).

I've checked back to 2016, and no treasury grant was required to fund NI pensions. Even if a sub was required, 500K is only the price of one home and a shed on developers prices which you seem to think is fairly cheap!

• Advertisement

That's approx the amount of money we give to one RTE programme (Operation Transformation)

Advertisement